Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical AP
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Garrowolf
I have a rule that my group uses that I think works. I'm not sure if there is anything written about this already. I wondered what people thought about it.
Basically AP for guns is based on techniques to penetrate the weave of armor or reduce it's ability to resist it or whatever. I was thinking that these would have no relevence for magic armor or barriers. They are more like force fields and only the force of the bullet should matter.
Therefore we ruled that AP doesn't factor in for magic BUT the rating of a weapon foci DOES count as AP against magic barriers. This way it makes mageblades all that much more useful.
Jaid
magic being so largely based on belief, i assume the fact that everyone knows AP bullets penetrate armor has an effect on the magic, allowing the bullet to penetrate magical armor.

also, many descriptions of magical armor seem to indicate that they have some sort of physical presence. there is no reason this physical presence cannot react the same way as normal physical objects would with respect to armor penetrating attacks.
Aaron
I know that the APDS rounds in my drone's sniper rifle made very short work of some insect spirits.
fistandantilus4.0
I wouldn't go with that personally, especially if you start getting mages that start racking on a few initiation grades and get higher magic. You get a mage PC with Force 10 armor, you'll want to rethink that AP penetration. The PC's will probably be thinking the same thing as soon as they run in to an opponent with Froce 10 armor and a sustaining focus.
blakkie
That, and as Aaron alluded to indirectly this seems to make mundane weapons even more impotent vs. spirits. frown.gif
Garrowolf
Well mundane weapons are mostly useless for attacking spirits. That's why you need a mage on your team in the first place.

I think that if you pay for it then you should get it. Let the mages shine in their field. If you feel the need to keep your mage from getting too powerful then limit their access to powerful artificers and talismongers. I personally think that most would only be making force 3 or 4 items. The other thing that you could do is to limit the Magic just like any other attribute to 1.5 x racial max. Then use the optional rule of allowing Metamagic techniques be bought out of initiation once you have access to them from the first initiation.

The damage would still apply as normal. The problem I have about the AP and belief is that the mage doesn't know it's AP. If you want to get too much into the belief issue then you would have to include some sort of social mechanic where you could convince the magic user of something and therefore limit his magic. This just screws the magic users.

I think that the fact the armor spell only gives you the protection equal to the number of hits and is limited by the force means that a Force 10 Armor spell is likely not to actually be 10 pts of protection. This also means that they are taking a sustaining penalty. And it is easy to throw a flash bang and make the mage test for concentration. I increase the threshold on that test depending on whats going on. The other thing that is easy to do to mages is throw in smoke grenades - no LOS.

The major reason I wanted the weapon foci to work as AP was for the feel of the setting. I like the idea of magic users running around with swords. It makes it more fun to me.

Of course I also limit the number of foci a character uses by having them take +1 drain for every Magic rating in combined foci ratings they have to every spell they cast. They are just pulling too much extra mana.
Jaid
it's not wether or not the mage knows it, or even the spirit. it's the simple fact that everyone (or at least, everyone who knows about armor piercing bullets) knows, by definition, that they pierce armor. the fact that so many people believe in their ability to pierce armor is going to overwhelm any beliefs the magician or spirit might have, because this isn't a local belief i'm talking about.
fistandantilus4.0
Despite everything, I like why you want to do it. I think it might end up being a problem, and weapon foci really are their own incentive. I say give it a shot , and see what you think. Maybe you'll decide that you like it for your game. It can be unbalancing, but hey, not everything is fair, right? I just think it'll have a bad effect on the mundane characters.
Garrowolf
Yes but the mage using the armor spell doesn't know that you are packing AP ammo. That's what I'm trying to point out. He can't tell.

And no where I've seen does it say that your belief about a spell changes the spell. This is not Mage the Ascension. It is not a belief based game.

Armor is a physical manipulation that is stopping a physical object. It is described as a 'glowing field of magical energy'. You are not opposing it with your will so your beliefs could never have anything to do with it. (Maybe the bullet's beliefs maight come into play).

What I'm saying is that the AP is not magical. It is a trick of physics that when you shape a bullet this way with these materials then it will go through this other material easier. None of that applies to a force field like effect of an armor spell.

Now if you want to bring belief into then have a mage that created his own version of armor (maybe with some other special effect) but HE believes that AP would penetrate better because he thinks that way so THAT armor spell doesn't ignore AP.
TheNarrator
What I'm saying is that the AP is not magical. It is a trick of physics that when you shape a bullet this way with these materials then it will go through this other material easier. None of that applies to a force field like effect of an armor spell.

Why not? If the bullet has additional kinetic energy due to increased mass (larger caliber), velocity (rifles) or density (tungsten or steel APDS), then it has additional energy. Period. Why on Earth wouldn't that increase its effectiveness against the energy field. That's physics, amigo. Magic in Shadowrun is still subject to physics.

Like you said, the barrier formed by armor is a physical effect, existing on the physical plane. It's subject to physical effects. Now, you're right that an astral barrier wouldn't be effected by armor piercing ammunition, but the astral barrier wouldn't be able to effect them either. It's not physical.

As for wanting there to be reasons to use weapon foci, there already are. Big ones. Weapon foci grant extra dice. That means they have a better chance to hit and will deal more damage. Weapon foci can effect astral forms. Guns can't. A mundane can't, period, unless he finds some FAB-III and that's highly unlikely. And when a weapon focus is used against a spirit, the spirit's Immunity to Normal Weapons doesn't apply. Which means that when you use a weapon focus against a spirit, they essentially have no armor. That's a hell of an advantage. That's the difference between a spirit rolling slightly more than its Force to resist the damage you deal and rolling slightly more than three times their Force.

In addition, not applying AP when the target has an Armor spell will seriously alter the game balance, giving mages a big edge. And mages are already pretty badass. You may, of course, play your game however you see fit, but I would strongly urge you not to change this particular rule. It's already impossible to damage a Force 6 spirit with most mundane weapons. Remove AP from it and a Force 6 spirit will be able to ignore Panther Assault Cannons. And that's not cool.
Garrowolf
I can see it your way as well. My group is actually using a different damage table that is divided by caliber so some of the rounds, especially rifle rounds do more then the book values. Actually they have alot more AP then the book most of the time. But the reason that there is a difference between penetration and damage is because they are two different factors. YES high velocity can increase the damage AND the penetration but it is already a part of the damage. Damage is the physical hit and penetration is what allows that physical hit to get past the armor in this system. Penetration doesn't add to the damage after the armor. If you have no armor then it doesn't apply at all. Therefore they are saying that the actual damage of the bullet is ONLY the damage. This means that if for some reason the AP was ignored it would only have damage. My view of force fields, which is how I understand the Armor spell, would ALWAYS ignore AP no matter what gaming system I am using. It would take an energy weapon (or in this case a magical weapon) to have any sort of AP.

Now in 3rd ed Immunity to normal weapons also ignored AP. I'm just bringing that forward.

Personally I like the magical AP part. I wouldn't allow too high a focus in my game anyway so it doesn't cause a problem. It only works against a magical barrier and not necessarily against a ward so it would only effect the mages against each other. I want to encourage mage against mage combat and discourage the automatic shoot the mage first syndrome. I guess one way of dealing with it is just have someone publish a version of armor that ignores AP. Maybe it raises the drain code by +1 but it would probably replace the standard version. In my opinion somebody eventually would.

My point was only about barrier type spells - not spirits. Personally I could see adding the hardening effect to armor spell as well. You would get a nice Neo type effect there too.

A house rule that I use is that even mundanes can attack spirits as long as they are using a melee weapon that they have had for a while (enough to get their energy on it). They roll willpower + weapon skill. In this case the spirit only has their essence in hardened armor not twice. The weapon's damage is based on will as well. It would be hard for them to attack a materialized spirit but not impossible this way. It only count for weapons that you are holding so no ranged weapons or thrown weapons.

Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (TheNarrator)
Why not? If the bullet has additional kinetic energy due to increased mass (larger caliber), velocity (rifles) or density (tungsten or steel APDS), then it has additional energy. Period.

Armor piercing cartridges do not necessarily impart more kinetic energy to the projectile than what you get with FMJs or JHPs. They penetrate armor better because they concentrate the energy on a smaller area -- through a combination of being hard enough not to deform and often being smaller in frontal area to begin with.

The M995 5.56x45mm tungsten carbide AP round fires a 52-grain bullet at 3324fps out of an M16A2 for 1276ft-lbs of KE at the muzzle, only 16ft-lbs more than the M855 FMJ round (62gr at 3025fps). Yet the M995 penetrates twice as much armor steel as the M855. Similarly the M993 7.62x51mm AP round puts its projectile only barely above the M80 FMJ at the muzzle for energy (by about 50ft-lbs), yet it penetrates 3 times as much armor steel. The slightly higher velocities of the AP rounds might have a minor effect here (since that translates to more power at the same amount of energy), but the main reason is the lower contact area because of the hardness of the penetrator.

If you want bullets hitting a Physical Barrier to ricochet, flatten in midair and make a lot of noise like it was hitting something solid, AP should matter. If you see the effect as being more akin to Neo-style bullet stopping, there's no particular reason AP should be considered.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I was thinking that these would have no relevence for magic armor or barriers.

That would be a houserule itself, as by the RaW, AP does.
hyzmarca
Belief is unimportant in this matter. The armor spell creates a physical barrier which does obey certain physical laws. It can only take so much pressure before it fails, just normal armor.

Now, if we were dealing with a magical teflon coating that makes the bullet slip between kevlar fibers, that would be another story. It reasonably wouldn't hepd against an armor spell. The fact that magical teflon coating don't exist in SR or the real world makes that moo, like a cow's opinion.
Thanee
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
That would be a houserule itself, as by the RaW, AP does.

I'm reasonably sure, that's what he is proposing. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Thanee
The problem here is, that AP and DV both are based on varying aspects of a weapon.

A katana has a good DV because it has a sharp edge; a club does not get the same DV. Sharpness would have no meaning, though, since only the power of the blow would be important, not how sharp the weapon is. Monowhips are even more extreme.

Basically, if you want to go that way, you would have to give all weapons two damage values. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
Garrowolf
Two damage values? Well I guess they already do - damage and penetration. (There are days when I miss the power part of damage codes in SR)

A katana has a good DV because it has a sharp edge; a club does not get the same DV. Sharpness would have no meaning, though, since only the power of the blow would be important, not how sharp the weapon is. Monowhips are even more extreme.

That was actually what I was thinking. The shape of the object has a major effect on material but I couldn't see it effecting a force field as anything but a certain amount of force.

I was sort of thinking about magnetic fields. Two objects of the same mass but different shapes (maybe one it sharper) and the same material would interact with the field the same. (I know that's not a great analogy and will probably cause me more problems but oh well.)

Now I know that it's not a perfect solution, but it generally gets across what I'm going for in feel.

Findar
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
I have a rule that my group uses that I think works. I'm not sure if there is anything written about this already. I wondered what people thought about it.
Basically AP for guns is based on techniques to penetrate the weave of armor or reduce it's ability to resist it or whatever. I was thinking that these would have no relevence for magic armor or barriers. They are more like force fields and only the force of the bullet should matter.
Therefore we ruled that AP doesn't factor in for magic BUT the rating of a weapon foci DOES count as AP against magic barriers. This way it makes mageblades all that much more useful.

That is not how APDS rounds work. An APDS has a penetrator and a collar of you will that peals away after firing. The penetrator is usually made from a harder material than a standard round and is traveling at higher velocity tha a stabdard round. The smaller diameter of the penetrator combined with the higher velocity produce higher pressure on imapct than a standard round. Higher pressure backing a shape that's better suited for penetrating pushes through material better. Ruling that APDS has no effect on magic makes no sense to me. Why does the smaller round traveling at higher velocity from a APDS round get treated differently than if that same round would if it was fired at the same velocity from a gun without a sabot around it?
kzt
QUOTE (Findar)
That is not how APDS rounds work. An APDS has a penetrator and a collar of you will that peals away after firing.

Of course, small caliber APDS rounds don't actually work. Nasty tendency to exit the barrel prior to the muzzle, which is why there is a .50 cal SLAP round and not a 7.62, which was in the same research and development program.

But I agree that the ruling is silly.

But it's still too bad that the SR writer who came up with the ammo rules seems to have obtained all his firearms knowledge in movie theaters.
hyzmarca
Garrowolf, I believe, is assuming that armor is a uniform field that applies force to objects moving perpendicular to the field. Rather than exerting a normal force against the projectile as a solid object would it exerts constant force as teh projectile move through the field, not unlike the force exerted on an electric charge as it moves though a magnetic field, or that two magnetic oles exert on one another. In this model the mass and velocity of the projectile would matter but the impact pressure would not because there would be no impact.

Of course, in this model a fist should pierce magical barriers far more easily than a bullet would.
Mistwalker
Hmm, makes me thing of the forcefield/shields used in Dune, where they would stop high velocity attacks, but would allow gracefully slow knife attacks thru.
Garrowolf

Garrowolf, I believe, is assuming that armor is a uniform field that applies force to objects moving perpendicular to the field. Rather than exerting a normal force against the projectile as a solid object would it exerts constant force as teh projectile move through the field, not unlike the force exerted on an electric charge as it moves though a magnetic field, or that two magnetic oles exert on one another. In this model the mass and velocity of the projectile would matter but the impact pressure would not because there would be no impact.

Yes, that is more along the lines of what I'm thinking actually. It says that it is creating a magical field around the object not actually creating armor on the person.

In third edition I had reasoned that immunity to normal weapons worked as a sort of force field which is why AP didn't work on it but it did on hardened armor. But magical weapons did penetrate so I reasoned that they had a sort of magical AP. But I didn't want it to completely ignore the immunity so I made it take it's weapon focus rating as it's magical AP and applied it to half the armor so more powerful weapon foci had another advantage. Then I extended this to the armor spell.

I was just bringing my 3rd ed house rule forward. I will be doing the same for immunity.
hyzmarca
APDS worked perfectly on Immunity to normal weapons in 3rd. It was hollow points, explosives, flechettes, and autofire that didn't work so well. Imminity to normal weapons ignored modifications to the power of the atack but APDS did not modify the power, it modified the armor value of the target.
And the things that Immunity to Normal Weapons ignored were also ignored by Hardened armor.

And, of could, one should point out that Imunity to Normal WEapons is not the same as armor or a physical barrier.
Garrowolf
hyzmarca said:

APDS worked perfectly on Immunity to normal weapons in 3rd. It was hollow points, explosives, flechettes, and autofire that didn't work so well. Imminity to normal weapons ignored modifications to the power of the atack but APDS did not modify the power, it modified the armor value of the target.
And the things that Immunity to Normal Weapons ignored were also ignored by Hardened armor.

pg 264 Shadowrun Third Edition - Immunity power last sentence:
APDS, AVM and other armor piercing ammunition are treated as normal ammunition against creatures with this power.

Hardened Armor
Same page last sentence:
Against APDS and AVM ammunition, hardened armor only counts as half it's rating.

What I was saying was that I had already house ruled that effect to include the force field effect of armor and physical barrier. I was just bringing it forward to 4th. I know that the precedent was from 3rd and not 4th.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012