Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4 and Gear
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MadDogMaddux
It seems to me that there's some significant limitations to the gear available in SR4. I've already got players requesting better/different gear and I'm not really sure how to go about creating it (haven't found any guidelines).

Can I find gear out of the SR3 stuff and appropriate it, or are the systems too widely divergeant? I'm totally new to the Shadowrun game-system, used to Battletech where I have scads of gear at my disposal, so the limitations are keenly felt both by myself and the players for the game I'm about to run.

Comments or thoughts?
Dranem
I've mostly converted guns from 3rd to 4th, seeing as they're the easiest. I've also - along with a few people here on dumpshock - converted Edges and Flaws.

Most cyber I'm not willing to dig too far into, cause a lot of ware was made obsolete by the new rules and Matrix systems....
Jaid
well, augmentation and unwired will be coming out sometime. both of those should have more cool toys for you.

that being said, there's a thread stickied to the top of the forums, entitled "links to all the conversions in this forum"

a few of the links therein are gear related. perhaps those will help you in the wait for more toys.
toturi
You could wait for the gear books, but I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you.

You could always house rule the gear in question and when it comes out in the books, you can ret-con it.
The Jopp
The NPC contacts have several references in them to pistols that does not exist in the main book so hopefully they will fix that.
Dranem
The NPC Contacts also mention Talismongers which wasn't available in the main book either...
cybertrucker
I thought the main book had ALOT of cool gear in it. Sure more will come out in time but dang your players must be getting paid way to much if they are already not happy with whats available, just my 2 cents i guess. If you want new gear though just be creative. I have already created a new magic weapon focus that was cursed for my group. I have been also thinking of creating a resonator focus sort of a focus for technomancers. Still debating on this.
JongWK
Maddux: Arsenal is scheduled for this year. It'll have guns, toys, drones, vehicles and advanced combat rules.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (toturi)
You could wait for the gear books, but I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you.

You could always house rule the gear in question and when it comes out in the books, you can ret-con it.

...this is one of the reasons I'm sticking with SR3 for the time being. Have too much material worked into my next two campaign arcs (including a vriety of campaign specific items) & don't feel like waiting another year or two for SR4 to play catch up.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (The Jopp)
The NPC contacts have several references in them to pistols that does not exist in the main book so hopefully they will fix that.

...and good ol' FormFit (TT Ghosts in "Freinds & Foes")

Never ever leave home without your armoured long johns.
lorechaser
There's the flip side argument that a small equipment list means that it's far less likely your PCs will have massive firepower simply by judicious shopping. More stuff == more stuff to be broken, and possibly more power creep.

Not that SR3 had that. I'm sure no one has examples of PCs that took items that came out later in the game and made the GM cringe. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (lorechaser)
There's the flip side argument that a small equipment list means that it's far less likely your PCs will have massive firepower simply by judicious shopping.  More stuff == more stuff to be broken, and possibly more power creep.

Not that SR3 had that.  I'm sure no one has examples of PCs that took items that came out later in the game and made the GM cringe.  wink.gif

...never was an issue, for as the GM, I had access all the fun new toys as well. On top of it, availability (as well as cost) didn't really matter when equipping my NPCs which allowed me to stay ahead of the PCs.

On the other hand, it was keeping up with the "mana curve" which was the real headache.
ShadowDragon
What gear are you looking to add Maddog?? The SR4 book has TONS. My players have actually complained that there's too much during character creation.

Well with a couple exceptions. Vehicles are sorely lacking, and I've created new ones or allowed players to make up theirown. I've also made a combat hammer, but just gave it the same stats as a monosword. Making new stuff isn't that tough.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Well with a couple exceptions. Vehicles are sorely lacking, and I've created new ones or allowed players to make up their own.

... I "kind of" designed a F-350 4x4 club cab pickup (with shell) for my character Hannah but pretty much for colour purposes only (can't believe they didn't include at least one basic Pickup model). Yeah, it's kind of hacked, using the handling attribute of a Limousine and acceleration & top end of the 4 door sedan. As to seating/cargo capacity, it basically seats up to five in the cab (F/R bench) & can carry about 1/4 of what the Bulldog Van does.

To really make this work however, a better framework for vehicle design and customisation, (similar to Rigger 3) is definitely needed (which I hope will be covered in Arsenal).
MadDogMaddux
Main thing that spawned this for me was my Wheel Man's complaints of the dearth of decent vehicles to choose from.

He's whipping up a character with a Formula 1 (or maybe FX) background who was kicked out when he was descovered to be an Adept using Adept powers to give him an edge.

So I'd LIKE to give him some vehicle options more than what's in the book.
lorechaser
Vehicles are indeed the main place that the book falls down. I think there are a few conversions in the sticky, though.
MadDogMaddux
I saw vehicles listed in the stickied post - but the link is all about guns. nyahnyah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012