Full Version: Swiss Mini Gun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Crusher Bob
Ultra small colt python copy grinbig.gif
eidolon
I can see the next ad campaign's ammunition line:

Fires 2.34mm irritants. biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
I don't care what the official company line is, next time you post something like this, you expand "mini" to "miniature" nyahnyah.gif

wink.gif

~J
Arethusa
I call shens. There are no actual pictures of it, and it's pretty amusing how the BATFE's had a complete fit over a gun that is, in theory, only marginally more dangerous than an airsoft pistol.

[edit]

Yeah, this is not what comes to mind when I read "mini gun".
eidolon
Did you ... miss the pictures all over the website? Or do you mean that the first time you looked, you were expecting a multi-barrel autofire weapon? Clarity, man.

wink.gif
Arethusa
There is not a single real picture. Those are all renders.
mfb
QUOTE (SwissMiniGun)
This firearm is a scaled-down model of the much acclaimed and mystical Colt Python...

haxx, ranged weapon foci are non-canon.
Fresno Bob
You might put someone's eye out with that!
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I call shens. There are no actual pictures of it, and it's pretty amusing how the BATFE's had a complete fit over a gun that is, in theory, only marginally more dangerous than an airsoft pistol.

Not really. It has been illegal to import many small-calibur pistols for quite some time.

You see, from the late 60s to the early 80s, all black and hispanic people, without a single exception, would get together on saturday nights and shoot at each other with cheap small-calibur handguns.

Congress, of ocurse, being the responsible governing body it is, decided to ban the importation of these 'Saturday night specials' to prevent this. The theory being that if poor people couldn't aford guns then they wouldn't be shooting at each other.

Yes, I am being sarcastic. Unfortunately, Congress wasn't.
Arethusa
I don't disagree with that. I'm calling bullshit because I don't think it exists.

Just for fun, I'm going to quote Jeff Cooper.
QUOTE (Jeff Cooper)
As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a .25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody— and he finds out about it— he may be very angry with you.
PlainWhiteSocks
Not only do you get to annoy people with it, it's going to cost you $5500 to do so. eek.gif
Austere Emancipator
I'd say $5500 is a very reasonable price for a non-existent item.
eidolon
Bah. Lack of photos is enough to think it doesn't exist? You're easy to dissuade.

Now, if you worked some contacts, made some calls, and got to the end of the chain and found out that it was an elaborate joke, you win. But otherwise, you can't really say with any certainty that it doesn't exist.

Well, you can, but it's not very logical.
Austere Emancipator
Uhh, yeah, the fact that they are trying to pass off poorly designed if nicely colored and light-effected renders as a gun makes me think there is no gun.

Since you're into logic, could you tell me why they faked the photos of the "ammunition" and the "gun" with its "holster" being carried and held in someone's palm if the weapon really existed?

[Edit]Since the firm they claim produced the ammunition actually exists and is apparently concentrated on a related field, I am now assuming that somebody has actually made some of those cartridges, as a lark -- though based on the only possibly real photograph I found of one (might still be an intentionall blurred render) they appear milled from brass and gun metal (or something similar) and are non-functional, having no primer, and the projectile is not attached to the case like it's supposed to.

Also: The street address given for the "company" making the "gun" is "2 Fantasy Road...[/Edit]
eidolon
Forgot the wink.gif.

But keep arguing if you like.
Austere Emancipator
Okay. I've seen too many idiots saying too many blatantly stupid things to be able to tell.
PlainWhiteSocks
Seems at least some other people believe it's real.
The video is.... well it's there.
News Story

There have also been these... Austrian Miniature

/rant
wth is that reporter thinking? i'm more afraid of stapling my finger than a projectile that small travelling that slow. They say it will penetrate skin. At what range. Maybe less than 4 feet. Will it penetrate my jean jacket at 4 feet? How about my Oakley sunglasses? I have metal push pins that I use to play "push pin darts" at my desk. Me and another guy throw them between 6-8 feet. They all stick in the cork board, and I'm sure they'd stick in somebody's arm if we threw that way. I sure as heck wouldn't rob a bank or hijack a plane with the little Swiss gun. Besides the push pins are probably more accurate.

Sorry for all this, I go through these little rants things every time I see a new level of media stupidity.
/endrant

Austere Emancipator
Those "pinfire" guns are, eh, interesting, though they too clearly show that the cartridge I linked, even if it was an actual photograph, was a dummy round, and there are no renders of functional ammunition anywhere on the Swiss Mini Gun site.

Crikey, the given street address is real as well. Perhaps, then, it is a question of someone having been really bored in the office and creating this as a joke -- and then seeing if someone is stupid enough to actually pay thousands of dollars for it. As for whether this would be dangerous if it were real: the original Red Ryder BB gun fires a projectile four times as heavy at a slightly lower velocity for almost thrice the kinetic energy (a whopping 2.18 foot-pounds, 1/200th of what you get with a 9x19mm handgun, 1/20th of what you get with the wimpiest .22).
PlainWhiteSocks
From what I gathered there was some rich guy(s) that comissioned him to make these little guns. If he's only sold a few to people middle eastern countries seems feasable these all went to rich arabic playboys. The gold and diamond one would appear to fit the profile of what they might want.

Austere Emancipator
Uhh, call me an incurable sceptic, but I expect that reporter was duped. Sure, Arab millionaires tend to order tons of pointless gold-plated guns, but if they'd actually made a functional gun they would have a photo of one, instead of faking all those pictures -- and at the very least they'd have images of a functional cartridge design, instead of the obviously non-functional dummy round drawings currently on the site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012