Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Counterspelling
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
zeb.hillard
So, after running several sessions of Shadowrun, the inevitable occurred last game. They ran into a Hermetic Mage and he absolutely pwn3d them with Stunballs.

I got to thinking. Is it worth beginning play as a Mystic Adept just so you gain access to the Counterspelling and Banishing abilities, regardless of your actual Magic level?
Thanee
No, because when your Magic reaches 0 and you burn out you cannot use those skills anymore. Besides, it doesn't stack with your team mage's Counterspelling, anyways, AFAIK.

Bye
Thanee
zeb.hillard
I don't believe that someone has to surpass both your Team Mage and your Counterspelling to get the shot off...but the group I'm GMing for is big into Smoke, vision obstruction, and multi-pronged assaults. For those moments when the Beef is out of sight of the mage (Which they don't even have), is it worth it?
Aaron
QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 21 2006, 05:15 PM)
Besides, it doesn't stack with your team mage's Counterspelling, anyways, AFAIK.

Not entirely true. It might not stack with the team mage's Counterspelling. Multiple sources of spell defense act using the teamwork rules, which I believe are on page 59 (or so, although if I got it right I may need a nerd intervention).
lorechaser
It's kind of a good idea.

If you're not planning to get cyberwear, it's worth it. If you're only planning to get 3 or so essence worth, and spending 50 points is a fair trade (4 magic, 10 mystic) it can be worth it.

I've found that for a normal character, it isn't worth it. However, if you're playing an adept, it's worth the 15 points or one less power point to get a mystic with magic 1. If you're playing a pure strain (no cyber), then yeah, 20 points is worth it.
Rotbart van Dainig
Better get the Magic Resistance Quality.
kzt
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Better get the Magic Resistance Quality.

It depends on whether you expect to have friendly mage, as that extra -4 for his spells to effect you can sort of suck when you are already bleeding to death. One point of magic and a skill of 6 gives you -6 to hostile spells without the bad affects. But it does cost more.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (kzt)
It depends on whether you expect to have friendly mage, as that extra -4 for his spells to effect you can sort of suck when you are already bleeding to death.

Oh, it's even worse - unless the mage has special health spells that work on unwilling targets, it doesn't work at all.
But since first aid is as good as magic...
kzt
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Oh, it's even worse - unless the mage has special health spells that work on unwilling targets, it doesn't work at all.
But since first aid is as good as magic...

Nope, heal isn't voluntary. Several others in the group are, but not heal. Why, I have no idea. It's odd that they define a marker for voluntary target spells on page 197, then never use it.
Rotbart van Dainig
That's interesting, indeed...
Slithery D
Stabilize and Awaken are the only other beneficial Health spells I could find that aren't voluntary. Clearly they're worried about failed suicides...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012