Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The first cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Slithery D
Ugly, but cool.
Crusher Bob
I'll be in my bunk. cyber.gif
JongWK
More information in today's Washington Post.
lorechaser
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago is part of a multi-lab effort, funded with nearly $50 million from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), to create more useful and natural artificial limbs for amputees.

Riiiiiiiiight.

DARPA wants to study it to create more natural limbs for amputees.

Very cool anyway, though.
Arethusa
Well, if you hack your arms off to replace them with guns, you are technicall an amputee. An awesome amputee.
Kyoto Kid
...in the words of a famous green blooded point eared alien...

Fascinating
SuperFly
You got scooped!
El_Machinae
QUOTE (lorechaser)
The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago is part of a multi-lab effort, funded with nearly $50 million from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), to create more useful and natural artificial limbs for amputees.

Riiiiiiiiight.

I would imagine that it's a proactive effort to silence criticism of the status of veterans after the recent combat actions. That, and an attempt to actually compensate them for the damages caused by IEDs and the like.
Cray74
These are certainly fairly advanced limbs, but they're not the first. Prosthetics that respond to muscles and nerves have been around for a couple of decades. Some even include limited temperature feedback.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012