Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell creation discussion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Xenith
Now, with the spell creation rules, I am now wondering about various spell formula.

I'll go over the general guidelines in Street Magic;

Sorcery Cannot Affect anything to which the user does not have a magical link

Sorcery cannot alter the fabric of the space./time continuum

Sorcery cannon divine the future with any certainty

Sorcery cannot summon or banish spirits

Sorcery cannot raise the dead

Srocery cannot creat magical items

Sorcery cannot bridge the gap between the Astral and Physical planes

Sorcery cannot create complex things

Magic is not intelligent

That said, I wonder about various spells that people would be interested in and perhaps what drain codes they would have under spell creation.

The spell I've been wondering about is a spell that would use a forcefield like effect (like armor or physical barrier) create a blade out of a sharply angled Physical Barrier-like effect (though would likely have no piercing point). This seem to fall either into the no Complex things area or at least pokes at the edges of it with a stick.
hyzmarca
Create (Precious Metal) kicks ass as far as spells go and it has precidents (The Wealth power and the Create spells of previous editions).

I'm also interested in an "destroy bodily waste" spell that a person can cast on himself to avoid using the restroom. It would be very useful for important people who fear that their toilet seats will be rigged with bombs or their bidets will be filled with deadly contact poision.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Create (Precious Metal) kicks ass as far as spells go and it has precidents (The Wealth power and the Create spells of previous editions).

The Wealth Spirit Power was included with Streeet Magic. Additional clarification was provided that the materials produced with that power carry the astral signature of the spirit indefinately. I would reccomend a similar restriction for spells like Create (Precious Metal)
Zeitgeist
A more malicious version of the Bugs spell would be grand. If the target fails the test, they think that bugs are UNDER their skin and will go to extremes..."remove" them. Man, I've gotta stop watching X-Files reruns...
Slithery D
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 19 2006, 08:17 PM)

The Wealth Spirit Power was included with Streeet Magic. Additional clarification was provided that the materials produced with that power carry the astral signature of the spirit indefinately. I would reccomend a similar restriction for spells like Create (Precious Metal)

Since you'd have to be on crack to allow such a spell to be anything but sustained, it's not really an issue.
emo samurai
Permanence is only +2 drain. If you roll Edge on the resistance test, you're fine.
hyzmarca
Nah, the trick to that spell is to release it anonymously on the Matrix, watch the metals markets collapse, and snatch up a Mega or two in the aftermath.
Slithery D
QUOTE (emo samurai @ Oct 19 2006, 09:51 PM)
Permanence is only +2 drain. If you roll Edge on the resistance test, you're fine.

No, a GM would have to be on crack to allow it from a game balance perspective. Some spells just can't be made permanent. A +2 drain code is not a universal replacement for Quickening.

The only permanent spells are those that make fairly minor changes (fashion/makeover, healing back to a natural state or with minor enhancements related to a natural biological process) to something or that creat very simple substances (mist, ice). Shapechange/Critter shouldn't be permanent, Influence can only make a simple, single thought semi-permanent (not a major personality change), and complex matter creation (beyond H2O) should also be temporary.
hyzmarca
Permenant complex matter creation (create food) has been canon in previous editions.

However, I should point out that metals are far less complex than H2O so your assertion doesn't help at all.
Slithery D
For these purposes I consider multiple particles in the nucleus to show more "complexity" than a couple of covalent bonds connecting "simple" atoms.

Everyone who is going to allow a permanent [Critter] Form in your game for a +3 drain code, please raise your hand.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Nah, the trick to that spell is to release it anonymously on the Matrix, watch the metals markets collapse, and snatch up a Mega or two in the aftermath.

What metals market? The price of alchemical silver is only 30 nuyen.gif a kilogram. Raw Alchemical Gold comes in at a whopping 1 nuyen.gif per gram. Regular, non-magically useful varieties have got to cost, what, half that? Less?

The price of alchemically usable gold is just over 31 nuyen.gif an ounce. The metals markets have completely collapsed. "Precious" metals aren't worth carrying. A bar of silver is worth less than an equal weight of milk or orange juice.

-Frank
hyzmarca
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 19 2006, 09:51 PM)

What metals market? The price of alchemical silver is only 30 nuyen.gif a kilogram. Raw Alchemical Gold comes in at a whopping 1 nuyen.gif per gram. Regular, non-magically useful varieties have got to cost, what, half that? Less?

The price of alchemically usable gold is just over 31 nuyen.gif an ounce. The metals markets have completely collapsed. "Precious" metals aren't worth carrying. A bar of silver is worth less than an equal weight of milk or orange juice.

-Frank

See? It worked. cool.gif
Big D
I missed a chart somewhere... what's the weight of a "unit" of metal? The only prices I saw were by the abstract-sounding "unit".
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Big D)
I missed a chart somewhere... what's the weight of a "unit" of metal? The only prices I saw were by the abstract-sounding "unit".

Page 40, Magic in the Shadows:

A unit of mineral or metal weighs about 10 kilograms.

That text is missing from Street Magic, but the costs are exactly the same. So in 2063 the price of gold was less than 31 nuyen.gif an ounce. In 2070, the price of a "unit" of gold has not changed. Therefore it's a good assumption that "precious" metals are still worth dick.

-Frank
Slithery D
Well, there are references to the sale of dragon hoards knocking prices back, but that's a bit much... Lofwyr must have had a chunk the size of the moon to buy S-K.
emo samurai
Maybe he had a shitload of telesma and artifacts on top of it. Apparently there are a LOT of wealthy collectors of artifacts in Western Europe.
Jaid
QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
QUOTE (Big D @ Oct 20 2006, 01:54 AM)
I missed a chart somewhere... what's the weight of a "unit" of metal?  The only prices I saw were by the abstract-sounding "unit".

Page 40, Magic in the Shadows:

A unit of mineral or metal weighs about 10 kilograms.

That text is missing from Street Magic, but the costs are exactly the same. So in 2063 the price of gold was less than 31 nuyen.gif an ounce. In 2070, the price of a "unit" of gold has not changed. Therefore it's a good assumption that "precious" metals are still worth dick.

-Frank

on the plus side, at least they don't seem to have dropped in the same way that many other goods have... for example, wired 1 definitely used to cost more than 11,000 nuyen.gif from what i can remember...
Big D
Dang. That just seems odd when you consider making enchanted gear with orichalcum. Or is it assumed that most of the orichalcum by weight dissolves away into the ether when you use it to enchant?
Eryk the Red
Perhaps it doesn't dissolve "into the ether". Maybe it's merely transformed, leaving behind some worthless by-product (heretofore referred to as "gold goo"). Maybe sometimes gold goo is toxic. (That'd be a great glitch side-effect.)
Mr. Unpronounceable
Does it say anywhere that alchemical gold is even remotely pure?

Uncontaminated by toxic waste or non-awakened harvesting yes, but for all we know a 10 kg block of alchemical gold has only a gram or two of what an actual chemist would consider gold.
Slithery D
I think you're right. Check out the side bar on SM pg. 82, which gives examples of alchemical reagents at various stages of purity. A raw unit of alchemical copper, for example is "a crumbly rock with a large green vein running through it." A refined unit of same: "a rough ingot of copper." Radical: "a flawless pearl of pure copper."

I suspect leaving out masses wasn't an accident this time around. A core SR4 philosophy is not providing stats for things unless necessary to give the GM flexibility to do what works in his game. The examples given all indicate that the final radical form is pure and small enough to incorporate into a handheld item, but that's about all the commonality you're going to get or need require. Each rougher form is correspondingly bigger, but exactly how much bigger is going to depend on what kind of material you're dealing with.

So we need not allow the listed SR4 prices and SR3 weight conventions to destroy the metals market. What ticks me off is that the prices of radical metals are so low for the cheap stuff. This stuff is supposed to take quite a lot of man hours to find in restricted and dangerous places. The labor costs should probably overwhelm the value of the underlying metal if it were just melted down and sold for industrial uses. Should radical iron really be that cheap? As cheap or cheaper than every form of animal/plant/herbal radical? Maybe I just don't realize how abundant easy to find common metal deposits are.
Garrowolf
The reason metals are cheap is because of the scale of the operations. Once they find it they remove all of the surrounding landscape to get to it.
Synner
QUOTE (Slithery D @ Oct 21 2006, 12:26 AM)
I think you're right. Check out the side bar on SM pg. 82, which gives examples of alchemical reagents at various stages of purity. A raw unit of alchemical copper, for example is "a crumbly rock with a large green vein running through it." A refined unit of same: "a rough ingot of copper." Radical: "a flawless pearl of pure copper."

I suspect leaving out masses wasn't an accident this time around. A core SR4 philosophy is not providing stats for things unless necessary to give the GM flexibility to do what works in his game. The examples given all indicate that the final radical form is pure and small enough to incorporate into a handheld item, but that's about all the commonality you're going to get or need require. Each rougher form is correspondingly bigger, but exactly how much bigger is going to depend on what kind of material you're dealing with.

Unpronounceable and Slithery D are correct, and the examples were intended to convey exactly that reasoning. While many of the basic prices were carried over from MitS, we saw no reason to follow through with the same reasoning on weights. A "unit" of alchemical whatsoever weighs as much and is only as pure as the GM deems appropriate. If the GM wants to stick with the weight of 10kgs that's his call, SR4 and Street Magic dictate nothing of the sort.
Wakshaani
Fairly safe to say, then, that Create (Gold) via Permancy is Right Out, Synner old bean?

We'll skip the issue of Create (Oricullum), obviously. smile.gif

-- Wak, imagines that there *are* people researching Transform (Lead) to (Gold).
Ryu
Metal transformation could actually work ingame if you required artificing rather than a spell. Would not yield too much profit per hour and give magical companies something to do.
Big D
Is it safe to say that despite the fact that refine/create processes only have to be checked once every 8 hours, you can't do multiple batches at the same time?

On the one hand, the rules allow for you to have a life, meet contacts, do runs as long as you get back within 8 hours, etc. On the other hand, using that same time to manage multiple batches of orichalcum would seem rather unbalancing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012