Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shielding foci
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
krayola red
Shielding basically adds your initiate grade to your counterspelling tests insofar as defending against hostile spells, right? Shielding foci add force to your initiate grade for shielding purposes, so it effectively adds force to counterspelling tests. But the thing is, counterspelling foci do the same thing, at half the bonding cost! I might be missing something here, but serious, what's up with that? Why would anyone ever get a shielding focus over a counterspelling focus?
Ophis
Not got street magic to hand so working frommemory but Counterspelling foci are spell catergory specific, where as I don't think sheilding foci are.
krayola red
I just reread the section and it appears that you're absolutely right. I don't know how I could've missed that. Thanks! smile.gif
Ophis
Wahoo, with one read through and logic!!!
emo samurai
Also, counterspelling foci don't help with absorbing and reflecting.
Slithery D
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Also, counterspelling foci don't help with absorbing and reflecting.

That's not right. For both metamagics the description says you make a normal spell resistance test with Counterspelling, using your initiate grade as a dice bonus. Your total hits, not just those from the dice bonus, determine the results of your Absorption or Reflecting. Hell, your base attribute resistance dice don't even get separated out by the text, although common sense suggests they should. A Body 9, Counterspelling 1, Grade 2 character probably shouldn't Absorb a Power Bolt just as well as a Body 2, Counterspelling 5, Grade 5 one just because they both toss 12 dice. But Counterspelling skill is just as good as initiate dice for the purpose.
hobgoblin
and i cant say i see a problem with that. with the skill you have more control, with the initiate grade you have more raw power. but as any fighter will tell you, the combo is what kills you wink.gif this because a skilled person can find the weak spots in the strong mans attack, the strong man may simply overpower your skillfull moves.

so they avarage out in the long run. but with both high, they avarage out higher wink.gif

edit:
i just had this vision of some high and mighty initiate going up against a runt (in comparison. lets toss him enough initiations to have atleast absorption).

the initate is all "this one isnt that strong, watch me drop him with a single spell!".

the spell gets tossed, and the initate suddenly finds out that the runt is a master counterspeller that basicly grabs all the spell energy of the initates spell, and puts it into a nice big counter-attack smokin.gif

*boom*
Ancient History
With Shielding foci, it doesn't matter what category the spell is.
[/edit] Oops, scooped. Oh well. Did I mention they're more fun to find on dead wagemages?
Slithery D
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 28 2006, 08:56 PM)
and i cant say i see a problem with that. with the skill you have more control, with the initiate grade you have more raw power. but as any fighter will tell you, the combo is what kills you wink.gif this because a skilled person can find the weak spots in the strong mans attack, the strong man may simply overpower your skillfull moves.

Yeah, but I'm talking about high Body weirdness, not Counterspelling skill vs. Initiate grade. A weak magician troll shouldn't Absorb just as well as a magically powerful but physically weak human. One is resisting through being a big mo' fo', the other through his magic. Ergo, only magical dice, from whatever source, should count for these special metamagics. Separate 'em.
SL James
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Sep 28 2006, 07:56 PM)
i just had this vision of some high and mighty initiate going up against a runt (in comparison. lets toss him enough initiations to have atleast absorption).

the initate is all "this one isnt that strong, watch me drop him with a single spell!".

the spell gets tossed, and the initate suddenly finds out that the runt is a master counterspeller that basicly grabs all the spell energy of the initates spell, and puts it into a nice big counter-attack smokin.gif

*boom*

I can confidently say that I have never seen, nor ever will see, that happen.

And that's how I can sleep comfortably at night.
hobgoblin
high body, can take more punishment. high magical power, more energy capacity before it starts to hurt wink.gif

its just like overcasting a spell, the trolls inherently stronger body is able to take the strain that a human body would die from.

ie, when absorbing, some of the mana spills over into low level bodily harm. therefor, a body that can handle more harm can do better at absorbing even tho the spirit is technicaly weaker.

higher initiate grade, bigger tank. higher body, stronger tank.
with a bigger tank you can hold more. but if you put pressure on it, and have a strong tank, you may well be able to house just as much because it can cope with the pressure.

i dont see the weirdness at all...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012