Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirited away
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ombre
Stupid question # 452,589:

How do you adjudicate the use of Concealment when used to hide a vehicle with people inside ? Is there a limit as far as size is concerned ?

A spirit can cover up to (Force) people but I think it would be a bit easy to consider a vehicle as a single person.

Another solution I have considered is to use Object Resistance instead. So, a shaman asking his desert spirit to conceal their 4WD would need a Force 4 Spirit (since vehicle have an OR of 4).

Your take on that ?
Jaid
larger objects should be easier to notice, and therefore a (usually small) bonus to perception checks should be given as far as detecting them. since concealment removes dice from other people's perception pool, size is already factored in IMO.

not sure how you'd rule the vehicle though...
Ombre
Yes, I've thought about that...but still, considering a vehicle as one "slot" (i.e, a Force 4 spirit concealing 1 vehicle and 3 people) seems a bit easy to me...

According to the Perception test table, noticing a vehicle would only require a single success on an Intuition+Perception test.
But considering the fact that every NPC does not necessarily have the Perception Skill, it would only require a Force 2 or 3 spirit to be able to drive an "invisible" van...
At least with OR, you need a decent spirit to hide a van without being sure that it won't be spotted (it's just -4 on a perception test after all)

By the way, is Concealment purely visual or does it affect other senses (I would personally go for purely visual) ?
Jaid
concealment seems to work on all perception tests. if it was visual only, it would say it gives a penalty to perception(visual) tests, not just perception tests in general.
Lagomorph
You could also rule that OR reduces the power of the conceal bonus. so a force 5 spirit would give a -1 concealment on a OR 4 car.
Ombre
Maybe although the paragraph (p287 , Shadowrun 4) notes that "concealed people can see each other" instead of perceive.
Plus it would make the Silence power quite redundant, wouldn't it ?
Ombre
QUOTE (Lagomorph)
You could also rule that OR reduces the power of the conceal bonus. so a force 5 spirit would give a -1 concealment on a OR 4 car.

Interesting...it would effectively eliminate any thoughts of having a panzer plowing across the Aztlan/CAS border...
FrankTrollman
Plus it would make the Silence power quite redundant, wouldn't it ?

Well, no. The Silence Power is one I'm not especially happy about, but it travels with the spirit and affects an area rather than affecting a specific set of targets. So your spirit can be given a single order to follow you around with Silence, and then you can add new members to the team seamlessly all day without actually expending aditional services.

Silence, like Shadow Cloak, is a pretty minor power compared to the big ones like Concealment, Movement, and Guard. But it does have its uses.

-Frank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012