Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revolvers.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jack Kain
I love the image of the scary revolver, the down side to picking such a weapon as your speciality is its a Single Shot weapon.
Now its a simple action to fire a revolver yes?

Assuming the character in question has ambidexterity. (to avoid anyone bringing up any off hand penalties) Could he not, fire one revolver as a simple action. Then fire the second revolver as his second simple action. With out resorting to the spliting the dice pool which really doesn't help.
Lantzer
Yes.
Glayvin34
Sure.
QUOTE (Page 142)
Firing a single-shot weapon requires only a Simple Action, but that weapon cannot be fired again during the same Action Phase.

Emphasis added.

Edit: And with Quick Draw rules, you can draw them both, too.
Jack Kain
QUOTE (Lantzer @ Oct 23 2006, 09:05 PM)
Yes.

Exellent

Edit: yeah the idea was to fire them both. I assume different hands as drawing a weapon maybe a free action but I don't think puting it away is.
hyzmarca
Or you could get the GM to house-rule a single/double-action revolver that has SS/SA firing modes.

I like the ambidexterity with seperate simple actions route,myself, because it makes the built in reoil compensation of assault cannons actually useful.
WhiskeyMac
Except you can't dual-wield assault cannons so it wouldn't matter. Unless you switched off firing hands with a free action, but that doesn't really make sense. Arsenal will probably have a SA firing revolver like the Colt Asp or the Cavalier Deputy from Cannon Companion.
lorechaser

Assuming the character in question has ambidexterity. (to avoid anyone bringing up any off hand penalties) Could he not, fire one revolver as a simple action. Then fire the second revolver as his second simple action. With out resorting to the spliting the dice pool which really doesn't help.

Going the Matrix route, you can also fire one, drop it (which I would think would be a non-action) then quick draw the next and fire.

edited for clarity.
Eryk the Red
Dropping is a Free Action and Quick Draw can only be used with pistols or pistol-sized weapons.
Fortune
QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
Quick Draw can only be used with pistols or pistol-sized weapons.

Unless you use the Adept Power. wink.gif
lorechaser
Edit: No longer relevant.
Fortune
I believe he was referring to the Panther Assault Cannon mentioned earlier.
eidolon
Just so you know, regardless of any specific weapons listed in the SR material (any edition), there are many dual-action revolvers. I would almost say that they've nearly completely replaced single-action revolvers even today.

The SS label on certain SR revolvers is only a mechanical balancing tool.

That said, make up some revolvers that are dual action. To balance them back out, lower the damage (or whatever is appropriate).
Eryk the Red
That's true. The Warhawk, however, is modelled after a real-world single-action revolver. (I mentioned the same thing a while back and that's when I found this out.) I think it's the Ruger Blackhawk in RL, but I'm not too sure. I'm not much the gun enthusiast.

While there certainly should be the possibility of having SA revolvers in Shadowrun, I can't see much real need to include them. If you choose a revolver, it's because you want that style. If you're so concerned about that level of performance, you might want to get something that carries more than 6 rounds.
kzt
QUOTE (Eryk the Red)
If you choose a revolver, it's because you want that style. If you're so concerned about that level of performance, you might want to get something that carries more than 6 rounds.

You can conceal a small revolver more effectively than most pistols of the same caliber. And most small pistols have very limited magazines, like 6.
Butterblume
You can conceal a small pistol more effectively than most revolvers of the same caliber.  And most revolvers have very limited magazines, like 6.

There. Fixed it for you biggrin.gif.
eidolon
Well...technically they don't have magazines... wink.gif
Butterblume
QUOTE (eidolon)

Technically, you are correct.

(I could point out that in german language the revolver's cylinder is sometimes referred to as magazine, but I won't, because I believe that is, technically, incorrect biggrin.gif).
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Glayvin34)
Edit:  And with Quick Draw rules, you can draw them both, too.

...KK has dual Hidden Gun arm slides for her Warhawks.

If you use dual revolvers though, make sure you also have dual speed loaders since you only get 6 shots each. Of course, with a Warhawk loaded with EXEX, that's 6 Very Big shots each (8DV -4AP).
Butterblume
A third arm might also be nice to reload without having to drop first one revolver, then the other spin.gif.

Since the Warhawk is most likely longer than my forearm, I probably wouldn't allow hidden gun arm slides for them biggrin.gif.
Fortune
I was just going to ask KK how that worked. Aren't Warhawks just a tiny bit too big to be used with arm slides?
kzt
QUOTE (Fortune)
I was just going to ask KK how that worked. Aren't Warhawks just a tiny bit too big to be used with arm slides?

Considering that the reality is that they don't work for anything that seems a safe assumption.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (Fortune)

...nothing in the BBB that says you can't. It just mentions any weapon of pistol size (not delineating between light medium or heavy) to include machine pistols. Of course with Arsenal this may change & then she'll have to go with standard quick draw holsters.

As to the third arm (cyber?), useless for KK since she is an adept.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...nothing in the BBB that says you can't.

I'd chalk that up to lack of detailed writing. We can go on about the whole "we can write books on the things they can list that you can't do", but really it's a common sense issue about the size of your sleeve you're trying to fit the warhawk in to. If it were a troll, I'd say sure, no biggie. Perhaps even an ork with very large sleeves. There's no reason you can't make a bigger arm slide.

Like I keep telling my players, there's "concealable" and "concealed". The difference being something that is technically concealable that you hope no one notices, and something that is acutally concealed. If you don't care about concealment, you could probably rig something up.
kzt
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)

Like I keep telling my players, there's "concealable" and "concealed". The difference being something that is technically concealable that you hope no one notices, and something that is acutally concealed. If you don't care about concealment, you could probably rig something up.

You can hide a full sized shotgun in your pants. It's not exactly well hidden it you tryto move, but it's there.

There is a reason why the only place you see armslides are in bad movies with riverboat gamblers. Which is, in a not unrelated point, an extinct profession.
Raygun
QUOTE (Butterblume @ Oct 24 2006, 05:47 PM)
QUOTE (eidolon)

Technically, you are correct.

(I could point out that in german language the revolver's cylinder is sometimes referred to as magazine, but I won't, because I believe that is, technically, incorrect biggrin.gif).

Actually, it is correct. A magazine is simply a place where ammunition is stored prior to use. A cylinder certainly qualifies as such. So does your pants pocket. Each place in which a round is stored in a revolver just happens to work as a chamber as well. So yes, a revolver does have a magazine.
kzt
QUOTE (Raygun)
A magazine is simply a place where ammunition is stored prior to use.

Very funny. And it's monthly or weekly periodical. Which is ALSO not the usage involved.
WhiskeyMac
You could reload the revolvers video game style. Put one in your armpit, pop in the autoloader for the first revolver, put loaded revolver in opposite armpit, pop in autoloader, drop spent autoloaders, and snap shut revolvers with a quick flick of the wrist. biggrin.gif Tada!

Course, that would probably be more actions than it's worth so probably not a good idea.
eidolon
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 24 2006, 08:34 PM)
QUOTE (Raygun @ Oct 24 2006, 09:19 PM)
A magazine is simply a place where ammunition is stored prior to use.

Very funny. And it's monthly or weekly periodical. Which is ALSO not the usage involved.

And Ray's just trying to be funny with semantics, I suppose, because his given interpretation of "magazine" is loose at best. The closest his take is to being correct would be that described by definition 4 below, which would be pushing it. Yes, you can quickly swap out cylinders in some revolvers, but I suspect that speed loaders are far more common.

"Magazine" in its most common weapons-related usage is typically used to mean "box magazine", the type of mag you have in a automatic pistol, an assault rifle, etc. Militarily, it's second main usage is definition 2, and mostly used by the Navy (the Army for example uses "ammunition(s) depot").

Therefore, in regular, unequivocal language and usage, revolvers have cylinders, not magazines.

As far as a pocketful of shells...don't make me rally around the family. biggrin.gif

mag‧a‧zine  /ˌmægəˈzin, ˈmægəˌzin/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mag-uh-zeen, mag-uh-zeen] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a publication that is issued periodically, usually bound in a paper cover, and typically contains essays, stories, poems, etc., by many writers, and often photographs and drawings, frequently specializing in a particular subject or area, as hobbies, news, or sports.
2. a room or place for keeping gunpowder and other explosives, as in a fort or on a warship.
3. a building or place for keeping military stores, as arms, ammunition, or provisions.
4. a metal receptacle for a number of cartridges, inserted into certain types of automatic weapons and when empty removed and replaced by a full receptacle in order to continue firing.

5. Also called magazine show. Radio and Television.
a. Also called newsmagazine. a regularly scheduled news program consisting of several short segments in which various subjects of current interest are examined, usually in greater detail than on a regular newscast.
b. a program with a varied format that combines interviews, commentary, entertainment, etc.
6. magazine section.
7. Photography. cartridge (def. 4).
8. a supply chamber, as in a stove.
9. a storehouse; warehouse.
10. a collection of war munitions.

QUOTE (WhiskeyMac)
Course, that would probably be more actions than it's worth so probably not a good idea.

Are you kidding??!! It's always a good idea. Hell, I'd give you bullet-time free actions to do it cuz itz teh sex. wink.gif
mfb
QUOTE (eidolon)
And Ray's just trying to be funny with semantics, I suppose, because his given interpretation of "magazine" is loose at best.

his definition isn't loose at all. the word "magazine" can refer to anything from an internal magazine to a clip (detachable box magazine) to a building used to store ammunition. outside of SR game terminology, "magazine" is a general concept that requires descriptors to narrow.

re: Warhawks and arm slides, i think simply requiring (or evn just assuming) wide sleeves/cuffs would work fine. the real problem with hiding a firearm on your forearm isn't the length, it's the thickness (the axis that cross your thumb and forefinger, when you're holding a gun) and the height (pinky to forefinger) of the weapon. most non-compact pistols i've seen are too big to realistically use an armslide with... so using a Warhawk doesn't really make things worse.
eidolon
"Can" is different than "actual usage" however. And saying "a word requires context" doesn't really mean anything, because the last time I checked, people don't go around saying "magazine, magazine?, magazine magazine". They tend to use words in sentences and conversations.

None of that changes anything that I posted.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (mfb)
re: Warhawks and arm slides, i think simply requiring (or evn just assuming) wide sleeves/cuffs would work fine.

Bah. Desperado has proven you can indeed hide handguns the size of Desert Eagles using arm slides, without any visible bulge. And be able to whip them out even if you have narrow sleeves.

=)

eidolon: The definition you quoted for magazine leaves out at least one: internal magazines, such as the tubular magazines of most pump and lever action long arms and semi-automatic shotguns, the stacks of many bolt action rifles, etc. Overall, using common dictionaries for arms, armor and combat related words is a bad idea, because they are often confusing and technically wrong.

The comment which spawned this discussion, "revolvers don't have magazines", of course refers only to one specific type of magazine: removable box magazines, known in Shadowrun as "clips". But when the word "magazine" is used in such a way, ignoring all the other possible meanings of the word, I find it quite appropriate to mention that it can mean a whole host of other things as well -- and that the other meanings may make the original sentence technically incorrect. This is very similar to the whole "clip" vs. "removable box magazine" issue.

Common usage is fine and all, but for technical issues clarity is key.
lorechaser
Magazine?

Magazine magazine. MAGAZINE!

Magazine. dead.gif
Eben McKay
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Magazine?

Magazine magazine. MAGAZINE!

Magazine. dead.gif

Malkovich?
Raygun
QUOTE (eidolon)
And Ray's just trying to be funny with semantics, I suppose, because his given interpretation of "magazine" is loose at best.

It could be that, or it could be that prior to this conversation, you and a few others posting here have understood an incomplete definition of the word "magazine", as it relates to ammunition. Shadowrun has a tendency to inspire that.

Therefore, in regular, unequivocal language and usage, revolvers have cylinders, not magazines.

This should read as follows: "In regular, unequivocal language and usage, revolvers have a type of magazine that we refer to as a 'cylinder'."

We refer to them as "cylinders" as opposed to "magazines" not only because of their basic shape, but because a cylinder performs an additional function beyond simply storing ammunition (again, each storage space is also used as a chamber with the ammunition being fired directly from it). The fact that it stores ammunition prior to use makes the cylinder a type of magazine. The fact that the ammunition is fired directly from a chamber within the cylinder makes it necessary to refer to it as something other than just a "magazine".

Also, I happen to be discussing the "technically correct" meaning of the term, not the "regular, unequivocal language and usage" of the term, which is often technically incorrect.

As far as a pocketful of shells...don't make me rally around the family. biggrin.gif

So long as you understand that a "pocket full of shells" can technically and quite correctly be called a "magazine", I suppose there's no reason for it. wink.gif

4. a metal receptacle for a number of cartridges, inserted into certain types of automatic weapons and when empty removed and replaced by a full receptacle in order to continue firing.

Obviously an incomplete and misleading definition written by a person who is not technically aware. A) A magazine is not required to be made of metal, B) magazines are found on manually-operated firearms as well, C) magazines are not required to be detachable. This definition is obviously meant to refer to a specific type of magazine, the "detachable box magazine", which is often and incorrectly referred to as a "clip" in English vernacular, as Aus previously noted.
eidolon
Thanks for backing up my supposition that you were in the mood to dilly-dally about with semantics. It gives me something to do. biggrin.gif

Yes, the definition given excludes specific mention of tubular internal magazine. It also, if you'll notice, excludes specific mention of "detachable box magazine", "cylinder", "clip (not magazine, clip", "belt", et al. Why? Because those have their own definitions that are more specific.

My point is that you're all going backwards in order to use the word "magazine", which doesn't help the average person at all. It does no good for clarity of definition to regress to an encompassing term. None.

So I stand by my comment that revolvers don't have magazines. Why, how? Because when further defined, they don't. And aren't we all about specifics here?

It's as if a person was asking what the Sopwith Camel was, and you said "it's a vehicle". Clear? No. Helpful? Not really.

On a note of interest, I see that the same people that are arguing that revolvers have magazines are the same that will leap to batter down the poor unsuspecting non-firearms familiar user for suggesting things of the same nature. Yet here you are, arguing that someone should use an unclear and confusing, stretching-required definition for a word. Creating the very situation that you so often attempt to remedy. Curiouser and curiouser.

QUOTE (Raygun)
So long as you understand that a "pocket full of shells" can technically and quite correctly be called a "magazine", I suppose there's no reason for it.

I shall do no such thing. Tis a silly notion. I wouldn't walk up to someone and say "I have a magazine". They would have no idea what I was talking about. On the other hand, "I have a pocket of 9mm bullets" will be easily understood, even if bullet is somewhat subsidiary to cartridge, semantically.

Clarity.

And I would say that we're not discussing clarity from a wholly technical standpoint, because your audience includes non-technical users. So yes, we are talking about common usage here, or at least we should be.

So yes, in conclusion, have fun arguing backwards. wink.gif
ronin3338
Wait...

You mean my magazine subscription isn't going to deliver ammo to my door?

silly.gif
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (eidolon)
It's as if a person was asking what the Sopwith Camel was, and you said "it's a vehicle".

But that's not at all like how this discussion got started. The original comment was as if a person stated that the Sopwith Camel is not a vehicle.

QUOTE (eidolon)
It also, if you'll notice, excludes specific mention of "detachable box magazine" [...]

Although the description is faulty, as Raygun pointed out above, detachable box magazines are exactly what the 4th definition is referring to. The implication is that the word "magazine" does not in common usage refer to any other kind of small arm feed device but detachable box magazines. Which is not true, for a given value of common usage.

QUOTE (eidolon)
On a note of interest, I see that the same people that are arguing that revolvers have magazines are the same that will leap to batter down the poor unsuspecting non-firearms familiar user for suggesting things of the same nature.

I have no recollection of battering down poor unsuspecting newbies with less than perfect understanding of how firearms function, but I am truly sorry if I have done such a thing.

QUOTE (eidolon)
Yet here you are, arguing that someone should use an unclear and confusing, stretching-required definition for a word.

I have no idea where you get the impression we're arguing something like that. As far as I can tell, the whole point is that you should use clear terms to make sure everybody understands what you mean. I believe what Raygun was getting at is that it is not optimal to use a word (motorized vehicle, sport, magazine) to refer only to a subcategory (cars, track & field, detachable box magazine), since eventually that will get you into trouble ("Sopwith Camel is not a motorized vehicle", "Ice hockey is not a sport", "Revolvers don't have magazines").

Meanings of words shifting over time is natural and not a problem in itself -- and I'd be damn glad if media started calling detachable box magazines "magazines" instead of "clips" -- but it is problematic when that results in a complete break-up between the "common usage" English and "technically correct" English.

QUOTE (eidolon)
[...] even if bullet is somewhat subsidiary to cartridge, semantically.

To a similar extent that "wheels" is subsidiary to "car". Which might be an even better comparison than I initially thought... smile.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 25 2006, 06:40 PM)
Thanks for backing up my supposition that you were in the mood to dilly-dally about with semantics.  It gives me something to do. biggrin.gif

Your statement "technically [revolvers] don't have magazines", is, as a matter of fact, technically incorrect. Just making sure you and anyone else who looks at this thread are aware of it. Didn't say that we don't normally call the magazine of a revolver a cylinder. We most certainly do. It just doesn't have much to do with the point I was trying to make.

My point is that you're all going backwards in order to use the word "magazine", which doesn't help the average person at all. It does no good for clarity of definition to regress to an encompassing term. None.

Of course it does. It helps the average person understand the term correctly. A magazine is a place where ammunition is stored prior to use. As such, anything attached to or part of a firearm that is used to store ammunition is a magazine. Including a revolver cylinder. See? Just trying to be technically correct here.

So I stand by my comment that revolvers don't have magazines. Why, how? Because when further defined, they don't.

And if you continue to make statements like this, I will continue to correct them. Technically speaking, a revolver does in fact have a magazine. We tend to call it a "cylinder" in English. Other languages differ. For example, in German, they tend to call it a "magazine" because technically, that's exactly what it is.

It's as if a person was asking what the Sopwith Camel was, and you said "it's a vehicle". Clear? No. Helpful? Not really.

It clearly helps you understand that a Sopwith Camel is not an animal, does it not? At any rate, this is a false analogy. The comment I corrected wasn't analogous to "what is a Sopwith Camel?" it was analogous to "the Sopwith Camel doesn't have an engine." Which is false. It doesn't have a jet engine, but it most certainly does have an engine.

On a note of interest, I see that the same people that are arguing that revolvers have magazines are the same that will leap to batter down the poor unsuspecting non-firearms familiar user for suggesting things of the same nature. Yet here you are, arguing that someone should use an unclear and confusing, stretching-required definition for a word.

I am arguing no such thing. I am telling you, and everyone else who reads this thread, that the cylinder of a revolver is, technically speaking, a magazine. I'm not asking you to call it anything else. Call it a cylinder. I do. I was simply attempting to make anyone who reads this thread aware that a revolver does, as a matter of pure technical fact, have a magazine, and that your statement otherwise was, as a matter of pure technical fact, 100% false.

I shall do no such thing. Tis a silly notion. I wouldn't walk up to someone and say "I have a magazine". They would have no idea what I was talking about. On the other hand, "I have a pocket of 9mm bullets" will be easily understood, even if bullet is somewhat subsidiary to cartridge, semantically.

And we come to yet another example of your lack of attention to detail...
QUOTE (Raygun)
So long as you understand that a "pocket full of shells" can technically and quite correctly be called a "magazine", I suppose there's no reason for it.

Notice the lack of the word "should" in place of "can". I would have thought that was clear enough.

And I would say that we're not discussing clarity from a wholly technical standpoint, because your audience includes non-technical users. So yes, we are talking about common usage here, or at least we should be.

Hmm. I would have thought that having made the statement "technically [revolvers] don't have magazines" you would have picked up on the fact that I was commenting on just how technically correct the statement was.

So, repeating for the non-technical users: eidolon was wrong to say that a revolver doesn't technically have a magazine. Technically, it does. We just call it a "cylinder".

Good?
Ryu
Material management defines a magazine as somthing providing storage in an ordered state. The cylinder of a revolver hopefully does provide that function.

And material management has a solid historical base in military logistics, so the definition should fit.
Exodus
QUOTE (Raygun)
QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 25 2006, 06:40 PM)
Thanks for backing up my supposition that you were in the mood to dilly-dally about with semantics.  It gives me something to do. biggrin.gif

Your statement "technically [revolvers] don't have magazines", is, as a matter of fact, technically incorrect. Just making sure you and anyone else who looks at this thread are aware of it. Didn't say that we don't normally call the magazine of a revolver a cylinder. We most certainly do. It just doesn't have much to do with the point I was trying to make.

Here is the definition of a magazine from the NRAs website

MAGAZINE
A spring-loaded container for cartridges that may be an integral part of the gun`s mechanism or may be detachable. Detachable magazines for the same gun may be offered by the gun`s manufacturer or other manufacturers with various capacities. A gun with a five-shot detachable magazine, for instance, may be fitted with a magazine holding 10, 20, or 50 or more rounds. Tube or tubular magazines run through the stock or under the barrel with the cartridges lying horizontally.

Another thing to take into consideration as well is that a magazine IS NOT part of the action. An action is the area in which the bullet is fired. In rifles, shotguns and pistols its a chamber in the barrel closed by a bolt, in a revolver it is the cylinder, well kind of. the cylinder is not a magazine, that is like saying the chamber in a singleshot, side by side, or over/under are magazines.
Raygun
QUOTE (Exodus @ Oct 25 2006, 08:52 PM)

MAGAZINE
A spring-loaded container for cartridges that may be an integral part of the gun`s mechanism or may be detachable. Detachable magazines for the same gun may be offered by the gun`s manufacturer or other manufacturers with various capacities. A gun with a five-shot detachable magazine, for instance, may be fitted with a magazine holding 10, 20, or 50 or more rounds. Tube or tubular magazines run through the stock or under the barrel with the cartridges lying horizontally.

A simple failure to include (along with several other magazine types) and overall not a very accurate definition. Fact: not all magazines are spring loaded. Case in point: Gatling gun. Top loaded magazine, gravity fed. There are others.

Again: Any place in which ammunition is stored prior to use is a magazine. Period. There isn't any way around it. Look in every single respectable english dictionary on the planet and I'd say there's about a 99% chance that it's the one definition that will be in every single one of them. As a revolver cylinder performs that task without question, it qualifies.

Another thing to take into consideration as well is that a magazine IS NOT part of the action.

As in "a magazine CANNOT BE part of the action"? Who told you that?

An action is the area in which the bullet is fired.

Incorrect. The area in which the bullet is fired is called the "chamber". The action is the area of the firearm that feeds ammunition from storage and into line with the barrel bore, ready for firing. Here's the NRA's definition:
ACTION: The working mechanism of a firearm. Various types exist, including single-shots, multi-barrels, revolvers, slide- or pump-actions, lever-actions, bolt-actions, semi-automatics and automatics.

In rifles, shotguns and pistols its a chamber in the barrel closed by a bolt, in a revolver it is the cylinder, well kind of.  the cylinder is not a magazine, that is like saying the chamber in a singleshot, side by side, or over/under are magazines.

It is absolutely nothing of the sort. Single shots, side-by-sides, and over unders are not repeating weapons. They either do not store cartridges ready for use within the weapon or they have a second barrel with an integral chamber that's already loaded. They do not have magazines.
Exodus
QUOTE (Exodus @ Oct 25 2006, 08:52 PM)

MAGAZINE

A simple failure to include (along with several other magazine types) and overall not a very accurate definition. Fact: not all magazines are spring loaded. Case in point: Gatling gun. Top loaded magazine, gravity fed. There are others.

Again: Any place in which ammunition is stored prior to use is a magazine. Period. There isn't any way around it. Look in every single respectable english dictionary on the planet and there's probably about a 99% chance that it's the one definition that will be in every single one of them. As a revolver cylinder performs that task without question, it qualifies.
its obvious that we've strayed from the realm of conversation, because now all we are arguing is symantics.

Another thing to take into consideration as well is that a magazine IS NOT part of the action.

As in "a magazine CANNOT BE part of the action"? Who told you that?

I said IS NOT not CANNOT, and the answer to your question is personal expirience. I have handled firearms for the last 10 years, and I consider myself an apt gunsmith too boot.

An action is the area in which the bullet is fired.

Incorrect. The area in which the bullet is fired is called the "chamber". The action is the area of the firearm that feeds ammunition from storage and into line with the barrel bore, ready for firing. Here's the NRA's definition:
ACTION: The working mechanism of a firearm. Various types exist, including single-shots, multi-barrels, revolvers, slide- or pump-actions, lever-actions, bolt-actions, semi-automatics and automatics.

On a technicality your right, but only because this is taken out of context of what I was originally getting to. A Chamber you are correct is where the round is fired, but a chamber is part of the whole action.

In rifles, shotguns and pistols its a chamber in the barrel closed by a bolt, in a revolver it is the cylinder, well kind of.  the cylinder is not a magazine, that is like saying the chamber in a singleshot, side by side, or over/under are magazines.

It is absolutely nothing of the sort. Single shots, side-by-sides, and over unders are not repeating weapons. They either do not store cartridges ready for use within the weapon or they have a second barrel with an integral chamber that's already loaded. They do not have magazines. 

So because these guns only have chambers, they can't have magazines is this right? Well if that is indeed the case the same applies to a revolver, because each chamber in the cylinder is just that a chamber.

Like I had said you and I are argueing symantics and rhetoric, so I am done.
Raygun
QUOTE (Exodus)
its obvious that we've strayed from the realm of conversation, because now all we are arguing is symantics.

Tends to happen when you get into arguing about definitions.

I said IS NOT not CANNOT, and the answer to your question is personal expirience.

So a cylinder IS NOT a magazine because you say so? Fair enough. I think I've provided plenty of evidence to the contrary.

I have handled firearms for the last 10 years, and I consider myself an apt gunsmith too boot.

Cool. So do I.

On a technicality your right, but only because this is taken out of context of what I was originally getting to. A Chamber you are correct is where the round is fired, but a chamber is part of the whole action.

I apologize. I thought you meant it as a general statement. In the context of a revolver, the chambers, as part of the cylinder, are an integral part of the action. Since multiple cartridges are stored out of firing position and the action rotates them into position, the cylinder functions as a magazine as well.

So because these guns only have chambers, they can't have magazines is this right?

No. Because each chamber is integral with a barrel, the cartridge doesn't have to be moved in order to fire it. Hence, no magazine.

Like I had said you and I are argueing symantics and rhetoric, so I am done.

Okay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012