Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: direct access to your brain
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Snow_Fox
Ok I've been watching a lot of Stand Alone Complex on Cn but it does raise an idea. In one of the older SR novels a decker is tortured by a divice plugged directly into her data jack.

Am I missing osmething in the ruels already or is this a possibility. create something designed as an attack board and jack into a person's brain directly? could it work? how much control/damage could you do?
your deck vs their naked brain. brrr. cyber.gif
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Oct 27 2006, 10:49 PM)
Ok I've been watching a lot of Stand Alone Complex on Cn but it does raise an idea. In one of the older SR novels a decker is tortured by a divice plugged directly into her data jack.

Am I missing osmething in the ruels already or is this a possibility. create something designed as an attack board and jack into a person's brain directly? could it work? how much control/damage could you do?
your deck vs their naked brain. brrr. cyber.gif

That's easy, really. Just grab a simsense copy of Die Hard and extract the pain track from the scene with McClain has to walk over broken glass. Just boost them up to BTL levels, burn it to a new chip, and set it to loop.

Sadistic people would find simrecording of every type of pain that the human body can feel (and some uniquely inhuman pains) and mix them together at BTL levels. Others might add in some unimaginable depression and emotional pain, as well. Grab the impotent suffering of a parent forced to watch a beloved child being butchred or something like that to add to the mix.

With a simple BTL simchip you can destroy someone in many ways with little effort.

You could also create a deck loaded with black IC designed to attack its own persona (and the person jacked in).
mfb
the decker in that novel--Shadowplay, i believe--was a special case, because she had a severe, psychotropic IC-induced phobia of simsense and jacking in. literally all they had to do to torture her was plug her into a cyberdeck or other simsense device; her psychosis did all the rest.

that said, you certainly could torture someone via their datajack, simply by plugging them into a simsense deck that's running a torturous sim. as hyzmarca pointed out, you could run a torture BTL if you wanted to, but i wouldn't rule that as being strictly necessary.

oh, and if you liked GitS:SAC, make sure you watch Solid State Society as soon as you can get ahold of it. it is awesome.
Firewall
I have always been fond of the idea that the datajack, being a standard size, could have an electric guitar plugged into it. I seem to remember that datajacks use fibre-optics but the idea is still amusing; the waveform from a guitar is chaotic enough to hurt those delicate circuits...
Dog
Yeah, SF, What you're describing could easily be called a nasty BTL or perhaps some kind of black ice. Or maybe it was just a infinitely looped episode of Barney and Friends or something....
Snow_Fox
hmmm. thanks guys. sure a BTL could go to town, I guess you could also trap someone, I mena the BTL/horror sim has you as control and they can't get out, ugly nightmare time, but what aboput sifting their headware for details.? any ideas?
knasser
The works of Richard Morgan detail a future in which minds are downloadable. This is ahead of Shadowrun technology, but it's generally considered a given in this world that given access to someone's stack (the cortical implant that is like a RAID array for the brain), no-one can withhold information from their iterrogator and there are numerous 'torture' programs that can be run on someone to break them down.

His ideas are not unlike SIM technology, although the torture process is faster because you can overclock people when they're running on hardware, compressing days into minutes.

I would imagine that in addition to interrogation BTL's ( "Renraku denies all knowledge of such technology" ), there are also more interactive versions that allow the interrogator to control the entire simulated environment in real time.

Nasty? Yes - very.

-K.
Kagetenshi
I would imagine that there's a fair amount of research into how to get someone, whether deliberately (through coercion/trickery) or accidentally (through reflex), to dump information out through their datajack. How far along this research is, and how reliable it is, I can't guess.

~J
Snow_Fox
Now you've given me ideas. vegm.gif
Toptomcat
I would imagine that in addition to interrogation BTL's ( "Renraku denies all knowledge of such technology" ), there are also more interactive versions that allow the interrogator to control the entire simulated environment in real time.

There's a published 2nd Ed adventure...I think set in D.C... on this very premise of an immersive, adaptable virtual reality, though not used for the purposes of torture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012