Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the Exchange?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
It says that it's a society that people belong to without knowing it. Does Target: Matrix give any more info, and is it worth buying?
Ophis
To the worth buying question, I'd say yes. I think Target: Matrix is a wonderful source book.

The Exchange (too answer the main part) is a network that asks you to do favors, and then pays you back. This is clear in Runner Havens. As to who runs it, I'd say it's up to the ref. I'm not sure yet whether it is benevolent or sinister.
emo samurai
Which page?
lorechaser
Was the Exchange based off of Sterling's short story Maneki Neko? It's about a gift based economy, basically, organized remotely via text messaging.

It's from A Good Old-Fashioned Future by Sterling.

http://www.epiphyte.net/SF/old-fashioned-future.html
Aaron
The Exchange seems to be an automated favor exchange, like Favorville.

As far as who's in charge of it, there's no reason why anybody has to be in charge of it. By its description, it looks like a peer-to-peer network that could easily operate by consensus.
Ancient History
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Was the Exchange based off of Sterling's short story Maneki Neko? It's about a gift based economy, basically, organized remotely via text messaging.

It's from A Good Old-Fashioned Future by Sterling.

http://www.epiphyte.net/SF/old-fashioned-future.html

Maneki Neko is a good example of this sort of network.
emo samurai
I want one to exist!
Fortune
So, start one up.
Dissonance
In Emo's game, The Exchange is run by an escaped genetech program, started up by Yamatetsu (Now EVO) before the crash. It was an attempt to create the perfect clone ninja soldier, spliced with the DNA of awakened dinosaurs and enhanced with orichalcum implants. During the crash, they escaped on jet-powered skateboards and now use the Exchange to further the goals of their crime syndicate.

The Stego-Gumi.
Slithery D
Oh, just pay it forward.
Fortune
QUOTE (Slithery D)
Oh, just pay it forward.

I was thinking that very same thing. biggrin.gif
lorechaser
QUOTE (Dissonance @ Oct 10 2006, 11:25 PM)
spliced with the DNA of awakened dinosaurs

I am so writing up a Jurassic Park adventure for Shadowrun, and pitching it to Fanpro.

T-Rexes with Wired Reflexes. What could go wrong?
Mistwalker
Go for something a little more original than wired, and more in line with Jurassic Park.

They have gene-engineered the dinosaurs, they all have synaptic boosters, muscle toners and augmentation, maxed out bioware. This is now their natural form, so any that get off the island and reproduce, will pass it on to their offspring.

Make it a recurring problem.

I can just see it.
lorechaser
Awww yeah.

"Oh no. We don't go to Buenos Aries any more. That's dino country."

Mistwalker
Wonder if that is what they mean by "Feral Cities" eek.gif
Ancient History
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Awww yeah.

"Oh no. We don't go to Buenos Aries any more. That's dino country."

"Ma, get my uzi. Them velociraptors are in the recycle bins again."
emo samurai
"Pick up a few grenades on the way out."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012