Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So... What about Philly?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wakshaani
I was trying to think of a good city to base a campaign out of ... I wanted something UCAS, but not something like Chicago, DC, or New York. Boston and Detroit are done...

But then I hit Philly.

I think that this one is going to have potential, but, first, I was curious if anyone had anything on teh current status of teh City of Brotherly Love circa 2070.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?
Fortune
Blackjack had a detailed campaign set in Philly way back in the '50s. Seems I can't access his webpage though, so ... frown.gif
krayola red
Yarr.
Fortune
Bonus. For some reason it didn't work for me when I tried to get there the first time. smile.gif
Wakshaani
QUOTE (krayola red)
Yarr.

Woo! A good start, tho not neccessarily where I'll be going with it.

Anything official? I'd imagine that they absorbed a TON of refugees after the NYC quake, for example, and probably decayed pretty badly in the process.
jklst14
I believe there two SR novels that are at least partially set in Philly (Striper Assassin and Who Hunts the Hunter). While I never liked either of them, they do provide a little background on the city.
Zeitgeist
There are no good sections of Philly, only lesser degrees of shit.

As true today as it is in 50-odd years....

In all seriousness, I'm impressed and depressed at how plausable this is, and how acurate it is.

Some of those North Philly buses look like APCs. A few are even equipped with a turret and a gunner. Better have the dollar eighty ready

Wow, SEPTA prices are in for a drop soon! grinbig.gif
Slithery D
The one piece of published canon on Philadephia is that Matador used to shoot his shotgun off his porch there when he was a kid. Really, what more do you need to base a campaign there?
Fortune
Wow, SEPTA prices are in for a drop soon!

That's per block! wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Slithery D)
The one piece of published canon on Philadephia is that Matador used to shoot his shotgun off his porch there when he was a kid.

The Striper books do count as canon, some would say unfortunately.
JongWK
Anyone remembers if NAGNA covers the city?
Demonseed Elite
NAGNA does not cover Philly, as much as I can remember.

I don't think Who Hunts the Hunter covers Philly either; the majority of that book takes place in NYC (and is not a very good portrayal of that either).
Fortune
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
I don't think Who Hunts the Hunter covers Philly either; the majority of that book takes place in NYC (and is not a very good portrayal of that either).

True. Pretty much only Striper: Assassin then.
Grinder
QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Oct 20 2006, 12:23 PM)
The one piece of published canon on Philadephia is that Matador used to shoot his shotgun off his porch there when he was a kid.

The Striper books do count as canon, some would say unfortunately.

*raises hand* Here! Here! The books sucked.

To Philly: I heard it's the leading city in the USA in murders per year? Like 400 killed people per year or so?

Is it as depressing as Detroit which seems to be really run-down city today?
Kyoto Kid
....somehow I have difficulty with the concept of a Philly Soy Cheese Steak.
jklst14
No disrespect intended to Detroit but Philly is not that bad. I live here and yes, it has a ton of problems but the city is doing okay. There is a lot of gentrification, investment and new construction and property values are way up. And unlike most cities, downtown Philly is abuzz with nightlife and has seen steady population increases as more people move back.

That being said, there are lots of very run bad parts of town. The murder rate has always been high but it's seen a jump this year. Crime wise, it's probably in the same order of magnitude as DC, Baltimore, Atlanta, Houston etc...

However, nearby Camden NJ (which is right across the river from Philly) is one of the most dangerous cities in the country.

Wakshaani
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
....somehow I have difficulty with the concept of a Philly Soy Cheese Steak.

I was playing with that very notion earlier, in fact.

The main Cheeseteak houses are smoe of teh rare places that still serve real meat, tho this makes their foodstuffs a rather luxurious item.

The second-tier ones sell a "Cheesesteak" which is actually soy, but at a price the common working schlub can afford.

Also, Shadowruns against the prime shops are strictly forbidden.

Only made sense. smile.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Wakshaani)

...definitely a means of gaining more Noteriety.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (Wakshaani)

...definitely a means of gaining more Noteriety.

Been looking over more of teh Philly stuff that was pre-designed and I noticed something odd ... he had Camden Inc (Great concept) as being firmly in Yak hands, rather than the Mob. Seems a bit off, in my mind's eye, but, I'm guessing that he's a natice and had more insider knowledge than I had.

Still, I'm curious, as I would have flipped it, sticking the mob in Camden, but with a fairly loose hand on Philly ... since Camden was a "Made Town" for lack of a better term, they wanted the vice market to go there for, say, gambling intrests, thus kept Philly as a no-gambling zone. They keep control of the docks and industrial area, but don't have much to do with the slum areas. A low end family has control, here, and is chomping at the bit to do more, but those above aren't interested. A second family (Or more likely two or three smaller ones) is in the corporate sector and the middle class/upper middle class region, where they're nigh-legitimate ... Mob Incorporated, in essence. They make with insider stock trading, nepotism contracts, and other "Old Boy Network/Business as Usual" deals, butdon't have an intrest in street-level crime. They deal some in BTL, but realize that junkies are bad for business and, well, they want to make a profit.

This leaves a few options.

In Chinatown, you get the Triads, who pretty much have it locked down, and who are looking to expand a bit, here and there, but really have to absorb blocks culturally before moving in.

The Yaks are the Vicelords, filling the gap that the Mob has raised itself out of. They're heavy into the slums and low lifestyle areas, with drugs, BTLs, and prostitution. They tried to dig into gambling intrests a few years ago, but this brought The Wrath of Camden down upon them and the new Obyan wants none of that, thank you very much. They've largely rebuilt since then and are starting to rub elbows with the one low end family (The one chompnig at the bit mentioned earlier), but, it hasn't broke into a full war yet. Skirmishes, sure, but that's all. The Camden Boys don't seem to care overly much at this stage, but, the Obyan isn't willing top press the issue too hard... in fact, he's trying to reign his crew back, since they're getting cocky.

The Street Gangs are all over the place, with a handful being officially backed by the Big boys, the rest being loose associates ... Several gangs buy BTLs from the Yaks, for example, then sell them on the streets, scrapping with one another now and then for territory. The Yaks wouldn't step in to save either group, but they *do* have one "Pet Gang" for when they need foot soldiers. Ditto for the Mob, and the Triads. The rest of the gangs do their own thing.

But, that's just me brainstorming. I'm curious why he had it virtually reversed from that.
jklst14
If I recall correctly, the idea of Camden Inc (including the Yak parts) is actually from the novel Striper: Assassin.
nezumi
Philly rates well below DC and Baltimore. Depending on who you ask, Baltimore rates somewhere between 2-4 and DC closer to 6-10, with Detroit and New Orleans generally rating in the top two to four spots and, surprisingly enough, sometimes Milwaukee. However I wouldn't be surprised if Philly is in the top 20.

Philly WAS however rated 'the most depressing city in the US' by Men's Health magazine, based on things like availability and use of health clubs, sale of depression medication, so on and so forth.
Grinder
I have no idea how dangerous today's bigger US cities are, but I heard and read several times in the alst months that Philly is on top of it.
Maybe you can give us foreigners here a brief overview about life in Philly, Detroit, Atlanta, DC and all the other "dangerous" cities?
Can one walk around at night? How is the chance to get shot by a junkie/ ganger/ whatever for your sneakers? Is there a violent atmosphere? All that.

You know, german cities tend to be really safe, even at night. Only a few quarters of the bigger ones are dangerous, but I have the feeling that it's nothing compared to the US cities.
Slithery D
Here are 2003 crime statistics, including murder rates, for some US cities. Of those listed, Philadelphia has the seventh highest murder rate, which is roughly half or less that of the top three.
kzt
QUOTE (Grinder)
Can one walk around at night? How is the chance to get shot by a junkie/ ganger/ whatever for your sneakers? Is there a violent atmosphere? All that.

IIRC, in all major US cities you have a lot lower chance of getting mugged then in London. Even homicide tends to be confined to fairly well defined areas and subgroups inside them. (So gang members involved in drugs tend to be very disproportionately represented in homicide victims in violent cities). If you live near a bunch of gang members it does increase you chance of someone accidentally killing you while shooting at them (Gang members typically can't shoot worth a damn).

I worked in Chicago while it was the (numeric) murder capital. I traveled all over dealing with our customers. In most of the city I felt pretty safe. Downtown, the loop, Lincoln park, Halstead etc. I never got robbed, threatened or assaulted in the 5 years I worked there. I did fair amount of walking around at night in many of these area and felt fairly safe. I have no idea how it was wandering around drunk, as I didn't do stupid things like that (had a coworker who got rolled and dumped unconscious in a snow bank when he staggered home blind drunk from a company party once - would have frozen to death if the "the pigs" he hated hadn't called an ambulance when they spotted him.) But there were places that were not really safe.

I was a member of a National Guard unit at 52nd & Cottage Grove, which isn't a very unsafe area, but it's close to areas that were not safe. Down around the Projects on 51st and on State I certainly didn't feel safe. Other areas around there I tried to avoid going through after mid-morning. So I'd typically go out of my way to not drive through the ravaged neighborhoods on the way to the expressways in the evening. These are the places where the only businesses (among the burnt out buildings) are chicken & fast food, liquor stores, beauty shops, and drug stores, with the occasional convenience store.

Black guys I knew who lived there all had stories of being threatened by gang members. One had three guys from Gary chase him in their car, hop out and aim shotguns at him and his friend and ask for their leather jackets. Which they delivered. The lady who saw this from her house called 911, and no cops ever showed. But this is not the typical experience in most of Chicago.

Gary Indiana (a pretty small city) was the per capita murder capital, and it was certainly not a place that made me feel safe the few times I went through on city streets. Mostly all closed or burnt out storefronts, etc. I knew a guy who lived there who had his house burglarized three times in several years. After the first two times (when they broke in via the back door) he had his back door really hardened. The third time they used a chainsaw and cut open the back wall.
Wakshaani
*jot jot jot*

Good info, there.
jklst14
A lot of what KZT says about Chicago would certainly apply to Philly. Crime can happen anywhere of course, but here in Philly, it is disproportionately concentrated in certain areas.

I live in a "good" part of town. People walk around freely at night, groups of kids play unsupervised and women will go jogging alone. In much of Downtown Philly, the main streets are packed with people at night going to restaurants and clubs and I feel comfortable walking around by myself.

That being said, there are many "bad" parts of town. At night, I would hesitate to even drive through these neighborhoods. I've heard (2nd hand) that people are afraid to let their kids play outside, for fear of getting caught in a driveby shooting.

Wakshaani
So, about housing in Philly ... I understand that 'Row houses' are teh norm, backed by apartment buildings which, I'd guess, are mroe expensive/exclusive living areas? What about actual houses... do they exist, or is that purely out in the suburbs? What about tenements? (I think that's the right term ... the kind of slum-ish apartments so often seen in New York movies?)

And on the topic of buildings in general, how tall are we looking? The tallest dozen or so are monster skyscrapers, I'm sure, but the 'normal' parts are, what? A story? Two? Five? Ten? Fifty?
jklst14
There are plenty of rowhouses in Philly, mostly in older neighborhoods downtown and places like South Philly and University City. There are plenty of actual houses inside city limits as well but these are mostly in neighborhoods near the suburbs. There has also been a lot of condos being put up and lots of lofts as well, mostly in Center City. As for exclusivity, prices are nothing compared to say NYC or Boston, but it's still pretty expensive to buy stuff in Center City.

There is a decent skyline, comparable to other similarly sized American cities. The tallest building is One Liberty Place and it's 61 stories. The new Comcast Center that's being built is supposed to be a bit bigger. The average height of buildings vary by neighborhood. There are plenty of big buildings but I'd guess that much of downtown is relatively low rise (less than 5 stories).

I've seen some housing projects in South Philly. Those are low rise and more townhouse style. As for big/soul crushing tenements, I'm sure there are some in places west of University City and in North Philly but I've have very minimal knowledge of those areas.

Hope that helps.

Wakshaani
Helps bunches, yeah. I'm trying to get a big picture in my head and run with it.

Oddly, I was at work when the whole idea first hit me and I sketched my own city map, not having clue one what teh real thing looked like. I should scan a pic of that in, get laughed at, then work with y'all to correct it.

It's not done up in a traditional sense, with streets and such, since, well, I had no access to those at the time. Instead, it's broken into little groupings, like "Slum district" and "Corporate sector".

I only had one river, tho.

Oops!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012