Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ah Ha! I fixed cyberlimbs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OneTrikPony
This will probably be my first house rule when I start running an SR4 game. I've included part of the flavor text and the first draft of the actual rules I intend to handout to my players. I'm looking to know what you think, is it ballanced, is it necessary, are there problems the way it's writen?

OneTrikPony’s Cyberlimb house Rule.

Flavor text:

How do cyberlimbs work
Modern implant prosthesis are modeled after biological systems so that they generally mimic the part that is being replaced as closely as possible. Standard replacements are usually synthetic and constructed in such a way to provide seamless operation with natural balance, feel and sensation. To the user natural operation and sensation are as important as superficial look and feel. This is accomplished in several ways. First the components used in construction of the replacement match not only the dimensions of the natural limb but also closely replicate the limb’s weight and density for balance. Neural mapping of the recipient allows connection of the motor systems to neural pathways that closely correspond to those used by the part being replaced. Environmental and mechanical stress sensory systems are matched to the recipient. Finally fine calibration of the motor controls, actuators and sensory systems give the implanted prosthesis a natural feel and operation that is close to indistinguishable from the natural part.

Implant Prosthesis Systems:

Frame…the frame of the replacement, analogous to a biological skeleton is usually machined from high tensile polymers. These materials have a density similar to bone and often surpass biological bone in strength. Stress areas and wear surfaces are often reinforced to provide longer service and superior performance.

Actuators… The “muscles” of implant prostheses are usualy composed of myometric polymers, (tendons and ligaments), and micro scale piezoelectric servo bundles, (muscle fibers), that are light, durable power efficient and low maintenance. These materials allow near infinite force sensitivity while also providing an excellent source of stress and positioning feedback to the sensory systems.

Power systems… These days almost all implant prostheses are powered by low voltage electrical current generated from bioelectricity collector arrays implanted along major neural pathways local to the operation. (In rare or extreme cases heat sinks and chemical converters might be used as well.) The arrays are routed to the power module contained within the prosthesis which both stores and dispenses the energy as needed.

Control Systems… Prosthetic control systems are composed of a computor, (the Control Module and Operating system), Motor Control Units, and a Neural Transducer. The Neural Transducer translates signals between the biological nervous system and the Control module. The Control Module takes motor control commands as well as operator instructions and coordinates movement and other actions in the prosthesis issuing commands to the Motor Control Units and other devices within the limb. The Control Module also gathers and interprets sensory and feedback information for transmission up stream to the central nervous system. Motor Control Units drive the actuators via power distributed by the Power Module.

Sensory Systems… Somatosensory data is collected by two systems; the Environmental Sensory system and the Stress/Feedback Sensory systems allow the prosthesis to provide sensation to the user. The Environmental Sensory system collects the sensory data of temperature, pressure, touch and vibration. The conditions are measured by thousands of micro sensors imbedded in the Integument Structure, (skin or analog thereof), The signal is collected and formatted by the Control Module then translated to nerve impulses for sensation by the Neural Transducer. The Stress/Feedback Sensory system is comprised of internal as well as external sensors that allow the Control Module to signal sensations of muscle activity, joint position including posture, kinesthesia (movement), as well as analogs of pain and tissue damage.

Integument systems… These days you have a choice of synthetic skins that can be matched perfectly to natural skin tones and textures even down to follicle and pore count. These synthetics are nearly indistinguishable from natural skin to the eye, and they feel almost like the real thing. Besides carrying most of the sensors of the Environmental Sensory systems, the integument system protects more vulnerable inner workings of the prosthesis, providing a measure of cushioning to more sensitive electronics, protecting the Actuators from abrasion and keeping the elements away from joints. Most important is the Integumentary Cuff. The interface between the flesh and the machine is a weak point, a permanent wound, where natural skin is forever open. The Integumentary Cuff, an open cell foam compound impregnated with dermatropic hormones, permanently seals the junction between the natural skin and the prosthetic socket keeping the flesh protected from the entrance of toxins and bacteria and substances.

Obvious cyberlimbs are less common than Sinthetics and generally only installed at the direction of the patient. Obvious implant prostheses include all of the systems of a synthetic limb in one form or another but often include additional systems and upgrades as required by the recipient, usually for utility or military purposes. The upgrade or addition of ancillary systems is more easily accomplished in an obvious limb because technicians are less concerned with natural balance, feel and appearance. Thus there is more leeway in design specification of an obvious limb. The obvious cyberlimb is, to a point, capable of containing larger or a greater number of apparatus, vocation related electronics, tools, armor or weapons.

RULES;

Concealability…
Obvious Cyberlimbs:These implants are immediately recognizable as artificial unless the character covers them with clothing. Synthetic Cyberlimbs:Synthetic limbs are disguised as natural limbs. A perception + intuition (3) Test is necessary to visually detect a synthetic limb

So what’s the test to spot an obvious limb if it’s covered?
Is there any modifier if the synthetic limb is covered?
HOUSE RULE: CONCEALABILITY
The base concealability of a synthetic limb Is 0, (BBB pp, 302; Concealability Table), If the limb is covered from the joint to extremity by clothing the test is:
perception + intuition -2 (3)
An uncovered obvious limb is obvious, no test needed. If the obvious limb is covered from joint to extremity by clothing plus a shoe or glove the test to visually detect the obvious limb is:
perception + intuition +4
The bonus for a long coat, (or a heavy jacket in the case of an arm or torso) over other cloths would additionally apply. Cyber skulls are not concealable except by full face helmet or similar gear that covers the entire head, in which circumstance the skull could not be visually detected, no test possible.

Enhancement…
All cyberlimbs come with body, Strength and Agility attributes of 3. These values can only be augmented by cyberlimb enhancements…Cyberlimb enhancements use up the Capacity of the cyberlimb they enhance. (BBB pp, 335; Cyberlimb enhancements)

HOUSE RULE: BASE ABILITIES
All cyberlimbs come with Body Strength and Agility ratings slightly higher the racial average of the character they were designed for. (The racial average is the minimum attribute for the race + 2)
Limb base attributes:
Race…Bod/Agi/Str.
Human…4/4/4
Ork…7/4/6
Dwarf…5/4/6
Elf…4/5/4
Troll…8/4/8
This increase over the cannon base attribute rating of three does not use up Capacity in the limb. The standard limbs are designed this way and Capacity remains the same. Race specific limbs cost more add 25% to the base cost of the limb per the Size Customization rules, BBB pp, 300-301. There is no specific reason that a poor Elf or Ork couldn’t have a cheep used human limb implanted, the idea was touched on in the Shadowrun novel “Tails You Lose” by Lisa Smedman. I would discourage player characters from buying implanted limbs designed for another race. (this “slightly higher” base attribute rating was cannon in SR3 and it still makes sense given the rules for averaging attribute scores and the essence cost for no “statistical” gain in the SR4 rules.)
Only characters with a cybertorso can have cyberlimb enhancements with a rating higher than three. (BBB pp, 335; Cyberlimb enhancements)

HOUSE RULE: CYBERTORSO & ENHANCEMENT
Enhancement to limbs connected to cybertorsos is limited to a maximum rating of seven. This could allow a character to exceed his racial augmented attribute maximum for the augmented limb in one or two attributes given the HR: Base Abilities above.
When a particular limb is used for a test (such as leading an attack with your cyberarm), use the attribute for that limb (natural or cyber); in any other case, take the average value of all limbs in volved in the task (round down). If a task requires the careful coordination of several limbs, use the falue of the weakest limb. (BBB pp, 335; Cyberlimb enhancements)

HOUSE RULE: CALCULATING AVERAGES
Calculate average attribute and armor values by adding the values of 5 locations; each arm, each leg, and the torso then divide by 5. In the example used at that section of the BBB, the head was not counted in the average body attribute used to resist damage from being shot. The physical attributes of a skull should not be accounted for in the average of strength/body/Agility in athletics or melee combat. Wearable armor for the head (helmets) are counted as a separate bonus to armor, so should be implant armor. “Leading” with a specific limb only applies in specific situations; “I crush that can with my cyber hand. I throw a grenade with my cyber arm.” The enhanced, higher or lower than meat value, ability of a cyber arm does not apply in a situation where the character is actually taking a Complex Action; i.e. a melee/unarmed attack. Fighting through an Action Phase in this manner would be something akin to fighting with one hand behind your back. Melee combat; knives, swords or fists requires full use of all four limbs. If a character chooses to “lead” an attack with his strong side he should have to defend with his weak side. Use the attribute score of the off limb for defense in opposed tests. The GM may apply the “Off Hand Weapon” modifier (BBB pp, 148) at his discretion.
[Cyberware] that does not have a Capacity rating must be installed directly into the user’s body; it cannot be installed into cyberlimbs. [Cyberware] with a capacity rating may be installed in cyberlimbs, costing Capacity rather than essence.(BBB pp, 333) Cyberlimb enhancements use up the capacity of the cyberlimb they enhance (BBB pp, 335)

HOUSE RULE: CYBERLIMB CAPACITY
As a custom modification the capacity of Obvious Cyberlimbs may be increased by 50% (round up). Each unit of capacity increase adds 10% to the base cost of the limb and increases the Availability by 1. Modification of this type effects the size and shape of the limb making it even more difficult to conceal; increase the Concealability Modifier for the limb by 1 for every 2 units of Capacity increase. Due to their surface area and relative lack of articulation a cybertorso’s capacity may be modified by up to 100% additional capacity.

--------------
so basicly I've made cyberlimbs a little better in abilities if you want to spend the cash, obvious cyberlimbs don't have the Capacity restraints that synthetics do but they have their own drawbacks. If a player is dedicated to cyborgs enought to spend essence on a cyber torso as opposed to bone lace and muscle aug/toner he should get somthing for it so I've broken the max augmented ability rule for specific limbs. this probably won't lead to an averaged score above the max but It won't hurt my feelings if it does. I looked at older threads on the subject and felt that someone should take the brain pain out of averaging attribute scores across the body.

let me know what you think and tell me if you would/wouldn't use this in your games

thanx
Garrowolf
I would increase the capacity for larger limbs - they have more space.
I would get rid of the size modification for capacity but charge differently for each.
Humans, Dwarves, and Elves get medium limbs, Orks get large, and Trolls get extra large (somebody elses fix but I use it too now). Larger limbs cost more.
I would allow out of size limbs to be used with no problem (there is a picture in the book of a troll with human arms attached to his hips with a gun held under the table.). You could have a gorilla man as well.
Other then that it looks pretty good.
OneTrikPony
I would get rid of the size modification for capacity but charge differently for each.

huh? do you mean that an increase in capacity wouldn't change the size of the limb?

I would increase the capacity for larger limbs - they have more space.
I kind of dissagree with you there, (box equasions and all), the a troll limb isnt just bigger it's stronger and tougher. heavier servos' thicker "bones" and such take up alot of extra space.

I like the gorrilla man too, but i've always thought that the troll picture was the old Articulated Arm from SR3
thanx for the reply
Ryu
Troll limbs need to have more capacity - if you scale anything up, free space gets scaled up too. They would comparativly offer more relative space than their smaller counterparts, due to relativly smaller controls and structure.

Higher attributes should not cost capacity. The limiting factor is the human flesh, not the cyberlimb size. Cyberlimb weight is a mayor consideration, but not handled by the rules so far. Pairs of cyberlimbs get rid of this problem.

Cost-wise, any race would pay the same. Size doesn´t cost much, attributes would need to be payed. Larger servo = higher cost. Trolls pay - and get - much more.
morlock76
Doesnt look to bad sofar.

I dont think you need to change the weight / density of the limb, as you can adjust the muscles / motors to make it feel the same to the natural limb.

Id stick to same price / capacity for all limbs, a troll limb may be bigger, but its layout is bigger as well and the parts to be included will be slightly bigger as well.
You dont pay more essence for troll spurs compared to dwarf spurs.
Keep it simple in that deparment.

Slightly off topic: I never understood why grown limbs were cheaper then cyberlimbs. Massproduction of cyberlimbs should be possible with little customization in the last step and you can stock em.
You cant do that with grown limbs.
OneTrikPony
I kind of think that higher atributes should cost capacity. the ratio of strength to volume isn't linear AFAIK. the arm isn't only bigger but proportionaly stronger (i think) so it seems to me that an arm of twice the linear length needs something like 3 times the muscular cross section.

of course the arm could just draw more power per servo unit but the bioelectric system stuff they started is allready stretching my suspension of disbelief.

The metavarient limbs cost more for a variety of reasons but primarily because they're not off the rack (and also I just wan't cyberlimbs to be concidered as a viable choice they don't need to be the go-to item.)
I dont think you need to change the weight / density of the limb, as you can adjust the muscles / motors to make it feel the same to the natural limb.
I was thinking more about ballance across the body, If i had one cyber arm i wouldn't want to feel like i was wearing a 2 kilo watch.

in my fluff text I'm kind of trying to set the standard for "this is a normal off the shelf replacement for joe human" if you have something else it was probably pricy or ancient.
You dont pay more essence for troll spurs compared to dwarf spurs.
true because they're the same thing. spurs are spurs same 1/2 strength +3 DV. If you have a cyber arm you probably don't pay essence for the spur at all. Now if you wanted a really big spur that would sweet coming out of a troll arm and if he hit you with them they'd probably cut your head clean off, why you'd expect to pay a little more cash for em... well wouldn't ya punk?!:rotfl:

oooomegod im so tired
The Jopp
These are my ideas for house rules:

CYBERLIMBS

Increased Resilience
Each Cyberlimb and the Cybertorso adds +1 to the characters Physical Condition Monitor.

Every two Cyberlimbs adds +1 to the characters Overdamage monitor – The Cybertorso adds +1 to the characters Overdamage Monitor.

Increased Armor
Every two Cyberlimbs adds 1/1 to the characters armor and the Cybertorso adds 1/1. Maximum bonus from cyberlimbs and shells cannot be more than B3/I3.

Attribute Limit
Physical attributes on a limb mimics those of the owner thanks to a hardwired sensor system that monitors muscle responses from the characters nerve-bundles. It’s impossible to remove these attribute limitations unless you have a good skill in Cybertechnology, Hardware and Cracking as there are both hardware locks and software security to ensure that people will not hurt themselves. The system is not wireless and cannot be accessed without taking the limb apart.

Cyberlimb Availability Changes
All Cyberlimbs, Torsos and Skulls have an Availability of 4 for Obvious versions and 8 for Synthetic versions.

Cyberlimb Prices
All cyber replacement parts follow the prices of Synthetic replacements – Synthetic replacements simply gains concealability to the obvious limbs extra space.

Essence Changes
Cyberlimb: 1,00
Cybertorso: 1,00
Cyberskull: 0,50

What Can Be Installed?
Cyberlimbs & Shells have the versatility of being able to install nearly every piece of cyberware available with a bit of tweaking. The following types of gear can be installed in a cybernetic replacement or shells. If it is not in then list it does no longer exist.

Headware & Bodyware: Any kind of bodyware with a Capacity Rating [?]
Bodyware: Control Rig as Implanted Commlink.
Eyeware & Earware Cybereye and Ear takes up 1 Capacity each.*
Cyber Holster: Can only be installed in a Cyberleg
Cyberarm Slide: Can only contain Hold-out and Light pistols

*In order to install Eye and Ear modifications you still need to install a cybernetic replacement.
Serbitar
Why is a dwarf cyberarm stronger than a human cyberarm?
Why does an elf cyberarm have more agility than a human cyberarm?

I have a section about cyberlimbs in my SHP (signature, last 2 pages). This is where I introduced this "medium, large, and extra large" stuff. I tried to change as litle as possible there.
Thanee
Because they are built to match the body.

These are my cyberlimb house rules:

All Cyberlimbs come with Body, Strength, and Agility attributes of 3 plus racial modifier (p. 335). The restriction for enhancements higher than 3 does not apply.

Cyberlimbs have the following Capacity (obvious/synthetic): Full Arm: 20/10, Full Leg: 25/15, Hand/Foot: 6/3, Lower Arm: 12/6, Lower Leg: 15/10.
Cyberlimb Enhancement use up Capacity as follows: Armor: (Rating), Body/Strength/Agility: (Rating/2) (round up).

Cyberlimb Armor (p. 335-336) is added together from all cyberlimbs and then divided by 4; it stacks with worn armor.

Bye
Thanee
Serbitar
So what is the reason then why the smaller dwarf cyberarms have a higher strenth maximum? And the elf cyberarms that are alsmost indistinguishable from human cyberarms have more max agility?

Maximum is what is possible technologically, not what "fits the body". A cyberarm with "dwarf and elf" technology in it would also fit a human.
Thanee
As I said, they are built to match the body (or the metatype).

A standard-dwarf cyberarm is set-up to work just like an average dwarven arm would.
And so on.

If one wanted to make it more realistic (as opposed to more playable), each metatype would have to have different rules for cyberlimbs, different capacities, etc. An elf cannot use a human cyberlimb, their bodies are already too different. Also, the actual physical attributes of the patient would have to come into play, as well as height, body frame, and so on. But that's too much hassle for too little impact.

Bye
Thanee

P.S. Why do XL limbs get less Agility than the others in your rules, Serbitar? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what you are saying with dwarves, elves and humans using the same technology? Why do trolls get weaker tech there?
Serbitar
My point is:
If you could make a cyberarm for a dwarf with strength 10, you could make one for a human with 10 or even 11, as it is bigger.

The shape/size/weight of an elfs arm also does not justiy an additional agility point, as it is essentally the same as a humans.

Thus: Elfs, dwarf and humans cyberlimbs should have exactly the same stats.

Trolls arms have less agility, because they are too big. Thats a physical limitation. A big arm just can not, with the same technology, be as nimble as a small one. And the difference in size and weight is quite considerable.
Ryu
Stronger motors do not necessarily mean larger weigth and size. And muscle diameter has to increase with strength, yes. But on a biological limb, muscles determine volume. Thats not likely with myomeric muscles, as myomeric rope is now possible. Therefore their tensile strength has to be much higher. The more musculature has to be replaced, the more volume is gained for other applications.
Thanee
QUOTE (Serbitar @ Oct 19 2006, 04:33 PM)
My point is:
If you could make a cyberarm for a dwarf with strength 10, you could make one for a human with 10 or even 11, as it is bigger.

The shape/size/weight of an elfs arm also does not justiy an additional agility point, as it is essentally the same as a humans.

Thus: Elfs, dwarf and humans cyberlimbs should have exactly the same stats.

And that's where I think different... while the cyberarm itself, independant of the body, is only limited by its size/length/volume/whatever, as you rightly say, the most important part is the interface to the body.

And that should determine what is possible.

You could probably, technically, make MUCH, MUCH stronger cyberarms, than what is possible in the rules. But they become part of the body and the artificial nerves become an extension of the brain.

Therefore, I think you need to make cyberarms that fit to the meta-body.

The capacity restrictions are mostly for balance reasons.

Bye
Thanee
Serbitar
Fit to the meat body in size. The rest is irrelevant. It can be strong as hell.
Point is, that a smaller dwarf cyberarm can never be stronger than a larger human cyberarm, suing the same technology.
RunnerPaul
The limiter has never been the strength of the machinery. Its the strength of the mount where the arm connects to the flesh.

If we were just bolting these arms to test benches, we could design one strong enough to pick up light trucks by the front bumper. Try that when it's mounted to a metahuman, and it'll rip from it's flesh and blood moorings before the front tires leave the ground.

In short, the limit is a fixed delta over the natural maximum strength of the particular metatype.

mfb
QUOTE (Serbitar)
So what is the reason then why the smaller dwarf cyberarms have a higher strenth maximum?

dwarven cyberarms are not significantly smaller than human cyberarms. dwarves have normal-sized upper bodies, and miniaturized lower bodies.
Serbitar
Even if this was the case (which I doubt, just draw it, it does not look natural at all), the arms would still be same size.

@Paul: OK, thats a reason for strength, but for the rest ?
Thanee
If you only think of simple physical issues (simple, meaning that it excludes the higher complexity stuff like nerves), then Body would be slightly related to size (not much though, and could easily be the same, considering, that the differences are not that big) and Strength (think: higher density materials) and Agility would be completely unrelated to everything and should be the same for every cyberlimb, regardless of size, metatype, or whatever else there is.

But in order to work like a completely natural extension, there must be a little more to it than just that.

Bye
Thanee
OneTrikPony
The Joop;
All Cyberlimbs, Torsos and Skulls have an Availability of 4 for Obvious versions and 8 for Synthetic versions.

That makes no sence to me. 70 years ago, in the SR time line, tech were struggeling to make prosthetics natural and indistiguishable from meat parts in both function and appearance. Basic Synthetic natural looking replacements are the norm. It's what medical patients want. Synthetic cyberlimbs should be LOWER abvailability than obvious implants. Were not talking about spy tech here were talking about a medical device.
Why is a dwarf cyberarm stronger than a human cyberarm? Why does an elf cyberarm have more agility than a human cyberarm?
The reason that
basic
dwarf implants have a higher strenght rating is that the average dwarf patient has a higher strength attribute than the "stock" human cyberarm.

The important thing with prosthetics is that they match and are ballanced across the body. this is represented well in the rules. i.e. if you have a cyber leg str 3 and a meat leg str 5 u use the lower strength rating for coordinated tasks like running. If a dwarf patient comes in to be fitted for a cyber limb and the tech takes smaller size off the shelf parts to assemble a limb with human specs the dwarf will still be working with a handycap after the dock has instaled it. The point of my house rule is that this doesn't happen to the everyday normal wageslave. Cyberlimbs are cheeper than a vat grown replacement because there is a large inventory of stock components--Frames, Actuators, Motor Control Units--which can be assembled to match closely to the meat limb on the other side of the body. With calibration and adjustment these stock components can be made to match perfectly to the limb on the other side of the body and be nearly indistiguisable to visual inspection. Because Stock components can be used to create a cyberlimb that matches the racial atribute averages they end up with stock Capacity and matching atributes.

thanx for all the posts
Fortune
You mentioned something about 'hacking the Attribute limitations' on your cyberlimbs (been up all night ... too lazy to find the right quote wink.gif ). What are your rules on that? And what limits do the cyberlimbs have after the hacking is successful?
OneTrikPony
RunnerPaul
The limiter has never been the strength of the machinery. Its the strength of the mount where the arm connects to the flesh. In short, the limit is a fixed delta over the natural maximum strength of the particular metatype.

Well said. But I don't think that's the whole story on the limitation of maximum strength.

Some more thoughts on power systems. Electromechanical/piezoelectrical/bioelectric systems will be the go-to solution for power in prosthetics over the next 70 years. Comic books and steam punk are cool but I'm going to say we can pretty much rule out micro-nuclear, hydraulic, and coal-fired power sources for implants in the shadowrun and RL universe for the next couple centurys. SR three cannon states that we don't have to replace batteries or sit in the sun to power our implant ware. That's probably going to be true in SR4. So one major limiting factor in cyberlimb strength is the balance between strength and endurance.

About a hundred years ago Nicolo Tesla measured the magnetic fields around a living human and determined that, just siting around, we're producing the equivalent of about 3/4 horsepower. Cannon states that that's where were getting most of the power we use to move cyberlimbs. Obviously, in the SR universe we're wasting quite a bit more power than Tesla thought but still, there's only so much available at any point in time. This is one reason I've allowed maximum strenght ratings of a cyberlimb to max at the racial average +8 when connected to a cyber torso. (which in my opinion is ridiculously weak if u use the cannon rules for strength and lifting.)

I also think that in addition to supplying a more robust mounting system for the cyberlimb a cybertorso may include a broader array of power collectors, improving the potential for strenght and endurance of implanted systems. Part of the implant procedure for the limb may involve installation of power collectors which may be the primary reason that implant prosthetics are so essence intensive. It could be that an even more invasive procedure that costs even more essence might allow enhancements to the limb beyond the racial average +4 when not connected to a cybertorso.

Here's a little support for that argument;
"Even items that would seem to use more energy than the body can produce, such as cyberlimbs or wired reflexes, can perform at the levels they do because these superconductive pathways pick up the bioelectric current from other parts of the body and instantaneously feed ti to the areas that need the power. the proces used to redistribute the neural bioelectricity alters the body's biochemistry. some reasearchers believe that theis base physiological change may also reduce Essence, which could explain why there have been no further breakthroughs siince the development of deltaware" (Man & Machine pp, 11-12) emphasis added

Serbitar;
@Paul: OK, thats a reason for strength, but for the rest ?

I think that body enhancements are directly related to size orks have bigger limbs thus the implants have higher starting body so forth with trolls.
(note; that I don't see any logical reason that body couldn't be enhanced to < infinity but i wouldn't play a character that munchy and i wouldn't allow it in my game so body gets caped like the rest.)

As to the higher starting Agility attribute of elf implants. I see agility as being largely a matter of neuro-muscular precision. Elf muscles probably have a greater density of motor neurons, which can be replicated in the prosthetic, but the rest of their central nervous system is similarly robust right up the spinal cord into the mid-brain. The reason that the implants of other races don't have as high an agility attribute is probably a limitation of the meat not the tech.

Great discussion guys thanx
Lagomorph
You're missing rules for partial limbs.

What are the concealability modifiers for partial limbs?
Do partial limbs recieve the same attributes?
If I armor a partial limb, how is it counted?
And finally, do partial limbs add damage boxes like full sized ones?

Also:
HOUSE RULE: CYBERTORSO & ENHANCEMENT
Enhancement to limbs connected to cybertorsos is limited to a maximum rating of seven. This could allow a character to exceed his racial augmented attribute maximum for the augmented limb in one or two attributes given the HR: Base Abilities above.

Is this maximum rating the final attribute, or the modification to the attribute? If the former, then trolls are already breaking the rules with 8 str and 8 bod, if the latter, that makes the max available stat for a limb = (11+race mod)? How does that reconsile with max augmented attribute caps?
Fortune
What about my question? frown.gif
OneTrikPony
Lagomorph;
You're missing rules for partial limbs.
yeah, I'm still thinking about that one. I wan't to be complete, especially since the cannon rules of SR4 will probably ignore partials the same way SR3 did. My general feeling though, is that partials are for character flavor or munchkins.

Partials would have the same racial base attributes as full limbs. I also think you could increase the capacity of OBVIOUS partials by up to 50% at an additional cost of 10% / Capacity Unit. But I can't reareallye a single hand/foot having any impact on overall armor or body. A Partial's Attributes would only apply in situations where the implant is isolated. Most commonly that would probably be body + armor vs. a called shot. I think that much like natural limbs most of the motive force for a hand/foot would come from natural muscles assassumeingat much of the structure of the wrist/ankle were intact. There are few muscles in the hands and feet and they are small so most stestrengthecks, which are usuusuallytest of brute force, should rely on the meat bod.

An important theme in the SR4 structure is simplicity and speed of play. So I'm hesitant to start making rules for Averaging forearms and Lower legs. I'm torn. Armor on the head adds a bonus to overall rating. If you have armor on several partial limbs a rearelativelygnificant fraction of the gengeneralrget surface area is covered. However, the head is a primary target of all hit locations. A forearm of lower leg is not. In game I tend to describe an insignificant hit--in which most of the damage is shrugged off or damdamage low due to a poor die roll--as a score to one of these hit locations out side the kill zone. Also consider the fact that in averaging armor to partial limbs has negligable effect.

a sammy is wearing no clothing but has 4 partial limbs with 4 points of balballisticmor and no other implant armor take 9 hit locations; 2 per arm, 2 per leg, and the torso. 16 devidivided9 = <1 there is no armor bonus.
remember that for purposes of averaging limb attributes and armor the BBB says round down. This is an extreme situation 4 limbs with maxed armor gives no armor bonus. Can the effect of fewer partials with less armor be more negligable?

another sammy has 4 points of baballisticodyware and 4 partials with 1 point of armor. take the 9 hit locations and average: 24 dedividedy 9 = <3. should the presence of partial limbs lower the armor rating of the primary hit locations? Torso and Head is where your trying to hit when you
don't take a called shot. I might house rule that the presence of unarmored partials might lower total armor but Why should partials have any effect on armor?

"Leading" in melee combat. In the old SR we had "foforearmuards" that gave a bonus to defence. In the above post I proposed rules for Leading in melee combat. I can coconceivef a character buffing the off hand with armor and the strong hand with strenght then using one for offence and one for defence. I want to say NO but, in the old days we had shields and bucklers. I have no idea how to write a rule for this in the SR mechanics. I am opposed to my characters gegettingosomethingor nothing.

As for the addition of damage boxes, No. I could see 4 lower limbs adding up to 1 damage box but i don't think it's worth the time or added complexity.

Is this maximum rating the final attribute, or the modification to the attribute? If the former, then trolls are already breaking the rules with 8 str and 8 bod, if the latter, that makes the max available stat for a limb = (11+race mod)? How does that reconsile with max augmented attribute caps?

Enhancement and Torsos works exactly like this.
The base attributes for an average cyberlimb are the metatype ability minimum +3 for the metahuman model of the limb. So, a troll limb will have base attributes, before enhancement of 8/4/8 for body, agility and strength respectively. These limbs can take attribute enhancements up to rating 3. So a troll without a cyber torso could have limbs with attribute rating 11/7/11, a human could have limbs with attribute ratings 7/7/7.
A character with a cyber torso can enhance the attributes of a connected cyberlimb by up to rating 7 in this case the character may exceed the augmented racial attribute maximum. so a human with a cyber torso could have limbs with attribute ratings for body agility and strength of 11/11/11. A troll with a cybertorso could have limbs with attribute ratings of 15/11/15

OneTrikPony
Fortune:
I can't find that post that mentioned hacking atribute limits. I'm not yet familiar enough with the wireless world to have any House Rules for hacking limbs but I would like to note some things I've found that people may/may not be aware of.
As a rule assume that any gear item that is electronic or mechanical has a wireless-enabled computer in it (BBB, pp. 304; Wireless Connectivity)
Any device's wireless capability can be turned off with a simple command. (BBB, pp. 304; Turning it Off)
"In addition to wireless functionality, most cyberware devices are equipped with a direct neural interface (DNI) that allows the user to mentally activate adn control their vunctions. They can also be linked to other cyberware implants. (BBB, pp. 330; Cyberware 2nd pgh.)

This means that i'm not worried at all about someone else hacking my arm and beating me to death, or "recalibrating" the range link in my smartlink. (which is sad in a way because there's so much oppertunity for hilarity there)
"Unless it has been customized or changed in some way assume that each of the Matrix attributes listed above for a particular device equals its Device Rating...The Sample Devices table list typical Device ratings for common electronics." (BBB, pp. 213)
Sample Device ratings:
Bodyware...1
Headware...3
Alphaware...4
Betaware...5
Deltaware...6

Cyber limbs aren't listed specificly but I'd probably give them a Device rating of 3 like headware. I might rule that a cyberlimb's OS would automaticly incclude Encryption3, and DataBomb3.

As for hacking atribute limits. I can't see that it could be necessary. Even if there were some actuators installed that you're not useing. You'd allready have full access to the calibration software incluced with the limb.

Fortune you've been around long enough that you allready know all this what are you planning?
Fortune
That wasn't really what I meant at all. But as it turns out, upon actually re-reading the thread, that it wasn't your rules that I was questioning anyway (see previous comment about being up all night ... still haven't slept yet wink.gif ) ... it was The Jopp ... embarrassed.gif smile.gif

To wit ...

QUOTE (The Jopp)
Attribute Limit
Physical attributes on a limb mimics those of the owner thanks to a hardwired sensor system that monitors muscle responses from the characters nerve-bundles. It’s impossible to remove these attribute limitations unless you have a good skill in Cybertechnology, Hardware and Cracking as there are both hardware locks and software security to ensure that people will not hurt themselves. The system is not wireless and cannot be accessed without taking the limb apart.

And my questions are ... [a] What are the specific rules for unlocking the limb's potential? ... and ... [b] What limits do the cyberlimbs have after the cracking is successful?
Garrowolf
Actually there is something that has been bothering me about cyberware. In the previous editions it seems that they are saying that cyberware was causing essence loss because it was an electrical connection with your CNS. That was why cyberlimbs requiring considerable connection with the CNS to direct it took a full point but it didn't matter the size because the same number of nerves were connected (ie a troll limb doesn't cost more then a human's limb).

Okay so why does cybertorso cost so much essence?

Isn't it mostly just a can with some articulation? It acts as a frame for the cyberlimbs but I could see an articulated frame as a sort of back brace that supports the arms and doesn't kill your back. So what is the CNS connections about?

I mean I can even see some of the cyberskull with the jaw but Ican't it all that much essence loss.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Garrowolf)
Okay so why does cybertorso cost so much essence?

Isn't it mostly just a can with some articulation? It acts as a frame for the cyberlimbs but I could see an articulated frame as a sort of back brace that supports the arms and doesn't kill your back. So what is the CNS connections about?

You are aware that cyberlimbs provide tactile sensory data for any of the skin surface they replace, right? The torso's got a lot of surface area.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Fortune)

And my questions are ... [a] What are the specific rules for unlocking the limb's potential? ... and ... [b] What limits do the cyberlimbs have after the cracking is successful?

The main reason for that part was to remove the excessive and rather pointless tweaking of attributes that a character would have to do just to gain a basic attribute. Cracking the limb would be up to the GM in an extended test per system (Hacking/Cyberware etc)

I would say that if the limbs attributes are “unlocked” then the limb would have whatever attribute value (STR/AGI etc) the character desires (within limits) and depending on the actual action the character tries to do apply a minus to the characters dicepool equal to (Character Attribute – Limb Attribute).

A human with AGI 3 who attempts to pick up a small coin would get an actual agility of 9 but only a dicepool modifier of -6.

STR would be a problem if they want to shake someones hand and they are not really thinking of how strong they are (as above with STR of 3 but cyberlimb strength of 9)
Fortune
he main reason for that part was to remove the excessive and rather pointless tweaking of attributes that a character would have to do just to gain a basic attribute. Cracking the limb would be up to the GM in an extended test per system (Hacking/Cyberware etc)

I think that's a pretty decent way of going about it.

So you would still max all 'unlocked' cyberlimbs at racial Max? Racial Max +X?

Also, maybe I'm just dense right now, but I can't fully grasp what you mean here ...

A human with AGI 3 who attempts to pick up a small coin would get an actual agility of 9 but only a dicepool modifier of -6.

I understand modifiers in some situations, but where would the benefit be for a character to use his augmented Agility of 9 with a -6 Dice Pool penalty over using his normal Agility of 3 with no penalty?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 20 2006, 12:04 PM)
I understand modifiers in some situations, but where would the benefit be for a character to use his augmented Agility of 9 with a -6 Dice Pool penalty over using his normal Agility of 3 with no penalty?

Well, I basically pulled that out off my ass. So far I’m not really sure how to implement a penalty when you feel like you are squeezing as normal when you shake someones hand but you are in reality three times stronger than normal.

Perhaps this would be more apt.

Whenever the character does NOT want to implement his exceptionally strong/quick limb he would get (Limb Attribute-Character Attribute)/2 negative dice pool modifier for fine motor functions and NOT wanting to squeeze someone to death.

The same would apply for reacting out of surprise when you whip around to a sound behind you and you end up spinning 435 degrees and not entirely sure in what way you are facing due to your faster-than-your-mind-can-grasp movement.

Then you have the problem with being in a hurry and ripping away your car door because you got a bit careless or removing the steering wheel or handelbars of your bike because your reacted a bit faster than what you had planned.

Even someone who IS used to being superstrong would still have to be very careful because unlike a natural attribute you are not fully in control of that strength or quickness.

Acting out with ones full ability in combat would probably not be a liability since you are focused on what you want to do but a negative dicepool modifier would definitely be fitting if they want to pull their punches.
Ryu
Suggestion: Incorporate the idea of the jopp and allow cyberlimbs to be fitted to the non-cyber attributes of the wearer. This is possible without changing the hardware up to natural limit-1. Overdrive is a simple cybernetics check. If you overdrive speed or strength without cybertorso, you take (used rating-natural rating) DV stun, resisted with natural body.

Ingame reason: The standarised cyberlimb would have to fit all customers except the exceptional. Athletes suffer injuries too. Mismatching is easy, but generally not wanted.

Outgame reason: Easy. No limit for most characters. If its a limit, the difference can now be payed without filling the cyberlimb up.
OneTrikPony
Maybe i just don't understand Joop's ideas but I think he's saying that you can pay for a strength 3 cyberarm then make a hacking extended test to get a strength 5 cyber arm. which means that you had a strength 5 cyberarm all along. They just had it turned down.

That's like asking Dell to sell you a desktop with an UNDERCLOCKED conroe processor because your only going to use it for word prosessing.

If I hack into the firmware of my 4 banger car's ECU and upload firmware from a V6 do you think I'll be able to drive faster?

Or to put it in shadowrun terms

Maybe the crapy responce of my Meta Link comm is realy just a software issue. If I hack my own comlink can I increase the responce and signal?

NO.

it's not software. It's hardware. a strength 4 limb has a strength of 4 because it only has rating 4 actuators. you can't make a 4 cylinder engine into a 6 cylinder engine without adding at least 2 cylinders. You can't make a strength 4 cyber arm into a strenght 6 cyberarm without adding some mechanical hardware.
Ryu
Within conventional wisdom, you are correct.

An economically knowledgeable person might suggest that the cost of producing several hardware variants would be higher than producing one model per needed size class and customizing it by software. Several years ago NVIDIA was serving the low-cost marked with a so-called "damaged goods-policy". Low-end graphic cards (forgot the type) had all the same chips and makeup, only some chips were not fully connected. Customers not willing to pay full price didn´t get full performance. (Note this is not NVIDIAS term for said policy, nor is it out of order with common business strategies. It´s just rarely economically feasible to do so).

A rating 4 cyberlimb may be a rating 4 cyberlimb because more would tear the shoulder of the customer, resulting in a lost trial and bad publicity for the producing company. Hack at your own risk.
Fortune
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
Maybe i just don't understand Joop's ideas but I think he's saying that you can pay for a strength 3 cyberarm then make a hacking extended test to get a strength 5 cyber arm. which means that you had a strength 5 cyberarm all along. They just had it turned down.

Basically what he's saying is that all cyberlimbs are made at one strength rating. I would assume this would be the maximum rating for each racial type, but I'm not sure about this part. When a person purchases a limb, limiters are activated that keep the limb within the boundaries of the new user's normal strength. These limiters can be cracked with some (?) difficulty, thereby allowing access to the limb's full potential.

Right Jopp?

I just want to know what that full potential is.
OneTrikPony
Remember that a synthetic limb is nearly undetectable to visual inspection. Were not talking about robot arms here.

based on what I know of prosthetics today. I can't immagine that cyberlimbs (other than used ware) exist as complete assemblies. Even for an unaugmented cyberlimb there are just too many variables that have to be matched for comfortable use.

do all cyber legs, lower legs, and cyber feet have the same shoe size? Would you immagine that the medical comunity would produce a unisex cyber arm and if so does it have man hands or woman hands? This is nothing like a GPU. Which is sweet, cuz I'll cry if next years dual SLI set up costs Twenty Thousand Dollars

I immagine that there are "Stock Parts" for cyberlimbs, not assembled "Stock Limbs". I mean it's entirely feasable that there are standarized molds for the equivelants of the radius and ulna in a cyber arm frame. They probably come in different sizes that vary in length and girth with a varience in steps several milimeters.

Basicly; a patient needs a replacement arm. The med/tech takes carefull measurements of the remaining limb and uses standardized parts of one or several manufacturers to assemble a limb that very closely matches the length, girth, weight, ballance, and sensory biometry of the natural limb.

Fortune
QUOTE (OneTrikPony @ Oct 21 2006, 01:20 PM)
Basicly; a patient needs a replacement arm. The med/tech takes carefull measurements of the remaining limb and uses standardized parts of one or several manufacturers to assemble a limb that very closely matches the length, girth, weight, ballance, and sensory biometry of the natural limb.

And then a technician or computer sets the 'limiter' on the motors and servos and whatnot that control the actual strength of the limb to match that of the patient.

As you say, not one standard limb. But there needn't be 8 or more different levels of 'driving mechanisms' where one would do the job. If you are thinking of it from a corp perspective, it could be seen to be a hell of a lot cheaper to use only one level of strength, and then limit each limb via Jopp's method.
OneTrikPony
I give up.
Crusher Bob
Of course, this would only be true if there was enough of a market for cyberlimbs for large economies of scale. Cyberlimbs would have to be both cheap and significantly better than original flesh to people to get voluntary replacements. And would have to be much cheaper and about as good as flesh for industrial accident replacements.
Garrowolf
I think that you could do it either way depending on the feel of the game you are going for. It's not that you couldn't do it or that it wouldmake sense to size everything but it depends on if the campaign is gritty and uncaring on the side of the corps or if you are having them nicer.
If you are doing blackmarket then your going to get a arm that is close to right but may not really match your other arm. They could spray paint it to get the color closer but anyone shaking your hand would get a notice test in my opinion.
Now if you have a high lifestyle then you would get more details correct. I would say not charge any different but make it closer to normal depending on your source and your lifestyle level (consider it an incidental cost for high lifestyle and maybe not available at low).
kzt
QUOTE (Garrowolf @ Oct 21 2006, 01:47 AM)
I think that you could do it either way depending on the feel of the game you are going for. It's not that you couldn't do it or that it wouldmake sense to size everything but it depends on if the campaign is gritty and uncaring on the side of the corps or if you are having them nicer.

If it's gritty and uncaring then you have lots of people missing limbs and maybe, if they are lucky, using obvious non-cyber prostheses. It's cheaper to not do anything than to do something, if there are always more workers to replace those who get maimed. And by the time you invest in medical care and surgical implantation it isn't going to cast much more to do a good job that gains loyalty.
Ryu
OneTrickPony, you are right in that replacement of one limb requires much more finetuning than replacement of both. SR does away with that level of complexity and just has one price.

For motor controls and strength it will not be feasible to use more than one set of parts. The cost of stronger servos is not that high, and you are customising enough parts to fit length, shoe size etc. I imagine that most of your money goes to a myriad of sensors allowing you to feel the prostetic as part of your body. And it will be hard to cut corners there. If you wanted to model different qualities of cyberlimbs, you could introduce modifiers for tests involving fine motor control of the limb. Again, too much complexity for basic SR. My point is just that you don´t stand to gain much by using smaller motors. Neither space in the limb nor money for the company.
OneTrikPony
OneTrickPony, you are right in that replacement of one limb requires much more finetuning than replacement of both. SR does away with that level of complexity and just has one price.

You mean One price for each grade of Ware right? (standard -- Delta) And one price for each point of atribute enhancent for each attribute. So a cyberlimb with 3/3/4 attributes has one price, and a cyberlimb with 4/4/7 attributes has a different price, and a partial cyberlimb with 4/3/3 attributes has another different price, but the cyberlimb with 5/5/5 still hase one price and a synthetic cyberlimb with 3/3/4 attributes has one price but it's diferent from all the others, and a cyber leg with 6/6/6 armor, a built in smuggleing compartment has one price, and an Alpha ware limb with 3/3/4 atributes has one price................ ... ... ... ... ... ... and that

Now that I think about it I agree that each cyberlimb only has one price and that it's not really that complex to figure out what that price may be because the price of the cyberlimb depends on wether or not the cyberlimb has ATRIBUTE ENHANCEMENTS.mad.gif

Hmm, apparently I don't give up.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (morlock76)

Slightly off topic: I never understood why grown limbs were cheaper then cyberlimbs. Massproduction of cyberlimbs should be possible with little customization in the last step and you can stock em.
You cant do that with grown limbs.

Type "O" grown limbs ARE mass produced, gene tailored to not induce immuno issues in 99% of patients (the other 1% being magicals) and kept in cryo storage until needed
knasser
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
I give up.

I read through about six posts of this and then decided not to even try in the first place. I'd get out now, if I were you.
Ryu
No, I mean that the price for one arm is half the price of two arms.

Two arms would be less expensive per limb because you´d not need to tune the replacement to the capabilities of the flesh counterpart.
jervinator
Slightly off-topic : I wonder if we can't consolidate some of these cyberlimb threads.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012