Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which piece of 'ware would you buy?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
emo samurai
Personally, if there were no magic or essence loss, I'd go with synaptics. Those would r0sx0rz.
Kagetenshi
Brainware/VCR in no particular order, then senseware. Datajack would be high on my list, but VCR requires it, so I don't have to choose smile.gif

~J
eidolon
Datajack, if going off the list and picking one.

"Lots of shit" if we're not.
Thanee
That one's easy... Datajack.

Bye
Thanee
Konsaki
I vote none, cause I would be a mage or TM. cool.gif
eidolon
Good point.
Kyoto Kid
..five that are not on the list come to mind:

Enhanced Articulation - great cure for my arthritis

Mnemonic Enhancement - Would be a real help for tracking jobs & tasks at work, & learning languages when travelling.

Standard Headware Radio - Could listen to tunes & keep up on sports scores all day without the boss knowing it.

Sleep Regulator - excellent for coping with those weekend marathon gaming sessions.

Vision enhancement (Retinal Mods) - Low Light, standard vision mag would be a real bonus.
mmu1
I'd get something that'd allow me to control my metabolism, and drop down to an ideal weight. Also, get some bioware that'd control inflammatory response and get rid of my allergies. (edit: and a sleep regulator - that'd kick ass)

Then I'd get my joints fixed up (a couple of replacement ligaments for my left shoulder and right knee, and enhanced articulation), followed by a muscle toner of some sort to get rid of neck and back pain.

Finally, get my eyes fixed to 20/20 vision.

At that point, maybe I'd start thinking of getting something just for the fun of it... like an encephalon or some other kind of brain-boosting 'ware, followed by something to enhance agility, coordination, and reaction time.
emo samurai
I said no essence loss, so I'd be a perfect Rifts character with magic and tech.
Lagomorph
I voted for the Datajack, wired would be fun, but I think it'd get boring eventually.

Enhanced articulation would be a close second, along with sleep regulator.
Wounded Ronin
I'd consider getting cybereyes just because I'm near sighted.

That being said, psychologically I might not want to have my natural eyes ripped out.
Austere Emancipator
You put up none of the really interesting ones, ie. Cerebral Boosters, Mnemonic Enhancers, Sleep Regulators, Encephalons and Math SPUs, Transducers, and Skillwires. Of the choices in the poll, the Datajack is the only one I'd be interested in -- assuming everything went SR, it'd be of marginal utility in the real world.
Wired Reflexes and Synaptic Acc. would probably be my first piece of 'ware followed by a datajack, sleep regulator, toner and augmentation and enhanced articulation. Maybe a smartlink too. Hopefully the army would pay for it smile.gif
Scorpion
Cybereyes with Displaylink, LowLight, IR, Zoom and the usual cosmetic modifications coupled with some Headware-memory, Math-SPU and a Datajack (not much fun in having Headwarememory + HUD without being able to supply them with data biggrin.gif).
Last but not least a sleep regulator might come in handy ...
Shrike30
If we went all SR tomorrow, I could save up to get a datajack or just use 'trodes.

Now, Tailored Pheromones, those are a different story...
venenum
Bone enhancements for me. They would be good for contact sports like Jui jitsu. Really hard to breack your arm when its is as hard as steel.
Bodak
Another poll brought to you by emo samurai smile.gif
Tanka
Only one? Only?

Damn. There goes my plans for chrome-ing out.

Datajack it is.

If multiple... Oh, man. More Human Than Human. (Or should it be Less Human?)
warrior_allanon
i had to pick the VCR, i would rather have picked something like a smartlink but of those listed i had to go with the VCR.
emo samurai
Shit, forgot about that...
JongWK
Enhanced Articulation.
Arethusa
Full cyborg, Kuze/Batou style.
Critias
Hello? Smartlink?
ShadowDragon
WHY get a datajack when trodes do the same thing?? You guys are in the pre-SR4 mindset.

I would get a sleep regulator if I had to choose one. Next I would get pheremones and cerebral boosters. The combat things such as muscle toners and wired wouldn't really help me considering I don't ever get into combat situations outside of martial arts class.
Grinder
Cybereyes. Getting rid of my glasses and get low light vision as a bonus smile.gif
Oracle
The pheromones. biggrin.gif The possibilities are endless.
Firewall
If I could only have one, ever, it would be the datajack. If it was one free and you pay for the next, pheromones... Datajacks are cheap, + to cha is priceless...
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
WHY get a datajack when trodes do the same thing?? You guys are in the pre-SR4 mindset.

And why get either when you could get a +5 Broadsword of Telepathy? You're in the non-D&D mindset.

~J
Sicarius
but if you had muscle augmentation and wired reflexes you might get in more combat situations. I know I would. cyber.gif
nezumi
If I *HAD* to choose, and assuming the ware came with all the appropriate stuff to make it useful (a jack with my dell laptop wouldn't be much use), I'd have to go with the datajack first, just because, being a computer geek, that's the one that would get the most use.

I'd love to get cyber eyes, a cyber limb and a datajack, though. I think I'd be completely happy with just those three (not being a combat monster or anything, I don't really need all the speed enhancements).

The one thing I think your list needs, since most people will find non-combat cyber more useful than combat cyber, is the Mr. Studd implant (or does that fall under 'hydraulics'?)
Dog
Pheremones are tempting; they seem to have the most practical application in my life. But I have to go with the eyes. I've missed too many good job opportunities because of my vision.
DragginSPADE
Vehicle Control Rig. It'd be pretty much required in my line of duty.
Squinky
I picked muscle augmentation. If I got to pick more, It would be things like synthacardium, Bonedensity, Muscle Toner and Augmentation, and skillwires. I do work that involves a lot of labor, and that set up would make my life super easy.
xizor
QUOTE (nezumi)
The one thing I think your list needs, since most people will find non-combat cyber more useful than combat cyber, is the Mr. Studd implant (or does that fall under 'hydraulics'?)

That falls under Applied hydraulics. grinbig.gif

I picked cybereyes.

there is nothing that i would enjoy more that to be able to see sound (via ultrasound), see in the dark, and not have to have my eyes open to read a book.

fast reflexes are great, but they are not really that useful, besides catching things before they break on the floor.

Datajacks are replicated fairly well by trode nets, and I don't want that close a connection to my computer anyway.

Rastus
I picked cybereyes, because my near-sighted vision can be a pain in the ass at times. Although you must admit that cybereyes can't be beat in the long run, they never go out of style, never become obsolete, and can always be modified as the years go by.

A datajack would be my second choice, but as some have already stated, they've been made almost obsolete and unneccisary. Thats technology progression for you.

Lastly, I'd pick wired reflexes or something like it. I don't know just how much I'd use it, but it'd still be fun as hell to go through the day in bullet time. spin.gif
emo samurai
I like the idea of being able to think a bajillion times faster than normal with synaptics.
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (emo samurai)
I like the idea of being able to think a bajillion times faster than normal with synaptics.

Those don't improve your mental abilities, they improve reaction times.
Vaevictis
Either encephalon or math coprocessor (3); maybe cerebral booster (2).
Gabriel (Argus #2323)
Mman... cybereyes can be hacked. Frag that, gimme biological iniative acceleration. Make me fast as greased poop.
knasser
QUOTE (Vaevictis @ Sep 24 2006, 03:34 AM)
Either encephalon or math coprocessor (3); maybe cerebral booster (2).

Do you ever get frustrated having to deal with idiots, or despair because of the lack of intelligence displayed by your species in general? Do you really want to make that situation worse? wink.gif
Vaevictis
QUOTE (knasser @ Sep 24 2006, 07:45 AM)
Do you ever get frustrated having to deal with idiots, or despair because of the lack of intelligence displayed by your species in general? Do you really want to make that situation worse? wink.gif

It'd be worth it to look at a seriously complicated math problem and be able to offload it to the math co-processor and not have to really worry about it.

I forgot to add the mnemonic enhancer to that list, too. Ironically, if I had a mnemonic enhancer, I bet I wouldn't have forgotten wink.gif
Suitcase Murphy
QUOTE (Vaevictis)
It'd be worth it to look at a seriously complicated math problem and be able to offload it to the math co-processor and not have to really worry about it.

You can just carry an 89 if you want to be able to do that, but then you miss the fun of doing math.

I said vehicle control rig. It'd be sweet.
Mistwalker
I went with synactic accelerators. Cause if we went SR tomorrow, I figure I would need the extra speed just to stay alive.

Next would be sleep regulator, followed by a whole lot.
smile.gif
Fix-it
Sleep Regulator. Followed by loaded out eyes. (Low light, IR, Magnifacation, and flare comp.) and a math coP.

wait... are we talking 3rd ed or 4th here?
NightmareX
Datajack, definitely (and/or cranial cyberdeck/commlink depending). Feeds my online addiction, enables fun with computers, and easy on the Essence all in one package (gotta perserve my Magic att y'know) smokin.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (eidolon)
Datajack, if going off the list and picking one.

"Lots of shit" if we're not.

Pretty much what eidolon said. From the list, Datajack.

Off the list, lots of brainware and bioware.
hobgoblin
i picked datajack on the list, but cybereyes, muscle agg., maybe wired, and some others are allso tempting.
toturi
Enhanced artwinkulation but... alas not on the list.
Grinder
QUOTE (Oracle)
The pheromones. biggrin.gif The possibilities are endless.

The AXE-spots come to my mind... cool.gif
DireRadiant
VCR... while jumped in you can access the matrix anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012