Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sorcery: Range and Duration
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
laughingowl
Hmm looking at the BBB, nothing says that range is only during the 'casting.

Do you have to maintain the proper range while sustaining?!

This certainly limits some use, but also seems to make sense.

Nothing I can find under range or sustaining say that you HAVE to.. but then again nothing says you don't.

The closest I can find is for 'ongoing effects' and AE spells. Mentioning they can be 'moved' as a complex action as long as they remain in LOS.... (impliues LOS is still needed).

So does a doctor need to keep his hands on a patient while 'healing' them, limiting (but not unreasonable if you want to limit).

Likewise do you have to keep the Sammy in LOS to keep armor on him?

Now this really hurts the 'decrease attribute' spells as they are 'combat' style AND require touch... ouch.

Dont think it is the 'intent'

but reading the rules, I cant find anything that says you can 'increase' the range while sustaining (nor what if any that range would be).

The one possible 'out' to avoid is page 195 (pdf 1.3) says:

"Range: All spells have a range at which they can be CAST...."

Now that implies the actual casting, NOT sustaining.

Nothing under sustaining though mentions 'increasing' the range.

Can you sustain out of LOS?
Can you sustain behind a ward?
Can you sustain in a metaplane (spirit?)

What is peoples house rules/clarifications?

Peace
ShadowDragon
Hmm I haven't really thought about it. I've taken the DnD approach in that you don't need LOS while sustaining - only during the casting. It would get really annoying otherwise.

There's already rules for pushing a sustained spell through a ward.

I don't see how sustaining in metaplanes will ever come up in my game, so I'm not going to worry about it.
Cold-Dragon
Well, it has always been the common that as long as you can sustain it, you can keep it there so long as you didn't let go, even when out of sight, moving away, etc. It doesn't matter with some spells since it helps to know what is going on to manipulate them, and even then, I'm not sure you can move a sustained spell from afar without having LOS to direct it (even through a video broadcast or whatever).

I know you can sustain things through the metaplanes, since spirits are allowed to do it all the time. I don't know why you could sustain a spell through a barrier (if the barrier comes into play after) but my theory would be that since you can't place a barrier through another magical barrier, the 'link' that supplies the sustaining effect might qualify as a mini barrier, thus piercing any such attempts.

Just a theory, of course.
Konsaki
You could always use the range table for Signal strength that TMs use.
Magic 6 / 2 = 3 = 400m range

Quick way to get a range on your spellcasting. Look for the table in the matrix section.
fistandantilus4.0
wether it's right or not, we've always done that a touch spell has to have the touch sustained as well. Like a healing spell for example. But any LOS , once it's cast, can move beyond that. Nothing really to support that. Writing it out, doesn't even make much sense just looking at it. It's jsut the way we like it.
Cold-Dragon
Well, being healing is a Permanency spell, and not a sustain, it might not follow the rules of sustaining spells, eh? wink.gif

You have to 'sustain' a permanency spell until its effects are complete, otherwise you don't get results. That's a different situation than a sustaining spell, which is ultimately already in effect and needs to be held to keep working.
laughingowl
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
Hmm I haven't really thought about it. I've taken the DnD approach in that you don't need LOS while sustaining - only during the casting. It would get really annoying otherwise.

There's already rules for pushing a sustained spell through a ward.

I don't see how sustaining in metaplanes will ever come up in my game, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Shadowdragon:

WHile the rules are giving for going through a ward (not by you) that you attempt to go through.

Does this apply if the 'sustaining' mage (NOT the target) goes through the ward......

(or what if the 'target' goes through a ward, (his lodge) but the sustaining mage is outside the ward)

Going from memory (and perhaps it was house rules).

SR3 Spell defense, needed LOS to establish but had a moderate range it could 'extend' past LOS once 'on the person' (IIRC Magicx10m or so). (though as mentions this could have been house/web rule we used).

Now SR4 specifically requires LOS for spell defense (well counterspelling).... which is what prompted the whole sustaining question does it require LOS.

I know you can sustain things through the metaplanes, since spirits are allowed to do it all the time. I don't know why you could sustain a spell through a barrier (if the barrier comes into play after) but my theory would be that since you can't place a barrier through another magical barrier, the 'link' that supplies the sustaining effect might qualify as a mini barrier, thus piercing any such attempts.

Metaplanes dont think likely will be an issue. the bigger question is LOS.... Our (and this point would really have to read books to see if house rule or SR3 RAW) sustaining was not LOS but Maigc * 10m range (same for spell defense (once estalbihed not setting up).

Well with Counterseplling (sr4 spell defense) being LOS ONLY, that raised the question on sustaining.... Can you armor/deflect the sammy, then have him jump around the corner?

Hmm Havent gone through SM yet (so it might say they can) but where in BBB does it mention that spirits can maintain from metaplanes.

Spell Sustaining: Since your are talking combat turns (Force turns per service) it seems unlikely that they spirit could go to the metaplanes whiel sustaining the spell, more importnatly nothing says they CAN.

Spell Binding: Again nothing says they spirit can go elsewhere and IMO the interrpertation that it uses the spirits life force to power the spell and all services are gone when released, pretty much implies your are hardwiring the spirit to the spell... 'Trapping' it in the spell itself. so the spirit is always 'there' and couldnt go anyplace else (and if not released before it runs out of energy is gone forever).

Don't see anything SR4 that implies a spirit could sustain a spelll from the meta-planes (unless SM gives it but havent really gone through SM yet).
Cold-Dragon
I read it somewhere in one of the books (or maybe from something someone stated here, which is possible) that a spirit could sustain a spell and just go back to his plane on standby without a problem. I know they can do a spell or power an sustain it off the material plane, at least. I could have misread that part to include going into a metaplane 'standby'.

And it takes a spirit a mere instant to return to his home plane, thank you very much. nyahnyah.gif Time is hardly an issue in that case. That, I read in SM.

We'll see what happens. Someone will either notice, or I'll find it/not find it next time I'm through the book.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
Well, being healing is a Permanency spell, and not a sustain, it might not follow the rules of sustaining spells, eh? wink.gif

I was referring to sustaining the spell until it becomes permanent, and whether or not touch would be required the entire time, or just for the initial casting.
Cold-Dragon
healing has always been concluded as 'laying of hands', and I have never seen any healing example where you tap a person to start the spell, then run off while they heal. They're always in the middle of the battlefield, risking life and limb to finishing the spell while they're touching the person. I would say it's definitely a 'keep contact' sort of thing as far as a healing spell goes.

Now a increase/decrease attribute spell is a better example of a touch, sustaining spell to argue.
Mistwalker
decrease attribute is one that I would want to be LOS. Drop logic to 0 on a sam, and he won't be firing at you, but to have to get into melee range of him? no thanks.
ShadowDragon
SR3 Spell defense, needed LOS to establish but had a moderate range it could 'extend' past LOS once 'on the person' (IIRC Magicx10m or so). (though as mentions this could have been house/web rule we used).

That's a good idea - I think I might steal that biggrin.gif
laughingowl
QUOTE (ShadowDragon)

That's a good idea - I think I might steal that biggrin.gif

Shadowdragon for SR3 or SR4...

Seems a little overpowered in SR4 since SR4 doesn't 'drain' (dice).

SR3 you allocated 6 dice from your pool and then 'put a shield' over people. When magics tried to affect them you could use the energy to try to protect them. (but multiple castings and spell defense went bye bye)...

SR4 counterseplling doesn't decrease. One magician could protect the team from 1000 casters all casting individual spells (as long as he wasnt taken out of the fight)...

with how counterspelling works in SR4 I would stick with the LOS requirement.

Now if you mean for taking the rule for sustaining, then yeah thats what I think I will do, unless the developers answer it one way or the other. (hell I might do it even if they DO answer it).

Now for counterspelling... I think I would have no problem with a meta-magic techniqieue that allowed coutnerspelling to work outside of LOS.

Extended Coutnerspelling.
With this ability a mage may provide coutnerspelling to an individual while not maintaining LOS.

LOS is required to establish the shielding aura, but is not required to 'maintain' it. Up to (iniate grade) people can be protected and they may be up to magic * 10m away from the protecting mage while still being protected.

While protected a noticable astral aura is one them that contains the protecting mages signature, likeise the protecting mage will show as 'active' on the atral.

If the protected person moves out side of the range, or if the concentration is broken on the protecting mage, the protection is lost until it can be re-established (in range and LOS). Losing conciousness will cause the mage to loss concentration, others are GM call. (I.E. Overwhelimg emotion/control spells (fear powers, etc) that force actions on players, but dont force loss of conciousness).

(Note SM might make the above redunant, but havent gone through it completely yet)
hyzmarca
You've never needed LOS to sustain a spell. For moving area effect spells the LOS requirement is for just that, moving the spell. You can't move the spell to a place you can't see and since the spell has to be moved through space (no teleporting) you must be able see the spell too.
laughingowl
hyzmarca:

SR3 like I said. One hard for me at this point to remember RAW versus years of playing...... but yeah SR3 LOS was never required (by RAW or house, to my knowledge), but I cant remember if SR3 directly addressed or the sustain range of magic *10m was a house rule.

SR4 it is not addressed in the BBB, SM might but havent had a chance to do a through search.

HOWEVER: SR3 spell defense did NOT need LOS (after allocated), while SR4 is very blatant about needing LOS to coutnerspell.

Which makes one wonder in SR4 what else REQUIRES LOS.

Still the rules dont specify so it is clearly GM discretion until/unless a FAW/Errata which I doubt... (at most a developers comment on itnent, but doubt it would rate an errate, slim chance for mention in FAQ)
Cold-Dragon
I think the SM issue on counterspelling is that to set it you need to see it, but if it's just a mimicked issue of sustaining, so long as you keep it up, even if they get out of sight for a short while, it'll stay.

The real issue of that is people getting the protection, then wandering away for awhile. Granted, the moment the mage quits sharing the counterspelling...

bah! Nevermind me, I think I just repeated that...
laughingowl
QUOTE (Cold-Dragon)
I think the SM issue on counterspelling is that to set it you need to see it, but if it's just a mimicked issue of sustaining, so long as you keep it up, even if they get out of sight for a short while, it'll stay.

The real issue of that is people getting the protection, then wandering away for awhile. Granted, the moment the mage quits sharing the counterspelling...

bah! Nevermind me, I think I just repeated that...

Just tdoubled checked.

SM has no rules for changing 'spell defense', now some meta-magics use their own rules and special effects instead, but for good old counterspelling-spell defense it uses the BBB.

page 175 (pdf 13) of BBB:
"A protected character must also stay withing the magicians line of sight in order for counterspelling to be used."

Pretty stragiht forward and clear.... If you want protection your mana-slinger needs to have you in sight.....!!!!!!!!!!

So while SR3 I always playedas your mention (though cant swear if it is RAW or not).... SR4 LOS is REQUIRED for counterspelling/spell defense. NOT when the mage 'says he is protecting, XYZ... but (and probably in truth both) when the roll is actually made....

laughingowl
Another possible evidence that LOS might be needed to Sustain spells:

Critter POWERS:
284:

"Also, Line of sight does not have to be maintained after the power takes hold of it target."

nothing under spells in the description gives this caveat. Implications would be that this is the 'exception' to the rule, and 'sustaining' would require LOS. Otherwise no need to put the notation under critter powers and NOT under any other mention of sustaining.

So I think my house rule will be, until developers come up with a better.

Sustaining requires LOS OR magic*10m range.

Short range loss of Line of sight is allowed.... but no sustaining a spell on your friend as he flies across the country.
Wiseman
Short range loss of Line of sight is allowed.... but no sustaining a spell on your friend as he flies across the country.

At first I was against the idea of LOS required to sustain spells, but this really put it into perspective for me.

So I thought about it and I agree that you can't sustain spells at any range, and then I thought about the chance that there might be a few instances that you might need to that doesn't seem like a stretch or outside of the intended game balance.

Say we want to send an infiltrator into a building under a physical mask spell, obviously we all can't go in and lets say its a big enough building (skyrise) that he'd get out of any magic/3 range stuff.

now i'm feeling 50/50, because to me theres nothing wrong with this scenerio.

What we need is a rule that can bypass the limitation of LOS to sustain while still making the requirement the standard.

How about using the magicians bonded sustaining focus to sustain a spell at any range on someone else, or letting a spirit sustain it for you in those instances of long range or out of sight for a service?
hyzmarca
How about invisibility. With LOS sustaining requirements it is the most useless spell ever. Cast invisibility on your freind and it instantly stops being sustained because you can no longer see him. Cast invisibility on yourself and it instantly stops being sustained because you can no longer see yourself.
DireRadiant
Astral sight helps.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Astral sight helps.

And if you are a mystic adept who doesn't want to waste a point of magic or if you don't want to be vulnerable to being eaten by astraly projecting dragons just decause you are invisible?
DireRadiant
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Sep 28 2006, 12:03 PM)
Astral sight helps.

And if you are a mystic adept who doesn't want to waste a point of magic or if you don't want to be vulnerable to being eaten by astraly projecting dragons just decause you are invisible?

Is this evidence that Astral Perception wouldn't help?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012