Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancer rehash
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
Hi again,

I asked a question a few threads ago about TM's and AR and what equipment they need to use AR.

>> Previous Thread <<

Implanted commlink users still need to have an Image Link to see AR data. So they need either the cyberware or some other visual thing (goggles, glasses, contacts) that an communicate with the commlink. In the case of DNI they can send mental commands to the commlink so they don't need gloves, but they still need someplace for the visual AR data to go hence the Image Link. Read the Image Link description, it specifically mentions it's used to display AR data.

So wouldn't a TM need some external (or internal if you're bold enough) device like goggles, glasses or contacts with an Image Link to see AR data? I don't see where in SR4.core that seeing AR is included with their ability to go full-VR at will. Much like how a TM needs external storage for sending/receiving files I think a physical need exists for using AR which would help support the TM's desire of VR over AR.

Whatcha think?

Thanks,

~GTT
Slithery D
Having a TMs brain interpret AR signals directly with his visual cortex would be #83 on the list of implausible abilities TMs possess. No equipment required. External memory is the only tech aid I'm convinced they need to use the matrix effectively. (As opposed to social/legal reasons to need a comlink.)
Glayvin34
Well, a TM is a commlink. Commlinks don't need image links to interact with AR because they don't see AR, they just process it. Same thing with TMs. While they probbly don't see the same thing, they process it the same way.
So instead of the stuffer shack AR logo flying around and advertising NERPs, they see the code language that calls for certain colors and shapes and letters. Sure, it's not the same, but the same amount of information is relayed after they perceive it.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Sep 15 2006, 11:13 AM)
Well, a TM is a commlink.  Commlinks don't need image links to interact with AR because they don't see AR, they just process it.  Same thing with TMs.  While they probbly don't see the same thing, they process it the same way. 
So instead of the stuffer shack AR logo flying around and advertising NERPs, they see the code language that calls for certain colors and shapes and letters.  Sure, it's not the same, but the same amount of information is relayed after they perceive it.

Maybe I am missing the part in SR4 that gives the TM different functionality than other commlink users. It's their brain that's wired an although you could argue eyesight is part of that, I don't get that from SR4. I get they can (in some unknown way) feel and connect with the wireless world, but full-VR seems to be the method of doing so.

I suppose I need some specific references in SR4 becuase I still don't see AR as being native and data storage not.
Geekkake
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Sep 15 2006, 11:13 AM)
Well, a TM is a commlink.  Commlinks don't need image links to interact with AR because they don't see AR, they just process it.  Same thing with TMs.  While they probbly don't see the same thing, they process it the same way. 
So instead of the stuffer shack AR logo flying around and advertising NERPs, they see the code language that calls for certain colors and shapes and letters.  Sure, it's not the same, but the same amount of information is relayed after they perceive it.

Maybe I am missing the part in SR4 that gives the TM different functionality than other commlink users. It's their brain that's wired an although you could argue eyesight is part of that, I don't get that from SR4. I get they can (in some unknown way) feel and connect with the wireless world, but full-VR seems to be the method of doing so.

I suppose I need some specific references in SR4 becuase I still don't see AR as being native and data storage not.

Again, if that were the case, TMs would run around getting a -8 to all their physical actions, all the time.
Glayvin34
TMs can communicate with a wireless node at will. And they can enter VR at will. They aren't always in VR, or they'd be taking some hefty penalties to all actions, and we can all agree that's not the case.
So they perceive all wireless feeds (if they want). Granted, without an image link they perceive code instead of seeing images, but if you saw unprocessed html tags in a post on the forums, you'd still know that it was supposed to be a link to a website, or italics or whatever.
Lagomorph
Remember, you can use AR with out using gloves or image link. A commlink provides an input and output so that it can be used on it's own.

IIRC (which isn't often), the TM sample character has no AR items. While that's not a great proof, it does indicate that TM's do not need AR items.

Also, if it's allowed in your game to use Simsense to conduct AR, then the TM would not need AR items as TMs have both a Commlink and SimModule
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
TMs can communicate with a wireless node at will. And they can enter VR at will. They aren't always in VR, or they'd be taking some hefty penalties to all actions, and we can all agree that's not the case.
So they perceive all wireless feeds (if they want). Granted, without an image link they perceive code instead of seeing images, but if you saw unprocessed html tags in a post on the forums, you'd still know that it was supposed to be a link to a website, or italics or whatever.

I don't get the idea they can always see VR but that they can "sense" it around them. They can indeed talk to wireless thing at will, in VR, but I still don't see where that implies they can see anything other than VR w/o the aid of something physical.

I've read the TM section many times, but don't get they do more than get full-VR at will and sense the traffic around them like a breeze or the sun on their skin.
Glayvin34
I guess GTT is right on that, there's no explicit rule that says TMs can interact with AR. With that interpretation, they would have to drop in to VR to read an RFID tag on the sidewalk.
I always assumed that the Living Persona and a normal Persona were identical in the Matrix, not that Living Personas only can exist in VR.
Lagomorph
I believe the beginning of the matrix section explicitly states that any reference to Matrix is meant to mean AR, and that any time they mean Matrix via VR, that VR will be mentioned instead of matrix.

Since VR is only mentioned in one part of the TM section (the part where they talk about always being hotsim) it seems silly to assume they can only interact via VR.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
I believe the beginning of the matrix section explicitly states that any reference to Matrix is meant to mean AR, and that any time they mean Matrix via VR, that VR will be mentioned instead of matrix.

Since VR is only mentioned in one part of the TM section (the part where they talk about always being hotsim) it seems silly to assume they can only interact via VR.

Hmm. I do recall them mentioning that AR was a natural reference to the "the matrix" unless otherwise stated, but isn't the mention of TM having VR access the excpetion in this case? No mention of AR would mean just VR?

I don't think it's silly to assume they can't see natively AR else they'd be at constant penalties. They are indeed constantly receiving signals the difference is they can go VR and see them while us non-Resonant folks natively can't.
Glayvin34
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I don't think it's silly to assume they can't see natively AR else they'd be at constant penalties.

Double negatives- but I think I get what you mean.

Normal folk take minuses if there's too much AR. TMs take minuses if there's not enough.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Glayvin34 @ Sep 15 2006, 12:34 PM)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
I don't think it's silly to assume they can't see natively AR else they'd be at constant penalties.

Double negatives- but I think I get what you mean.

Although minor, they'd always be at penalties with no way to "shut-out the voices" since they couldn't turn-off their AR other than going VR but then they'd be immobile.

Normal folk take minuses if there's too much AR.  TMs take minuses if there's not enough.
Again, there is not metion of seeing AR/VR but sensing it around them. I liken it to a security blanket or and addict, w/o their object-of-desire they suffer withdrawl.
Glayvin34
I dunno, man. In the TM description it says that "they can reach out and tap in—giving them instant access to the wireless Matrix, no electronics or cyberware required." And as Lagomorph noted the first part of the Wireless chapter says "Unless otherwise noted, this chapter refers to augmented reality—the most common way of using the Matrix—rather than virtual."
So it seems to me they're constantly in AR/ the wireless Matrix. Because AR is the wireless Matrix.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
I dunno, man. In the TM description it says that "they can reach out and tap in—giving them instant access to the wireless Matrix, no electronics or cyberware required." And as Lagomorph noted the first part of the Wireless chapter says "Unless otherwise noted, this chapter refers to augmented reality—the most common way of using the Matrix—rather than virtual."
So it seems to me they're constantly in AR/ the wireless Matrix. Because AR is the wireless Matrix.

Not that I don't accept that answer, but there are too many damned generalizations and unexplained things for my liking.
Lagomorph
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
Not that I don't accept that answer, but there are too many damned generalizations and unexplained things for my liking.

I completely agree, I hope the unofficial Haking FAQ and future source books puts some of these questions to rest some day.
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
So they perceive all wireless feeds (if they want).  Granted, without an image link they perceive code instead of seeing images....

That's not the way I thought it worked; still, I LIKE that answer! Reminds me of Cypher and Tank in The Matrix. They claimed that viewing code was faster. It's a way to explain the TMs natural response increase -- no rendering delay.
Jaid
simsense can generate all of the <sense>links. you don't need an image link when your sim module (which a TM effectively has) simply converts the data to your brain's format for visual data.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Jaid)
simsense can generate all of the <sense>links. you don't need an image link when your sim module (which a TM effectively has) simply converts the data to your brain's format for visual data.

But isn't the sim module for VR? I don't recall AR users being worried about Black IC or other sim-nastiness.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (De Badd Ass)
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
So they perceive all wireless feeds (if they want).  Granted, without an image link they perceive code instead of seeing images....

That's not the way I thought it worked; still, I LIKE that answer! Reminds me of Cypher and Tank in The Matrix. They claimed that viewing code was faster. It's a way to explain the TMs natural response increase -- no rendering delay.

I think thats probably the best arguement I've seen yet. I personally also assumed that TMs walking around could interact with AR normally without using any equipment simply because they are beings within the matrix, they can manipulate it and bend it to their will.

Perhaps making it something akin to a mage using Astral Perception, they can sort of just switch between it and normal vision, but doing so introduces them to other dangers. (dual natured and spirits for mages, IC and hackers for TMs)
2bit
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 15 2006, 02:34 PM)

But isn't the sim module for VR? I don't recall AR users being worried about Black IC or other sim-nastiness.

sim modules are for virtual reality, yes, and AR is a "lite" version of VR. The BBB even cites the most common way people experience augmented reality as through a sim module connected to a commlink by direct neural interface - trodes, jack, nanopaste. Black IC has no effect on AR users, no.
GrinderTheTroll
Thanks all for the discussion!

After this thread and re-reading some of SR4, I am adjusting my stance on TMs: I think they can access both AR and VR without any equipment requirements. They can sense wireless data (or lack there-of) and can choose to use AR or VR at-will.

One last question that been asked and opined on many times: What about outside queries for SIN information? Can the TM grab the data from storage and forward it when requested? How do you handle this in your group?

As always, Thanks!

~GTT
Konsaki
One last question that been asked and opined on many times: What about outside queries for SIN information? Can the TM grab the data from storage and forward it when requested? How do you handle this in your group?

If I was GMing a group with a TM in it, yes I would allow the TM to autosend the SIN information from anywhere he has it stored on his person. Keep in mind though that Commlinks have special SIN storage that has good encryption (I know it doesnt mean much by cannon, but I would make it really hard to hack) and if he stored it in his cloths or gun, they wouldnt have the same encrypted space like the commlink does.
Personally for my TM, I just buy a el cheapo commlink for that perpose, as it also keeps people from wondering why I dont have a commlink on me.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Konsaki @ Sep 16 2006, 10:39 PM)
Personally for my TM, I just buy a el cheapo commlink for that perpose, as it also keeps people from wondering why I dont have a commlink on me.

Implanted! cyber.gif

Keep in mind though that Commlinks have special SIN storage that has good encryption (I know it doesnt mean much by cannon, but I would make it really hard to hack)

I made some comments on this topic a while back but can rememeber where! More than likey accessing the SIN automatically requires your commlink to have some sort of hardwired ID passcode thing that would be responsible for the verification process. That means someone couldn't just Sniffer your traffic and have your SIN ID, it would require someone to have the hardware passkey (or a copy of it) to duplicate your SIN and use it.
Glayvin34
We houseruled that TMs have organic skinlinks, in addition to organic commlinks and sim modules. Seemed to make sense, and allowed a TM to have their storage unit adhered to the body somewhere out of sight.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
We houseruled that TMs have organic skinlinks, in addition to organic commlinks and sim modules. Seemed to make sense, and allowed a TM to have their storage unit adhered to the body somewhere out of sight.

Neat idea.
Dranem
There is still the concept of the SIN Credstick. With your organic Skinlink, it would be a just a matter for the TM to touch their SIN stick and transmit the data as a commlink would.
mfb
given the importance of AR in SR4, i think it's reasonable to assume that TMs can operate in AR unless it's specifically stated otherwise. i mean, seriously, that'd be a pretty important thing to point out. the reason it's not stated that TMs can use AR is probably that the devs never considered any other possibility.
Konsaki
Hmm... I just got my TM up to 6 Res and now have to think about Submersion but looking over the BBB, I cant see anything that says how long it actually takes.
Its referenced magic initiation due to how similar they are without going into the technical aspect of it.

So, how much time should it take for a TM to submerge for the first time?
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (mfb)
given the importance of AR in SR4, i think it's reasonable to assume that TMs can operate in AR unless it's specifically stated otherwise. i mean, seriously, that'd be a pretty important thing to point out. the reason it's not stated that TMs can use AR is probably that the devs never considered any other possibility.

QUOTE (SR4 p232)
These new technomancers had a sixth sense about them that surpassed the abilities of the previous otaku. In accordance with their affinity for the technological world, technomancers have an instinctive awareness of the fluctuations of data around them. This subliminal sense not only functions in the VR of the Matrix, but in the real world as well, where technomancers can “feel” the wireless data traffic flowing through the airwaves around them.

QUOTE (SR4 p233)
Note that when technomancers immerse themselves in
full-VR....

AR is implied.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (De Badd Ass)
QUOTE (mfb)

QUOTE (SR4 p232)
These new technomancers had a sixth sense about them that surpassed the abilities of the previous otaku. In accordance with their affinity for the technological world, technomancers have an instinctive awareness of the fluctuations of data around them. This subliminal sense not only functions in the VR of the Matrix, but in the real world as well, where technomancers can “feel” the wireless data traffic flowing through the airwaves around them.

QUOTE (SR4 p233)
Note that when technomancers immerse themselves in
full-VR....

AR is implied.

Which is miserable for stating rules. The inconsistant, implicit nature of SR4 has tripped me up on more than one occassion (see any of my prior threads on IC/Agents). dead.gif
mfb
i agree, in general, about the vague nature of SR4 rules. however, in this case, it seems pretty clear that TMs can use AR out of the box. it states in the introduction to AR that the best way to use AR is via simsense. TMs can interpet simsense (otherwise, they wouldn't be able to use VR), ergo they can use AR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012