Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun on the Orient Express
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Vhyserad
It's the sort of setting where you could expect to find a lot of high-powered corporate executives, organized crime figures, and European aristocrats. And its traditional route would take it across a lot of boundaries in Balkanized Europe.

So...

(1) Does it still exist in Shadowrun?
(2) Who would own it?
(3) Who would use it?
(4) Would it follow its traditional route?
(5) What security measures would it have?
(6) How would Shadowrunners get access to it

And optionally...

(7) Whodunnit? biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
yeah, except now it's a launch point for space planes to Z-O and it's on top of Mt. Kiliminjaro.

You could always try the Grand Tour if you're looking for something more political/intrigue.
Kyoto Kid
...last I recall, much of the Balkans are kind of a Merc vs. Muslim free-for-all.

Now a VR recreation, that could be a different story with some interesting twists.
eidolon
My quick thoughts before I go to sleep.

(1) Does it still exist in Shadowrun?

It does if you say it does. Canon? Who cares? wink.gif

(2) Who would own it?

Dunno, no books handy to use as the basis of assignment.

(3) Who would use it?

Jet-setting, sub-orbital flying, high powered mucky muck corp types take the train when there's enough time to enjoy the finer things in life.

I don't know its traditional route, to be honest. I'm more familiar with a loose concept and story of what the OE is like than I am with it itself.

(5) What security measures would it have?

Well, the train I used in a game a few months ago had satellites monitoring it, it had sensors in the track to report stoppage or track problems, it had a security mage and security decker in the main engine car, and the stations all had high rating MAD and 'ware detectors, as well as requiring slotting credsticks at multiple points to get on. The security was based on the idea that once the train was moving, it didn't have to be all that secure, because you're keeping the "bad guys" from getting on it in the first place.

Tell that to the mark they geeked. wink.gif

(6) How would Shadowrunners get access to it

Send the mage. No 'ware, no weapons, spend lots of money on a fake ID and you're golden. There are ways of getting the others on, of course.
Draconis
LMFAO! Our group did an Orient Express run recently and you just reminded me of it.
We where taking a trip from Vladivostok to Istanbul. Naturally during the run there was a murder so they rest of my team went about trying to find the culprit as they where pretty big suspects themselves. My character got sick of all the noise outside in the hall, he was trying to have some quality time with his assistant, so he eventually just sent a Force 8 spirit out to kill the passenger my team was talking to at the time. I had my suspicions but we had no proof. I frankly didn't care, luckily I was spot on and it was that dude, a shapeshifter that did it. One amusing close range firefight later and we bagged our cat, err man.
My character never did leave his cabin that entire trip.
Neruda's Ghost
Recently I used the Trans-Siberian scenario as a form of Intro/testing ground for potential shadowrunners before the campaign really began.

The Johnson contacted each player in Moscow, for a meeting in Vlad City in five days. He provides each with tickets to the train and specific restrictions about what magic and weaponry to bring along the ride.

Once the players are on their way, it quickly becomes apparent that they each have a corresponding NPC rival passenger onboard. The johnson sets an individually task to each player that must be completed by the time the train reaches Vlad city in five days. The corresponding shadowrunner who succeeded would then prove worthy to the employer.

In the case of the mage, he was competing to steal a potent fetish from a rich talismoger passenger. The decker had to be the first to access the security vault onboard the train. The St.samurai/Razor guys had to find and bring back proof of a rare para-creature during a half-day layover at Irkutsk.

Obviously, the players quickly solidified to help each other in their respective tasks, but there was a great deal of intrigue as NPC's got knocked off and the players wheren't sure "whodunnit", or if they were going to be next.

I suppose you could modify the scenario to tougher shadowrunner by increasing the amount of Red Guards onboard; adding more sophisticated security measures such as spirit or camera monitoring; or, to be really nasty, you could set opposing tasks to certain player shadowrunners.

There is great deal of information in the 'Smugglers Haven' sourcebook, but when in doubt use RL sources. There is lots of stuff on the web about the real Transiberian rail, such as maps and photos that you can use.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Vhyserad)

I wont speak for the other points, but no it wouldn't follow its traditional route. At least not the one to Istanbul. Going from the wiki page for it the Venice Simplon route should be operating fine, same for the Arlbourg route if you're going to Bucarest and down as far as Sofia if you take the southern line before you'd have to stop, likewise the current route that terminates at Vienna. On the Simplon Orient Express route you could probably get as far as Ljubljana in Slovenia since that country still seems to be about before you hit the clusterfuck that is the Balkans and you're stopped dead. And as for the original route to Varna I think you should be able to go all the way Varna and then catch a ferry to Istanbul, although why anyone with the money it would cost would want to go to Istanbul is a mystery to me.

Of the options I'd say your best bet would be the Venice-Simplon route or any of the ones that go to Vienna and have the journey end there if you want the super-rich and shady to use it. No-one would be stupid enough to try and run a high class service through the Balkans, that's just asking for someone to shove a volley of ATGM's through the carriage windows or force it to stop and then try and get onboard.
hyzmarca
How about the circa 1889 Orient Express as a mobile alchera/astral construct (a ghost train, of sorts) complete with passengers and employees who may or may not be real? Really, ATGMs aren't much of a threat to a train that possesses Immunity to Normal Weapons. The big problem comes when it vanishes in mid-route leaving the meat passengers with no train and probably no track.

Likewise, heavy magical protection (high force elementals or Free spirits and quickened naval-scale armor spells) and some high-tech mundane protection (turrets, cruise missiles, a spy satellite uplink with indirect targeting capabilities, snake-spine tentacles with hull cutters, NBC sealed cars). If you are using SR4 ally spirit rules you can make it a hybrid-merge to gift it with Immunity to Normal Weapons or you can just have a Great Form Plant Spirit possess it for both Immunity and Regeneration.
The chances of even the most powerful warlords taking down a train that is so equipped are relatively low.

It is certainly possible to make the train unassailable. Enchanting the cars and the track as a single homunculus/prepared vessel, equipping it with naval armor, and summoning a double-digit force regenerating spirit into it should be more than enough to ensure that the passangers will be delivered to their destinations both safely and on time as it prevents both attacks against the track and engine failures (since the whole thing would be one giant regenerating spirit the track would heal automatically and the spirit would be able to move the train along the track in the same way that a normal person flexes an arm).
But, any such solution would be very expensive and not at all cost effective.
DV8
QUOTE (Draconis)
LMFAO! Our group did an Orient Express run recently and you just reminded me of it.
We where taking a trip from Vladivostok to Istanbul.

The Orient Express never travelled between Istanbul and Vladivostok. The trans-Siberian Express did do a leg between Moscow and Vladivostok, iirc, but the Orient went from Paris to Istanbul.
Snow_Fox
People have already said what occurred to me- the Transsiberian rr. Exotic with out having to go through a war zone. people could take it becasue of the sense of adventure- the way rich kids go slumming in the barrens, more mature people go
to see the wild lands where maybe evil shamans plot and summon up storms. Of ocurse they do that in a well protected train loaded with luxuries.

For a run, look at the James Bond movie From Russia with Love.
Another

I would expect that movie gives a good example of what you could get with small cabins along one side of the car with a corridor running the length of the other side. I did that sort of ride once with my family years ago. Private room and toilet. and it was surprisingly comfortable.

High level muckety mucks might have a private, luxury car, at the end of the train.

The other way might be instead of a train, zeppelin.
2bit
VR recreation is a great angle.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Vhyserad)

I wont speak for the other points, but no it wouldn't follow its traditional route. At least not the one to Istanbul. Going from the wiki page for it the Venice Simplon route should be operating fine, same for the Arlbourg route if you're going to Bucarest and down as far as Sofia if you take the southern line before you'd have to stop, likewise the current route that terminates at Vienna. On the Simplon Orient Express route you could probably get as far as Ljubljana in Slovenia since that country still seems to be about before you hit the clusterfuck that is the Balkans and you're stopped dead. And as for the original route to Varna I think you should be able to go all the way Varna and then catch a ferry to Istanbul, although why anyone with the money it would cost would want to go to Istanbul is a mystery to me.

...at this point (since SoE has left the Balkans wide open through 2064) I have Croatia occupied by Serbia. Currently, Zagreb, Vocin and Vukovar are hotbeds for guerilla activity by Resistance against the Serbian forces who in turn have outside backing. The northern Serbian Border is also closed, and Serbia itself has become a dictatorship. MET2000 also has a large presence in southern Austria and along the Slovenian Frontier with Croatia which has the Beograd government "concerned".

Not the place I would think of going on holiday, at least not without my Sec Armour, an Ares Alpha (with integrated GL), a dozen or so clips of APDS ammo and a couple cases of IPE HE air timed Mini Grenades.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...at this point (since SoE has left the Balkans wide open through 2064)

Not quite, check out the Map of Europe on page 14 of Shadows of Europe or even better the map on page 98 in the Italian Confederation chapter for a larger map of the Balkans. There was some information written about the Balkans for SoE but thanks to a harddrive meltdown and space constraints they weren't able to use it from what Peter's said.
Draconis
QUOTE (DV8)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Oct 17 2006, 09:10 AM)
We where taking a trip from Vladivostok to Istanbul.

The Orient Express never travelled between Istanbul and Vladivostok. The trans-Siberian Express did do a leg between Moscow and Vladivostok, iirc, but the Orient went from Paris to Istanbul.

The route for us wasn't the same in 2070 because of borders and conflicts. Also I believe we did take a couple train switches at the end possibly the beginning as well. We chose the "we don't want to get our asses blown off in eastern europe" route. But it was a minor point as the run was done by then.

SuperFly
There was a run on the Orient Express that the #S-Run Community did years ago. As I recall it ended rather messily.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...at this point (since SoE has left the Balkans wide open through 2064)

Not quite, check out the Map of Europe on page 14 of Shadows of Europe or even better the map on page 98 in the Italian Confederation chapter for a larger map of the Balkans. There was some information written about the Balkans for SoE but thanks to a harddrive meltdown and space constraints they weren't able to use it from what Peter's said.

...it would be interesting to see the additional information on the region if it was recovered.

According to the writeup which did appear in SoE, it was implied that the region was pretty much in flux, with factional disputes, organised governments rising and falling almost overnight, and much of the area being a "mercenary's playground".

With only the brief paragraph or two in SoE to go on, I devioted a good deal of time into background research and writing up of the setting (including historical studies into the RL ethnic conflict bwtween the Serbs and Croats through the 1990's war) prior to the campaign I ran. This included a historical and political outline for the the northern Balkans - Serbia, Croatia, Dalmatia (formerly part of Croatia in RL) and Slovenia from post Euro War era to the campaign's start (late 2062).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012