Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enchanting and reduced bonding costs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
6thDragon
Did anyone else notice the new rules for enchanting doesn't have the old aspect of reducing the bonding costs. I remember back in the day I had a player that would insist on enchanting something like force 8 power/weapon foci and get the bonding modifier down to x1. While I'm glad they took that element out, I liked the concept over all. However, I also noticed they also added a part of the enchanting process that requires the enchanter to pay one karma upon completion of the foci. Under these rules who would ever enchant their own foci? What were the designers thinking? Has anyone toyed with any house rules to make things like they were or is everyone else still digesting the new rules too?
Jaid
as i recall, the old way, the only bonding cost that was reduced was the first one. which had to be done by the creator of the focus. so that's pretty much identical, except it's actually better from the perspective of the person making the focus if they want to sell it.
Slithery D
QUOTE (6thDragon)
However, I also noticed they also added a part of the enchanting process that requires the enchanter to pay one karma upon completion of the foci. Under these rules who would ever enchant their own foci?

eek.gif

You think the cost on one extra karma point over the bonding cost will completely destroy the incentive to make your own?

Someone has to make them. Do you want to spend the nuyen to pay someone or the time to do it yourself? (And karma/BP for Enchanting skill, admittedly.) Do you need a custom design rather than whatever shape/design/Force/type they've got on the shelf at the moment?

I'll admit none of these are overpowering reasons, but then what sense does it make for every magician to want to learn enchanting so he can get karma free toys that seriously reduce the incentive to improve skills, Magic, and initiate grade the hard way?

Personally, I'm pissed that Armorer skill won't let me make a rocket launcher out of tin foil in ten minutes for ten nuyen. MacGyver is a perfectly valid character archetype, damnit!!!
Ancient History
QUOTE (6thDragon)
However, I also noticed they also added a part of the enchanting process that requires the enchanter to pay one karma upon completion of the foci.  Under these rules who would ever enchant their own foci?  What were the designers thinking? 

It was a balance issue. If you want to make a living selling foci, you're not going to afford to electroplate every one in orichalcum or give up a hefty chunk of karma to bond the focus (which was required in previous editions). This is true for shadowrunners as well as enchanters and talismongers: if you want to generate some capital by crafting a focus, would you want to pay the full karma cost for a couple thousand nuyen?

Has anyone toyed with any house rules to make things like they were or is everyone else still digesting the new rules too?

As a house-rule, however, you could always have the person who is going to bond the focus present at the end of the enchanting ritual and let them pay the Karma cost (which works if you're selling a focus); or subtract 1 Karma from the bonding cost of the focus for the enchanter (which works if you're making the focus for yourself).
Jaid
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Personally, I'm pissed that Armorer skill won't let me make a rocket launcher out of tin foil in ten minutes for ten nuyen. MacGyver is a perfectly valid character archetype, damnit!!!

seriously, you'd at least need some kind of fuel as well.

matches would work... provided you're not looking for serious ordinance that is (i've actually tried it... horribly innacurate, but you can indeed wrap match heads in tinfoil, apply heat, and they will be launched by rocket propulsion. innacurate and not capable of packing much of a punch, but a rocket nonetheless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012