Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: microtrancievers vs. commlinks
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
G.NOME
When on a run, doesn't it make more sense for a group of characters to use microtrancievers rather than commlinks for communication purposes?

They get you a better Signal for less cost, and don't have all the "baggage" (read: identifying information) that comes along with using a commlink.

Just a thought.
The Jopp
It all comes down to convenience for me. The Tranceiver is very god for having spoken communication through a wireless encrypted medium, and they can be loaded with agents and databombs so that they can be somewhat protected.

What you CAN'T do is that you cannot send live videofeed, silent communications and text and imagefiles important to the mission.

The commlinks don't HAVE to send sensitive information as you can put them all in hidden mode but I'd advice you to have a stand-alone commlink (Response 5) running 9 programs and agents (thus lowering its response to 4). This is your Firewall that ALL communications are piped through.

The Bad: Expensive
The Good: 5 agents doing Analyze tests 3IP's each.

That's 15 X 8D6 Analyze tests per combat turn. or 5 tests per second. Anyone trying to hack the communications are in for a little problem.

Sniffing the wireless connection might be a problem though but that's a problem for any wireless connection, and the tranceiver usually have a higher rating and thus people farther away can sniff it. Short range communications are less risky.
Serbitar
*del*
De Badd Ass
QUOTE (G.NOME)
When on a run, doesn't it make more sense for a group of characters to use microtrancievers rather than commlinks for communication purposes?

They get you a better Signal for less cost, and don't have all the "baggage" (read: identifying information) that comes along with using a commlink.

Just a thought.

Perhaps what you want is BOTH. You need the commlink to decipher the encrypted AR.
Draconis
Early on we learned to turn off our comlinks in combat situations/infiltrations.
They're just too damn easy to hack and track. We use microtrancievers instead. When a piece of equipment becomes a liability it's time to ditch it. Which is a shame because in SR3 we ran with a full battleTac suite.
BishopMcQ
If the team was willing to fork out the cash for BattleTac, the money involved in upgrading a set of work only commlinks with heavy encryption etc sholdn't be that bad.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Draconis)
Early on we learned to turn off our comlinks in combat situations/infiltrations.
They're just too damn easy to hack and track. We use microtrancievers instead. When a piece of equipment becomes a liability it's time to ditch it. Which is a shame because in SR3 we ran with a full battleTac suite.

Which is why contermeasures were developed; BattleTac was just too useful for anyone not to try to interfere with it.
Kyoto Kid
...I miss the old Transducer implant, no need to subvocalise through your micro transceiver.
Xenefungus
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 5 2006, 04:10 AM)
The commlinks don't HAVE to send sensitive information as you can put them all in hidden mode but I'd advice you to have a stand-alone commlink (Response 5) running 9 programs and agents (thus lowering its response to 4). This is your Firewall that ALL communications are piped through.

The Bad: Expensive
The Good: 5 agents doing Analyze tests 3IP's each.

That's 15 X 8D6 Analyze tests per combat turn. or 5 tests per second. Anyone trying to hack the communications are in for a little problem.

Do you really want this to exist? EVERY Corp wold have it..

EDIT: ..multiple times, of course wink.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...I miss the old Transducer implant, no need to subvocalise through your micro transceiver.

Isn't a datajack enough for that now?

Bye
Thanee
The Jopp
QUOTE (Xenefungus)

Do you really want this to exist? EVERY Corp wold have it..

EDIT: ..multiple times, of course wink.gif

Well, it works. Of course it can be used by the opposition but it takes a LOT of system power.

Still it might be cut down to 3 tests per second or so with two agents doing Spoof's instead of analyze.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Thanee)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Oct 5 2006, 07:54 PM)

Isn't a datajack enough for that now?

Bye
Thanee

...maybe, but much of the headware seems awfully vague. It isn't even clear whether the 2070s DJ is a standard connector plug in or induction pad. Too bad that skinlink doesn't work for electronics other than commlink subscribed devices.

Both Leela and Night Angel had induction DJs wired to their Transducers with the Micro Transceivers disguised as costume jewelry necklaces (with ECCM & signal encryption of course). I miss the pre Commlink days, things were a lot simpler and more secure. Basically a character didn't really need to spend BPs/Karma on computer skills to get around back then.

BTW all my SR4 characters still use MTs on the job, just got to wait for the various tech supplements to come out to see if there are any fun new options they can add
DireRadiant
Datajack provides DNI and hardwired connection for devices. So for the transceiver and datajack combo that would work. Though as noted there is that queston of whether the datajack is wireless, but as everything is wireless by default I'd make it a given. What I would though is add a skinlink to both to reduce emissions.
Draconis
QUOTE (kigmatzomat)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Oct 5 2006, 11:35 AM)
They're just too damn easy to hack and track.  We use microtrancievers instead.  When a piece of equipment becomes a liability it's time to ditch it. Which is a shame because in SR3 we ran with a full battleTac suite.

Which is why contermeasures were developed; BattleTac was just too useful for anyone not to try to interfere with it.

Agreed. Hmm you just gave me a great idea though. I think i'm going to get our rigger to run a 'link with false data just to let them hack it.
Nikoli
You mean you don't set aside starting cash for a dummy 'link?
Draconis
QUOTE (Nikoli)
You mean you don't set aside starting cash for a dummy 'link?

I'm a mage, what do I care? I don't even use the damn things. Usually we just take other people's and upgrade that way.
kigmatzomat
QUOTE (Draconis)
QUOTE (kigmatzomat @ Oct 5 2006, 05:12 PM)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Oct 5 2006, 11:35 AM)
They're just too damn easy to hack and track.  We use microtrancievers instead.  When a piece of equipment becomes a liability it's time to ditch it. Which is a shame because in SR3 we ran with a full battleTac suite.

Agreed. Hmm you just gave me a great idea though. I think i'm going to get our rigger to run a 'link with false data just to let them hack it.

It's been suggested before but that doesn't make it stop being a good idea.

We got some cheap comms with minimal amount of encryption on them so they weren't wide open. Most of the time we rely on transceivers for communication but once the drek hit the fan we'd fire up those cheap comms and play the audio track from an action Sim over it, with each person having a different point-of-view track so the data was more rational. The technomancer would, from time to time, go hunting invading hackers in the faux-comm subnet.

We were trying to get a hold of a set of smartlink diagnostic units to connect to the comms, so there appeared to be weapons linked up to them with ammunition being cycled to further sucker the attack hackers, but the game ended before the GM let us have them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012