Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drugs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Protagonist
I haven't seen this written anywhere, but I might've missed it.

Anyway, do the effects of drugs stack with each other? Could you take multiple doses of the same drug to increase the effect? (and increase the damage etc. from coming off of it as well?) I would assume yes, since it would let you be able to overdose, etc., but I'm curious if it's actually written somewhere.
Jaid
i wouldn't allow the same drug to stack with itself.

certain things i would allow to stack... mainly, bonuses to different attributes. i wouldn't allow bonuses to the same attribute from two different drugs, you'd only get the better of the two.

but especially, no way would i allow the same drug to stack... 3 doses of Jazz being better than wired 2 would be... upsetting to say the least. considering the designers seem to have almost gone out of their way to make it hard to get 4 IPs at chargen (the only way being adepts who blow almost all their magic on improving it, or by spending edge when you already have 3 IPs somewhere).
Kyoto Kid
...of course combining different drugs with different effects could be interesting. In the old FGU game Space Opera, there were rules for drug synergy, which could really mess characters up.
Draconis
As far as I know if you take more of the same drug the duration increases but the effects don't stack.

Why do you ask? I mean who wants to pop drugs like candy? You're more likely to get addicted then normal and you're increasing the chance of overdosing.

Our group screws around with some of the lighter stuff like Deepweed, Zen, and Ritalin.
We make some of the harder stuff for the Triads. It's good side profit.
Moon-Hawk
I think this is more aimed at someone who wants to stack, say, Jazz with Kamizaki. They have a lot of overlapping effects.
In my game, if someone wanted to stack drugs like that, I'd probably use something similar to the armor layering rules. i.e. Larger modifier plus half (round down) the lesser. So one drug that gives +3 Str and one that gives +2 would give +4 (=3+2/2). So still no way to get more than +1 initiative pass using existing drugs, but potentially possible to get a bit more of a bonus. Oh, and full penalties of all, of course.
DarkNataku
In my game, if someone wanted to stack drugs like that, I'd probably use something similar to the armor layering rules. i.e. Larger modifier plus half (round down) the lesser.

In SR4, multiple armour layers don't stack. You take the highest modifier for whatever type of damage is being inflicted and go with that alone.
I would do something similar. However, I'd also let the same drug stack for lessened returns, and just make the penalties go up. I don't have a huge problem with it, as it just gives me more opportunities to be a wicked, evil GM in areas concerning addiction and OD biggrin.gif
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (DarkNataku)
In SR4, multiple armour layers don't stack. You take the highest modifier for whatever type of damage is being inflicted and go with that alone.

DANG IT!
You're right, of course. Ugh, I'm still suffering from edition confusion. Harsh.

Total agreement on the GM wickedness and addiction, though.
DarkNataku
One thing I feel I should add on the drugs topic. I will never ever have any set of rules on how drugs work based on numbers. Numbers are predictable, and controlled. Drugs are anything but. I don't want it to work the same way two times in a row, so I try to leave numbers out of it. Even dice have a limited range of randomization.
eidolon
Stacking the same drug to extend duration might sound good, but realize that if you keep taking dose upon dose of anything, you're going to OD on it.
Lagomorph
Curiously, the answer was different a few months ago when I asked

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=10901
eidolon
Eh, different people giving their thoughts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012