Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: jamming
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
domino10
Question: if i got an area jammer and i threw it went of over drones as a t-bird was flying over head would the jammer jam the signal coming from the t-bird so that the security drones couldn't detect that we were there or is this a really stupid question ????? sarcastic.gif
DireRadiant
First thing to know is what does a jammer do?

"This device floods the airwaves with electromagnetic
jamming signals to block out wireless and radio
communication."

It blocks communications.

So if you use a jammer on the security drone the drone won't be able to tell anyone what's happening. The drone will probably notice the T Bird. That's a sensor test.
PBTHHHHT
The other thing, if the drone stops transmitting a signal back to its home base. Depending on security protocols, the operators will know something is up because their drones stopped transmitting. Sure they probably don't know that a T-bird is passing over the drones, but what other assets are the area to answer their general alert signal?
kzt
QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
The other thing, if the drone stops transmitting a signal back to its home base. Depending on security protocols, the operators will know something is up because their drones stopped transmitting. Sure they probably don't know that a T-bird is passing over the drones, but what other assets are the area to answer their general alert signal?

You need to get it pretty close to the drone to jam it's transmissions. And the drone will know what it didn't transmit and will send it later, once it's moved out of the jammer. Which would be one of the things that the pilot program knows how to do.

There are some serious weirdness in how they have jammers working, but I think that is what the rules would suggest.

Plus, if the person who didn't design their security wasn't a fool they will notice the noise jammer on their other drones radio signal scanners and be able to locate it. Which would cause a not quite so close drobe to look in that direction.
domino10
thanks for this... its just that at the mo we're breking into someones house to steal something and we know from additional info that there is no one in the house but the house has high security
kzt
QUOTE (domino10)
thanks for this... its just that at the mo we're breking into someones house to steal something and we know from additional info that there is no one in the house but the house has high security

It you need a flying tank to break into someone's house I'd say "high security" is an understatement. We always prefered to tap their phones/hack their home system and figure out how to get into the door by (for example) stealing a cleaning company truck and canceling the appointment on the companies computer, then showing up to clean (out) the house.

Of course the last time we tried that we ended up with multiple SWAT teams showing up, but it wasn't our fault. . .
domino10
thing is its completely empty and is like a multimillion pound mansion and we only have like three days to do the mission and we are already in our second i think...but i think instaed of jamming i might use my smoke drone (seeing as i haven't got a jamming device yet) Xb
laughingowl
If you got yourself a hacker..

Try to monitor long enough to get the ID from the base (surely drones check back in regularly).

When ready to make the trip, spoof an order to do a full diagnostics, or proceed at maximum speed -200 meter elevation (smash into ground), etc

The above would still trigger some alarms (same as jammer or smoke) but will leave them guess a few more seconds what might be going on.

IF empty (no people) and relying on drones purely.

I would probably also allow the hacker to spoof the 'watch commands'

Make sure two of the drones are doing a detailed search in opposite directions and slip between them.

MIGHT not even trigger any alarms if lucky.

(as the 'possible' alert (that the drones were looking for pans out, and since focusing on a tight area, never saw the Tbird slip through)
laughingowl
Another good possibility.

If you got access to a good enough electronic geek: would be working hard but try to forge IDs for whomever is responsible for security at the place.

If 'empty' and all autononmous systems then if you can fool them your legit should be able to get through.

Would be working on a timeline since the home office is surely going to realize something is up and trip some alarms.

But you might be able to get in and out, before the home office realizes it DOESNT have a security detail team there... and if not, hopefully you can Jam/override/cause ahvoc for them long enough to keep them from keeping the local systems from coming back active and you can get out of there before the get assets to the location.
domino10
cheers i need all the ideas i can get cause i'm runnin on friday and at the mo we are in the t bird flying towards the destination... we have an idea whos house we are breaking into outside of the game and it isn't our enemy.

any other ideas on diversions with anything at all so i can make a plan a relate it back to the team XD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012