Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Damage vs Spell Force
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mistwalker
Sorry if this had been posted in the past, but my search-fu did not find it.
And the FanPro FAQ isn't there yet.
And I am brain dead at this point.

So, to see if I have this right, for a manabolt to drop someone in one shot, on average, they would need to cast it as a Force 12 spell, and get 12 hits (to be able to lose two to resist), to get the 10 Damage Value needed to drop the average person?

In the process from converting from SR3 to 4, and wanted to be sure I understood this part
TeOdio
No. The spell does damage equal to the force plus hits, kind of like damage from a weapon. The number of hits is capped by your spell force though. THerefore the max damage a spell can do is it's force x 2.
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
Mistwalker
OK, that makes more sense

Cast a Force 6 manabolt, and you start with 6 damage value with your first hit, and every extra hit adds to the damage. So in this case, your maximum damage value, before resistance, is 11?

Reread the magic section of the book a few times, but couldn't find anything that stated that clearly, nor an example. But then again, I am operating on about 3 brain cells right now. If anyone can point me to the page where this is listed, it would be appriciated.
James McMurray
No, your max damage value before resistance is 12 (6 force + 6 hits). remember that the limit on hits is on total hits, not net hits, so if you were to get 9 hits casting that force 6 spell you would throw 3 of them away before your target rolls his resistance.

Page 174, the spellcasting example is of a power bolt at force 5 with 1 net hit dealing 6 damage..
Mistwalker
Bangs his head on the table
read / skimmed that part more than once and missed it, at least this time round, must have seen it months ago when SR4 first came out.

Hmm, my Mz Johnson just gave me a run to do, get some ZZZs

Thanks all
Samaels Ghost
Reminder: That cap on hits doesnt apply if you've added edge to your spellcasting pool before the first roll. Edge breaks the cap, meaning you can use all your awesome hits on even a discrete Force 1 spell. Easy to erase and hard to see during casting, but the damage in more variable.

But that's how Edge goes biggrin.gif
Slithery D
Real men separate out the Edge dice and only treat them as immune to the cap.
Samaels Ghost
What're you trying to say, huh?
Cold-Dragon
He's being himself, don't take offense - you get use to it. nyahnyah.gif lol.

He's saying that it's a bit cheap to exploit the edge perks to make a force 1 spell into an assassins favorite toy (or at least quikspell wonder touch! Knock them out cold with the minimum effort!). I agree it's a bit cheap, but considering you are wasting edge on that...

It probably depends just how often you use edge in your game. low risk means could waste it like that, but high risk means you better need to be turning that force 1 into a gambit for a good reason, or else you may find yourself out of edge to save your life later.
Samaels Ghost
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
He's being himself, don't take offense - you get use to it. nyahnyah.gif lol.

He's saying that it's a bit cheap to exploit the edge perks to make a force 1 spell into an assassins favorite toy (or at least quikspell wonder touch! Knock them out cold with the minimum effort!). I agree it's a bit cheap, but considering you are wasting edge on that...

It probably depends just how often you use edge in your game. low risk means could waste it like that, but high risk means you better need to be turning that force 1 into a gambit for a good reason, or else you may find yourself out of edge to save your life later.

We've got the last one. We refresh every run or major downtime. So this won't be used by me unless I really need it (low on health, cops nearby, need to stay inconspicous).

I/m not one to take offense online, was just egging on the fake e-fight biggrin.gif
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Slithery D)

Does this mean that women, gays, and wimps don't have too? Hmm, what if your confused? eek.gif
cx2
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Sep 15 2006, 09:51 PM)

Does this mean that women, gays, and wimps don't have too? Hmm, what if your confused? eek.gif

And let's not even get started on those half way between nyahnyah.gif
Slithery D
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Sep 15 2006, 09:51 PM)

They have no macho bullshit to prove; they therefore never use Edge at all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012