Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Increased Attribute Spells Limits
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Faelan
Well I ran SR way back in 1st edition and dabbled in 2nd and 3rd, but 4th has brought me back because the mechanics finally make sense to me, anyway I have a question and have been unable to discover a consensus in past topics as to how a specific spell is applied. In SR 4 attributes are limited to a certain augmented maximum. Items or powers that augment these attributes appear to always make mention to this augmented maximum and how the item or power interacts with it except in one instance. The instance in question is of course the Increased Attribute Spells. Are they limited by this maximum augmentation or not. Based on the language of the spell and the consistency displayed in all other instances I would have to lean towards no they are not limited, and that the force of the spell would limit how many potential applicable hits could be applied.

Opinions would be appreciated.
Fortune
There are a few instances where the delineation between what adds to an Attribute and what just adds to the Dice Pool are not clear.

In this case, I believe that it should be ruled in the same manner as an Adept's Increase Attribute Power, which is subject to the Attribute maximum. The reasoning behind this is that the Spell is actually adding to the Attribute itself, instead of just gaining dice for specific actions or partial functions.
Jaid
yeah, the increase attribute spell actually increases the attribute. since it actually increases the attribute, it is absolutely subject to the limit. given it's augmenting the attribute, i would say it is subject to the augmented limit as opposed to the natural limit.

now, if you were to devise a spell that, for example, gives +X to certain tests based on a given attribute, then that would not be limited by the augmented attribute limit, since it is not augmenting the attribute itself, but merely adds to the dice pool.
Garrowolf
One thing I would suggest is to figure the boost based on their pre metahuman stats. That way it doesn't exclude Trolls because their strength is already high. Definately keep the augmentation bonus but not the metahuman bonus for the purposes of the spell. That way you can boost them if you want to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012