Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Commanding Voice encounter
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eben McKay
Apologies if this issue has come up before.

My PCs are one dwarf magician, one ork TM, and two Elven-Physads-in-Suits™. One physad is a revolver-and-karate style killer, the other is the group's Face.

In a recent session, they found themselves meeting with a dozen or so Yak thugs in an empty warehouse (the PCs were the bait for an ambush against the Yaks). When the NPC allies of the runners burst in through the windows and the drek hit the fan, everyone jumped into the fight, except for the social adept. Instead, his player smiled at me and announced he would be using Commanding Voice on the Yaks, his order being "Shoot your friends!"

I ruled right there that he couldn't give obviously suicidal commands, so he changed his command to "Drop your weapons!". Now there were probably two dozen people in that warehouse at the time, so I ruled that he would have to target just one group of the thugs.

He rolls his 13+ dice in the opposed test and beats them, even with their +5 dice for numbers. Eight of the twelve Yakuza drop their guns and never get a chance to pick them back up as two NPC allies with assault rifles force them to put their hands up. This really helps end the fight quickly, with only one NPC death.

Only later did I notice that the area of effect on the power is everyone within earshot. That means technically I should've made EVERYONE drop their weapons, friend and foe alike! This wouldn't really have hurt the PCs much, as two fight unarmed half the time, one throws spells, and another chucks knives.

How do you interpret this power? Am I going to need to house-rule the hell out of it?
DireRadiant
If it includes everyone, that means everyone counts for the dice mod too.
The Jopp
QUOTE (DireRadiant)
If it includes everyone, that means everyone counts for the dice mod too.

Sorry but that is not QUITE right.

"The adept takes a Complex Action to give a simple but forceful command (five words or less) to the target, making an Opposed Test with Leadership + Charisma against the target(s) Willpower + Leadership."

Now, according to the RAW only the targets chosen by the adept are affected by the ability - it is magic after all. But only those within earshot and able to understand it.
DireRadiant
Perhaps if stated this way, someone who does not count for the dice modifiers should not be affected.
Eben McKay
While I can readily accept the idea of the power being targetable, the opening line of the power reads: "This power channels the adept's magic into his voice to enhance the modulation and pitch, subliminally influencing the actions of any listeners." (p. 176 SM)

It's that "any listeners" part which has me confused and worrying it may affect everyone within earshot.
DireRadiant
Treat Within Earshot like LOS. This qualifies the range for the effects. It identifies all possible targets.

As to which targets are actually affected within that range. The adept obviously selects some targets. The next item to consider is if people within range that the adept has not targeted can be affected. My opinion, I wouldn't allow it, but for your game you may decide to do so.

For resolution, regardless of how the targets within earshot are selected, all targets that are effected affect the dice pool modifiers. If you don't modify the pool as an extra target, you shouldn't be affected. If you are affected by the power, you modify the dice pool.
toturi
So... he should have yelled,"Shoot the Yakuza!"
fool
[QUOTE]"The adept takes a Complex Action to give a simple but forceful command (five words or less) to the target
notice that that is singular target, not targets. I don't know exactly how I would rule, but I think it would be an all ore one type thing. You either effect everyone who can hear you or only one target.
DarkNataku
QUOTE (fool)
"The adept takes a Complex Action to give a simple but forceful command (five words or less) to the target

notice that that is singular target, not targets. I don't know exactly how I would rule, but I think it would be an all ore one type thing. You either effect everyone who can hear you or only one target.

Oi. If I were you, I wouldn't argue based on the word target not being plural, as it's grammatically correct to refer to a group of people as a single target.
fool
I dunno about that. In the magic section it often differentiates between target and targets. For instance area effect spells effect all valid targets within the area.
L.D
Why not limit the number of affected people to Magic rating? That's a pretty common standard and should work well...
inkspot
The text for this power does not limit the number of targets. It also does not allow for the user of the power to choose particular targets. Seems to me that going strictly off of the wording of the power, the command given would effect any "metahumans who can directly hear and understand the adept's words".

In terms of the example talked about above, there could have been clarification made in the command. Something to the effect of "Yakuza, drop your weapons!" follows the requirements of the command given in the power's description, but the command itself is directed to a particular group of people in auditory range.
fistandantilus4.0
I'm hoping this would be something that's changed in the errata. Otherwise it seems overpowered to me. really, someone that has this skill is going to develop a good leadership skill, while not too many others will. It quickly becomes very difficult to resist. If it effects an unlimited amount of people that the speaker chooses, that's damn strong. If it's everyone that hears it, that's strong and potentially problematic. I'd limit it to single targets as it was before IIRC.
kzt
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
It quickly becomes very difficult to resist. If it effects an unlimited amount of people that the speaker chooses, that's damn strong. If it's everyone that hears it, that's strong and potentially problematic.

Hmm, think of giant torchlit rallies. . . .
inkspot
If it's everyone that hears it, that's strong and potentially problematic.

This is seemingly the limiter for the power. Since it effects everyone in auditory range of the command, it would be way too powerful if the adept could pick and choose their targets.
fistandantilus4.0
Not really a limitation. Just depends on implemitation. Say for example the speaker is looking for a distraction. Walks up to a crowd and yells out something like "Riot!" or "Get Naked!"
inkspot
Not really a limitation. Just depends on implemitation. Say for example the speaker is looking for a distraction.  Walks up to a crowd and yells out something like "Riot!" or "Get Naked!"

It is definitely a limitation. You are forced to take into account who will be in range of the given command and how the command will affect all those in range. The examples given regarding the commands to "Riot!" or "Get Naked!" don't really apply since the power states that "the target will use his next action to either carry out the command or stands confused", and "such commands carry no weight beyond the immediate impetus, and the affected characters will quickly reassert their wits, returning to their original course of action." So if you did give a command like "Get Naked!", the target(s) might get their shirt off before reverting to their normal state of mind.
DarkNataku
Honestly, I don't see how it's a huge deal.
You get two simple actions each pass. The commanding voice forces one of those actions to do something (or stop, dazed for the one action). The other action can be used as normal. It's not an influence spell that lasts until resisted; it gets one single forced action from the target.
fistandantilus4.0
which is pretty much my point. Sorry that I didn't explain further. I wasn't trying to suggest that you could cause a riot, but that you can and would cause all kinds of trouble, or depending on what the people were doing at the moment, destruction. Either way, it doesn't really jive with the way limitations are normally built in to powers/magic in the game. Generally, if you have an ability with magic that can effect a large area/amount of people, there's a way to limit it, like with spell casting. It makes more sense (IMO at least) to assume the power was desinged to effect a limited number of people as it was in the previous edition, than to assume that it effects anyone and everyone.

Seems to me that going strictly off of the wording of the power, the command given would effect any "metahumans who can directly hear and understand the adept's words".

By the wording here, you could also say that the speaker would be effected. That doesn't make any sense though. It makes more sense to go with the way the power previously worked than the exact opposite.
inkspot
QUOTE (DarkNataku)
Honestly, I don't see how it's a huge deal.
You get two simple actions each pass. The commanding voice forces one of those actions to do something (or stop, dazed for the one action). The other action can be used as normal. It's not an influence spell that lasts until resisted; it gets one single forced action from the target.

I agree that this power doesn't seem as powerful as it is being made out to sound. The worst it is going to do is make you use an action to do something or stand there and do nothing, like you said. Although the power doesn't state that what you are commanded to do will necessarily take up a Simple Action, just that the affected character will use their next action to do it. So if the command was given to "Run Away!" I would think that would only take up a Free Action, as Run is a Free Action, whereas if the command was "Cast a spell!" it would take up a Complex Action. The most vague part of the affects described is if you end up just standing there. How long are you just going to stand there? I guess at this point that is going to be at the GM's discretion. I would assume you would stand there for the amount of time it would have taken you to complete the given command.
DarkNataku
QUOTE (inkspot)
I agree that this power doesn't seem as powerful as it is being made out to sound. The worst it is going to do is make you use an action to do something or stand there and do nothing, like you said. Although the power doesn't state that what you are commanded to do will necessarily take up a Simple Action, just that the affected character will use their next action to do it. So if the command was given to "Run Away!" I would think that would only take up a Free Action, as Run is a Free Action, whereas if the command was "Cast a spell!" it would take up a Complex Action. The most vague part of the affects described is if you end up just standing there. How long are you just going to stand there? I guess at this point that is going to be at the GM's discretion. I would assume you would stand there for the amount of time it would have taken you to complete the given command.

True. I would require more net successes to get a target to carry out a complex action though; otherwise the mage spends the simple action starting to cast, and then realizes what he's doing - Or just stands dazed for the simple action.
As far as being dazed goes, I would treat that as what happens when net hits on the test aren't significant; so a simple action at most.
inkspot
It makes more sense (IMO at least) to assume the power was desinged to effect a limited number of people as it was in the previous edition, than to assume that it effects anyone and everyone.

There is no basis for this assumption considering the power states it influences the actions of "any listeners" and does not limit the number of people affected in the description. If that was their intention, then I hope they errata this soon.

By the wording here, you could also say that the speaker would be effected. That doesn't make any sense though.

I don't think there are going to be many people, if any, that try to make the argument that the adept should be affected by this power when they are the one using it. I do understand how these are both arguments that can be made from the wording of the power's description, but I can more readily justify making the power applicable to anyone in earshot of the command, excluding the adept, over implementing a system of limitation that isn't included in the power's description at all.
inkspot
QUOTE (DarkNataku)
I would require more net successes to get a target to carry out a complex action

I like that idea. Makes a lot of sense that the more complex an action, the more successes would be required to have the target actually follow the command.
DarkNataku
I think the power was meant to be used in a pick-and-choose sense. At least to an extent. The rules for multiple targets (use the largest dice pool and add 1 dice for each member of the group, max +5) are exactly the same as group negotiations. This means that the group gets a 'leader of the pack' to resist. If the power were to be used on any metahuman within earshot, it makes little sense that the phys ad's own teammate would represent the target group.
Garrowolf
How about a skill roll to remove selected characters? If you have four people in your party, including you, you would need to roll a threshold of 3 to select them out of the effect.
Moon-Hawk
Walks up to a crowd and yells out something like "Riot!" or "Get Naked!"

"FOOD FIGHT!!!!"
Eben McKay
QUOTE (toturi)
So... he should have yelled,"Shoot the Yakuza!"

That WOULD'VE worked, had the NPC allies of the runners not also been Yakuza. biggrin.gif Yeah, it was a complicated situation.
Eben McKay
QUOTE (inkspot)
The examples given regarding the commands to "Riot!" or "Get Naked!" don't really apply since the power states that "the target will use his next action to either carry out the command or stands confused", and "such commands carry no weight beyond the immediate impetus, and the affected characters will quickly reassert their wits, returning to their original course of action."

See, I know what you mean, but I think I'd disagree with the idea that the riot would last only a few seconds. The moment you yell "Riot!" the whole place is going to go nuts, and that kinda thing, once started, would be really hard to stop. The larger the crowd, the more stupid and dangerous it is. If most of the place started waving weapons around or attacking each other, even for a few seconds, the whole thing would snowball.

God, the damage a social adept can do!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012