Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chipjack
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aramus
Someone have ever used a Chipjack with some skillsoft and etc. ? I don't much about the way you play will a Chipjack (add a TaskPool and etc.) so I don't want to try it before I've got some advices smile.gif

And the Chipjack Expert Driver, does it worth the try too ?

Thanks cyber.gif
Kagetenshi
In some circumstances it's horribly broken. In others it's a drop in the bucket.

~J
Kanada Ten
Chipjack Expert Driver is not as bad as I thought. It's a task pool, so it's not too bad in combat. You can't use any other pools with skillwires anyway.

You need a Chipjack, CED, and Skillwires. It gets pretty expensive, especially if you want more than one skill active at the same time (in which case you have to double the skillwires memory requirments and add another CED and multi-slot chip jack for just 2 skills).

Get Rating 5 Skillwires with Memory for 2 Specializtions and a 2-Slot Chipjack with two Rating 5 CED's.

Your GM will probably limit the CED rating to the Skillwire rating anyway.
Dim Sum
I agree with Kage - it is COMPLETELY broken but I allow it in my games. My players realise that what they have, NPCs do, too. biggrin.gif
Fortune
Rating 3 Skillwires linked to a Chipjack with a Rating 3 CED gives you the ability to use almost any non-Combat skill as well as a person that knows the same skill at 6. Using chipped Combat skills frees up your Combat Pool for defense.

The CED is broken!
Drain Brain
Yes. But to ignore the Driver, here's the scan on the chipjack alone...

It's a hugely useful piece of ware. Get a knowsoft link and shazam - you've got languages at your fingertips. Or tonguetip if you prefer. Other knowsofts also EXTREMELY useful in the right circumstances. Tie it through a router to your image link and you have instant viewing of whatever is there - briefings, schematics, maps, whatever! If you've got subdermal speakers too, you can watch movies, listen to audio transcripts or download directions onto a chip beforehand so you don't have to read them while you're driving.

From a combat point of view, admittedly, it's near useless. As an atmospheric, it should be mandatory for everyone in 2060, because it's so damn useful.

Try getting a multi-slot version. You can have Italian, a recipie book and chemistry all at the same time, making your "dinner at my place" a night to remember!
phelious fogg
Chipjacks automatically allow you to use softs, you dont need a knowsoft link. You only need that if you want to access them via a datajack.
Sphynx
QUOTE (Fortune)
The CED is broken!

Personally, I think the skillwires and the sollsofts were what was broken, and the CED was the 'fix'. It was just too expensive in the old system. Now, if you want a rating 6 Skillwire you can spend 0.9 essence instead of 1.2 essence, and 55,500 instead of the insane 324,000.

Of course, this leads to abuse by people who want rating 12 skills at char-gen, but that's where House Rules come into play. Now it's possible to start with rating 12 skills, but I personally think that's balanced as well, after all, look at the skills Adepts start at.

The CED is broken! theory is based on it not being fair that you get double what you pay for. The CED is good theory is usually based on the balanced concept.

The CED was the only possible answer to allowing a person to get 12 dice in a non-physical skill. The only thing I see as broken is a 2nd pool, and to balance it, I House Rule that you can never use Combat Pool in the same Round (not same Initiative Phase) that you use a Combat Soft (unless you DIMAP it). Means you can NEVER Dodge while jacked into a Combat Skillsoft.

Sphynx

phelious fogg
Just limit CED to rating 3 max, and increase the abailability by 1 for each rating increase. That ends up pretty fair in my book.
Mongoose
The CED was the only possible answer to allowing a person to get 12 dice in a non-physical skill.

I think that's exactly why many people consider it broken. Why is it so hard to get 12 dice on a non-combat skill via normal methods (whn you actually have the skill), but a little chipjack and CED can let you do it with a skillsoft? The TN's and success charts for non-combat skills are generally based on highly skilled people rolling 4-8 dice, and the CED potentially disrupts that.

Also, the pricing structure just makes no sense compared to other gear that aids skill use. Almost everything else that gives bonus dice increases in cost geometrically as the rating goes up. The CED is linear.

Sphynx
QUOTE (Mongoose)
The CED was the only possible answer to allowing a person to get 12 dice in a non-physical skill.

I think that's exactly why many people consider it broken. Why is it so hard to get 12 dice on a non-combat skill via normal methods (whn you actually have the skill), but a little chipjack and CED can let you do it with a skillsoft?

Why is it that it is so hard to get 12 dice on a combat skill via normal methods, but an adept can start with it?

The TN's and success charts for non-combat skills are generally based on highly skilled people rolling 4-8 dice, and the CED potentially disrupts that.

Which charts are these? The Maglock-8? The Surgery Table? The CED (or a 8+ skill with other Task Pool bioware) is the only way to have a decent chance at alot of the tables.

Also, the pricing structure just makes no sense compared to other gear that aids skill use.  Almost everything else that gives bonus dice increases in cost geometrically as the rating goes up.  The CED is linear.

What other gear shows these exponential cost increases other than Wires?

Sphynx
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012