Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What can magicians do while possessed?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Can they cast spells or conjure?
Jaid
i would say no.

they can pretty much give orders, and that's it.
Slithery D
What he said. Without channeling you order the spirit and are just along for the ride. If you tell it "kill those people" it does so in a method it chooses; you can no more micromanage what powers it uses on what enemies in what order than you could if you'd given the same order to any other spirit.
knasser
QUOTE (Slithery D)
What he said. Without channeling you order the spirit and are just along for the ride. If you tell it "kill those people" it does so in a method it chooses; you can no more micromanage what powers it uses on what enemies in what order than you could if you'd given the same order to any other spirit.

What he said too. Standard possession - neither skills nor magic. Channelling allows skills and though a very strict reading of the rules would say no magic, it seems fairly sure that the intention was you could.

When possessed (by a spirit you control), you can either leave the spirit to get on with things its own way or you can order it to use one of its powers as a service.
mfb
could a mage project, while possessed? never been clear on that.
Slithery D
I think not. However, he could project and then tell a spirit to possess his empty body. The spirit could run around causing havoc while you do astral overwatch or whatever. I'd probably say you couldn't return until the spirit left or you dismissed, it, however.
Jaid
hmmm.... good question.

i say why not? it's possible for your body to get possessed while you're projecting, is it not? so why wouldn't it be possible for you to astrally project while posessed?

certainly there's no balance reason to disallow it that i can think of.
Slithery D
Well answer this - would you allow astral projection while a hostile spirit is possessing you? The answer needs to be the same for both, as your mind/spirit should be equally helpless (or not) in either situation.
Jaid
i probably would, since you bring it up.
emo samurai
Would you allow a mystic adept to banish a possessing spirit?
Jaid
well, depending on how you meant that, yes or no.

if you mean as a general rule, absolutely. banishing has no limitation on types, you banish all spirits equally.

if you mean, would i allow a currently possessed mystic adept to banish a possessing spirit (and in particular, implied, the spirit that is possessing them), then no. unless of course they somehow manage to astrally project, and do it from outside their body.

though the more i think about it, the more i'm not sure i would allow someone to astrally project while possessed (though absolutely, if they project before being possessed, i would allow that).

anyways, certainly if a mystic adept were to enter the astral (there's only one way for them to do so, as well... and it can be used on unwilling targets, so it's entirely possible for someone to project using that method, provided the astral gateway is being used to bring them onto the astral.
emo samurai
I'd allow the magician to pit his magic + willpower against the spirit's Force + Willpower before projecting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012