Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Channeling and physical drain.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
emo samurai
Suppose you have a magician channeling a force 6 spirit. He overcasts; does he get the extra 6 dice for drain resistance? And if it had Regeneration, would it heal his physical drain? They're basically one being, and damage taken by one is taken by both, so I see no reason that it shouldn't be resisted by both. And as for physical drain being damage to the spirit, well, while the spirit's bound to you, it's bound to your spirit, so it should be able to heal your spirit.
blakkie
Regeneration does not heal magical damage. Usually that is interpreted as including damage from Drain. Which of course isn't AWESOME, so adjust as needed.
Ryu
The drain test is part of the channeling, so heīd not allready get the bonus dice. Only after the fact, Iīm afraid.

No regeneration of drain, totally unawing.
Mal-2
QUOTE (emo samurai)
Suppose you have a magician channeling a force 6 spirit. He overcasts; does he get the extra 6 dice for drain resistance?

What extra six dice? Drain is resisted with mental attributes, and you don't get any boosts to your mental attributes when possessed (whether you use channeling or not).
emo samurai
You get a boost to body, and if you're overcasting, you use body + willpower.
Mal-2
QUOTE (emo samurai)
You get a boost to body, and if you're overcasting, you use body + willpower.

Can you point me to this rule? All I can find is the statement that "All magicians use Willpower plus another mental attribute appropriate to their tradition to resist Drain." (SR4, pg. 167). Later, when it talks about overcasting a spell it says "Magicians may cast spells at a Force higher than their Magic ratings (known as overcasting), but this causes the spell Drain to be Physical damage rather than Stun." (SR4, pg 172).

I don't see anywhere that says you resist physical drain with Willpower + Body.
FrankTrollman
Your drain resistance is the same when you are overcasting as when you are not. Only the type of damage (physical or stun) is changed. Manabolts, similarly, are not resisted with Body even though the inflict physical damage.

-Frank
emo samurai
Oh... my bad... That would be sweet, though.
Ryu
You were supposed to say awesome wink.gif

Sorry, didnīt catch the part about "only physical attributes enhanced". At least I ruled the right way, if for the wrong reasons.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012