Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Elemental Strike clarification
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
lorechaser
When you take elemental strike, does it impart all the effects of the element, or just the secondary?

Specifically, if the element (say cold) would normally be resisted by half impact, if you have elemental strike charged, does your melee attack go against half impact?
Ophis
I run it as having all the effects listed, as any weapon doing that type of damage does. man I love Sonic fists.
Synner
It is intended to use all the effects listed.
lorechaser
Woo woo!

I too am loving my sonic fists.

And Blast fists are a poor man's Destructive Strike (Maybe a different name - the knock down walls power).

Excellent.
Brahm
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 1 2006, 07:31 PM)
It is intended to use all the effects listed.

So you can make a slippery patch on the floor by punching it?
Cold-Dragon
That'd be spiffy, but I don't think the cold damage is that exact. Although I suppose you can make a small, fist sized patch at the top of the stairs and see if someone slips.
Brahm
Wax on...*moves palm in counter-clockwise motion*
Cold-Dragon
Well if you're gonna go that far as to use a hand motion to turn a DV into a cold floor tile, then you could also wax on some guys neck or chest or leg and give them a freezer burn that drives them nuts?

Of course, if you aim for said nuts, you might get a very comic relief in the middle of a run watching the security guard swearing and ripping his pants off trying to check that he still has jewels. Though I'm not sure anyone wants to be alias'd "Blue Balls".
Slithery D
C'mon, everyone's going to go with Metal to show up razor punks.

"You call that a knife that pops out of your hand? This is a knife that pops out of your hand."
Xenefungus
Don't really understand some variants of the power. Say Sonic Strike - WHY exactly is your STR going to determine a damage that is NOT resisted by armor at all and thus obviously does NOT hit the target physically?
Ophis
Because you as an adept are the source of your powers, and thus even though the attack doesn't make any contact, it's power is based off your own. It's how magic works.

Actually I say you do hit the target and then the sonic boom your fists create on impact reverbs through the armour nullifying it's effects. You chuckle as enemies have their eardrums burst
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Ophis)
Actually I say you do hit the target and then the sonic boom your fists create on impact reverbs through the armour nullifying it's effects.

What is it that reverberates?
The Soniiiiic BOOOOOM!!!!!!
Thank you Guile. You may return to Street Fighter now.
lorechaser
Sonic damage.

Is there anything it *can't* do?
fdnickerson
QUOTE (lorechaser)

And Blast fists are a poor man's Destructive Strike (Maybe a different name - the knock down walls power).

I don't know how it compares to Smashing Blow but it seems to make Inertia Strike pretty much useless.
Is there a reason to take Inertial Strike over Blast that I'm missing?
lorechaser
What's the Force of a Blast attack?

Magic rating, maybe?

Inertia is half strength. So depending, it can be more or less.

However, Inertia strike is a free action to activate, whereas Elemental strike takes a simple action.

So you can't use Elemental strike first IP.
fdnickerson
QUOTE (lorechaser)
What's the Force of a Blast attack?

Magic rating, maybe?

Inertia is half strength.  So depending, it can be more or less.

However, Inertia strike is a free action to activate, whereas Elemental strike takes a simple action.

So you can't use Elemental strike first IP.

In an earlier thread Synner said

Blast elemental damage - Basic Killing Hands physical damage is
resisted with half Impact armor (rounded up). Characters struck with a Blast damage attack are more likely to be knocked down. Add the character's Strength (instead of Force) to the damage inflicted when comparing to the defender’s Body for the purposes of Knockdown.

It does take longer to activate but it lasts longer too (for magic number of turns.) So for the exact same point cost as inertial strike you have an attack that is twice as effective at knockdown (full strength value), cuts the defender's effective armor in half, and doesn't have to be activated every turn.

The only other reason besides activation time I could see to pick Inertia Strike over Blast, is if you didn't want to get Killing Hands. And I've yet to see a melee oriented adept who didn't have Killing Hands.
lorechaser
I have to agree that + strength is a bit over the top.

However, here are a couple reasons:

1. You can't combine Distance Strike and Elemental Strike. I see nothing to indicate you can't combine Distance Strike and Inertial Strike.

2. I asume you can't have multiple Elemental Strikes active at once. So if you want, say, Cold damage, you can't have Blast. But you can have a Cold Inertial strike.

If you're only getting one of the powers, Elemental: Blast is better. If you want to combine with other stuff, Inertial Strike is sometimes better.

However, I'd argue that Blast force should equal half strength. Otherwise it's huge.
Cold-Dragon
Now here's a question: Do you neccessarily have to cause damage to create th elemental effects?

I'm not neccessarily talking about touch attacks (though it's certainly one thought) but I am considering nerve strike. So long as you do a point of ability damage, wouldn't that cound? Be an interesting mix with an electrical elemental attack - reduced ability and chance of an outright stun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012