Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What character generation system do you use?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Steel Eyes
With all of the recent polls and threads regarding character creation, I was wondering what system and how many points you all started your characters out at. I'm talking about when you start a new campaign, not an existing one.

Also what house rules/other options do you use?
TinkerGnome
My prefered character creation methods when I'm running are either the point system (123 points) or priority. I was just recently introduced to BeCKS, and haven't had a chance to really see how it stacks up against other creation systems.

For priority and point systems, they each are better for one type of character. A human mundane is almost always better off with the build point system, while an awakened character generally does better under the priority build system.
Elfie
It really depends on the kind of character you're playing, IMO. Like from what I've heard, it's kinda hard to do magic (pure numbers-wise) in BeCKS, and if I'm trying to make a full-out decker, BeCKS isn't as good as 123 Build Point system. I don't like the priority system anymore, now that I know of the Sum to 10 system, since It seems pointless to waste both D and E if I want to be a mundane human. There are a lot of little things that you can tweak in each system, and I think you just have to play around with them all depending on what kind of character you want to play.
TinkerGnome
The only thing I've used BeCKS for is creating a mage, actually. I found while you loose out on some things (lots of high stats and skills), it has other advantages (high skill specializations, lots and lots of spellpoints).
Elfie
Its those high skills that make me shy away from BeCKS when building a decker. It's hard to make a highly specialized character I've found, but it's amazing when building well rounded characters. I had fun with BeCKS for my Mafia Affair Decker/Face/Gunner. Otherwise I'm a fan of BP
Kagetenshi
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of BeCKS, so I'm going with point build. I may try BeCKS again if I decide to make a generalist in the future, though.

~J
phelious fogg
Sum to ten is broken IMHO. Becks its annoying just from a numbers aspect to me, but its usable. Really, it doesnt matter so long as every person involved in a game uses the same system. Point Buy and Priority are interchangable which is the only reason i like them about other systems
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (phelious fogg)
Sum to ten is broken IMHO. Becks its annoying just from a numbers aspect to me, but its usable. Really, it doesnt matter so long as every person involved in a game uses the same system. Point Buy and Priority are interchangable which is the only reason i like them about other systems

What's broken about sum to 10? It does tend to make slightly more powerful humans and mages (putting 0 into skills is a common way of thinking I have noticed among some magician players), but other than that it's nearly the same as priority.
Shadow
Point system all the way. It gives you a lot more creative control over your character that I feel the other systems do not.
Adarael
I use Sum to 10 most of the time.
Why?

Because when I make a mundane human, a lot of the time I don't want 'A, B, C' on stuff. I want 'B, B, B.' Or some variant therein.
Steel Eyes
I use build points, but Becks looks interesting.
Rock-Steady
Yeah build points baby.....
Sahandrian
Becks. It's not often I make a heavily specialized character, and even then I like how Becks works anyway.
Cray74
Priority system is adequate. Easier to keep track of player numbermancy that way.
Munchkinslayer
points. I like your "numbermancy" Crazy. Think I'll borrow it.
Hida Tsuzua
I go with BECKS. I like it and tend to do runs with small numbers of generalists (i.e. 1-2 at best) so it fits them well. Easy to scale as well.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (Munchkinslayer)
points. I like your "numbermancy" Crazy. Think I'll borrow it.

Why does it seem to take everyone a month or more to notice that his name is Cray?
Urba|\|inja
I like BeCKS because I like my characters to be able to handle alot of stuff... I don't want an unbeatable warrior that's gonna starve to death in a grocery store, but I don't want an Einstein who dies from a hangnail either. You catcha my drift?
Munchkinslayer
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Why does it seem to take everyone a month or more to notice that his name is Cray?

Damn!
Morphling The Pretender
I like BeCKs because, though it is un-munchy, it is versitile; you spend exactly as much Karma as you desire on everything. You need 350K and Lots of skills? Or how about 650K and Some decent attribtues? You can't get the same precision with points...

Of course, I use the Sum-To-Ten for Human Non-Magicals. There is NO reason not to. (Two A priorities and a C? One A and two B's? SURE! biggrin.gif )
Catsnightmare
I've only played using Point Build and Priority. I use Point Build for mundane/cyber characters, and use strictly priority for making magical characters unless I can convince the GM to give a few more points, since the Buld Point system favors mundanes and screws magiacians.
Roadspike
I'm all about the points system, since I generally play mundanes, and often Mundane Humans.
DV8
Sum-to-ten: It's fun, flexible and easy.
ialdabaoth
I swear by BeCKS, myself. I don't like arbitrary distinctions between character creation and advancement. Although I modify BeCKS somewhat, in a few non-canonical ways.
Kagetenshi
BeCKS being noncanonical to begin with, of course your modifications are noncanonical.

~J
ialdabaoth
Well, BeCKS is non-canonical as a creation system, but it uses canon rules for Karma expenditure. I deviate mildly from those.

Basically, I start everyone at 1 for all attributes, regardless of race, and then allow attributes up to the bonus to be purchased at 1x, then up to the RML at 2x, and up to the max at 3x.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012