Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tile Based Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Drraagh
Last night, I was playing Betrayal at the House on the Hill which is basically a survival horror game by WotC. And I just got thinking about how that might work with a TT RPG. I mean, there's the whole Hero Clix (which I've never played), and the Mechwarrior TT stuff as well. So, basically, just finding tile sets that work for the sort of game that you're running is the main issue and that'll give your game a lot of variety, if you can GM on the fly. You've got visual representation of cover and distance and all that, but unless you lay the tiles down in accordance with your map, you're running blind basically doing things like the old D&D Random Encounter Tables.

I used a few of my old TT module maps from other games, like a Star Wars D20 map for a game using the little tokens they had for minatures but after a while, a little variety from modules is nice. Anyone got any suggestions on what might make some good options?
Frag-o Delux
Many people use minis on dry erase boards, or hex map mats.
Drraagh
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Many people use minis on dry erase boards, or dry erase hex map mats.

I have those dry erase maps, but what I'm looking for is variety. Basically like a random map generator in video games so that the dungeon is different on the next replay. That way, the system (such as flipping tiles) determines how the complex looks, rather than me playing with a mapping program to do it.
Frag-o Delux
I just draw on the map, making what I want. Otherwise youll be buying tons of maps that will almost never fit what you want.

But you could get the old Sprawl Sites book for maps to draw on your hex mats or find the maps that were in the old DMZ boxed set.

There are precasted mini mazes for miniature games, but they are resin and pretty exspensive.

EDIT: Ill see if I can find the sites I use to visit for that stuff. This computer doesnt have the links.

EDIT2: Ok, I just re-read your post, it seems you are looking for software. I dont know of any software that randomly draws maps.
Drraagh
I'm /not/ looking for software. I know where I can find software to do that. What I am looking for is this but done for Shadowrun. You take a tile and connect it to the area as it is. Yes, I'm not expecting it to fit an image I have in my head, if I wanted to do that, I would just use a map. What I want this to be is like flipping cards in a deck, I don't know what's coming next. The next card in the group could be a corner, it could be a hallway, perhaps it leads them to a dead end. That way, it makes things a little more variable.

Sort of like the dice rolling that they had designed to create the matrix sites. You roll a 1, and it's an SPU, then from an SPU, you roll a 4 and it's an I/O node. Then from that, you roll a 5, which is the CPU. And so on so forth.
Frag-o Delux
Microtactix might have somethig youll like.

They are PDF maps that you print out with different things on them. I suppose you could just print the stuff out and cut the tiles to your preffered size.
ronin3338
Heroclix... you can get maps seperately, and some of the figs (cops, cons, etc.) can be used in your game.

Most of the tiles that you can buy pre-made or print off are going to be fantasy, but there are some sewer ones that would work.
If you have Kazaa or something like that, look for "tiles" or "floor tiles"
Also, Google search for those terms, and you can find some as well. Oh yeah, MicroTactix has some stuff that works, especially if you want to build up to 3D. Look for Cityscapes, it lets you print things like the HeroClix maps.

Edit: Curse you Frag-o, and your superior typing skills! nyahnyah.gif

Edit 2: Warhammer Quest did the "card flipping" thing to make a random dungeon, but I have'nt seen that for anything other than fantasy. Besides, most urban settings won't be random layouts.
Also, look for Urban War minis, they have some cool "Shadowrunny" stuff.
Firewall
QUOTE (Drraagh)
What I am looking for is this but done for Shadowrun.

While it is not perfect, the old Space Hulk tiles were good for corridors. Space Hulk seems to be out of print but Fantasy Flight Games have a game called Doom (as in the PC game but table-top) which is so similar it must be borderline copyright infringement.

Other than that, Twilight makes a whole range of tile-based games like Zombies and When Darkness Comes which are modern-day environments.
Frag-o Delux
Microtactix does have sewer and street maps you could make cards from. They also have card based industrial stuff an card based NPC sets.

Oh and I dont superior typing skills, just a lot of links to gaming sites and other useless links saved. I just have to be on the right computer to find them quickly or google the right words. smile.gif Even wonder how the monolith at he end of Space Odessy 2 compares to Darth Vaders Super Star Destroy size wise? I have a site link that has visual aids. smile.gif
Drraagh
I do agree that for urban environments, it might not work for a cityscape, but at the same time, let's say you're going exploring in the Warrens, it is quite possible to not know what is around the next corner. Or perhaps in the bowels of the sewers as you sneak under a border in Denver. Or maybe it's a secret corporate facility; I mean in games like UFO or Evil Genius, all the base stuff was tile based and sometimes didn't quite make sense. It's just as an option for variety, maybe not used very much.
ronin3338
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
Even wonder how the monolith at he end of Space Odessy 2 compares to Darth Vaders Super Star Destroy size wise? I have a site link that has visual aids. smile.gif

You're talking about the one where you can move the stuff around to see them next to each other, that covers all kinds of ships and things?

Love that site. biggrin.gif

Back to Topic:

Yeah, there is some room for randomness, and remember, there is a d6 that you can use to generate random corridor directions as well.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Drraagh)
I do agree that for urban environments, it might not work for a cityscape, but at the same time, let's say you're going exploring in the Warrens, it is quite possible to not know what is around the next corner. Or perhaps in the bowels of the sewers as you sneak under a border in Denver. Or maybe it's a secret corporate facility; I mean in games like UFO or Evil Genius, all the base stuff was tile based and sometimes didn't quite make sense. It's just as an option for variety, maybe not used very much.

I dont think anyone is calling your desire to randomize your maps silly or anything. In fact I think everyone so far has been trying to help you find what you are looking for.

Being a mini games player I have tons of stuff laying around that my group and I have built. It is fun to have 3d and 2d maps to have your minis on while playing. Our GM is a sort of control freak so all his maps are drawn up weeks ahead of time so we dont have many random encounter maps.

And yeah Ronin thats the site. I like comparing the Death Star to the moon. smile.gif
ronin3338
For those that don't know...
Starhip Dimensions

Handy for lots of things...

Again, back to topic:

Frag-o's right, and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was coming down on your idea. Like you pointed out, it just won't happen often...

Although, in the Renraku Shutdown, something like that would have really helped run it to preserve the "we have no idae what's going on" atmosphere... kind of like that movie "The Cube"
Drraagh
I wasn't trying to make it seem like people were coming down on my idea. It's just I have a few ideas on situations where things could be so random that it would be more fun that no one knows what is going on. The Cube is one example of that definately.
Wounded Ronin
A board game setup might only be good for a SWAT style raid on a residence or something. I think you'd need really small minis, like on the scale of Warhammer Epic, to conduct a battle out in the wilderness or over many city blocks.

That being said, it would be hardcore awesome to run such a game. You could role-play by saying your character is making snarky Full Metal Jacket style comments while rolling your dice.
Roadspike
I should note that WizKids made a product called "Mage Knight Dungeon Tiles" (http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mkdungeons/article.asp?cid=37731&frame=products) which work quite nicely for building out floorplans/sewers. The tiles are large enough to fit most commonly available miniatures (somewhere slightly larger than an in and a half across), and fit together on a one-to-one basis for quite good customizability.
eidolon
It might not be perfect, but if you have a copy of the game Zombies!!! (from Twilight Creations), it has city tiles.

Not great by any means, but they might help you hash out your ideas.
Firewall
QUOTE (eidolon)
It might not be perfect, but if you have a copy of the game Zombies!!! (from Twilight Creations), it has city tiles.

Not great by any means, but they might help you hash out your ideas.

Twilight makes a whole range of tile-based games like Zombies and When Darkness Comes which are modern-day environments.
eidolon
OMG, I repeated something???!!!!1111oneoneone

wink.gif
Firewall
Meh, I just take it as a compliment. Obviously, you esteem my opinion so highly that you rush to second my suggestion and thereby further validate my answer.

Either that or you are like me and always forget to check the earlier posts...
eidolon
Latter. Missed it in the scan. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012