Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cursed magic items!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
cybertrucker
So I went and did it. Running a game and I put in a weapon focus if you want to call it that, that was buried under a cave in down in the old sewer systems of Seattle. The team was on their way to break into an Aztechnology facility when they came to the cave in and saw the shiny glint of steel shining up from the debris reflecting off their flashlights.

Anyway they only saw a small piece of the weapon (a sword). and when they went to touch it they ended up having to battle the ghost (human spirit) of the person who wielded it. The battle was long fought but our mage finally managed to banish it after about 3 combat turns of the spirit really fucking the rest the group up.

Well they dug the sword out, and our group adept was like eww ahh ohh, the mage realized it was magical from the start and the group agreed to let the adept take hold of it

Here is what i created
2 handed great sword (for a human anyway) damage is str/2+3
acts as a rating 3 weapon focus of sharpness -3 AP (same as rating)
The sword is also possessed by a blood spirit that if the wielder is wounded will attempt to possess the wielder and send him into a bloodraged killing spree untill all living beings in his view are dead.

the possession is actually mental control. cast from a force rating 3 spirit giving it 6 dice total for the check.

Anywho as of yet... our adept has not been wounded.. and the group does not realize that the sword has this ability, right now they are living it up.. he loves the sword it is a wicked looking sword covered with runes. When he wields it, it glows with a strange bluish aura (aura of the spirit within).

Anyway i wanted to get away wth the cookie cutter focus's for a change. Has anyone else done anything like this?
Ancient History
You could say that.
eidolon
QUOTE (cybertrucker)
Anyway i wanted to get away wth the cookie cutter focus's for a change.

So you used the D&D cutter to make a SR cookie? wink.gif
Apathy
so, you made Stormbringer? (of the Elric - Michael Moorecock series)
2bit
I embedded four anchoring foci into the striking surface of a warhammer (club); the wielder casts touch-range spells into them and can trigger one or all mentally when striking a target.
Slithery D
How many years till all those foci are bonded?
knasser
QUOTE (cybertrucker)
So I went and did it. Running a game and I put in a weapon focus if you want to call it that, that was buried under a cave in down in the old sewer systems of Seattle. The team was on their way to break into an Aztechnology facility when they came to the cave in and saw the shiny glint of steel shining up from the debris reflecting off their flashlights.

Anyway they only saw a small piece of the weapon (a sword). and when they went to touch it they ended up having to battle the ghost (human spirit) of the person who wielded it. The battle was long fought but our mage finally managed to banish it after about 3 combat turns of the spirit really fucking the rest the group up.

Well they dug the sword out, and our group adept was like eww ahh ohh, the mage realized it was magical from the start and the group agreed to let the adept take hold of it

Here is what i created
The sword is also possessed by a blood spirit that if the wielder is wounded will attempt to possess the wielder and send him into a bloodraged killing spree untill all living beings in his view are dead.

the possession is actually mental control. cast from a force rating 3 spirit giving it 6 dice total for the check.

Anywho as of yet... our adept has not been wounded.. and the group does not realize that the sword has this ability, right now they are living it up.. he loves the sword it is a wicked looking sword covered with runes. When he wields it, it glows with a strange bluish aura (aura of the spirit within).

Anyway i wanted to get away wth the cookie cutter focus's for a change. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Don't know if you have Street Magic, but you could use the actual possession rules for this. Have the evil spirit bound to the weapon. The sword could even be the container for the Hidden Life power! When the adept is possessed he actually becomes stronger which will make it more, ah... fun for the group. Fun... yeah, that's the word I meant. wink.gif
2bit
QUOTE (Slithery D)
How many years till all those foci are bonded?

<blind eye>
unique enchantment discount!
</blind eye>

Once the PC's get a hold of it, I expect it to be something the shaman 'grows with'.
Jaid
actually SR3 had this basic concept somewhere already.

they're called imps.
Steak and Spirits

they're called imps.

Threats:2 - Great read. Well. Decent read. I think I'm just overlooking the parts I blocked from my memory. Like Bug spirits mixed with Pitbulls.
2bit
but... but... alien 3!!!
Samaels Ghost
Each of those warhammer enchantments could belong to a different mage. Make them ritual spellcasters and all you need is to call them up after you discharge all the spells. A day or two later you have your badass unique spell hammer back. The idea is worth the cost.

Why would the ritual group lend out their foci? Maybe you work for them? You're their champion! Sounds cool to me, and easily manipualted if it seems too powerful. Me like biggrin.gif

Would a possessed sword add force to the base damage? I think that's something to consider. I don't know if foci can be vessels, however. Am I wrong?
hyzmarca
Well, you can make up anything and call it a "unique enchantment". This has been canon from the begining. Bottled Demon set the precident with a Power Focus that didn't even need to be bound but which had some side effects.

Personally, I like cursed weapon foci that are enchanted with healing spells. Your -6 AP +6DV katana may flow through targets like water but you'd be annoyed when they apparently don't take any wounds because the weapon heals the target for exactly the same amount of damage as it causes.
Ancient History
Boy, blood mages must love that. "It's like the Managizer bunny!" Poor mister flop-flop.

There's still a category of unique enchantments that are a bit beyond the pale, but SR4 also details more clearly defined types of unique enchantments.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ancient History)
Boy, blood mages must love that. "It's like the Managizer bunny!" Poor mister flop-flop.

I wouldn't pontificate on the wisdom of cheating blood rituals with such a weapon, but it doesn't seem like the results would be very pleasant for anyone.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (cybertrucker)

Here is what i created

I admire you thinking outside the RAW rules in making this work for your campaign!

I find it harder as I get older as both a player and GM to stray from RAW at times.

Thanks for the idea and bravo! cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012