Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unsung Heroes,
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lividicus
Mr Johnson hires 3 runners to retrieve a crate from the Seattle shipyard. Sitting outside the gates a block or two from the entrance they assess the security. One of the members is a mystic adept with the invisibility spell and comes up with a bright idea.

Davram: Lets just drive in behind a semi-truck under invisibility

Bloodhound: Sounds good.

Shadow: Great lets do it!

Davram casts the spell and succeeds with no drain.

The follow a semi-truck successfully into the shipyard find the location of the container they are supposed to steal the crate from and leave the van invisible. The get into the container as another van pulls up and another group of runners exit and look around

The group takes down the competing runners and proceeds to load the crate into the now visible van. To escape the shipyard Davram casts the invisibility on the van and they successfully leave the gate.

After leaving the gate. They proceed onto the highway to make it their drop off location. For those of you in the Seattle area the onramp for the highway at the shipyard is merges into the fast lane.

GM: okay Shadow you have merged onto the highway and your driving, you can see headlights behind you and they are closing the distance between you.

Shadow: Are they security?

GM: no there are no flashing lights

Shadow: I tell the other members a car is coming up on us.

GM: Okay, the car is still gaining on you, what do you want to do?

Shadow: okay I step on the gas. And look if I can merge right.

GM: okay you step on the gas and its becoming clear that your rate of acceleration is less than the car. To your right there is a car with a man, woman and child in it. On the left there is a small shoulder with a concrete barrier.

Shadow: okay I step on the brakes just enough to make the brake lights flash.

GM: Great you do it. The car is going to hit you unless you take evasive action.

Shadow: okay I try to get onto the shoulder.

GM: okay roll your driving the car is hitting you.

Shadow: drek I failed.

GM: Your car takes damage and so do you. Roll driving again to gain control

Shadow: noooo I failed again.

GM: okay you hit the barrier everyone take damage and your vehicle too

Shadow: I took 3 damage-

Davram: I took 7

Bloodhound: Uhm……..I am dead…….

Shadow: WTH was that why didn’t that fragger stop.

GM: your van was still invisible……….he didn’t see you or your brake lights.

Next story to come "B.A.T" aka the "Bathroom Assault Team"
cx2
rofl, worthy of the Clue Files

Wish they were still being written. Ah well.
Kyoto Kid
...reminds me of when KK once pulled her Warhawks out to start blasting at the oppos, and the team's invisible mage (on a higher init.) decided to run down the hall ahead of her.

Invisibility definitely has its drawbacks.
hyzmarca
That is a situation where the common sense edge would come in handy. In fact, this is why I say that every character who doesn't have Licking Electrical Outlets as a creative skill for centering should get Common Sense for free.

Of course, I'm also the sort to rule that riding around in an invisible van is sort of like riding in Wonder Woman's invisible airplane, but that's just me.
mfb
i dunno. i mean, in the heat of the moment, people have done much dumber things than forgetting that the van they were driving was invisible. if my players forgot a 'minor' detail like that, i certainly wouldn't let them off the hook.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (mfb @ Sep 12 2006, 11:12 PM)
i dunno. i mean, in the heat of the moment, people have done much dumber things than forgetting that the van they were driving was invisible. if my players forgot a 'minor' detail like that, i certainly wouldn't let them off the hook.

That depends on whether or not they resisted the spell or were immune to it by virture of occupying the van. It is kind of hard to not notice that you can't see the steering wheel or any of the instruments.

I presume one of those two was the case in this game but there is a lot to say about the quirks in the way a GM rules invisibility. Invisibility is probably the single more inconsistantly ruled magical effect simply because the rules don't take into account all of the many possibilities. An incongruency between how a GM rules Invisibility and how a Player expects it to be ruled should never be surprising.
Warmaster Lah
Heh heh. Thats was a good one.

Wow, just didn't occur to him to cut the spell eh?

Yeah definately Clue file worthy.

Kyrn
Erm...yeah. CLUE file 26. Second story down. Guess who played the sam.

Fucking tree.
Aaron
Last night, my players were fighting a holding action while the car (on autopilot) came around to pick them up. The sam decides to dive in front of the car, to get it to stop and to get cover from the attackers. I had the car's owner roll for it to stop in time: eight dice, no hits. One street samurai with one less Edge.
fistandantilus4.0
since we're hitting CLUE files:

Gunslinger adept in London fighting a bunch of Loup-garou, had jsut killed their vampire 'handlers' (a little fun idea I had w/ the Ordo, check the HMHVV thread). She killed the vamps before the doggies got there, and taken a bag of CXII from their car. To clarify, this is a duffle bag, about a foot and a half long, mostly full of CXII, all set to go w/ a remote detonator. They were going to use it on her.

She jsut finished going through the car, and found the bag, checked it's contents, when the Loup-garous came rushing out of alleys. 15 IIRC. She used great leap and wall running to quickly move up the side of a 10 story building. These thing s on he rscent, so they start climbing the walls. She leans over the edge, smiles, drops the bag, detonator in hand, and hits the button just before the bag hits the ground. Just enough time for a self satisfied smirk , as the old building (it was in the Smoke, so everything was pretty messed up already) started collapsing beneath her.

"haha! take tha... oh shit!"
Serbitar
Not funny at all. The characters would have known that they are still invisible as they would not have seen each other, the players didnt (as they are not invisbile). The GM should have told them.

Not funny at all.
Mistwalker
Serbitar,

They cast Invisibility on the van, not on themselves. I would imagine it would be something like a "puddle jumper" with cloak engaged. You can see the inside of your vehicle, and anyone on it, but no one outside of it could see it.

Well, that is my take on it.
Serbitar
Then everybody could see the passengers flying through the air . . .
Slithery D
My problem is that sustaining a spell is just as distracting as taking 6 boxes of damage. OOC you may forget you're sustaining a spell, but in character you never will.
fistandantilus4.0
normally I'd be inclined to laugh, but yeah, SlD you make a good point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012