Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun IRL again!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
ShadowDragon8685
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Hmmmmmmmmm. Loudspeakers on CCTV light poles. Where have we all heard that before..... Oh, right! Shadowrun, 4th Edition. smile.gif
The Grifter
Heh. Sounds good in theory. That is until some gangbanger knocks one of these off with a ballbat and wires the speaker into his car. Then ALL of them will get the same idea.

Still, it is funny in the similarity between it and the game concept. However, this isn't gonna cut down on crime at all. No more so than video cameras already do, which isn't much.

Camera Speaker Thing: I C WHAT U DID THAR

Thug: So the fuck what? *breaks!*
eidolon
Um...and first...and second....and third...

Panicbuttons, cameras all over the place, speakers, Lone Star sec drones all over the place...
Witness
good old Daily Mail. I guess it does sound a bit Big Brothery, until you bear in mind that it's only in troubled city centres, not in our homes, and we don't actually live in an autocratic dictatorship just yet, no matter what the newspapers say. So I don't have a problem with this. UK city centres badly need policing (by any means possible) given the current fondness for happy slapping and the like. At the end of the day, if it gets too much it'll be easier to take them down than it was to get them put up.
emo samurai
It's like scarlet letter punishment, but quicker.
Shrike30
I think the only thing this will accomplish is letting people know there's a human actually watching the CCTV camera feed that they're standing in. A lot of people do a lot of dumb shit in front of cameras because they assume it's just being recorded.
nezumi
QUOTE (Witness)
good old Daily Mail. I guess it does sound a bit Big Brothery, until you bear in mind that it's only in troubled city centres, not in our homes, and we don't actually live in an autocratic dictatorship just yet, no matter what the newspapers say. So I don't have a problem with this. UK city centres badly need policing (by any means possible) given the current fondness for happy slapping and the like. At the end of the day, if it gets too much it'll be easier to take them down than it was to get them put up.

It always starts in high-crime areas, doesn't it? Until they decide your backyard is a high-crime area. When someone is caught doing drugs a block away. Then there are cameras watching your sidewalks "for your protection". No thank you, I'd much rather protect myself using means I can control against people who, ultimately, are fairly simplistic in regards to their own needs and means.

The question is quickly becoming not 'how can we prevent a pervasive and controlling government', but 'how can we survive under one?'
Shrike30
QUOTE (nezumi)
Then there are cameras watching your sidewalks "for your protection". No thank you, I'd much rather protect myself using means I can control against people who, ultimately, are fairly simplistic in regards to their own needs and means.

Until they make slingshots or air rifles illegal, cameras are a means you can control. ork.gif
Witness
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (Witness @ Sep 19 2006, 12:04 PM)

It always starts in high-crime areas, doesn't it? Until they decide your backyard is a high-crime area. When someone is caught doing drugs a block away. Then there are cameras watching your sidewalks "for your protection". No thank you, I'd much rather protect myself using means I can control against people who, ultimately, are fairly simplistic in regards to their own needs and means.

The question is quickly becoming not 'how can we prevent a pervasive and controlling government', but 'how can we survive under one?'

I'd rather have cameras everywhere than guns everywhere, personally.
Shrike30
We've got a couple discussions on gun and weapon law going on within the last few days, guys. Bump 'em if you please nyahnyah.gif
Witness
I retract. wink.gif
will_rj
QUOTE (Shrike30)
We've got a couple discussions on gun and weapon law going on within the last few days, guys. Bump 'em if you please nyahnyah.gif

Should be "shrike them if you please" nyahnyah.gif

(Ok, that was unnecessary nitpicking, sorry)
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Shrike30)
Until they make slingshots or air rifles illegal,

They are illegal in some areas in the US.

grinbig.gif

Certainly shooting out cameras is illegal, as tempting as it may be (and I HAVE been tempted).
Shrike30
QUOTE (will_rj @ Sep 19 2006, 01:00 PM)
Should be "shrike them if you please" nyahnyah.gif

grinbig.gif

QUOTE (nezumi)
Certainly shooting out cameras is illegal, as tempting as it may be (and I HAVE been tempted).

It is? Dang. Nevermind, then.
Teux
My first reaction was... well, we finally hit Alan Moore's vision of 1998.

England Prevails!
Dranem
There are some places where I wonder if the cameras are even recording a signal. In larger bus shelters there is a camera monitoring it. Yet the shelter is still full of grafitti, people smoking (despite the no smoking signs) and toking it up in the bus shelter with no repurcussions that I have ever seen.

Putting a speaker system in these might make some of these morons realize that the camera isn't a dud.
hyzmarca
I wonder if these cameras have microphones. It isn't any fun if the camera operater can't here the vulgarities that you are spewing at the camera and respond in kind.
mattness pl
You're looking for shadowrunners IRL?
Just google "PMC" wink.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
I wonder if these cameras have microphones. It isn't any fun if the camera operater can't here the vulgarities that you are spewing at the camera and respond in kind.

That's why God invented the bird.
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (nezumi)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Sep 20 2006, 01:05 AM)

That's why God invented the bird.

[nitpick]Actually, it was the English.[/nitpick]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012