Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Denver Campaign
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Dastardly Deejmeister
I've just started a new SR game set in Denver, and have realized just how useless the maps from the boxed set really are. The color map showing all the sectors has no details. The detail sector maps don't line up with each other so it's hard to get a sense of where you're looking at.

Does anyone have/know of an area map of Denver with the locations marked? Something like the online Seattle map posted here awile back would really rock.

On a related note: does anyone else think the zone defence force being made up of "loaner" troops from treaty nations just wouldn't work? I mean, the individual sectors already have thier "civilian" forces in place, so why would Ghostwalker invite overt military forces in? If he wanted an army of his own, wouldn't it make more sense to hire one outright, or even rent from a corp or merc unit like MET 2000?
Squire
The Box Set had a map that was seperate from the book that's quite useful (color coded by sector).

I've used it to get around town IRL when I didn't have any other map- it's pretty good.
DigitalMage
I ordered a laminated map from a book store and then bought a permanent marker and drew on the sectors (course since Ghostwalker came I would have to change that). It takes a bit of time to work out where the borders run just from the descriptions in the book but it is possible.

It is also useful as I can then use non-permanent markers to annotate the map for specific adventures.
Athenor
Until you hit downtown, the sectors make more or less sense. They go out like spokes from the central area, which was Aztlan's claim. While there is the -large- map of downtown, wihch is somewhat uncomprehensable, there was also a second map that showed the landmass of Denver. It was in full-color (the same way as the CalFree map), and the pictures in the individual chapters of the Denver player's book were taken from this.

As for figuring out Downtown: The itty-bitty bottom strip, where the government buildings are, are in the Aztlan sector. On the remaining 3 sides are parts of the CAS sector itself. The downtown area is divided on a diagonal between the Sioux in the North, and UCAS on the South. The map is generally -really- good at showing the highlights of the city.

If you don't have access to the Denver source material, Shadows of North America has a re-printing of the map, with the new buildings of importance labeled, and the rebuilt government facilities shown... Just remember that the entirety of Aztlan got grabbed by the CAS.

On a side note: I've got unfettered access to the Sioux and Aztlan sectors (lot of good that does me now... ).. Anyone have other sector cards they'd be willing to part with?

Athenor
Sphynx
Just remember....

There are no walls in Denver! nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx
Athenor
Well yah, now that Ghostwalker decided to give himself a dust bath... wink.gif

Athenor
Hot Wheels
Pretty much any good bookstore like Borders or Barnes & Noble should have a good tourist map of Denver you can use for street outlay. Just make a few adjustments for the corp faciliites.
Pistons
QUOTE (The Dastardly Deejmeister)
On a related note: does anyone else think the zone defence force being made up of "loaner" troops from treaty nations just wouldn't work? I mean, the individual sectors already have thier "civilian" forces in place, so why would Ghostwalker invite overt military forces in? If he wanted an army of his own, wouldn't it make more sense to hire one outright, or even rent from a corp or merc unit like MET 2000?

He didn't invite them; they were already there to ostensibly "defend" against him. Not to mention it's been implied or outright hinted that each sector had armies there frequently disguised as "sector security;" the original Treaty of Denver stipulated that each sector have no military.

Basically, he's 1) using already available resources, 2) keeping each sector on a (mostly) even keel in regard to military forces and infighting, and 3) garnering support and loyalty. Even with his attitudes in regard to the "younger races," what would you do if you preferred to have their loyalty: hire a bunch of mercenaries who don't know thing one about the place you live and all its nuances, social and otherwise, and take away potential jobs from your people, or would you take from the local populace? Even Machiavelli recognized when it was more prudent to have your people love you than fear you.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Pistons)
He didn't invite them; they were already there to ostensibly "defend" against him. Not to mention it's been implied or outright hinted that each sector had armies there frequently disguised as "sector security;" the original Treaty of Denver stipulated that each sector have no military.

IIRC, the old Denver book basically said that the governments skirted the issue. Whilst they weren't allowed to station troops in the Zone, they were within their rights to use it as a way-station in transfering troops around. So of course, magically the place seemed to become the hub of military transfers. Flight of fighter-bombers would stop by, stay for the maximum amount of time allowed and then carry on to their destination, being replaced by another flight that was just 'passing through'. Repeat ad nauseum.
Abstruse
I've got my residency pass for CAS in my wallet ready and waiting for the Treaty of Denver. I think I've lost my 24 pass to Aztlan though...

I always thought the maps in the Denver set were pretty good personally. But if you want something better, do what everyone's saying and buy a map from a bookstore or travel agency and grab some markers.

The Abstruse One
The Dastardly Deejmeister
QUOTE (Pistons)

Basically, he's 1) using already available resources, 2) keeping each sector on a (mostly) even keel in regard to military forces and infighting, and 3) garnering support and loyalty. Even with his attitudes in regard to the "younger races," what would you do if you preferred to have their loyalty: hire a bunch of mercenaries who don't know thing one about the place you live and all its nuances, social and otherwise, and take away potential jobs from your people, or would you take from the local populace? Even Machiavelli recognized when it was more prudent to have your people love you than fear you.

Hmmm. I thought it said he specifically demanded the formation of the zone defense force, implying that they were imported, as military forces were forbidden.

So basically, you think Ghostwalker's trying to subvert popular support of the troops away from thier governments? That would certainly fit the dragon manipulation profile. Of course the troops aren't denver residents, so I don't know how much popular support he's getting out of the deal on the street. Again, it seems like a better idea to recruit directly from the residents of denver, in keeping with the spirit of the original treaty (which didn't include separate zones of control by treaty governments).
FlakJacket
But then you have to go through the bother of the whole training process. Much easier to just use some loaners and subvert them. All you have to do is make your governence look more enlightened and that youactually give a stuff about the residents compared to their own governments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012