Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you refer to your character when you game?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Do you say "I bust a cap in his ass," or do you say "Critias busts a cap in his ass?"
Grinder
I.
Pthgar
Both.

If I am playing with my main character, Ender, I use I. Any other character i refer to by name. I never even thought about it till you asked.
Critias
Either/or. Depends on how long we've been playing that day, how the IC/OOC chatter is going, etc.
Backgammon
I say I
Ryu
Both, except for combat where itīs always I.
ChuckRozool
Always in the third person and always preceded by the word "The"

For example, "The Mick will pull out his knife and slice the guards neck..."
or "The Snagglepuss walks over to the elf and caves his head in with a well placed punch..." (he's a troll)
stevebugge
Some of each, it isn't real consistent
Firewall
I always use the first person ("I", "we") when I am physically there, third person ("he", "she", "it") when playing by e-mail or on a forum. Outside the game, it is always third-person.
Kagetenshi
Varies widely.

~J
Drraagh
It's a matter of the action. If it's the present, I refer to my character as I. Like I will take out my gun and search for the location of the sound. If it's in a future action, or a previous action, like in a BG, then sometimes I do refer to my character as 'he, she, it' as the case may be. That would be along the lines of 'How would you break into this compound?' 'Well, my character would do this, and then they would do this and so on and so forth'.

Reason I tend to do that is during the current, I see the character as an extension of myself, but for the non-present actions, then it is more seen as like playing a strategy game, and when I play those, like Starcraft, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, etc, the characters are themselves, not any sort of extension of me.
Calvin Hobbes
I use second person.

"You see two guards. What do you do?"
"You shoot them!"
"Huh?"

I usually get thrown out of games.
Kyoto Kid
..usually by nicknames (particularly since at times we have a small group and I find myself running two characters), like:

"The Kid goes cuisinart on the ghouls" (KK4.1)
"Leetle girl sets up a vid loop on the sec cameras" (Violet - she kind of got stuck with this one by the group from the extraction run I did)
"Da brat tries to schmooze past the bouncer with her charms and good looks" (Ace)
"'Cane' punches the Yak so hard his ancestors will feel it" (Hurricane Hannah)
Anythingforenoughnuyen
In the group that I play with, the convention is for players to refer to their own characters using "I" (I do this, I do that), and to refer to other players by their characters names if the action is taking place in game "Wolf, cover the door". Although, in reality, we tend to forget that as the game goes on, and slip in and out of that usage, and personal names start to get used.

AFE nuyen.gif
Lindt
It changes on me all the time. I switch between first and limited third as it suits me for the situation.
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (Pthgar)
Both.

If I am playing with my main character, Ender, I use I. Any other character i refer to by name. I never even thought about it till you asked.

Do we have an OSC fan in the house?
Fresno Bob
I refer to my characters with interpretive dance. Like Calvin Hobbes, I get thrown out of many games as well.
Dog
I am I. (Bonus karma for Q reference!)
mfb
i try to keep it third person, but first person is... faster, or something.
hyzmarca
There are some actions that you really don't want to describe in first person, just in case someone has an audio recorder.
Geekkake
/me.
Frag-o Delux
While playing I always refer to me as I and the players as their characters names.

And for the vast majority of the time so do the other players, because I wont respond to them unless they call the right character by name.

Our world of shadowrun is usually devoid of tonys, marcs, steves, bens and other common names. Because new players would say I call tony or ben and the GM would "answer the phone." The new player would blab about something then realise he wasnt talking to the right "tony". Then go on a hunt to kill that person to keep them quiet.

So unless its an agreed OOC moment everyone says I and refers to the player by his characters name. Anyone that uses obvious metaplotting/OOC info also gets punished. smile.gif
mfb
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
There are some actions that you really don't want to describe in first person, just in case someone has an audio recorder.

that's the nice thing about playing online. you don't have to wait for someone with an audio recorder to gather incriminating evidence against you. all the incriminating evidence is recorded and stored automatically, all the time!
Wounded Ronin
I make an effort not to use the first person because I want to emphasize how anything really stupid I do which kills the whole party was in character rather than boneheaded on my part because I'm stoopid.
Samaels Ghost
I met some of the guys I play with now through Shadowrun. There are times when I refer to them by their character names while we're just hanging out.

It gets weird indifferent.gif
TonkaTuff
Third, generally. Mostly out of necessity. Almost all of my gaming is done on IRC - and since your SN is always the first word of any message you send, it's just easier to keep it in third, outside of dialog.
Conskill
Third person by preferance. I'll slip into "I" sometimes, but for the past few years I've tried to avoid that whenever I think about it. Had a Call of Cthulhu game where the GM insisted on using "you" and "I" all the time. Even when chatting about events out of the session. Creeeeepy.
winterhawk11
About evenly split between first and third person, with no real rhyme or reason to it. It just ends up being whatever I feel like at the time.

I used to game with a guy in college who always referred to his character as "my character," as in, "My character is going to open the treasure chest." (It was a D&D type game.) Annoyed the hell out of everybody else in the game, but we could never seem to break him of the habit.
Shrike30
I'm newly arrived in stevebugge's game, which uses a "pool of characters" approach. Probably going to have to switch from first-person to third-person, now...
eidolon
It varies.

"I blah blah", "Character blah blahs", "My character blah blahs".
knasser

I attempt to enforce an IC rule for player-player interaction and when talking to NPCs, i.e. "OMFWOG - take out the elemental!" So it's normally 'I'.

Third person mostly used when I (GM) am describing events, but sometimes 'you' if we're caught up in it.

I find this is the best approach for keeping people in character and ignore slips out of character.
SuperFly
I use the /me command since all my gaming is done over IRC. =P
Raventhewingedwarrior
I its the easiest way and i fibd it focuses me on the game more
thefather
ya i my self us I. and dont worry -samaels ghost- we'll call eachother by are runner names all the time, there more like nicknames now.lol smile.gif
SL James
QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (hyzmarca)

that's the nice thing about playing online. you don't have to wait for someone with an audio recorder to gather incriminating evidence against you. all the incriminating evidence is recorded and stored automatically, all the time!

Until Darwin comes along.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Shanshu Freeman @ Sep 7 2006, 03:53 PM)
Do we have an OSC fan in the house?

Sort of. I really liked Ender's Game but I'm not a big fan of the other books of his I've read, even the sequals to Ender's Game. Ender (my SR Character) is a phys-ad vampire hunter, so not really like OSC's ender at all. I just totally yoinked the name.
Chrome Shadow
"I bust a cap in his ass"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012