Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question, Adept Geasa Tweak
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bryce963
On page 31 of SM, if suggests for adepts to modify the geasa negative quality to reduce the cost of a specific power by 25%, and apply one of the normal conditions to that specific power. Now I assume by taking this you also don't get the +10 BP for the quality, but does that that +10 count against the amount of negative points you can gain? Search from the last 60 days, which would be the time in which SM has been out, has failed to get any results. The tweak section seems specific enough on what the change does for the adept, but vague on what the change does to the quality.
Thank you for input,
-Bryce
Slithery D
It's a carry over from an SR3 rule. Ignore BP entirely - if you take a geas on an adept power, you get a 25% reduction in it Magic cost. The end. This is the case whether you take it at character creation or later after raising your Magic and buying more powers.
Bryce963
OK, thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure, so theoretically you could have as many geasa as your magic attribute correct? Or would the cap of no more than 35 gained still count? Or could an adept have it on everything, and just have to be really careful not to break them all, but the mage could only have 3 at most, that seems a bit off to me.

Sorry to add more to the fire but, how would others think focus addiction would work for a weapon focus? It says makes drain and addiction tests at -X, I mean I would see it as being more ready to use your weapon to solve things, mabye having to roll composure or wp in a really stressfull, or embarassing situation to not just draw and start attacking, or mabye have to make a composure or wp test to use another weapon, so as to not bring a sword to a gun fight for example, all at the -2.
Eyeless Blond
Well, there used to be a rule that you couldn't have more geasea than your unaugmented Willpower att. Does that still stand? That was always a more imporant limit for adepts than for mages anyway; if you had 5-6 geasea as a mage you were pretty well screwed if you ever broke even one.
SL James
QUOTE (Slithery D)
It's a carry over from an SR3 rule.

Actually, it's a carry-over from 2e.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Bryce963 @ Sep 7 2006, 08:07 PM)
OK, thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure, so theoretically you could have as many geasa as your magic attribute correct? Or would the cap of no more than 35 gained still count? Or could an adept have it on everything, and just have to be really careful not to break them all, but the mage could only have 3 at most, that seems a bit off to me.

In the past an adept could have a single geas that applied to multiple powers.

For example, Ramses Tut Osiris Bubaloo (not his given name), an Adept follower of Ra with Magic 5 could have his Improved Reflexes 2 and Killing Hands geased to Daytime for a net savings of 0.875 PP and then leave his Temperature Tollerance 4, Traceless Walk and Sustenance ungeased.

This costs him a total of 4.875PP.

However, the player could look at this and decide to squeeze out a little bit more by geasing sustenance to Spend 4 hours per day in the sun and taking Thermal Vision geased to Nighttime so that he can see better in the darkness. With this adjustment his cost would be a total of 5.

So, at night the Adept would have thermal vision but he would not have it during the day; during the day the Adept would have Killing Hands and Imroved Reflexes 2 but he would not have them at night; the Adept would have Sustinence only if he can bask in the sun for 4 hours daily; and he would always have traceless walk and tmeperature tollerance.

The adept cost reduction geasa directly limits the usability of an adept's powers. He can't just break the geasa and use his powers with a penalty, unlike a magician. It isn't broken. It is also the primary answer to 'ware grades. It isn't really equivilant to magician geasa so much as it is equivilant to a samurai buying his cyber at alpha grade only with far more restrictions.
Bryce963
Ok, I got, thanks hyzmarca
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012