Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sustained spell range
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
odei
Is there a maximum range for sustained spells?

I.e. can a mage in Seattle cast increase attribute on somebody else and then sit at home while the other person flies to London? When the mage falls unconscious the spell will drop, but does the distance have any effect?
hyzmarca
If a mage casts at a high force, gets plenty of successes, has a good telescope, and is immortal then he can potentially levitate someone to Alpha Centauri. I wouldn't recomend it but it can be done. Likelikewise, Levitation from the Earth to the Moon should be possible and far more plausable. Distance doesn't really matter.
eidolon
Which is...horribly broken. Spell distance/range is one of my long standing peeves...

But hey, that's just me.
child of insanity
do you need to remain LOS for a sustained spell?
hyzmarca
No, but you need LOS to move or change a sustained spell.

For example, if you cast a Trid Phantasm of Godzilla and just want it to stand there and do nothing you're okay without LOS. However, if you want a Trid Phantasm of Godzilla roaring and crushing ships you'll need LOS to animate it. Likewise, if you want to have a person levitate in place you can leave them hovering in one spot indeffinantly without LOS, but you need LOS if you want to move your Levitate target.
odei
QUOTE (eidolon)
Which is...horribly broken. Spell distance/range is one of my long standing peeves...

But hey, that's just me.

Actually, until very recently (when this issue came up in a game) I assumed all sustained spells had a maximum range of Force x Magic meters, since that's the range given for area detection spells. I didn't know, by canon, that didn't apply to all sustained spells--but it's a good enough house rule.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012