Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The biggest spell ever
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dentris
Ok, imagine a hermetic mage with a magic rating of 12, an initiation grade of 6, with geomancy and centering metamagic, a summoning focus rating 12, a centering focus rating 12 and 3 sustaining focus rating 9. I know that's a lot of karma, but i just want to create the biggest spell ever. He also has a summoning skill (spirit of man) skill rating of 7 (+2) and a Dark King mentor spirit (+2 to spirit of man)

A mage first boosts his willpower, logic and body to 9, his racial maximum through augment attributes spells and sustain them with his sustaining focus.

This mage find a rating 6 domain and change it to fit his tradition with his geomancy metamagic.

Now, this mage summons a spirit of man rating 24 (twice his magic) in a domain aspected towards his tradition. The spirit rolls 24 dice and get, on average, 8 hits. The spellcaster rolls 41 dice and gets, on average, 13 hits. That's enough for 5 services.

He resist a drain value of 16. With his augmented attributes and his centering metamagic, he rolls 36 dice, and gets, on average, 12 hits. He only suffers 4 boxes of damage.

The spirit of man knows at least one of the mage's spell. In this case, let's say he knows Fireball (Stunball would also bo good, but i like flashy spells). He then casts the fireball with at the maximum rating, which is twice the spirit's magic, or 48. He rolls a total of 48 dice for his spellcasting check, but since he trully wants to make the spell powerful, he uses a point of edge, increasing his dice pool to 60. He gets, on average, 20 hits. Half of them are sixes, thus are rerolled, and one third of the reroll are a success, or 3, for a great total of 23 hits. Since it is not impressive enough, the spirit burns one edge point and reroll all the non-successes. He rolls 40 dice and gets, on average, 13 hits. Half of them are sixes, thus rerolled, and one third of the rerolled are sucesses, thus two additional sucesses. 15 new successes are thus added to the first 23, for a great total of 38 successes.

The spell now has a final DV of 86. Soak that!

PS: The spirit now has to resist the drain of the spell, which is 29. He rolls 48 dice, and just to be sure spends one point of edge, for a great total of 60 dice. Using the same logic as above, the final result is 23 hits. He suffered 6 boxes of damage, but since his physical damage track has 20 boxes, he can cast again...
DireRadiant
Been done. All the math. Several times.

No matter what you do, you will glitch sometime though.
MadDogMaddux
I thought Force limited the damage value of the spell? i.e. he'd get a maximum of 24 hits on his roll, casting at 2x times his Magic attribute.
Mistwalker
He used edge, so the limit of force # of hits is gone.
Dentris
And even then, the maximum number of hits would be 48(the force of the spell)
Fortune
QUOTE (Dentris)
And even then, the maximum number of hits would be 48(the force of the spell)

As was said, the use of Edge bypasses that restriction.
Mistwalker
p 172
This limitation does not apply to edge dice that are used to boost a spell.

I read that to mean that if you use edge dice to cast a spell, the number of successes that count are no longer limited to the force of the spell.
Lagomorph
I think edge can only be used once on a roll, don't have a book though.
Mistwalker
If you use edge before you roll, you get to re-roll all the sixes again, etc.. until no more sixes rolled.
James McMurray
Given that you can add 1 to his initiate rating and then 1 to his magic, it's not the biggest spell ever. Still pretty big, but after having spent 500,000 karma (or whatever it actually is) he's better be able to toss a big nuke.
laughingowl
1) EDGE DICE Aren't limited by force of spell. (but the rest are)

So the most successes he could have is 48 +12 (presuming all 12 edge dice are sucesses)

2) Does anyting in the rules say a spirit will use EDGE on command. To me 'edge' is free will, pushing the 'extra' etc... No way to compel something to use it. While you can 'order' the spirit to cast the most powerfull firewall it can... you cant 'order' it to spend edge.

3) Rest assured if the spirit can use edge ONCE summoned it most certainly can use edge to RESIST the summons.

The spirit rolls 24 dice and get, on average, 8 hits

but since he trully wants to make the resit powerful, he uses a point of edge, increasing his dice pool to 36, with an average of 12 hits (with 6 of them being sixes so re-rolled for another 2 sucesses)

Since it is not impressive enough, the spirit burns one edge point and reroll all the non-successes. He rolls 24 dice and gets, on average, 8 hits (with 4 of these being sixes so re-rolled for another sucess)

He resist a drain value of 46. With his augmented attributes and his centering metamagic, he rolls 36 dice, as this is not enough he burns edge for extra dice (7 he is a human with max right) for a total of 53 dice. for an average of 18 (half of these sixes so 9 sixes for an extra three sucess)

Still feeling the pain the mage spends edge to re-roll all failures. 35 dice rolled for an average of 12 (half of these sixes for an additional 2) for a total of 35.

The mage takes 11 boxe of physical damage. so better hope the mage has atleast an 8 body!

Big D
If you're gonna go to all that trouble, blow all that karma...

Then why not just get yourself a "wimpy" teenage-level ally? It'd be a lot cheaper than all the foci...

Heck of a lot more useful, and if you save the karma for all the skills and spells you want so you don't have to do it again, you can afford to burn a point or two of edge in a single really nasty binding.

As someone (Frank?) pointed out, when you get more powerful than a tank but less powerful than a nuke, the numbers become less relevant.
Cheops
QUOTE (laughingowl)
1) EDGE DICE Aren't limited by force of spell. (but the rest are)

So the most successes he could have is 48 +12 (presuming all 12 edge dice are sucesses)

2) Does anyting in the rules say a spirit will use EDGE on command. To me 'edge' is free will, pushing the 'extra' etc... No way to compel something to use it. While you can 'order' the spirit to cast the most powerfull firewall it can... you cant 'order' it to spend edge.

3) Rest assured if the spirit can use edge ONCE summoned it most certainly can use edge to RESIST the summons.

The spirit rolls 24 dice and get, on average, 8 hits

but since he trully wants to make the resit powerful, he uses a point of edge, increasing his dice pool to 36, with an average of 12 hits (with 6 of them being sixes so re-rolled for another 2 sucesses)

Since it is not impressive enough, the spirit burns one edge point and reroll all the non-successes. He rolls 24 dice and gets, on average, 8 hits (with 4 of these being sixes so re-rolled for another sucess)

He resist a drain value of 46. With his augmented attributes and his centering metamagic, he rolls 36 dice, as this is not enough he burns edge for extra dice (7 he is a human with max right) for a total of 53 dice. for an average of 18 (half of these sixes so 9 sixes for an extra three sucess)

Still feeling the pain the mage spends edge to re-roll all failures. 35 dice rolled for an average of 12 (half of these sixes for an additional 2) for a total of 35.

The mage takes 11 boxe of physical damage. so better hope the mage has atleast an 8 body!

Well...as far as the spirit and using edge here's what I'd do as a player and a GM.

Player: I already have a specialty in summoning Spirits of Man, my mentor spirit likes spirits of man, and I also take spirit affinity: man. I now have three different things that I've spent points on to allow my character to know how to summon spirits of man in a better and probably friendlier way.

GM: you have all those things so you know how to frame your negotiation properly, you know what these spirits like and how they act, plus they like you and your mentor on top of it all. Spirit doesn't use edge to resist you and if, when you command it to do something, you say that it is very important that the spirit succeeds then it will do everything it can to succeed (i.e. spend edge). Plus you got 5 services out of it so you could always burn 4 successes to create one critical service which would mean that the spirit expends everything it can short of its destruction to help you.
FrankTrollman
Edge Dice get the rule of 6, there's literally no limit to how many times you could keep rolling 6s and getting extra dice that will also give you more dice when you roll 6s.

With just a Force 1 spell and a single Edge die getting added on you could theoretically simply roll a 6 over and over again forever. It's uncapped at that point and while stupidly unlikely to exceed the numbers you've outlined, it's theoretically possible. A Force 1 spirit of man could theoretically throw a spell larger than what you've outlined.

It isn't going to happen, but theoretically it could.

-Frank
will_rj
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Edge Dice get the rule of 6, there's literally no limit to how many times you could keep rolling 6s and getting extra dice that will also give you more dice when you roll 6s.

With just a Force 1 spell and a single Edge die getting added on you could theoretically simply roll a 6 over and over again forever. It's uncapped at that point and while stupidly unlikely to exceed the numbers you've outlined, it's theoretically possible. A Force 1 spirit of man could theoretically throw a spell larger than what you've outlined.

It isn't going to happen, but theoretically it could.

-Frank

Well, it will happen if you just try it hard enough.

And by "hard enough" i mean something in the lines of 6^100 tries. I´m not an expert in the laws of magic, but i´m pretty sure the law of large numbers do apply to it.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (laughingowl)

Street magic is pretty clear on when spirits use edge to resist the summons. If the summoner has a history of being bad to previosu summoned servants for example. It shouldn't just be GM whim. Spirit bane should apply, but it's unlikely that a summoner would summon spirits he has an issue with.

As for using edge, I'd say it uses a service. Don't have my boko on me ATM, but I believe more intelligent spirits use edge as they feel appropriate to complete their tasks and discharge their service to the summoner.
Dentris
Whether the spirit uses edge or not, it's up to the GM. My point was that, theorically, under the current ruling, the highest possible spell DV (if you keep the 1 hit per 3 dice ratio) is 84. If anybody can find a way to get more, please prove me wrong.
James McMurray
Like I said earlier, just initiate again and then increase your magic again. Every time you do it you'll add 2 force to your max.
Dentris
You can't initiate past grade 6. Unless I'm mistaken.
Fortune
QUOTE (Dentris)
You can't initiate past grade 6. Unless I'm mistaken.

Really? I must have missed (or, knowing me, forgotten) that little tidbit. Do you have a page reference, by any chance?
James McMurray
Your initiate grade cannot be higher than your magic rating. Since you can increase your magic rating by initiating, you can increase your grade cap as well. It's really freaking expensive in terms of karma cost, but theoretically initiate grade is uncapped, as is magic rating.
Fortune
QUOTE (James McMurray)
Your initiate grade cannot be higher than your magic rating. Since you can increase your magic rating by initiating, you can increase your grade cap as well. It's really freaking expensive in terms of karma cost, but theoretically initiate grade is uncapped, as is magic rating.

Danke. That's what I thought. smile.gif
Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Dentris)
He then casts the fireball with at the maximum rating, which is twice the spirit's magic, or 48.

Thinking about it...can a spirit overcast at all using the innate spell power?

After all, it isn't really using a spellcasting skill - just another spirit power - which otherwise are used at a rating equal to the spirit's force.
CradleWorm
I thought you could only use 1 edge point per test.

That would mean you either re-roll failures or you add your edge in dice and get rule of six, not both.

Am I wrong here?
James McMurray
You're right. You can only spend edge once per roll.
hyzmarca
You can't spend two points of edge on a single roll but you can spend one point and then burn one point on a single roll. The difference is that burnt edge doesn't regenerate. You have to buy it back with karma. However, burning edge doesn't allow you to reroll. It can allow you to get an automatic critical success (if such a success is possible) or survive certain death.

What he should do is burn edge to get a critical success, which would give him 4 net hits over the dragon's resistance test regardless of how many successes the dragon rolled (assuming that he has [dragon's hits]+4 dice).
James McMurray
Please don't start the Critical success does not equal 4 net hits debate again. It's no fun without Synner and Cain.
Slithery D
I'm shocked than anyone agreed with Cain. For shame, Hyzie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012