Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A GURPS conversion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eltern
Hello! I'm a long time lover of Shadowrun's world, and a newfound lover of GURPS's game mechanics. Has anyone done a conversion of 4th Edition Shadowrun mechanics to 4th Edition GURPS? I'm mainly looking for things like cybernetics and the matrix, but I do realize that many other things (magic, for example) are pretty different, too.

Thanks for the help!
Pvt awol
Thats an ambitious goal. the games are really different. if you figure it out let me know.
Jaid
i thought the whole point of GURPS was that it fit any game in existence.

evidently i was wrong, i suppose.

seriously, if it's shadowrun "flavor" you want, then that takes about half a second. just rename everything in whatever GURPS cyberpunk type thing exists out there (i'm sure there's something) and BAMF! instant flavor.

(oh, and then repeat the process with whatever passes for a magic system, drop them into a bowl and mix.)
Samaels Ghost
There's no implant tech in GURPS? Are there rules that could be similar to implants, like custom powers?

Kremlin KOA
the downside of gurps cyber is it is more efficient to just raise stats than to do it with cyber
Eltern
Yes, basically everything is replicable with GURPS rules. However, some things, like the virtual world of the Matrix, Essence costs of cybergear, and riggers, don't translate perfectly.

Also, all the rules for high tech gizmos haven't been updated to GURPS 4th edition, yet. GUPRS: Ultratech is coming out in November, but I wanted to see if I had anything to work with until then.
Dentris
Riggers are easy: Possession (digital) with remote control...

For astral and matrix, you could always allow to buy attributes and powers with a -75% modifier (matrix only) or (astral only).

For cyberware: just add a -20% modifier (electrical) to the attributes/powers.

For bioware: add a -5% modifier to the attributes (possible technological countermesure) to the attributes/powers.

And if you want to mimic the essence attributes, put a maximum value, possibly 120 points that can be put in either magical spells, adept powers or cyber/bioware. Initiation would increase this maximum by 20...up to a maximum of 240 points.

A good Shadowrun campaign would have players with a power levelof approximatly 200-250 points, considering they are way more powerful than a normal metahuman.
Teulisch
gurps cyberware costs character points to get. it costs teh same as getting it without cyber. getting an extra IP costs 100 points, which is way too much.

basicly, gurps charges what an item is worth, and this makes a sam cost way too much to every actualy play. or if you charge money instead of points.. money is too easy to start with making a lot of millionare sama too easy.

part of the feel, is what the rules encourage you to do. gurps does not play well with shadowrun in terms of augmentation mechanics.
Mister Juan
There are already a bunch of SR to GURPS conversion guide floating around the web. There's at least one here and I know you can find one on pretty much any file sharing program.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012