Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unwired Date
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
laughingowl
>Any plans (and if so timeline) for Matrix / Technomancer rule book.

We are planning to release Unwired in August of 2007.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a partial from corresponce with one of the developers. Was general questions so no indication is was 'private' knowledge though I havent seen it posted elsewhere yet.

Just thought people might like to know
ShadowDragon
The only reason I really want Unwired is because the rules explanation for hacking is currently incomplete. I HOPE they don't drop the ball again with the upcoming FAQ, which is supposed to be out "before Christmas."

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...efore+christmas
laughingowl
Agree on the incomplete part.

It the one reason I was really hoping it would be closer to first, though sort of doubted it.

Augmented while I am sure I will use abuse and break, I can easily get by with the core book.

Likewise while I do like Street Magic, I coudl live without.

The gear book I am sure I will like but can get by with whats in the book and or makign house rules for invidual needs.

Hacking / Technomancers right now have pretty big holes in the core/base rules. Getting the expanded rules for them will hopefully address actual missing rules, rather then expanding a functioning system.

WHile I will buy them all (PDF and hardcopy) the day they are released... Unwired is the one I feel is NEEDED to fix missing rules / holes.
Fortune
Funny. I want all the other books before Unwired, so the schedule works for me. biggrin.gif
Konsaki
I want Unwired as the next book out. The matrix is a big portion of the game now, with everything wireless.
I really want more information on TM's, though I hope they dont gimp more than the karma sink they are with the core book.
Serbitar
QUOTE (laughingowl @ Oct 24 2006, 04:44 AM)

Hacking / Technomancers right now have pretty big holes in the core/base rules.  Getting the expanded rules for them will hopefully address actual missing rules, rather then expanding a functioning system.

WHile I will buy them all (PDF and hardcopy) the day they are released...  Unwired is the one I feel is NEEDED to fix missing rules / holes.

I very much agree on that. Though, at the moment, Unwired is planned as an expansion and not a clarification/fixing of the existing core rules, just like Street Magic . . .
This was mentioned here a couple of times by some devs/freelancers.
Synner
As has been repeated several times, there are continuity reasons for Unwired and the advanced Matrix rules coming out later. We wanted to keep the core books as complete and self-contained as possible, and once Emergence is released at least some of the reasons will be obvious.

Unwired will complement the rules in the basic book with advanced rules and options. It will not revise or correct rules (some fixes may meanwhile appear in SR4 errata, but that's it) but all content will be plug ins, offering greater detail and more options regarding existing mechanics.
dog_xinu
The target date I have heard is GenCon Indy 2007. This book was last of the 4 core expansion books due to the amount of change in it over the other ones. StreetMagic, Aresenal, & Augmenation is all updated rules, updated stuff from SR3 to SR4. The biggest changes were in Rigging/Hacking. therefore it will take much longer to produce since they are working very hard to make sure there is no glaring loopholes, and everything is well balanced. And to date, they have done a great job. I love quality over quanity any day.

dog
ShadowDragon
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 24 2006, 01:25 PM)
As has been repeated several times, there are continuity reasons for Unwired and the advanced Matrix rules coming out later. We wanted to keep the core books as complete and self-contained as possible, and once Emergence is released at least some of the reasons will be obvious.

Unwired will complement the rules in the basic book with advanced rules and options.  It will not revise or correct rules (some fixes may meanwhile appear in SR4 errata, but that's it) but all content will be plug ins, offering greater detail and more options regarding existing mechanics.

Right, but even advanced rules will give more context for current rules. I never expected Unwired to completely rewrite anything. I just need some more examples of hacking. The core book only has 1 of the little italisized examples for hacking that's not even very useful (and 1 more for technomancers), vs 5 good ones for magic and over a dozen for combat. And yet hacking is SR4's newest ruleset. You know what my group thinks about hacking? That even FanPro doesn't understand it, and that's why it's taken over a year for a FAQ, and that's why Unwired is the last core suppliment on the queue. I don't mean to sound condescending, but DOES FanPro really understand everything about SR4 hacking rules?
laughingowl
Synner:

Pretty much agree with ShadowDragon.

I know no 'existing' rule will be changed, or even errata'd (as part of unwired). However hopefully ~200 pages (presuming same size as Street Magic) will give us a better understanding of how ALL the rules (new advanced options AND the base rules) are supposed to work.

Much like street magic doesn't 'change' any old rules, the examples / rules in it do help people understand what the 'core rules' are supposed to be. (see healing drain threads smile.gif

Though I do really like the product (even if it does take getting used to, and pretty sure we will be establishing extensive house ruling, though then again we did for 1-3, be dumb to think 4 would be different smile.gif
Adam
I don't mean to sound condescending, but DOES FanPro really understand everything about SR4 hacking rules?

The people that understand them best are the people that are the busiest dealing with business issues and actually trying to push new Shadowrun books out the door.
Garrowolf
I'm not going to even bother with the Unwired book. I have house ruled Technomancers and Hackers (and Riggers for that matter) so much that I don't really care what they have to say. It's probably not going to completely change the basic rules and that is what I have problems with. Adding more details will just make it worse.

Unless they are going to have simplified or alternate systems I'm not really interested.
Synner
QUOTE (ShadowDragon @ Oct 25 2006, 04:25 AM)
That even FanPro doesn't understand it, and that's why it's taken over a year for a FAQ, and that's why Unwired is the last core suppliment on the queue.

And they'd still be wrong. As I've mentioned before, after you've read Emergence some of the reasons we've held off on the advanced Matrix rules will be obvious.

QUOTE (ShadowDragon)
I don't mean to sound condescending, but DOES FanPro really understand everything about SR4 hacking rules?

What Adam said. Personally, I've been using them for almost two years now without significant problems. Does that currently call for GM fiat on a number of things? Yep (though no more so than many of the other areas of the game), but my group has added no houserules except to say that the current caps on hardware and programs are for commercially available commlinks and office equivalents.

Some of your doubts may be resolved by the FAQ and errata we've been working on and we are considering a couple of full walkthroughs (similar to the IGTTM threads), though whether those would be in Unwired proper or as a website freebee is still too early to tell.

QUOTE (laughingowl)
I know no 'existing' rule will be changed, or even errata'd (as part of unwired). However hopefully ~200 pages (presuming same size as Street Magic) will give us a better understanding of how ALL the rules (new advanced options AND the base rules) are supposed to work.

That is the intention.
Mistwalker
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 25 2006, 02:53 AM)
we are considering a couple of full walkthroughs (similar to the IGTTM threads), though whether those would be in Unwired proper or as a website freebee is still too early to tell.

Could we get the walkthroughs as a website freebee, preferably sometime just after Emergence comes out?

As has been mentioned, having a few good solid examples would help clarify how the rules are supposed to work.
Bull
QUOTE (Mistwalker)
QUOTE (Synner @ Oct 25 2006, 02:53 AM)
we are considering a couple of full walkthroughs (similar to the IGTTM threads), though whether those would be in Unwired proper or as a website freebee is still too early to tell.

Could we get the walkthroughs as a website freebee, preferably sometime just after Emergence comes out?

As has been mentioned, having a few good solid examples would help clarify how the rules are supposed to work.

Once the FAQ gets finished and I see how the Hacking stuff I did up for it got handeled, I'll see about doing a basic walkthrough of some of the more common hacking uses.

Bull
Mistwalker
Thanks, that would be much appreciated.
zero skill LPB
Yes, examples would be most awesome. My group is about 2/3 through On The Run and I'm still struggling through the Matrix learning curve.

Thanks!
ShadowDragon
What Adam said. Personally, I've been using them for almost two years now without significant problems. Does that currently call for GM fiat on a number of things? Yep (though no more so than many of the other areas of the game), but my group has added no houserules except to say that the current caps on hardware and programs are for commercially available commlinks and office equivalents.

If you've been able to run the hacking with no problems you know something about the hacking rules that I don't. As is, just about the entirety of hacking is ruled by fiat or houserules in my group. The rules as written just make no sense for many actions. Hell, the guy who wanted to play a hacker in my group is a literal rocket scientist (has the engineering college degree and everything) and he can't figure them out. eek.gif

Some of your doubts may be resolved by the FAQ and errata we've been working on and we are considering a couple of full walkthroughs (similar to the IGTTM threads), though whether those would be in Unwired proper or as a website freebee is still too early to tell.

That would be great if you could include it with the FAQ as a freebee. It seems wrong to charge for something that should've been in the core book sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012