Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would your runner/team do?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Schaeffer
You/your team which has operated in Seattle almost exclusively for many years and is considered one of the top people/groups in its shadows, has been forced to leave, lost all of their contacts and must start again in Hong Kong in order to stay alive.

They no longer have any material resources save for the clothes on their back, a few weapons, and some basic equipment. Funds are practically non-existant. They are essentially strangers in a strange land and have to start over, but now without the network of contacts even newbies have, and with little knowledge of the local scene.

Add to that, they were forced to bring along two dependents who are not runners, and poorly suited to defending themselves.

What would you do in order to quickly rebuild a rep from scratch, locally, in the FEZ?

This is something that's happened to our team recently, and a majority of players are for some reason having a hard time coming up with ideas. I think we've had it good for too long. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
deek
Well, in that situation, I would almost take it as an open-ended recon job. Information gathering is key, matrix, astral and physical...take a few days if not a couple of weeks and observe.

I am sure as a GM, you could hook the characters into scenarios and slowly, they will make some contacts. I am sure they would also step on a few toes as well, that could come back to haunt them.

Survival would also be a big thing...finding food and shelter would be key.

I know that is pretty general, but as a player in this instance, that is what I would do. Get me and my team into some form of shelter, to kinda call home base and then spend time out on the streets, observing, gathering intelligence and in time, some things are going to pop up and contacts will be had...

Pretty open-ended, but after a few sessions, I am sure at least a few contacts would be gotten, and with that, you could start running more standard jobs...build that money base back up and all would be good!
Thanee
You could try to hire your skills to a crime syndicate (shouldn't be hard to get into contact with those).

The biggest problem would be fake IDs, I guess, if you do not have any, anymore, which means you can do squat legally. So finding people who can A) give you money for work -and- B) sell you fake IDs would be good. smile.gif

BTW, why are *all* your Contacts gone? That seems rather weird.

Bye
Thanee
Rotbart van Dainig
That question is very general, and there are many aproaches, from simple urban survival to asymmetric warfare.

What fields of profession does the team feature? What special abilities do they bring along?
What are their backgrounds?
SL James
QUOTE (Schaeffer)
Add to that, they were forced to bring along two dependents who are not runners, and poorly suited to defending themselves.

Whose dependants?
Slithery D
What he said; sell them to Tamanous for start up cash.
Butterblume
The first thing would be finding a fixer, the second one finding a reliable one wink.gif.
Schaeffer
Well, I guess it's not that the contacts are gone, but rather the team has no idea which ones they can trust right now, and so are avoiding any contact with their, err, contacts.

The team is made up of a warrior adept good with guns and his hands, two street sams who are very good with guns (of course), a hacker who is a capable combatant, and a shaman who is quite good in anything BUT combat. The dependents are a woman and her young child, who are a part of the shaman's storyline (his girlfriend and a little boy who is probably his child), and who are fleeing the same situation the team is.

Overall, they made their reps with extractions and wetwork. The usual stuff.
Schaeffer
QUOTE (Slithery D)
What he said; sell them to Tamanous for start up cash.

Tamanous has been mentioned, but not where it concerns the two non-runners.
Rotbart van Dainig
No skillwires in this team?
Schaeffer
No skillwires. I feel the hacker would have gone that route if things hadn't gone to Hell and the team hadn't ended up in the situation they're in now.
Lagomorph
this is probably a bad idea, but my first reaction was to say to get in a big fight in a bad part of town. Let people know you're dangerous, and then they'll either fear you and give you what you want, or want your help in doing bad things to other people.
Slithery D
I had a similar bad idea - pick a side in a Triad war as a hobby. Maybe the other side will offer some work.
eidolon
I disagree on the "pick a fight" strategy.

I would go out of my way to meet people and learn things. Hanging out in bars, on the local 'trix nodes, whatever it took. Start networking. Eventually, you'll catch an eye, and someone will start doing their homework on you. Make sure you feed them what you want them to know. What kind of work you do, what you're good at, etc.

Above all, do your best not to let anyone know about your dependants. Move them out of the city you plan on working in. Have as little contact with them as possible. If very young, hire them a nanny/caretaker asap.

JRDobbs
There's always the Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars solution to being a tough stranger in town--find the hottest action/feud, play both sides until you figure out which one is going to prevail, and then support the weaker side just enough to cause them to destroy themselves (to your profit).

Given the guanxi structure of HK, this might not be a good idea, though...

Maybe there is a corporation which the runners have worked for in the past which has a subsidiary in town and could benefit from some out-of-town talent?
Rotbart van Dainig
Well, let's see whether a pretty ancient guideline fits this problem:

First, find a place where the characters are away from prying eyes - abandoned facilities, maintainance ducts, etc. are a great place.
While the hacker acquires the basic mapsofts, the shaman summons a spirit with magical guard, ordered to protect and follow the orders of the three fighters.

Thus equipped, those three leave to scout the area, and, if clear, start inspecting the low-security-low-life areas the hacker has identified as potentially interesting for setting up base.
While those three search a suitable base of operations and get rid of the bodies of the former inhabitants, the hacker expands it's search for local information and wraps up a factbook... while the shaman takes care of his family.

In case of success, the team reunites again, only for separating again as the fighters, remote-guided by the hacker acquire the basic living amenities.
Basically, they'll get some excercise in S&G jobs first, moving on to B&E with better gear - keep in mind to target only corps.

As soon as the material basis is secured, the team can look for people willing to buy stuff they stole, thus making first contacts into the underworld - and having reference.
eidolon
QUOTE (JRDobbs)
Given the guanxi structure of HK...<snip>

Given that, I would say that meeting people and collecting info is an even more preferable route than trying to establish physical dominance.

Good call.
Lagomorph
Eidolon: They may not speak Chinese all too well, which would likely make networking a nightmare. But the pick a fight idea is pretty bad, it was just the first thing I could come up with given their talents.

Rotbart: I like that plan better than my suggestion by far.
eidolon
That's true. There's always pocket translators and linguasofts though. First things first when going to a new country.

Also, and especially in SR, never underestimate the number of English (or another language) speakers in any location.
Lagomorph
Thats true, I suppose they could Smash and Grab some linguasofts, they wouldn't be able to buy them though with out Fake ID or contacts.
knasser

You've got some pretty tough guys in your team, right? Find the local fight scene and take a few matches for money. Far from ideal, but you'll be meeting some of the right sort of people. It's a "pick a fight" that isn't.

But I also think Rotbart has the best approach. Very methodical.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 15 2006, 11:29 PM)
QUOTE (JRDobbs)
Given the guanxi structure of HK...<snip>

Given that, I would say that meeting people and collecting info is an even more preferable route than trying to establish physical dominance.

The real big problem is, that, in confucian social models, there is no place for the stranger. (This is important to keep in mind when making any deals, especially at the start, because there is no moral standard preventing ripping of or even killing strangers when it seems beneficial.)
Without any people recommending you, no-one important/interesting will want to meet you or talk to you.

Thus, they have to start at the lowest end of the food chain, working their way up.. and keeping in mind that they are in hostile territory.
Steak and Spirits
It's just like prison - They'll have to kick someone's ass, or be someone's bitch. Maybe both.

Step #1 - Set up home base.

If Knight Errant makes frequent patrols into and area, your runners don't want to be there. Stick to Kowloon City, or the Mong Kok barrens - They have neither the equipment, resources, nor contact web to deal with any of their actions resulting in legal repurcussions, and given the 'street' level of this location, they'll have a much easier time getting some work. Find someplace to squat. A warehouse, or condemned building would be ideal, though an alley and a tarp will do in a pinch. Foster a relationship with the locals. Your team will want to eat, and there's always manual labor to be done. Spend a few days doing odd jobs for food, and maybe a couple of bucks on the side to grab some drinks at the local shadow dive. Stuff like repairing someone's roof, fixing someone's radio, or getting that old beast on blocks in road worthy condition will work. If you can build a relationship out of the job, you might get a contact, or better yet, a line on a good place to sleep. (Frank's Auto-garage?)

Step #2 - Get guns.

Before trouble goes looking for you, it's best to go looking for trouble. Get your street samurai something that passes for a firearm in the twenty-first century. It doesn't need a laser sight, or a smart link set up. It just needs to function, and preferrably come with a few spare clips. Ganger's are notorious for providing cannon fodder for shadowrunners, but out numbered, and underequipped might make that difficult - Perhaps your team could negotiate some weapons out of the local triad backed gang, in exchange for offering them a little extra muscle the next time they need it - Be warned, however, direct negotations will often result in 'tests of strength' that may involve runners getting their ass kicked, so come prepared - Wrap some barbed wire around a baseball bat for your Samurai, and raid a dumpster for some broken bottles for the hacker, technomancer, or mage. Hopefully that mage didn't lose his spells along with his gear. And maybe the local stuffer shack will sell some razor blades for a creative adept. If you can't -fight- mean, you can at least -look- mean. Having a Magician will be pretty crucial here since losing gear isn't such a big deal, with the exception of all that bonded karma they'll be bemoaning.

In either case, it shouldn't be overly difficult to find out where the local gangs hang out - Afterall, they'll probably have a protection racket going on where your team is squatting. At the latest, you'll spot gang colors a week from squating.

Step #3 - Kick some ass. Get some names.

So you've skirted on the surface. You've either gotten your ass kicked and gone back to square one, kicked some ganger ass into submission and stolen some equipment, or bargained for it - Ideally, the third option there will expose your character's a little deeper into the criminal underground of Hong Kong. From there it's just a matter of surviving until you can prove your useful enough to get attention from bigger fish in the pond - As the reputation grows, more options will branch out - Pirates off the coast, smuggler's between Hong Kong and neighboring ports, and maybe even a little inter-triad action. This will most likely encompass a rebuilding period for your team, as they find more permanent squatting zones, and maybe even add a little security to it. Hopefully they've been strictly professional and haven't gotten -too- involved in local politics to make any enemies.

Afterall, they still don't have the contacts, resources, reputation, or equipment to really take on any of the Hong Kong Shadow veterans, just yet.

Step #4 - Moving up in the world.

Once the runners have put in their dues, they'll probably start changing out their secondhand equipment and getting some more modern toys - And by now, they'll probably have a couple of contacts that might have a line on corporate work. Once the corporate work starts, it's just a matter of pulling off the right job, the right way, without fragging over the employer, chummer.

And one of the fortunate things about Hong Kong is that with the social system in place, the more people you have a positive relationship with, the worse it will be for a Johnson to frag you over - So, as you continually prove you're on the level, the more likely your jobs will remain on the level.

----

Anyway. Just my two cents. Maybe that helped? Maybe not. Either way, good luck!
lorechaser
The main problem is you can't just walk up to a bar, belly up, and say "So, who's the local fixer in these parts?"

Get your hacker on the local info channels. Read every piece of news you can find, research the areas, the culture, the history (assuming they don't know it). After a week or so of reading news, you should have a pretty good idea about a few things that were actually 'runs.

Depending on how SINless they are, there's always the bounty hunter route - go to the local Star, find a few local criminals. Hunt them down, then offer to let them go if they'll give you a hookup.
2bit
nice job rotbart
Steak and Spirits

The main problem is you can't just walk up to a bar, belly up, and say "So, who's the local fixer in these parts?"

Lorechaser is entirely correct - But I wouldn't advise looking for a fixer right off the bat, anyway. What can they offer him, aside from a couple more lead bags on the next job he needs pulled with expendable bodies?

I'm assuming the team is starting with a weaponless Samurai, a comlinkless Hacker, a fociless Mage, and maybe an adept missing his weapon foci, and a rigger wondering why in the f*** he hasn't killed himself off, yet.

All of that makes legwork from the technological side of the house very difficult, if not outright impossible - Best to facilitate knowledge from human interaction. And if you hit the slums, where the Triads/Gangs do the policing, rather than the cops, it won't be long before you'd start noticing who the movers and shakers were.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Steak and Spirits)
I'm assuming the team is starting with a weaponless Samurai, a comlinkless Hacker, a fociless Mage, and maybe an adept missing his weapon foci, and a rigger wondering why in the f*** he hasn't killed himself off, yet.

That's a bit harsh - they still have the basic gear you can carry around.
(And any hacker without an implanted commlink isn't worth his salt. nyahnyah.gif)

The real problems stem from the fact that you are a stranger in a confucian culture: don't expect any charity and people will exploit you even more than 'usual'.
On the other hand, if you step on toes, lynch mobs will gather way faster.
Schaeffer
Great ideas so far, everyone. Big kudos to Rotbart, as he started in a way I hadn't considered, and was quite methodical about it.

The team has little pocket money. They also have very little gear, however, they do have the basics, as well as weapons and links, etc. They also happen, at least for a few of them, speak basic chinese and have some familiararity with Triads.

Each of them had a "get the hell out of Dodge" bag already put together that they grabbed during the exodus. I think for more cash, some of the goodies they managed to escape with are going to go bye-bye to whomever will buy it.

Agian, really good advice Rotbart! I also liked the pit-fighter ideas, and overall, moving into Kowloon City (but the characters won't). The only corp they need to avoid overall is Saedder-Krupp, so the offer their services to a corp idea is cool as well.
Steak and Spirits
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
(And any hacker without an implanted commlink isn't worth his salt. nyahnyah.gif)

Doh! Yeah. Duh. Good call. wink.gif
mfb
another option is to try to make an arrangment with a Triad, or a Yak family. it'd probably be a pretty crappy deal, but it'd at least be steady work.
Rotbart van Dainig
..BTW - why exactly did they had to bail, Schaeffer? wink.gif
Roadspike
I agree wholeheartedly with eidolon and Rotbart. The first things the team needs to worry about are a doss and contacts. Find a (relatively) safe place to crash, and find ways to meet people. This may simply be staying low for several weeks while the characters go out clubbing/going to semi-legal gyms/talking to people online/whatever other ways there are to meet people in the area. It may be contacting the Hong Kong branch of the Triad gang one of the characters knew in Seattle. It may be beating up a gang and selling their stuff on the black market.

Whatever it is, if you have a place to crash and you can find some people to talk to, you're well on your way. It'll be an interesting time for the 'Runners, however, as they have to rely on their wits and their skills rather than their gear. Really, it sounds like a great set-up for a fantastic non-run-of-the-mill adventure.
Schaeffer
..BTW - why exactly did they had to bail, Schaeffer? wink.gif

Well, to keep it short...

One of our last runs before the group's hiatus culminated in our having to kill one of our own (players) who had become drunk with power (longer story) and was a big time threat. Then we took a loooong gaming break.
When 4th edition came along, we converted the characters. In game time, I determined about 8 months or so had gone by. The team had been out of touch for half that long. At nearly precisely the same time, each recieved the following call (hope it's not too lame, and bear in mind the runner had become a pompous little bug -- no doubt he had to look up the big words):

“Hoi chummer.
“I’ll bet you’re surprised… I wish I could see your fuc**** face right now, but if you’re hearing this message, it means I’m dead. It means my fears about tonight’s meeting are true: You and the rest of the team are planning to kill me. Poor little Don...
“Why? Just because I made a grasp for power? Because I hoped to be as important as you think you are? You’re going to kill me tonight, and all because my so-called friends are just a bunch of jealous,scared sh**heads. I’ll bet you don’t even fight fair. <he laughed> If you try to be noble all of a sudden, you’ll fail. Cowards always do if they try to do the right thing…. <looked over his shoulder>
“According to the clock, I’m running out of time. I have to leave for the Penumbra, and I have to meet with you -- I have to go and die. <his smile grew wider> Here’s the 4-1-1 on the call. Think of it as my little gift to you, my little payback for all of the nice things you’ve done for me over the years, and most of all for killing me tonight.
“Since I know you’ll be careful for a while, now won’t be a good time for revenge. So I’ll wait. The information I’ve gathered, the sample I managed to get, it was tough, but I did it. It’s all been arranged… and now someone’s got you.
“Have fun, a**hole.”

Anyhow, one runner was hit outside Dante's by a team hired by SK, another by a Lonestar SWAT team, and yet another by members of the Shotozumi-gumi yakuza clan. The shaman -- retired and living in Sioux Territory with his girlfriend and child-- was nailed by another team of hitters. Each group of adversaries had been supplied with dirt on the team, dirt the dead man had arranged for. Each member of the player's team managed to survive in some fashion, link up, and then flee....

Basically several sessions after the phonecall, they're in Hong Kong starting over. Highly played characters who've had all their toys taken away, but through a helluva ( I think -- you had to be there) story.

Sorry to have put you to sleep, Rotbart, but ye asked smile.gif
Clyde
Nice story - makes for a great campaign hook.

One tip I'd throw in is to look for other foreigners. Every major city has expatriates, Hong Kong should definitely be no exception. Some of those foreigners will have business interests and shadow contacts, and they won't have any weird Confuscian attitudes or linguasoft problems getting in the way. The player characters will likely stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe none of the locals want anything to do with them, but a Brit or American with business connections might take a chance on them.

If the players don't have a coherent plan that makes sense to you, let them twist in the wind for a while. Then, as a GM, you could have one of these foreigners approach the team and just make an offer or two. That way the team doesn't sputter too long and you, the GM, don't have to break with the reality that their situation is bad. This foreigner can conveniently be in Europe on business at pretty much any time, too, what with Suborbitals and all. It lets the players know that they have to make some local contacts of their own while also giving them a guide as to how to go about that. You can speak through this NPC and give the players a perfectly usable cultural guide - everything from how to bow properly to who's egg rolls not to eat.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Schaeffer)
Sorry to have put you to sleep, Rotbart, but ye asked smile.gif

So, basically, it was just a plot device to start over in HongKong. wink.gif
Kremlin KOA
i would be arranging just enough work to get back to portland, and from there to go to seattle and get hold of the contacts one by one

using mind probe and alter memory I would have each one checked for loyalty, then would begin a campaign of removing the files those corps have on me
eidolon
QUOTE (Clyde)
One tip I'd throw in is to look for other foreigners. Every major city has expatriates,

Very excellent point.
kzt
QUOTE (Schaeffer)
Well, I guess it's not that the contacts are gone, but rather the team has no idea which ones they can trust right now, and so are avoiding any contact with their, err, contacts.

That's why you should always have at least one high loyalty contact. That loyalty 6 contact is worth two or three semi-trustworthy contacts all the time and worth a hell of a lot more when things go really bad.
kzt

Implanted commlinks are great. However they are even better for person looking for you. cool.gif

There is a reason why successful crooks and terrorists tend to go through a lot of pre-paid phones instead of investing in a really spiffy one that they can do everything that they could ever want.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
Implanted commlinks are great.  However they are even better for person looking for you.

No. Spoofing your Access Code is trivial, which is the only thing that identifies the hardware, and Commcodes are as easy to come by.

QUOTE (kzt)
There is a reason why successful crooks and terrorists tend to go through a lot of pre-paid phones instead of investing in a really spiffy one that they can do everything that they could ever want.

Because they are neither able to change the unique ID code of the cell phone, nor the unique ID of the SIM card, and are unable to rip off Ma Bell by freeloading, too.

Like I said - a hacker that has no internal commlink isn't worth his salt.
kzt
QUOTE (Schaeffer)
Anyhow, one runner was hit outside Dante's by a team hired by SK, another by a Lonestar SWAT team, and yet another by members of the Shotozumi-gumi yakuza clan. The shaman -- retired and living in Sioux Territory with his girlfriend and child-- was nailed by another team of hitters. Each group of adversaries had been supplied with dirt on the team, dirt the dead man had arranged for. Each member of the player's team managed to survive in some fashion, link up, and then flee....

So every ID the guy knew about is blown, and (unless they traveled by boat) they presumably had to either use a real sin or expose their last fake (the one with the real biometrics) to get on the airplane?

Can they be traced to where they got off the airplane in Hong Kong? If so I'd expect a lot of people casually looking for them with plans to turn them in for future favors.

Yeah, I'd stick to the criminal side to do stuff, and work low risk stuff. Or go completely legit (as much as you can with no ID) and try to get a job that keeps you off the streets and meeting as few criminals and cops as possibly for a few months until the heat dies down.

Of course our groups tended to do more infiltration/B&E/recovery than wetwork/extractions. So we could probably convince some semi-rich guy/gal to let us be their domestic help for a few months.
FrankTrollman
They could always sign up for the Cola Wars in Southeast Asia. A tour of duty with the Minute Men would give them a nice, clean Confederate SIN when they were done and no questions asked or answered about their past before that point. Show up two years later in Atlanta with ex-military passports that could take them anywhere north of the Aztlan border...

-Frank
kzt
QUOTE (kzt)
Implanted commlinks are great.  However they are even better for person looking for you.

No. Spoofing your Access Code is trivial, which is the only thing that identifies the hardware, and Commcodes are as easy to come by.

QUOTE (kzt)

Because they are neither able to change the unique ID code of the cell phone, nor the unique ID of the SIM card, and are unable to rip off Ma Bell by freeloading, too.

Like I said - a hacker that has no internal commlink isn't worth his salt.

Nope. There is a technique called radio fingerprinting. You can change out the ID of the phone and the SIM card and it doesn't help. It's also how military SigInt can pick out a particular transmitter and track it despite the change of location, frequencies, call signs and operators.

So go ahead, embed a transmitter in your skull and broadcast away. it's not like you have any enemies who might be willing to spend a significant amount of time and effort looking for you, right? And remember, a high gain antenna can pick up signals from much further than you can connect, particularly at high altitude to get good LOS.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
There is a technique called radio fingerprinting.

Depending on the non-standartisation and tolerances of equipment but influenced by ageing, distortion etc. (Dropping your cell phone to often might already alter it.)
Usually, it is used against intrusion with cloned IDs, building on the assumption that there is a fairly good quality sample beforehand...
Although, it itsn't even certain that, with the production methods most likely available in 2070, the same batch of tranceivers would have enough variation to distinguish them in real world conditions.

QUOTE (kzt)
It's also how military SigInt can pick out a particular transmitter and track it despite the change of location, frequencies, call signs and operators.

Sure... because they operate with a very specific kind and relatively small number of transceivers.
The use in huge meshed networks however, is less trivial.
In a world with noise levels and transmitter distribution like SR4, entropy most likely wins.

QUOTE (kzt)
So go ahead, embed a transmitter in your skull and broadcast away.

It is a very interesting question, whether a tranceiver build and maintained by nanites would show unique characteristics, or would change those even more rapidly over time.
It doesn't really matter, though, as you still can modify the firmware of the microcontroller to generate random variations in power distribution.
But there's the point why Moe Average Criminal won't do such things - it's simply not worth the effort.

QUOTE (kzt)
it's not like you have any enemies who might be willing to spend a significant amount of time and effort looking for you, right?

Obviously not, as you are still walking around with the same face... better worry about the basics first. wink.gif

QUOTE (kzt)
And remember, a high gain antenna can pick up signals from much further than you can connect, particularly at high altitude to get good LOS.

Sure. Perhaps there will be rules for directional antennas in Unwired...

But, basically RFF is like cryptography: something SR does not take into account at full value.
kzt
Although, it itsn't even certain that, with the production methods most likely available in 2070, the same batch of tranceivers would have enough variation to distinguish them in real world conditions.

I’d strongly argue that they would be easy to distinguish. Much easier.

The megacorps who owns the radio manufacturing also owns a manufacturer of the equipment used to run the network and bill subscribers and also own some of the telecom firms who collect money from subscribers and get hurt by people who don't pay. So I'd guess that yes, tracing features would be embedded at a level that you couldn't ever mess with. (Without making an entirely new molecular level board, at which point it is a unique radio with a unique fingerprint) They have no motivation to make devices that can be used to rip them off or to sell network hardware that nobody will buy because it's easy to rip off.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
The megacorps who owns the radio manufacturing also owns a manufacturer of the equipment used to run the network and bill subscribers and also own some of the telecom firms who collect money from subscribers and get hurt by people who don't pay.

Not that cut&dry, sorry.
Grid providers in SR usually vary from hardware suppliers - and you don't pay for access at all, you pay (if at all) for services like mailboxes and domain redirection (Access ID vs Commcode).

QUOTE (kzt)
So I'd guess that yes, tracing features would be embedded at a level that you couldn't ever mess with. (Without making an entirely new molecular level board, at which point it is a unique radio with a unique fingerprint)  They have no motivation to make devices that can be used to rip them off or to sell network hardware that nobody will buy because it's easy to rip off.

As there is no gain in watermarking every single transceiver, but only additional costs (as it essentially defeats the very idea of standartisation), corporations won't implement them. (And, even if they would, that only would be an incentive to get a grown and growing implant you can influence)
Check out the security (or lack thereof) in current RFID technology...

After analog cellular networks were replaced by GSM and the like, RFF isn't used anymore - it's perfectly possible to swap SIM cards.
It's now about cryptographic ID instead of potentially unreliable hardwarebased patterns.
kzt
As there is no gain in watermarking every single transceiver, but only additional costs (as it essentially defeats the very idea of standartisation), corporations won't implement them. (And, even if they would, that only would be an incentive to get a grown and growing implant you can influence)
Check out the security (or lack thereof) in current RFID technology...

RFID is based on the use of 5 cent modules that the retailers want to be much cheaper. The large volume retail users who drive the market have effectively no interest in security for RFID, so the people who develop the chips have about the same. If we do active RFID tags for equipment we have no interest in security either, as it's just an asset tag. I don't care if other random people can remotely retrieve a number that is a record number in a database that they can't get to. They could walk up to the device and get a lot more info, like the model and serial number, from the data plate if they really care.

A more interesting case is the way pretty much every color laser printer and copier prints the serial number and manufacturing code on every page it prints. Somehow this doesn't seem to interfere with their ability to mass produce them. It's also impossible for the user to stop, as it's apparently located inside the IC that drives the laser.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
RFID is based on the use of 5 cent modules that the retailers want to be much cheaper.  The large volume retail users who drive the market have effectively no interest in security for RFID, so the people who develop the chips have about the same.  If we do active RFID tags for equipment we have no interest in security either, as it's just an asset tag.  I don't care if other random people can remotely retrieve a number that is a record number in a database that they can't get to.  They could walk up to the device and get a lot more info, like the model and serial number, from the data plate if they really care.

Indeed - as SR4 features transceivers for everything, it's about the very same situation.

QUOTE (kzt)
A more interesting case is the way pretty much every color laser printer and copier prints the serial number and manufacturing code on every page it prints.  Somehow this doesn't seem to interfere with their ability to mass produce them.  It's also impossible for the user to stop, as it's apparently located inside the IC that drives the laser.

Serial number and manufacturing code are usually stored in EEPROM, as is the firmware of the microcontroller controlling the laser, as is the great firmware of the printer itself. Given enough effort, you could change them... or create printer similar to region-free DVD drives.
It's simply not economically sensible to produce non-generic hardware anymore, the rest is implemented in software.

A good example are Atheros WLAN chipsets. They don't even feature a real firmware - all features controlling the frequencies they are allowed to transmit on are stored in binaries within the drivers... and by reverseengineering those, it is possible to do lot's of things not really intended.
Schaeffer
Our session last night went well, and the players used a lot of Rotbart's advice. They managed to secure a (temporary) base of operations inside Kowloon City, and also aquired two contacts, a fixer and a member of the Black Crysanthemums. The fixer guided them to a run on a design firm, and the organlegger bought up the pieces of the gangers/former occupants of the team's new digs.

Thanks for the help folks. cyber.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012