Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragons ED to SR
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ophis
Here to be exact

The thread linked above got me thinking and here are my theories of the identities of dragons across the fourth and sixth world. Please feel free to correct or comment as you see fit. Please note I'm working from the free version of Dragons of Barsaive given out by FASA when they stopped Earthdawn. I also may seem to be tread on Ahs toes herebut most of it is independent work.

Okay I'll start with the easy ones.(All enteries in this first section are named for the earthdawn name).

Mountain Shadow. Obviously this is Dunkelzahn. As evidence I point to a similarity in methodology and colouration.The fact that Mountain Shadow's cheif "minion" and I use that word in a knowingly sarcastic manner is called Darktooth (Dunkelzahn is german for this...). Plus he gets Loremaster when Vasdenjas dies.

Icewing. Mountain Shadow's white scaled, more aggresive, autocratic brother seems a natuarl fit for Dunklezahn's white scaled more aggresive, autocratic probably family member. (Ghostwalker duh!)

Alamaise Sorry I'm not even trying to explain this one...

Usun I Think that given Sirrurg's behaviour and choise of locale and the fact that someone calls him Vast Green in DotSW gives this away.

Now I move onto the ones I doubt I'll find, why should be obvious shortly.

Earthroot I suspect that given some comments about the loss of the White Tree, that this dragon died during the Fourth World, how or why elludes me.

Vestrivan and Vasdenjas Sadly both of these dragons, horror corrupt and blabbermouth died during the Barsaivian war against the Therans in Barsaive at War.

Okay The next three are where I get contriversial...

Aban Mysterious manipulator in the swamps, organiser of the dragon's fifth column that proved so criticalin BaW, young great seeking to make her name. I think that this is Hestaby, she's got the right methodology going on and the right deep ties to her layer and her dislike of Tir Tairngire (even if she did end up a prince) seem about right to me. Add in her being overlooked as a threat in the Rite of Sucession in SotF despite her eventual victory all pointing to dargon who is damn good at using secrets and misdirection and I think this is a good fit. This has been a gut feeling of mine for years, and I think it works.

Asante and Nightsky the mated pair. Where are they in Shadowrun. Well to my mind one of them is dead and the other is trying to work with the UN. I think Feuerschwinge is Asante and thus probably dead. Kaltenstein was Nightsky the colours about right with a bit of dulling with age, and if he loved Feuerscwinge he would want to help her when she was wounded. This also explains why Lofwyr's interference was a kindness, stop himnow so that he can greive her as she's doomed rather than letting him face his insane true love and have his heart broken(and lof stops two pissed dragons from rampaging. Not as certain on this one put it explains the odd string of dragon behaviour around the Feuerschwinge awakening.

Okay two more left to cover, less contriversial here but the second is going to sound a bit cop out.

Dvilgaynon Orc helping, dragon uber ritualist. As mentioned in the thread linked above, I reckon she's in Tibet and is something to do with the barrier round it. It seems a nice fit ith what we know from Krathis Gron's story and the stuff mentioned about indrisia.

CharcolgrinI really don't know here, maybe Charcolgrin is Schwartzcopf, because having a black hed and charcoal grin sound similar but it just doesn't sound right for me. Maybe she died or vanished with Parlainth and everyone forgot her...

Lats but by no means least.

DenairastasGood god I hope he's dead, I really do. He so has it coming to him. Certainly my high level Ed swordmaster would like to do him. In shadowrun I think this one is in hiding or dead. The closest thing to his style around is the Seraphim of CATco but they seem to lack the scaly thing at the top. I used to think he was loffie(but I though icewing could be him) but now I just hope the other Greats killed him over the Thermail/Hydra thing.

Okay thats it, I'll ponder the SR dragons that I haven't metioned in a bit.

Editted to clarify ghostwalker a bit.
Witness
Icewing=Ghostwalker, right?
Ancient History
Scooped.
Rajaat99
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Scooped.

Thank you Ancient.
Ophis
Indeed, I have read AHs excellent notes on dragons before, I just felt like adding my own thoughts. Mostly the Aban->Hestaby thing and the Asante and Nightsky stuff.
Grinder
The ideas about Aban are really interesting. I used the dragon very much during Barsaive At War (and Prelude To War too), but my players never had an idea how much this dragon influenced their actions. They blamed Icewing the whole time instead. biggrin.gif
Ophis
Yeah Aban lends herself to that ssort of stuff quite well, as does Hestaby...

On a secondary note any ides on the following...

1) why all the Barsaive greats moved (mostly to america)
2) presuming this was something to do with the white tree, what happened and how?
Ancient History
QUOTE (Ophis @ Sep 13 2006, 09:23 AM)
I just felt like adding my own thoughts. Mostly the Aban->Hestaby thing and the Asante and Nightsky stuff.

Point. I generally try to stick to what has been proved and/or suggested in canon on the page (saves room for my other biases) but don't let that dissuade you. After all, you may prove to be right in the long run.
Witness
QUOTE (Ophis)
1) why all the Barsaive greats moved (mostly to america)

This is a good question. Perhaps it's something as simple as 'moving to where the action is'. After all there's not so much going on in former Barsaive these days.

It might also be that dragons were actually quite global creatures in the Fourth World (Dvilgaynon popped over to Barsaive for a bit, right?), and might have had 'holiday home' lairs and interests outside Barsaive even then, but that the ED books, being Barsaive-centric (and in any case often quite fuzzy on the activities of dragons) just didn't reflect that because it wasn't common knowledge.
Ophis
The bit that always puzzled me was Ghostwalker calling Denver his ancient domain. Howver the fact that DotSW has reference to the loss of the White Tree (in Celedyr's bit if I recall) makes me wonder.

Any thoughts on exactly who is behind the downtime hunting? My bets are Alachia anyone have any different ideas.
MK Ultra
In the Aztlan sb, Hecate is blamed for te hunting and Hecate is probably Shaila Blatevska - head of the Atlantian Foundation, which IMHO is no other then Alachia (though there is no evidence of this in the books, IIRC).
Grinder
QUOTE (Witness)
This is a good question. Perhaps it's something as simple as 'moving to where the action is'. After all there's not so much going on in former Barsaive these days.

It might also be that dragons were actually quite global creatures in the Fourth World (Dvilgaynon popped over to Barsaive for a bit, right?), and might have had 'holiday home' lairs and interests outside Barsaive even then, but that the ED books, being Barsaive-centric (and in any case often quite fuzzy on the activities of dragons) just didn't reflect that because it wasn't common knowledge.

The ED-sourcebooks are written from an in-game point of view, so it's no surprise that the authors don'T konow too much about dragons. All is known is that all dragons have a lair at Barsaive, but it's unclear/ unknown if this lair is the only one a dragon has. Seplls like Astral Gate make long-range travel relativly easy, it very likely that dragon are able to cast a similar dragon magic-based spell too.
Grinder
QUOTE (Ophis)
Any thoughts on exactly who is behind the downtime hunting? My bets are Alachia anyone have any different ideas.

Either IE's (but I dislike the ida, 'cause the IEs have way too much influence in the 5th World) or a Horror-cult. Or a twisted splinter group of the Nihilists (damn, how's the secret society called?).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012