Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Fanpro planning PDF increases?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
blakkie
I'm asking because some info about the RPGNow/DriveThru *spits* merger has been confirmed by another publisher.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/HLSS/message/3511

For those without a Yahoo Groups login, the pertanent parts is:

QUOTE (Richard A. Johnson @ Rattrap Productions)
... The reason for this change
is that RPGNow will be raising the amount they take
off each sale by about 30% from current levels (about
17% if I sign an exclusive agreement with them). ...

Now Fanpro does change the majority of paper copy list price for their PDF. So are you planning on eating that difference, or are you going to start doing the very uncool thing of changing the same price for PDF as for paper?
Adam
There are currently no plans for price changes, but this merger did happen very suddenly, so we haven't yet had chance to sit back and run a bunch of numbers.

Bear in mind that not all publishers are seeing such a huge increase in royalties being taken, depending on the way their accounts were configured on each site.
Casper
Way to really choke the industry that is already strained.
Adam
Well, it's not like there aren't other options -- e23, Paizo, Key 20, and probably a few more that aren't coming to mind right away. I know at least one publisher [Atlas Games] is moving entirely over to e23. And, of course, some publishers, such as Green Ronin, simply handle their ebook sales in-house.

I think the DTRPG/RPGNow merger is going to confuse people for awhile, though, and that has a potential to hurt business.
lorechaser
lulu.com and Indie Press Revolution are always options as well.

Yeah, I wonder how this is gonna affect things for DTRG/RPGn.

And RPGNow has a ton of levels - I'd bet the main increase is on the little guy.

eidolon
Adam (and others), are there any plans for Fanpro to start handling their own PDF sales, and if not, why?
JongWK
Don't forget about Battlecorps. They sell FanPro's PDFs without watermarks.
kzt
QUOTE (JongWK)
Don't forget about Battlecorps. They sell FanPro's PDFs without watermarks.

Except that you can't acually BUY anything from them, as it errors out most of the time.
Ancient History
<shrug> Always worked for me so far.
Adam
QUOTE (eidolon)
Adam (and others), are there any plans for Fanpro to start handling their own PDF sales, and if not, why?

Not in the near future; there's just too much other stuff that needs to get finished.
eidolon
Is it a lack of available manpower then? And I assume that there's a good reason if that's the case, such as ROI being too low to have someone specifically working on that.
JongWK
Anyone who wants more information might want to check this thread at The RPG Site, where a number of small press publishers voice their (mostly negative) opinions.
lorechaser
Indeed. I have yet to hear anything good from a publisher.

Except for Steve Jackson games (aka Warehouse 23), which is now poised to leapfrog DTRPGNow....
Kairo
QUOTE (Ancient History)

Same here. I've never had any problems with downloading pdf products from Battlecorps.
FlakJacket
QUOTE (kzt)
Except that you can't acually BUY anything from them, as it errors out most of the time.

Really? I've bought a number of books through them and never had the slightest problem. Has this been happening to you all the time?
JongWK
QUOTE (Kairo)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Oct 27 2006, 10:23 AM)

Same here. I've never had any problems with downloading pdf products from Battlecorps.

I'll third that. I've downloaded stuff from them without any problem.
Fortune
Me too. (I love productive posts! wink.gif )

Maybe it's your connection that is to blame.
eidolon
What browser are you using? It might be that you have a corrupted file stored somewhere. Try clearing all of its stored information.

And connection is the next thing I'd look at, like Fortune said.
Adam
QUOTE (eidolon)
Is it a lack of available manpower then? And I assume that there's a good reason if that's the case, such as ROI being too low to have someone specifically working on that.

Basically, yes. Since we already had one of the fuller-featured accounts at RPGNow, we already paid the largest royalty fee, and so this hike isn't as painful for FanPro as it is for some smaller publishers and PDF-only publishers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012