Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: File Sharing in the wired world.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ankle Biter
With it being far easier for a hacker to break the copy protection on a programme than it is for them to write their own software, why isn't there a shadowsea equivalent of Kazaa?

I would like some oppinions before I stick my oar in, but anybody else have a clue?
Walknuki
Because a character could hop on and download level 6 of each program out there for free. I think it's more of a game ballance issue than realism.

If you want underground secret matrix trading stations in your game then by all means throw them in.
Cold-Dragon
Yes and no: if you go and crack a program already made, it may be infinitely faster than making such a program, but there's no guarantee you have the skill to do it (if it was secured by a top notch person). Cheap programs probably aren't a hassle.

Now, even though it's faster, it doesn't make it better. If you go and crack something, and the original creator finds it like that, they will probably recognize their own work in some fashion, and then potentially know you did it or at least downloaded it. Worse still, a mean programmer may very well make his program with a special style of 'payback' if you do break it and make copies.

No one said you couldn't bury a IC into a program, did they? Or a hidden objective on a agent that activates when the code is cracked.

:Optional objective: Locate operator. Neutralize operator. Acquire information from Operator in regards to programming.

if_original_crack: Terminate operator and delete self IF password(rosebud) not supplied.
ifnot_original_crack: Warn user of violation, imbed data fragment 2355254 into memory and delete self.
if_fragment:2355254_found: terminate operator and delete self.
:End Program

Or something nasty like that.
SL James
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Now, even though it's faster, it doesn't make it better. If you go and crack something, and the original creator finds it like that, they will probably recognize their own work in some fashion, and then potentially know you did it or at least downloaded it. Worse still, a mean programmer may very well make his program with a special style of 'payback' if you do break it and make copies.

You mean like magicians can with spell formulae? Agreed. But then again, I'm sure there are people making a living off "fixing" and then redistributing this software.

QUOTE (RH @ 100)
ShadowSea also serves as a locus for trading music, trids, sims, software, games, and just about anything else electronic.
Walknuki
I'm fairly sure we don't need this turning into a code writing thread proof.gif

But we get what you're saying.
Cold-Dragon
What? I can't have fun with some small scale examples? wink.gif Besides, in the Matrix it's not codes, it's icons! nuyen.gif
cx2
Plus, why give it away when you can sell it?

Otherwise you could be giving your competitors... at least socially speaking... access to all the tools you have for no return. Especially true with combat software, no hacker would want everyone running around with rating 6 black hammer and armour.
Dissonance
Also, given that the internet has been rebuilt about two times (three, if you count the idea of Internet2's eventual rise and fall), once completely from the ground up? Peer to Peer stuff might be nigh-impossible on a widespread basis. Given corporate presence, it might have even been designed from the ground up to be unfriendly to services like Kazaa and Bittorrent.

Corporate influence aside, consider that the internet is not a very friendly place in this period of time. Considering that it might be possible to get malware on your system from just walking around in the mall? Imagine what kind of gunk could get on your system when intentionally trying to do something illegal. All you need are a couple of news reports about how some kid died while trying to rip the newest Karl Kombatmage off some filesharing site. It doesn't matter if the story is true or not. Enough of those, and you'll get a nice bit of reluctance to use the computer for anything nefarious.

Plus, game balance.
SL James
QUOTE (Dissonance)
Also, given that the internet has been rebuilt about two times (three, if you count the idea of Internet2's eventual rise and fall), once completely from the ground up? Peer to Peer stuff might be nigh-impossible on a widespread basis. Given corporate presence, it might have even been designed from the ground up to be unfriendly to services like Kazaa and Bittorrent.

You mean like the original Matrix post-Crash of '29?

There was always a reason why the Matrix wasn't "realistic" compared to the RL one. The main reason being that it was (re)built by the corps so that it wasn't based around free exchange, it was secure and designed around pushing content to users. No wonder it was so completely fucked up compared to what latecomers (i.e., those of you and those who write for Fanpro who suddenly discovered the Internet on the cover of Time in 1994) seem to have grown to believe is what the Matrix "should" be.
knasser
QUOTE (Ankle Biter @ Sep 17 2006, 08:12 PM)
With it being far easier for a hacker to break the copy protection on a programme than it is for them to write their own software, why isn't there a shadowsea equivalent of Kazaa?

I would like some oppinions before I stick my oar in, but anybody else have a clue?

In the early years of the 21st century, a company called Minisoft teamed up with a company called Untel and together produced a system that was like a spy cum licence plate for CPUs that basically took away a user's control over their own computer. Unapproved software was blocked from full access to the computer, e.g. so that you couldn't browse the web without reporting your ID, couldn't unlock purchased media without using approved software and the media itself was keyed to work only on that particular computer. Naturally, a processor ID was registered and the database knew who owned it and was culpable for misuse.

De facto, it transformed the model of computer purchasing from "ownership" into "licencing". Henceforth, music and video and software were more licenced than purchased, with built in number of plays or periods of use. It also opened the door for charging licence fees to software manufacturers to make use of this technology on a computer, thus closing the market to smaller players and creating a higher barrier to entry for new companies, thus further consolidating power in the hands of Minisoft. Essentially, computers, software and media were now "rented." It was in your house, but it was under the control of Minisoft and Untel.

However, they called the scheme Trusted Computing which sounded nice and reassuring so everyone thought it was a good thing and bought it. And thus ended the Private Ownership Age.

Goodnight, consumers, everywhere.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)

Think about what you find on P2P shares theses days. Nothing Military or Megacorp in nature so you probably could find Rating 3 or less apps and I'm sure plenty Rating 6 Common use programs.

IMO, there would be no "CIA cracking programs" or "AT&T crash utilities" on Kazaa 2070. The fear of retribution by Military or Megacorp would be a concern to services like that. You think RIAA is bad? Aztech and Renraku are worse.

Also, there is angle to make a buck since those apps are in demand folks will pay a premium price.
Drraagh
Look at Neuromancer.

`There,' said the Flatline, `the blue one. Make it out? That's an entry code for Bell Europa. Fresh, too. Bell'll get in here soon and read the whole damn board, change any codes they find posted. Kids'll steal the new ones tomorrow.'

So, in my eyes, if a character is willing to spend time, perhaps some forumla of the time it would take to program it to show how it mgiht take longer or quicker to find it and get it downloaded. Perhaps use the search rules and then a success test based on time for downloading? But you don't want to make it easier than programming it overall for each of these options. And when code is freely available, perhaps it doesn't function as its rating is. Maybe give it a -1 effective rating if run as stock code or something? Maybe it's just an exploit that works on older systems for the script kiddies to play with?
SL James
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
IMO, there would be no "CIA cracking programs" or "AT&T crash utilities" on Kazaa 2070. The fear of retribution by Military or Megacorp would be a concern to services like that. You think RIAA is bad? Aztech and Renraku are worse.

Not on Kazaa 2070...

Hacker House was a clearinghouse for decking programs back in the day (for sale, natch). I'd assume ShadowSea's p2p trading area fills part of that role as well.
FrankTrollman
The World Recording Industry Army (WRIA) will fucking send ninjas to your house if they can back trace your daughter downloading proprietary songs from childrens trid shows. None of this candy-assed fining little girls $10,000 US, that's old thinking. And it's bad publicity. If you just never hear from those little girls ever again it's all so much cleaner.

-Frank
SL James
Well, what happened the first time some stealthed runner (or more likely, some stupid fucking script kiddie) hides behind someone else's IP, and some kid whose too young to operate their home terminal alone gets disappeared?

Especially if it's a corp brat. I smell shadowrunnery reprisal action.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (SL James)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 18 2006, 11:41 AM)
IMO, there would be no "CIA cracking programs" or "AT&T crash utilities" on Kazaa 2070.  The fear of retribution by Military or Megacorp would be a concern to services like that.  You think RIAA is bad?  Aztech and Renraku are worse.

Not on Kazaa 2070...

Hacker House was a clearinghouse for decking programs back in the day (for sale, natch). I'd assume ShadowSea's p2p trading area fills part of that role as well.

I still think there's too much money to be made to just share-it away though.
Jaid
the other problem, as has been mentioned, is trust.

do you really trust some random person you've never met to not put some kind of crazy exploit into the program? do you really want to risk finding out there's IC on your own commlink that took your biometric data, sent all your money to some bank account, stole your SIN, and is currently uploading psychotropic persona-fix BTLs into your sim module and activating it?
Drraagh
QUOTE (Jaid)

do you really trust some random person you've never met to not put some kind of crazy exploit into the program? do you really want to risk finding out there's IC on your own commlink that took your biometric data, sent all your money to some bank account, stole your SIN, and is currently uploading psychotropic persona-fix BTLs into your sim module and activating it?

This is why I would say to own two decking systems.

One is a barebones system that connects to a internal, non-matrix connected network. It is designed to emulate Matrix traffic, and has various debugging and troubleshooting programs to see what happens with programs and such. Sort of a training ground and testing for programs.

The other is a souped up trix rig for decking. Once you verify that the program isn't sending out information or anything like that, and poured over the code to see if it has any bugs and such, load it on the rig you run the shadows with.

Of course, I still go by SR3 mentality, but I would assume it is similar to SR4. I've skimmed through the SR4 book, but as no one plays Shadowrun locally, I haven't had much need to learn the new rules, at least until they make an SR4 online game. ;P
knasser
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (SL James @ Sep 18 2006, 02:02 PM)
IMO, there would be no "CIA cracking programs" or "AT&T crash utilities" on Kazaa 2070.  The fear of retribution by Military or Megacorp would be a concern to services like that.  You think RIAA is bad?  Aztech and Renraku are worse.

Not on Kazaa 2070...

Ah but the thing is, we (society) have reached such a level of technical development that what used to be the province of universities and big companies, can now be written by the users themselves. There's not much profit to be had in selling things to people that they can do themselves. Oh, if it took a user a long time to duplicate your effort there would be, but everyone's connected and well organised now so you're competing with the entire user base. I'm writing this using a browser that began life as an entirely free software project, for example. All of this is going to count double for "hacking" software in SR and other exploit software.

The only way that the traditional software producers will be able to compete is through (a) Patent Legislation which they keep trying to push through the European Parliament and (b) plots like the "trusted computing" initiative I mentioned earlier. I.e. hindering other people from writing their own software through various legal and coercive means.
knasser
QUOTE (Jaid @ Sep 18 2006, 05:05 PM)

I'm not sure if you mean that to be an argument for shareable software or if you meant it to support buying from a company, but it's definitely the former. Who are you going to trust to provide you software? Renraku - a big corporation that gives you a compiled program that you have no idea what's inside? Or the project produced by forty+ hackers around the globe who (a) are much harder to subvert by the very nature of their (dis)organisation and variety of goals and interests, and (b) whose source code you can read to see exactly what it is doing? You may not actually bother to check all the code, but you have the option if you want to and you know that there are people who will.

Renraku or alt.hackcode.commlink.? The latter is waaaaaayyyyy more trustworthy! Not to mention is going to include all the latest exploits against Renraku IC. wink.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 18 2006, 04:37 PM)

Not on Kazaa 2070...

Ah but the thing is, we (society) have reached such a level of technical development that what used to be the province of universities and big companies, can now be written by the users themselves. There's not much profit to be had in selling things to people that they can do themselves. Oh, if it took a user a long time to duplicate your effort there would be, but everyone's connected and well organised now so you're competing with the entire user base. I'm writing this using a browser that began life as an entirely free software project, for example. All of this is going to count double for "hacking" software in SR and other exploit software.

The only way that the traditional software producers will be able to compete is through (a) Patent Legislation which they keep trying to push through the European Parliament and (b) plots like the "trusted computing" initiative I mentioned earlier. I.e. hindering other people from writing their own software through various legal and coercive means.

Although that applies in 2006, I am not sure that would still be the case in 2070 were corporations operated on their own laws and in many cases are the government.

Plus who wants an RPG that mimics real-life? I play to escape it! wink.gif

I still think p2p would be useful in 2070 but with far more consequences than in current times. I bet SOTA will have much to say about what's relavant for p2p sharing for Hacking apps, they should degrade the fastest.
Drraagh
Can you imagine Shadowrun with this whole Net Neutrality issue. Each corporation having to pay the various Matrix Service Providers a fee or connecting to their site from your connection is slow and buggy or may not even exist in your version of the net. ;P
Jaid
i imagine the ISPs would cooperate very quickly. in fact, i imagine the ISPs would largely be owned by the megacorps in the first place, and it would be the little guys (as usual) who get screwed.

assuming, that is, that there are ISPs in SR4... which it doesn't really look like there are, as such (it's more of a public service than it is private).
TonkaTuff
Actually, it's a private service, for the most part. Most legit folks pay for (or are provided by their employers - meaning they pay for it in other ways) Matrix Service Providers (MSPs). There are also, natch, public access sites (libraries, street corner kiosks, etc), but they're generally pretty limited and still require a SIN to access - so you're paying for it with your tax dollars. With the wireless matrix, it's more akin to ubiquitous public hotspots, but unless you have a service account with someone or use your limited access as a Citizen, you won't be getting anything but spam... and questions about how someone without a SIN (read: someone who legally can't have a job, and thus, income) has a commlink.

Shadowrunners, being the degenerate SINless low-lifes that they are, steal their matrix service. That's one reason why they have all those utilities. Legitimate Matrix consumers have account privs that let them do basic things like finding and running content. For the average legitimate Matrix user, "Common use" programs are more or less moneymaking scams, since they already have access to those functions necessary for using the Matrix at all (albeit, filtered according to the whims of their MSP) as part of their service.
Dranem
People without SINs have commlinks much like people today have Pay-as-you-Go phones. No contract, pay per use (part of your lifestyle costs), boxes that can be used by anyone - once activated. Which makes it great for smacking up some ganger and stealing their commlink.. it's basically an unregistered phone (or registered under a fake name), so it's great to use if you're in a bind.
SL James
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

Not on Kazaa 2070...

Hey, Hacker House didn't do it for free. And a corp may kill you. A pissed-off hacker will kill you, or worse.
Rotbart van Dainig
Accessing the matrix is free in 2070 for Joe Average.
And if you don't want tracking-ads-sponsored email and voice boxes or domain redirection, online storage, etc. - you pay for those services.

Piracy will feature the same checks and balances it does today - mined releases get nuked pretty quickly (especially considering ratings...) and utilities not enough people care about won't even be released.
There is no real reason to assume that the open-source scene will have perished, too, as collaboration is so much easier on the new matrix.

Does that really matter for in-game reasons?
Not much.

If your runners are lazy, the'll pay for their gun/program - if not, the'll steal it.
It's not like they have any moral or professional restrictions towards that...
Warmaster Lah
I'd say the little stuff is probably traded Peer to Peer. Like obsessed band fanboy hackers distributing music or movies.

But No Hacker worth their wetware is going to use elite programs distributed for free. Maybe a pirate copy of MDword word processor but no heav stuff.... If they aren't paranoid about something like that then they'll be dead soon.

Well of course you can trust a Hacker House because they charge, and also because if they screwd over their users they'd be out of business.
Shrike30
Black Hammer is illegal as shit. It's used to assault people via the Matrix. If you're the average citizen, it can knock you senseless and maybe overflow it's way into some intercranial bleeding before you get dumped from the Matrix, and then the dumpshock gets laid on top of that. If you're a security decker or a LEO (one of those folks who's got a legal reason to run hot sim) it can kill you straight up.

Distributing Black Hammer via P2P is a pretty good way to get your deck burned out, your forebrain fried, or a SWAT team roping down onto your roof. It's the same if you're passing out any of the restricted programs, really... all the major security companies and Uncle Fed have a vested interest in programs like Exploit, BH, and all those other illegal goodies that are the real hacker's lifeblood being tracked down and suppressed. If they can't trace the connection back to your deck, they'll just fry whatever you're routing it through. After a while, nobody will do it anymore, because it's just too expensive.

Imagine if, rather than sueing you, the RIAA could just beat your forebrain in with a claw hammer. That is why file sharing of illegal programs does not happen.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Distributing Black Hammer via P2P is a pretty good way to get your deck burned out, your forebrain fried, or a SWAT team roping down onto your roof.

Erm... yeah. And what do you do if a character actually uses that program?

Those total-crack-down phantasies don't make any sense at all, if you still want a game were the characters can do worse things on a regular basis.
Shrike30
There's a slight difference between sitting there freely distributing the data to whoever (including the cops) asks to download it, and covering your trail as much as possible while you infiltrate a site and hack their cameras. One says "Hey, look here, I have a copy of Exploit, a highly illegal program used by hackers to break into secured locations. Does anyone want it?" The other says "Hey, cameras... do this."
WhiskeyMac
We are talking about runner ran P2P networks, right? Why wouldn't a hacker who steals a brand new kick-ass program from NeoNET seed his older, but still kick-ass, program on the secure network he is part of to help out his fellow runners? Oh, right, that wouldn't make sense because no runner would be that nice. I think that common programs with a few bugs in them might be seeded throughout the normal P2P networks at ratings 1-4, maybe 5 if your lucky. Hacking programs maybe only through those deep hidden P2P networks that require membership fees or recommendations to get into. It just seems like one way or another, anything that is connected to the Matrix can be found with enough searching. I figure that if my hacker wants to spend most of his free time hunting down hacking programs on a P2P network, why not reward him. Just another way of helping players enjoy their characters.

I'm not saying they'll find a rating 6 Black Hammer with super optimized options, but they might find a framework they can use to clean up the code and make their own version. It just doesn't make sense that because someone wants to help their character out that GMs have to hold them down and make it seem like hacker run P2P only have the exact same shit as every other P2P network.
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
We are talking about runner ran P2P networks, right? Why wouldn't a hacker who steals a brand new kick-ass program from NeoNET seed his older, but still kick-ass, program on the secure network he is part of to help out his fellow runners?

Because said "fellow runner" is fairly likely to be the up-and-coming bastard who is going to be hired by someone interested in ending your promising career (life.)
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
We are talking about runner ran P2P networks, right? Why wouldn't a hacker who steals a brand new kick-ass program from NeoNET seed his older, but still kick-ass, program on the secure network he is part of to help out his fellow runners? Oh, right, that wouldn't make sense because no runner would be that nice.

I don't think it's safe to assume all runners want to help each other out. Runners by nature are hired guns and direct competitors. If they have an advantage over others, then that means more jobs and more pay for themselves.

In contrast, I am sure there are some hacker communities with other agendas that might be geared at making sure they are propogating the tools everyone needs to "Hack the World".

WhiskeyMac
I'm not saying all hackers or every runner hacker would disseminate their programs to the world. Just that in a hacker ran P2P network, you would probably find hacker programs because it makes sense. Those might be seeded by a corp goon and have horrible bugs but hey, it's there. I just think that a hacker ran P2P network would be better than a common person P2P network and have a wider selection of programs, suites and such to peruse. Of course, in order to get into that network you have to be vouched for or hack your way in but that just represents the legwork to actually find and use the network.
knasser
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Sep 20 2006, 01:22 PM)
QUOTE (WhiskeyMac @ Sep 20 2006, 10:56 AM)
We are talking about runner ran P2P networks, right? Why wouldn't a hacker who steals a brand new kick-ass program from NeoNET seed his older, but still kick-ass, program on the secure network he is part of to help out his fellow runners? Oh, right, that wouldn't make sense because no runner would be that nice.

I don't think it's safe to assume all runners want to help each other out. Runners by nature are hired guns and direct competitors. If they have an advantage over others, then that means more jobs and more pay for themselves.

In contrast, I am sure there are some hacker communities with other agendas that might be geared at making sure they are propogating the tools everyone needs to "Hack the World".

Hacking is the same the whole World over. Especially with languagesofts flattening the last international barriers. The advantages to the hacker community of a widespread culture of sharing faaaaaaar outweigh the risk that you've accidentally shared a trick with someone who's competing for with you for the same job. And before anyone pipes up that hacking jobs will also be an international market, that wasn't my point. My point is that simply racking up the number of hacker-types World wide, it's going to be a longshot that you're helping out a competitor. And even in the case that it did happen, the sort of people that will be releasing cutting edge hacks are likely to be or soon be the ones that are spoilt for jobs anyway. There's room for camaraderie.

As to the same companies that make security systems selling programs and tools that exploit their weaknesses - I see that not just as a bad idea, but also fatal marketing. And they're mutually exlcusive goals anyway - "Sir, message from marketing. We need to put more security holes in our latest Black IC suite - out attack programs aren't selling well enough."

If people without a legal reason to be hacking want hacking software, they're going to be getting it through illegitimate channels. At best, corps would be selling "security testing toolkits" that served as low-rating hacking programs that picked out obvious weaknesses.

I think the better connected your hacker is (and the better his skills), the more he will find his way into more exclusive trading networks (i.e. higher rating programs). In these circles, payment / dues wont be in nuyen.gif (though I suppose it would be possible) but in your ability to contribute new exploits and programs and tricks yourself.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (knasser)
In these circles, payment / dues wont be in nuyen.gif (though I suppose it would be possible) but in your ability to contribute new exploits and programs and tricks yourself.

This is especially true as backdoors through exploits found by probing the target stay valid (no rolls required) until an alarm is triggered or they are fixed by routine updates:
If you managed to gain root acess to some interesting systems, such info is worth a lot.
Ankle Biter
Well, a lot of oppinions have no been voiced so here are my two bits...

Hacking programmes are by their nature illegal, there is no legitimate megacorp who would intentionally build a hacking programme that is not wired to tell the boss when joe hacker is trying to break into joe's pizza and redirect an order, if joe's pizza is a wholly owned subsidiary of the corp.

Open scource software has always been out there, as there are hackers even today basically programme just to show off how good a programme they can write.

In a world of psychotropic IC, hackers who take the mickey by putting exploits into freely disseminated progs tend to go home with their neurones rewired so they can only get hard to porcupines or something. Specially in a community as hard as shadowsea.

I don't see why Sadowsea would not have an open scource software section with various hackers working on it 24/7 just to get their name on the "This prog was made by" list. Including some bugger who just sits there doing the equivalent of a minor adjustment and rehash every few seconds just to keep corp spies from tracking its dissemination. This should be the best way of getting the best software for your box.

The startup cost of software, I believe, is effectively the bribery and or work investment in getting permission to download the software, or finding a mate to give it to you.

While there may be hackers who build hack progs for money, I don't see why they should be any more or less trusted than a shadowsea ran group project. Especially as you have to be suspicious of any anti crack software they added to the prog you bought.

With the sharing of legal software/sounds etc, I imagine that with the 2070 twice rebuilt matrix the problem is that legitimate software will be wired to more or less be constantly connected and telling the software designer's corp your marketing info / software version / liscence etc. Eg if you bought a virtual poster of some band or other, even running it in edit will, in my eyes, result in the edit prog automatically asking the copyright holder if that is ok before unlocking 'edit proteciton' on the image.

Therefore I guess runners would also be using less commercial versions of these progs that do not have that kind of baggage in them. Again open source would be the only place to be able to get trusted software for this kind of applicaiton.

I feel that there is a problem with the rules as they stand in that they make cracking a programme's copy protection far too easy and consequence free considering the lengths that megacorps go to protect their software rights, while simultaneously making programming far too difficult, when in the icon driven modern matrix, building a video file player/editer without spyware from the ground up should be almost as easy as getting the DRM crap out of a "legitimate" prog.

What do you think?
hobgoblin
Hacking programmes are by their nature illegal

the book rates them as R(estricted) not F(orbidden)...

so from what i can tell, they are comparable to a handgun when it comes to legality...
Ankle Biter
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 21 2006, 04:21 PM)

so from what i can tell, they are comparable to a handgun when it comes to legality...

Hrm.

Guess the CIA types have them custom built then.

I still would rather use open scource progs than CIA ones, in case the CIA stuff has "WE AM LOVE AMERIKKA" subliminals in it or something....
knasser
QUOTE (hobgoblin)

Restricted might as well be Forbidden in this case. I'm not saying it has to work this way, but it seems reasonable that when you purchase a restricted program such as Renraku's "Security Investigator Suite 2.3" it requires registration. And more than just registration, its use is recorded by Renraku. Which means if you wanted to use it for nefarious purposes, it would have to be cracked or spoofed in some way. You wouldn't even be able to move it from one SIN you possess to another without cracking it so even if you have a good enough SIN that you can buy this software with, the moment you use it, you might as well throw that SIN away.

So if the corps are producing hacking programs, then you're still going to need the cracked version anyway, which brings us back to square one.

Additionally, you obviously aren't going to use Renraku's infiltration software against Renraku customers. Likewise for Mitsuhama or whatever. So you'll need to be buying from a selection of providers and watching how you deploy it. I'm of the opinion anyway, that for a corporation, the big money in discovering security exploits wouldn't be in selling them to piss-pot little hackers and Shadowrunners but in using it in-house for corporate espionage. Also, given the incestuous nature of software development, a lot of exploits that would be good against a rival's security, might just be good against your own!

So for me, the real question is not whether this is the way things work, but how do we integrate it into the game in a way that is balanced. Obviously we don't want players picking up all these toys for free!
hobgoblin
hmm, data search, with the rating of the program squared as a target?

then slap on some mods if your after a version thats not infected with some tracer or trojan, the wrong one (badly labeld stuff is a pain in the ass), and maybe how traceable you want to be while getting it...

timeframe pr test: 1 day, 1 week, 1 month?
James McMurray
The simplest answer to "Do P2P networks exist in SR" is "does your GM want you having free software?" If he does, the networks exist. If he doesn't, they don't (for any of the reasons given here, or any the GM thinks works better).

I personally would be extremely careful about plugging something stolen into anything that has access to my brain. I'd probably be so paranoid that I wouldn't trust my scanner programs to ferret out the dangerous ones and just not do it.
Grinder
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
hmm, data search, with the rating of the program squared as a target?

then slap on some mods if your after a version thats not infected with some tracer or trojan, the wrong one (badly labeld stuff is a pain in the ass), and maybe how traceable you want to be while getting it...

timeframe pr test: 1 day, 1 week, 1 month?

Let the timeframe depend on the rating.
hobgoblin
hmm, or maybe the mods should be to the timeframe as your avoiding a lot of the stuff thats out there, trying to sort the gold from the gravel.

ie, if your just going to download a rating one sniffer or something and dont care about trojans or similar, your test time is maybe 1 hour pr roll. basicly you should have found it and downloaded it within the hour.

but ones you start to dodge trojans, sorting out wrongly labeld files, and try to stay as unnoticed as you can, the time to locate said software skyrockets. and if your then looking for a rating 6 software your looking at a treshold of 36, with a time pr test of maybe 1 month.

even with high skills and good p2p software, it will most likely take you several months to find that software your looking for. quicker to just call that fixer you know and get it arranged.
SL James
QUOTE (Ankle Biter)
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 21 2006, 04:21 PM)

Hrm.

Guess the CIA types have them custom built then.

I still would rather use open scource progs than CIA ones, in case the CIA stuff has "WE AM LOVE AMERIKKA" subliminals in it or something....

I'd rather use the open source programs because the CIA's computer tech is mostly going to be outdated, proprietary crap.
Dissonance
McMurray's got my reservations with using p2p software right on the nose.

I'd be incredibly wary of plugging a program into my brain. Heck, as is, I'm a bit overzealous when it comes to scanning. When you introduce the concept of accidentally downloading a personafix or a straight up black hammer right into your brain? I'ma be very careful with what I download. Even if it'd be from a legitimate site.

Of course, I can't say that I'd be very sensible about things. I'd be running all of that scanware while in hot sim, because I am an incredibly impatient person and I like the idea of cranked up stimulus, as I am a very lonely internet person.
hobgoblin
so you would be running a high rating agent running a high rating analyze in the background at all times?
James McMurray
I would. And I still wouldn't plug anything into my brain that didn't come through appropriate channels.
Dissonance
I would. Only after I made someone else plug it in, first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012