Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pistol whipping
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lorechaser
Based on another thread - are there specific rules for pistol whipping, rifle-butt smashing, bayonetting, etc?

Would a pistol whip or rifle butt be based off of clubs? Could you reasonably consider a character "armed" for the purposes of melee combat, and roll reaction + clubs to parry with a rifle butt? Would there be a downside?

Could you weapon focus your pistol for a true Gun-Fu adept?
Moon-Hawk
I would say yes. Clubs. And I see no reason why you couldn't parry with a rifle butt, but it would probably damage the weapon. I'd say the weapon is damaged if the defender glitches or if the attackers has 4+ hits. There used to be an option for melee hardening that would mitigate or eliminate that effect, though, and if a character was planning on fighting with their guns I'd let them pay a little extra and I'd forget about the 4+ hits for the attacker thing. They might still mess up the guns on a glitch, but that's no different than any other melee weapon.
lorechaser
And what kind of damage would they do?

I'd suspect a pistol whip as unarmed, a rifle butt as a simple club, and a bayonet as a knife?
Moon-Hawk
I think a pistol whip should be somewhat better than unarmed. Even if it's just a switch from stun to physical without changing the DV, but somehow it's gotta hurt more to be hit with a pistol than a fist.
Rifle butt as simple club, yeah, I like that.
Bayonet as a knife, or maybe +1DV since you can put more power behind it, and with reach 1.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm not citing anything, I'm making this stuff up.
lorechaser
Indeed.

But I couldn't find any official wording, so in the absence of someone citing chapter and verse, I'm gonna try to come up with something reasonable.

It's just to fun an idea to ignore for a Gun-Fu adept.
mfb
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
And I see no reason why you couldn't parry with a rifle butt, but it would probably damage the weapon.

eh, probably not, honestly. at least, not significantly. if you can ignore the effects of parrying on melee weapons, you can ignore the effects of parrying on most firearms.
Zen Shooter01
I'd treat a pistol as a club with no reach. It's three or four pounds of steel and heavy duty polymer. It hurts when it hits the skullbone.
de4dmeta1
Am I the only person who thinks that maybe one should need Pole-Arms to use a bayonet properly? There is a big difference between shanking someone, and trying to stab them after you've tied the knife to the end of a stick.
mfb
you do use it more like a polearm than any standard edged weapon.
Moon-Hawk
Oh skill? Definitely polearm, no question. My comparing it to a knife was for damage only.
Glayvin34
Has any one ever played a game on Xbox or PS2 called Darkwatch?

The main character in the game has firearms that tend to have blades on them. The butt of his shotgun is the head of an axe, there is a blade extended from the tip of the barrel to the bottom of the clip on his pistol. I poked around on the internet looking for images but I couldn't find any. It would make sense to have a Gun-fu Adept with weapon foci that are blades attached to his guns.
Shrike30
If memory serves, SR3's rifle bayonet did the same damage as a spear. Now, we just have to go back and look up how much damage a spear did compared to some other weapons, and we should be set for a conversion.
venenum
Pistol whipping and rifle butts are are on page 149 of the bbb. on the melee weapons table. They have rules already written out.
Butterblume
I seem to have missed that... sometimes it's impressive where all those little infos are hidden in the BBB.
venenum
QUOTE (Butterblume)
I seem to have missed that... sometimes it's impressive where all those little infos are hidden in the BBB.

I am learning so much little known facts because i am making charts for some new players in my group so it will be even faster to learn so form 15 minutes to 5 min.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012