Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contacts and Matrix sites
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Geekkake
How do you guys handle social networking and other Matrix sites where the PC is an active user/contributer and the site itself contains a lot of useful information? Right now, we're handling Shadowland (I never got a straight answer if that's still around post-Crash, despite what happened to the Cap) as a 4/1 contact for information only. But needing a user to buy a contact for every social networking or information site (when canon describes them as ubiquitous) seems excessive.
Rotbart van Dainig
Data Search.
Bryce963
I think that Ares would own Google, or the Corporate Court, so finding dirt on Ares, or mabye all the Megas by just searching would be almost impossible, that is why there are shadow databases and such. I mean cmon, does anyone really think in a world controlled by corporations that information, the most valuable resourse, is free?
Eryk the Red
Basically, I require contacts to be used to acquire restricted or forbidden gear (unless you have a license for the restricted stuff), or for getting particularly limited information. (Like the inner workings of security at a particular Ares facility.) Also, a big benefit of a contact is you can have them do the work, sometimes for a price. So their stats are used for the rolls, and, more importantly, you don't need to do the work. You cna spend your time doing other things.

I would allow Shadowland (if it still existed in my game) as a contact like any other. Loyalty would represent how much of a trusted member of the community you are. Connections could represent either the quality of your Shadowland node (I could see them being splintered, with numerous small and sometimes connected Shadowlands), or it could represent the quality and quantity of your allies in Shadowland.
Ryu
Information from forae: Data Search indeed. Implied requirement of said skill.

Even business-transactions are possible without appropiate connection, but the risk is much higher. An established connection should be reliable even if that behaviour is an exception in favour of the PC.

You CAN buy illegal weapons from the back of an old, used van in your bad, bad neighborhood. It is less adviceable to buy expensive body enhancements from sources unknown.
Zolhex
Runner havens talks about ShadowSea in seattle as an information spot on the net I do belive.
Geekkake
QUOTE (Ryu)
Information from forae: Data Search indeed. Implied requirement of said skill.

Even business-transactions are possible without appropiate connection, but the risk is much higher. An established connection should be reliable even if that behaviour is an exception in favour of the PC.

You CAN buy illegal weapons from the back of an old, used van in your bad, bad neighborhood. It is less adviceable to buy expensive body enhancements from sources unknown.

You mean I shouldn't get invasive surgery on my central nervous system from Dr. Killjoy's Chop Shop out behind the 7-11?
Mistwalker
Sure you can.
But while you are in there, I will hold on to your gear, so that ..hmm... it doesn't get stolen, yeah, stolen.
cx2
Who said datasearch uses corp controlled search tools, as opposed to perhaps shadow equivelants.

And I'm sure that the corps would have fun splashing the dirt about each other around plenty, plus it depends what level of "dirt" you mean. I can see plenty of places showing things like modern financial analysis for things like stocks and so on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012