Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Campaign models
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Inu
The campaign model most supported in Shadowrun is, naturally, the professional shadowrunning team. Get your jobs from a Mr Johnson, do the job, get paid, upgrade gear, do it all over again.

But there are variants out there, and also entirely different models altogether. A traditional campaign could be based around working for a particular employer, or one run can lead naturally to the next (or both: see Harlequin). The group might have a particular enemy (taking down Mitsuhama, one onion-layer at a time).

My game is based around gang life in Redmond. A more civilised, neighbourhood defence-oriented gang. The shadowrunning aspects come in with regard to occasionally earning some extra nuyen. Later on, the PCs will be driven out of their home and need to unravel the conspiracy, which will involve much shadowrunning action. However, most of the 'runs' will be self-motivated, with few Mr Johnsons present.

In the past, I ran a cop game, based around Lone Star. That was fun too.

So what are your campaign models? Are your characters mercenaries for hire, sailing where the nuyen blows them? Do they find targets, hit them themselves, then fence the goods afterwards? Do they have an aim? Are they shadowrunners at all?

Tell us all about it. smile.gif
wargear
We tried a gang level game, but having just come off a game where we had been ex-special forces, we just couldn't get into the right mindset. Our gang operated far to smoothly and efficiently.

Otherwise it's mostly just the usual SR oriented game.
eidolon
My preferred model is building the entire "campaign" around the characters.

I have the players make characters, and then I get them working together. Now, unlike a lot of GMs, when I say "working together" I don't mean "with no problems and they love each other, and they function perfectly", I mean "I get them all working on a job together". Then, I let them feel each other out, get to know each other, and we go from there.

To make this work, I make heavy use of NPCs. What I mean, is I have the players build plenty of possible story tidbits into their characters through who they have as contacts. Also, during the game, the way I run contacts is much looser, and in my opinion more realistic, than the "pay 5000¥ and call once a week. Anyone they meet and spend more than a few seconds talking to is a potential contact, if they choose to follow it up, just like in RL. These things help take what normally might be a "mage and a sammy" and turn them into real people, and in my experience, the more like real people you can make the characters, the more likely that the story will write itself.

Also, since my approach is to make the characters as realistic (as people) as possible, it precludes everyone being a "professional" shadowrunner. In my games, semantically everyone that chooses to run the shadows to the exclusion or in place of getting a "real job" is a "professional shadowrunner", because running the shadows is indeed their profession. For example, a "runner bar" isn't where "hard core professional awesome dudes that are totally hyper successful runners hang out", it's where you can go and expect that you'll have a higher than average chance of finding a fixer, other runners, etc.

Shadowrunner isn't some moniker that you aspire to, it's just what you are by default. So a character might say "hey, I hear a bunch of runners hang out at X", but they certainly wouldn't have any awe in their voice. Rep is rep, and there are different levels (not mechanical or codified) of how "professional" any given runner might be, but there's nothing like "ganger -> amatuer -> shadowrunner" or anything.

Other than this heavy focus on the player/character wants and desires, and the taking the reverence away from the label "shadowrunner", it's really not all that different than any SR game. They still get jobs from fixers, do them, and get paid. There's just a lot more "hey, my buddy needs us to do him a favor, and he can't pay much, are any of you interested" and a lot less "get job, run, get paid, buy gear, get job, run, get paid, buy gear". Jobs come from everywhere, from anyone, and at any time.

Also, I have campaign in quotes because with this style of game, usually if there's an overarching plot at all, it's very loose, and the players may or may not ever become involved with it, based on character choices.
blakkie
On saturday we played our first session of a new campaign using what you would probably class as non-tradition. It was actually our second session getting together. The first session was for creating characters. Basically I put it on the players to define the campaign. I got them to write down 3 core motivations or beliefs that they wanted their characters to be about. Then we jostled and worked on those till we had a common thread. We also narrowed down where in the world we'd be playing.

The result was a bunch of PCs with a vengance against Ares playing in Hong Kong. I don't know if you've read Runner's Havens but in 2070 (we're playing SR4) their is a loose anti-corp/government reform movement called 9x9.

At the start of this last session a player volunteered their character to be basically a defacto 9x9 operator. They might not actually see themselves as 9x9, or call themselves that yet. But from the outside people would likely apply that label to them. Play kicked off with a feeler I just made up on the spot calling him and tipping him off to a clandestine Ares shipment happening later that day that the PC might be interested in disrupting and asking for payment for supplying info. Payment was to have a frank and open discussion with the feeler's sister's landlord about tenent's rights.

So their first run has no fixer, no Johnson, and no budget. This is likely to be the norm, we'll see. I'm currently working on getting the session logs ready for putting up on a blog, hopefully for tonight.

I'm also using a system of rules I worked out to replace tracking explicit nuyen balances, Contact rules, and Lifestyle costs. A lot of it is loosely adapted from the Circles and Resources in Burning Wheel, but with changes to bring it down to just one Attribute (Clout) and have it fit better with Shadowrun, obviously using a different dice system. If you are familiar with the game at all you'll also notice that we're using campaign creation concepts from there as well. This provides rules for, among other things, adhoc contacts.

P.S. This isn't entirely unlike what eidolon is talking about. Very PC driven, and as such requires a lot of flexibility.
fistandantilus4.0
I like getting a new group of either brand new or barely used characters together in to a group and have them do a few regular runs before I start tying them together. Introduce a number of NPC contacts ,build up the folks they know, get some locations in there, and then start building.

As an example, in our current game , started with a group of characters that had been on separate runs before (avg was 3), then brought them all in together in the same city. A few were from Seattle on the run, one from Boston, had pissed up a few vamps, and one lived in New Orleans where the new game is based.

I think an important part of a game is the things that happen between the shadowruns. Build up plot points off of npc's that they know, conflicts, old enemies, or that good ol' entrepreneurial spirit. Let the characters do some self motivated things, and just wing it. It makes for a fuller game IMO.
eidolon
QUOTE (blakkie)
I got them to write down 3 core motivations or beliefs that they wanted their characters to be about.

Ha, I was about to say "that's really cool, and reminds me of one of the ideas in Burning Wheel" when I got to
QUOTE (blakkie)
A lot of it is loosely adapted from the Circles and Resources in Burning Wheel

There's a lot of stuff from BW that seems like it'd make great additions to SR, and I haven't even read any BW stuff. I was thinking about doing what you're doing with the beliefs stuff, blakkie. How's it working out?

Also, would you post or pm or whatever the mods for resource and nuyen tracking you're using?
fistandantilus4.0
heck, while you're at it, could you explain a few thigns about Burning Wheel, perhaps just the few things you've brought over. I know for example there's a system for spells gone wrong, but that's about it, and it seems to have some interesting things for bringing in to SR.
blakkie
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 17 2006, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE (blakkie)
I got them to write down 3 core motivations or beliefs that they wanted their characters to be about.

Ha, I was about to say "that's really cool, and reminds me of one of the ideas in Burning Wheel" when I got to
QUOTE (blakkie)
A lot of it is loosely adapted from the Circles and Resources in Burning Wheel

There's a lot of stuff from BW that seems like it'd make great additions to SR, and I haven't even read any BW stuff.

Best $30CDN gaming purchase I ever made. Even if you never play it, just to read it. Especially for SR4 given that they both used fixed TN d6 systems and BW is a demo on how to get the very best out of such a system.
I was thinking about doing what you're doing with the beliefs stuff, blakkie.  How's it working out?

So far I haven't tied it that tightly into karma awards. I am loosely factoring it in, but at this point Karma awards are being done a lot closer to SR style. I'll probably instead end up using the beliefs for Edge refresh.

Unfortunately although these are all SR players, this is there first time with SR4. So they don't understand the full power of Edge, yet. The Edge around the table is 2, 2, 3, 5, and one of those 2's is a Human (Technomancer) eek.gif .

Also of the 4 players none have gone through the BW character creation process, 2 of them played The Sword demo session, and a third one has read about the first 70 pages in the book. So the idea of really drilling in on Beliefs is foreign to them. I'd rather not teach two systems at once, especially when I'm still feeling out how to meld the two.

But I will say so far it looks like it worked really well to define the campaign. The only cavet is that the 4th player was NOT involved in that, infact I didn't even have a chance to talk to him before he showed up at the session. Plus he's also a very old-school loot/advancement treadmill centric player. So it is going to take a lot to build that bridge.
Also, would you post or pm or whatever the mods for resource and nuyen tracking you're using?

The plan right now is to playtest through about 3 more sessions to do the tweaks before releasing even a draft of it (in PDF form) upon the unsuspecting public. wink.gif I'm still a bit uneasy about all the Threshold modifiers for making/getting hold of contacts (BW Circles test), especially for existing contacts. I also want to run the document past someone I know for a quick editor-type pass as a backup check....and I haven't even talked to them about doing it for me. wink.gif

P.S. A further small complication is one of the players is playing a Technomancer, which I'd not seen in actual play yet.
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:54 AM)
heck, while you're at it, could you explain a few thigns about Burning Wheel, perhaps just the few things you've brought over. I know for example there's a system for spells gone wrong, but that's about it, and it seems to have some interesting things for bringing in to SR.

The system seems heavily influenced by the author's SR GMing background. The magic system is roughly similar in that it uses similar range definitions, extra hits means better effects, ongoing spells are sustained with each sustained spell inflicts a penalty. However sustaining spells isn't automatic continous, you have to check every few hours or when you get hurt. If you fail casting or fail a sustaining check the spell gets perverted based on a 2 die roll. However that is all based on the defining components of the spell, which isn't readily transferable to SR....except for the really bad result of ripping open a portal and having an demon step through. wink.gif

The game itself is designed as a general purpose fantasy game, but the author originally started out making it as a cyberpunk/dystopian game. As well they have released free setting extensions for Dune and a post-apocolyptic with a bit of offbeat magic. Also a few people are using it for Star Wars. So having things that seem like they'd fit SR isn't that surprising.

That said Circles and Resources are far and away the best and easiest fits for bringing the actual mechanics over. Which is why I'm stealling them back for Shadowrun. wink.gif

P.S. An interesting thing is the Burning Empires game that was derived from Burning Wheel. It's a sci-fi game that handles modern and futuristic combat including vehicles. But it's built not as a general game per say, but as a licensed game for the Iron Empires graphic novels. As such the rules asis are designed to produce a result that reads like the books.
eidolon
QUOTE (blakkie)
The plan right now is to playtest through about 3 more sessions to do the tweaks before releasing even a draft of it (in PDF form) upon the unsuspecting public.

Right on. Then I'll have to convert your conversions for SR3. biggrin.gif

If you still need someone to take a look at it for editing, I'd be willing, if it's not too dependant on which version of rules I know. Half of what I'm doing at work is editing and proofing stuff, so I'm used to it. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (eidolon)
QUOTE (blakkie)
The plan right now is to playtest through about 3 more sessions to do the tweaks before releasing even a draft of it (in PDF form) upon the unsuspecting public.

Right on. Then I'll have to convert your conversions for SR3. biggrin.gif

You'd be far better off to spend your time reading Burning Wheel. smile.gif But hey, in the true spirit of SR3 just tack it on as another subsystem that doesn't work like any other part of the game. SR3 asis uses fixed TN in places already. Currently I'm NOT using injury penalities for Clout related rolls, and the use of Edge has very limited benefits when buying things. Plus you don't use karma to buy up Clout.
If you still need someone to take a look at it for editing, I'd be willing, if it's not too dependant on which version of rules I know.  Half of what I'm doing at work is editing and proofing stuff, so I'm used to it. smile.gif

I might take you up on that in a few weeks. Although I'm still going to try run it past someone with a solid knowledge of SR4 because that's the intended target.
eidolon
QUOTE (blakkie)
I'm still going to try run it past someone with a solid knowledge of SR4 because that's the intended target.

Probably a better idea. wink.gif
imperialus
As a player in Blakkies game, I'll pipe in my 2 nuyen.gif . So far I quite like the setup. my character is an elvin face/mage who works as a company man for the reminants of CATco.

My only real concern with the alternet nuyen system is it can make larger purchaces VERY difficult. With a clout of 3 I can buy anything under 500 nuyen.gif without batting an eye but if I want something that's 520 nuyen.gif there is a very real possibility that I could semipermenantly loose a point of clout. Havn't had any big purchaces to make yet though so perhaps my concern is overstated. I'll know better when it comes time to actually roll the dice.

On the other hand I love the idea of using clout for contacts. Especially as a face it lets me hunt for contacts as I need them on a case by case basis. It was made more interesting by the fact that when I was doing some legwork I botched the roll and the guy I met up with tried to report my intrest in the shipment to his boss. Fortunatly I passed my perception roll, kidnapped him, and managed to disuade him from ratting us out but it adds an interesting double edged element to any meeting. Right now it's obvious that my character is fairly new to the shadow scene in HK by the fact that he's looking for information from some pretty poor sources but hopefully after I manage a few reliable connections I'll be able to go to my meets without quite as much paranoia.
fistandantilus4.0
could you explain "clout" a bit?
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (blakkie)
The system seems heavily influenced by the author's SR GMing background. The magic system is roughly similar in that it uses similar range definitions, extra hits means better effects, ongoing spells are sustained with each sustained spell inflicts a penalty. However sustaining spells isn't automatic continous, you have to check every few hours or when you get hurt. If you fail casting or fail a sustaining check the spell gets perverted based on a 2 die roll. However that is all based on the defining components of the spell, which isn't readily transferable to SR....except for the really bad result of ripping open a portal and having an demon step through. wink.gif

The game itself is designed as a general purpose fantasy game, but the author originally started out making it as a cyberpunk/dystopian game. As well they have released free setting extensions for Dune and a post-apocolyptic with a bit of offbeat magic. Also a few people are using it for Star Wars. So having things that seem like they'd fit SR isn't that surprising.

If I recall correctly, the creator of Burning Wheel posted on RPG.Net that he was heavily inspired by SR when he made BW. Some of the mechanics he used with BW specifically addressed criticisms he had with SR's pre-SR4 mechanics.
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 17 2006, 12:37 PM)
could you explain "clout" a bit?

I'm assuming working SR4 knowledge, in a nutshell>>

Clout is an special Attribute. During character creation you purchase it up from zero (unlike other Attributes which are purchased from 1) at a rate of 5 BP for the first point, 10 BP for the second, 15 BP for the third.

When you try to buy something you roll Clout + Negotiation against a Threshold which is the cost of the item. It is a log scale so Threshold 1 is 100 nuyen.gif , 2 is 200 nuyen.gif , 3 500 nuyen.gif , 4 1000 nuyen.gif , 5 2000 nuyen.gif ..... If your Clout is the same size as the Threshold you don't even have to roll, it's like chump change for you.

If you fail to reach the Threshold you have a penalty applied to any future attempts equal to the number of hits you missed the Threshold by. If your previous roll attempt was less than 18 hours prior then you automatically add 1 die to your current penalty total before rolling. There are rules for multiple characters pooling to buy purchases.

Run payments and gaining cash in other ways are translated into removing any outstanding penalty to purchasing rolls with the surplus available as a one-time use bonus dice for attempting to purchase something. Also for really large amounts you might instead be able to up your Clout.

For getting hold of someone you either give the name of someone you've met before or you give a rough description of the type of person you want to get hold of. Then you specify how soon you need to get hold of them. This creates the Threshold. You roll Clout + Ettiquette (if you have a penalty to purchasing it does NOT apply here). If you hit the Threshold you've found them. If you don't then either you didn't find them, or at GM's option you find them but they are mad at you, want to kill you, are looking to stab you in the back, or something like that.

If you successfully get ahold of the same person multiple times they become a fixed Contact and are much easier to get hold of. You may purchase a fixed contact during character creation, but they are expensive (currently tentatively costing 3BP/Clout, see bottom paragraph for relavence).

Clout also defines your Lifestyle. Clout 0 is Street, 1 is Squatter, etc. You can also split your Clout for this purpose so at Clout 3 you can have one Medium OR one Low and one Squatter. No monthly Lifestyle payments, they are all considered permanent. If a Lifestlye is compromised it takes weeks or months for it to become reestablish, likely at a new location.

Clout is also defined for people you get hold of and in that case used to determine what quality of goods they can supply you with. (Replaces Availability).
blakkie
QUOTE (imperialus @ Oct 17 2006, 12:04 PM)
My only real concern with the alternet nuyen system is it can make larger purchaces VERY difficult.

So steal it like the criminal neophyte spook scum that you are. nyahnyah.gif For better results give me advanced notice that your characters will be looking for it.
It was made more interesting by the fact that when I was doing some legwork I botched the roll and the guy I met up with tried to report my intrest in the shipment to his boss.  Fortunatly I passed my perception roll, kidnapped him, and managed to disuade him from ratting us out but it adds an interesting double edged element to any meeting.

Kudos to you for keeping the player/character info separate and going to see him by yourself even though you knew you missed the roll.
Right now it's obvious that my character is fairly new to the shadow scene in HK by the fact that he's looking for information from some pretty poor sources but hopefully after I manage a few reliable connections I'll be able to go to my meets without quite as much paranoia.

Mechanically speaking you were attempting something fairly tough on a tight time schedule, rolled crap, and didn't spend your piddly little Edge to try make it. nyahnyah.gif So I adjusted where Jean came up with the guy accordingly. "Some drunk guy I ran into in a bar last month that was on an alcohol fueled rant about his boss at Ares." worked for me. vegm.gif

P.S. We didn't really have time at the session, but I wanted to talk to you about your mage. See Synner's post in "How would a Catholic Magician Work?" on the SR4 forum. Since you already built him to as a capable conjurer. For some reason I missed that, my bad since I had Street Magic and you didn't. We'll have to figure out how this fits. For one I think there might be some conciquences in the future for a non-Sylvestrine bossing around angels. It seems to be a bit much to fit "ordained priest with a special nod from the Pope" into your background. wink.gif Think about it, we'll talk later.
fistandantilus4.0
So basically clout replaces charisma for getting items or legwork to find people then?
blakkie
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 17 2006, 01:58 PM)
So basically clout replaces charisma for getting items or legwork to find people then?

For finding them, yes. Sort of, since there aren't really much in the way of canon rules for getting hold of people that aren't on your Contact list. Which was a big part of my motivation for doing this to start with.

For dealing with people once you find them, no. For purchasing something Clout does though take the place of explicit cash funds and Negotiation is added into the roll to represent the prior Cha+Negotiation roll. For any other roll, including a Negotiation Test to get better pay from a Johnson you still use Cha. Incidentally for the later there are specific rules for how this affects the die bonus you recieve from the job payment.

EDIT: Clout represents your social and financial network. I chose that name very purposely for the two slang meanings it has. The older one I grew up with was that Clout was social, often political, wealth. However 'clout' is also a newer US urban slang term for actual cash.
blakkie
I did leave out a few details in that short synopsis.

For example Clout can also be used for other legwork activities such as trying track down someone that might not want to talk to you. Such as finding who it was that keyed your car outside the Dante's Inferno. Someone could be looking for you for similar reasons. In both cases you roll an Opposed Clout Test with modifiers and potentially Helping dice from other tests such as Shadowing or Knowledge Tests. There are also options for using Skills other than Etiquette for that. But if you are using say Intimidate there could be some blowback, especially if you fail.

But how freaking S.L.Jackson/Dirty Harry cool is that that you use Intimidate+Clout to go around kicking in doors and teeth till you find the mutha' that did you wrong. cool.gif
fistandantilus4.0
It's interesting, I like it. Now you said that the build goes up to 3 at chargen. Can it be raised the same as normal attributes? Different cost perhaps, or do you jsut factor in street cred after chargen? I'm interested in trying this out so I'm just looking for some details.
blakkie
Some of the very high levels might not be appropriate for the tone of some campaigns, so the GM might have a ceiling set for tone. But generally it goes basically as high as you are willing to pay. But it gets very costly because of the triangular series. For example Clout 4 cost 5+10+15+20= 50BP. That's a really big chunk for a standard 400BP character. But if you were playing 500BP characters it's fairly feasible for a specialized face character, you might even be willing to lay out the 75 BP for Clout 5.
fistandantilus4.0
Sorry, what I meant was, after character creation, once play has begun, can clout be raised, and if so, what is the cost? Or do you just add in street cred after char gen?
imperialus
which is why, dispite being the team face my character only has a clout of 3. I had it at 4 but it was too big a sacrifice to make, and I needed the BP's for other stuff. Though if I end up tweaking the character (due to the issues surrounding trying to boss around and archangel and not getting turned into a piller of salt) and lowering my summoning skills I might just scrape together an extra 20 BP if blakkie will allow it. smokin.gif

As for raising clout, it's really difficult. You can only raise clout with the bonus dice you recive for completeing a run and it has to be a pretty substancial number to permanently affect your clout, sorta like permanently buying a lifestyle I guess. I think blakkie is still trying to work out the specifics himself so I'm not sure if he can give you an answer. In short though, no, you can't raise clout with Karma like other attributes.
blakkie
1 - 20,000
2 - 100,000
3 - 1/2 million
4 - 2 million

Or as a special longterm goal accomplished. Conditions may vary, talk to your GM for details. wink.gif

Keep in mind that Clout 5 is the equivalent of a permanent Luxury Lifestyle and for him a 2000 nuyen.gif suit is like buying a pack of gum. Clout 6 can be used for a new Lifestyle level I added, Opulent. Batman has roughly a Clout 6.

You need a 10,000,000 nuyen.gif payout in game to raise your Clout to a 5, or raising the Clout to a 5 can be a special BIG arc goal from your GM. The chart I have in the document currently doesn't even list the price for Clout 6, but if you extrapolated the chart it would be 50,000,000. That's like taking over a small company to get that.

As you can see a lot of these would likely require the team to work together to get that sort of Clout for the one of them.
blakkie
QUOTE (imperialus @ Oct 17 2006, 02:43 PM)
Though if I end up tweaking the character (due to the issues surrounding trying to boss around and archangel and not getting turned into a piller of salt)...

Pussy. nyahnyah.gif I'm not going to crucify you. You just have to know you are operating outside the Pope's official dictates. You know, like a sexually active homosexual priest. In fact I think that's what I'll refer to Jean Lee as from now, "that fucking homo-monk". rollin.gif

EDIT: Not that there is anything wrong with that. *cough*
eidolon
Clout sounds interesting, but it also sounds like the complete opposite of how I handle a lot of the stuff you use it for.

I dump a lot of mechanics when it comes to running contacts, people in general (I don't use the enemy rules at all, for example), etc., so using clout would just be replacing one set of mechanics that I don't use with another. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
Well, my bread and butter stuff I usually do is try to set up a tactical challenge for the PCs and not tailor the content of the game to the character backgrounds at all. I believe that the world is more believable if it exists independently of the PCs rather than if everything seems tailored specifically to help them out or challenge them or seem important to them. And usually I throw in lots of ninjas to the point of annoyance after a few years. I can't help it. It's a medical condition.

I've experienced some truly wonderful custom campaigns, though. Some friends of mine ran a few military campaigns and we had fun with those. We've done a couple of Steampunk campaigns set in the 1800s so I busted out my modern Chinese history l33t skills and helped set up a British-in-Shanghai-treaty-port-pwnage style campaign. Victorian steampunk was always a lot of fun...one time I ran an angsty ninja with a short kimono and a ratty loincloth in such a campaign and always had him doing retarded ninja-ey things, like hiding on principle even at inappropriate times (clinging prone to the top of the train instead of riding inside like a normal person) and standing around angsting in the moonlight like a manga character.

Once I ran a 1960s spy campaign but it didn't work out so well. I thought of a lot of amusing shtick, like all pistols being light pistols, a "sexual harassment" adept superpower that broke the game, and an amusing combination of everyone having bigass battle rifles with Sport Rifle damage codes (i.e. M14) while there not being any ballistic armor. Heh, and I said all physads must be asian, and all magicians must be irritating wishy washy hippie psychics. So, yeah, that campaign got broken very quickly but at least it was silly.
eidolon
Definitely with you on not letting the world seem like it exists to cater to the PCs. They only affect their immediate surroundings, at most. Stuff they do might have repurcussions in the larger world, but I rarely ever run the old "the King wants you to do this cause, um, you're adventurers" style game.
blakkie
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 17 2006, 03:35 PM)
I believe that the world is more believable if it exists independently of the PCs rather than if everything seems tailored specifically to help them out or challenge them or seem important to them.

Realism™ sucks.
And usually I throw in lots of ninjas to the point of annoyance after a few years.  I can't help it.  It's a medical condition.

Or it is just your subconscious rebeling because it has come to the realization that Realism™ sucks. grinbig.gif
Mistwalker
Nah, Realism doesn't suck, if it did, guys would not be complaining,

On another note, I too have the campaign world progress with or without the input of the player chars. I usually send an email the day after the run, with the news headlines and one liners (like all the news websites now). There may or may not be something related to the run, but there is always several things that are not related to the run, some of them can be followed up by the chars, or may cause a run in the futur, with the players clueing in at some point.
eidolon
Anothing note on my campaign style. I do not limit the job offers that the PCs receive to things that they can handle, and that they should just take based on meta-thinking "well, it's a job and we're playing Shadowrun".

I do and have let them take jobs that more legwork would have shown to be way out of their league.
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
Anothing note on my campaign style. I do not limit the job offers that the PCs receive to things that they can handle, and that they should just take based on meta-thinking "well, it's a job and we're playing Shadowrun".

I do and have let them take jobs that more legwork would have shown to be way out of their league.

Yep, I agree. I don't spoon-feed my players form-fitted runs. They need to be aware that not everything is a perfect fit for their team, and be a little discriminaing.
blakkie
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
Nah, Realism doesn't suck, if it did, guys would not be complaining,

Who complaining about what?

But sadly Realism™ does suck, it sucks your very life essense till you are left an empty hull. frown.gif
Dog
I'm currently writing a smuggling campaign set in the Gulf of Mexico (... I mean Aztlan...) in the year of the comet. So far, I just have some linear smuggling jobs that are somewhat connected by a chain of contacts, and I haven't applied any YOTC stuff yet.
The next thing to do is get characters made up, then prepare for stuff that I expect the characters are going to want to run off and try. Then I'll probably look through skill, gear and stuff and contrive little instances so they get to use the more obscure stuff.
Not how I usually develop a game, but I'll try it and see how it works.
eidolon
YotC is great as a way to have the world going on around the PCs regardless of what they're doing. I'd love to see more book like that one.

QUOTE (Dog)
Then I'll probably look through skill, gear and stuff and contrive little instances so they get to use the more obscure stuff.

This is one of the best ways to come up with great sessions, I've found. Every once in a while, I'll just go back over the character sheets fishing for that one little skill that they took to flesh out their character, and bam, run idea pops into my head. It's great.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (eidolon)

I think I'd love the challenge of an out-of-league run. Towards the latter days of my gaming I started exclusively making weak mundanes for extra challenge.

Unrelated to the above quote...why does everyone keep saying that realism sucks? Is that some kind of running avant garde joke or something?
eidolon
You would have loved taking the job to boost a space-plane prototype from it's disguised-as-an-offshore-oil-rig-southeast-of-Australia hangar then. Which they took. Even though it should have been perfectly obvious to decline it. biggrin.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (eidolon)
You would have loved taking the job to boost a space-plane prototype from it's disguised-as-an-offshore-oil-rig-southeast-of-Australia hangar then. Which they took. Even though it should have been perfectly obvious to decline it.

I'd take that job, even with a newbie character.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 19 2006, 01:59 PM)
You would have loved taking the job to boost a space-plane prototype from it's disguised-as-an-offshore-oil-rig-southeast-of-Australia hangar then.  Which they took.  Even though it should have been perfectly obvious to decline it.

I'd take that job, even with a newbie character.

Might as well go for it, right? I never actually did it, but I often thought it would be a good idea to just have a binder full of starting characters ready so that if, in the course of a game, your current character bites it, you can immediately leap into action with a new character out of your binder.
ShadowDragon
Right now I'm GMing a traditional game. My PCs are newbie runners (standard 400 BPs) with complimentary abilities (1 mage, 1 hacker, 1 sammy, 1 face). I've been trying to introduce different elements of the Shadowrun universe in every run, but so far the only connection runs have with each other is the reputation the PCs are building and the money and karma they're gathering. I've left several open ends though, and I'd like to form it into an overarching storyline, though I'm not sure how yet. It's tough when my PCs' only real motivation is "make lots of money and live an exciting life;" and while there's nothing wrong with that, it's not much to work with to form into a storyline nyahnyah.gif
Ryu
My campaign had the players start with mafia runs. They were beginning shadowrunners that got jobs that the mafia provided. They just climbed up the ladder and now get direct jobs from a mega (Aztech in this case). There may be several Johnsons, but few sources of deploment. I always found the notion that everyone knows what you´ve done laughable.

The game world can be realistic without spoon-feeding the runners. If they got a job over their heads, Mr. J was either overestimating them or accomplished his goals by their failure.
eidolon
QUOTE (Ryu)
If they got a job over their heads, Mr. J was either overestimating them or accomplished his goals by their failure.

Ah, but IMC fixers aren't perfect and all knowing either, regardless of the cheesy way they're portrayed in the books. wink.gif
Ryu
You are correct sir! The not-quite-omniscient fixer can not only overestimate the characters, but also underestimate the run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012