Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Node idea
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
GrinderTheTroll
So my idea is to give each Node "Resorce Points" (RP) equal to Response x System. So a Rating-5 Node would have 25 RP. The total Rating of all Programs running on the Node count towards the RP available.

If you exceed the RP (25 in this example) you effectively reduce the Reponse Rating 1 point for Tests and programs runnings would be at an effective -1 Rating while running in the Node. System would remain unchanged.

Some examples for Node-5 (25 RP):
- Running x6 Rating-4 programs = 24 RP (6x4=24), no Response loss.
- Running x6 Rating-5 programs = 30 RP (6x5=30), Reponse -1 for Tests and -1 program Ratings.
- Running x11 Rating-5 = 55 RP (5x11=55), -2 Reponse for Tests, -2 program Ratings.
- Running x4 Rating-3, x3 Rating-4 programs = 24 RP (4x3=12, 3x4=12), no Response loss.

Yes it does incur some overhead, but it gives you a more detailed way to manage variable Rating program loads and allow Nodes to have "basic" programs like Encrypt and Analyze running (albeit at lower ratings) without having to sacrifice too much.

Another point about RAW program definition and load is that "internal" Node database or application do incur load, or are at least, not defined in SR4 RAW. You could more specifically, define "R&D Database/Application" an RP amount (5+ RP?) it uses as part of it's native software and still provide other basic functions.

This would make an R&D Node-5 (25RP) running am R&D-type Database/Application, incur 5 RP load, leaving 20 RP for other resources.

Your thoughts are welcome!

Thanks,
~GTT
Blade
I like the idea, it may need some tweaking and balancing, but I like it.

About "internal" applications, Edit does a lot of things such applications may do. You can combine it with an agent for more complex applications, but basically Edit covers nearly every internal application I may think of.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Blade @ Oct 31 2006, 02:17 PM)
I like the idea, it may need some tweaking and balancing, but I like it.

About "internal" applications, Edit does a lot of things such applications may do. You can combine it with an agent for more complex applications, but basically Edit covers nearly every internal application I may think of.

The R&D Node is running a database application (software that manages data manipulation/retreival). This application is considerably more resource intensive than Edit, yet those type of Nodal programs/application have no resource allocation in SR4. It was this idea that lead me to think about how to differently look at programs inside the Node. Yes, you could say that Edit is a sufficiently adequet abstract representation of the database program and that's probably simpler in the long term.

[Edited original post]
Blade
Actually, I liked the fact that nearly every kind of application can be seen as a common-use program. You don't have to think a lot about what application the node may run as some common-use program cover it all.

In an online store node, you may need something to help customers locate what they want : that's a Browse program. In a corporate office node, you just need an Edit program, it covers nearly everything an office worker might use. In a factory node, the only program you need to control all the equipment is the Command program...
If the tasks are demanding, just add an agent (loaded with a virtual friend program if you want to give him a personnality) and have him use the program : it will guide the customer through the online store and coordinate the equipment of the factory.

That's why I think that considering more precise application isn't really useful.
OneTrikPony
i like it too except; my cyber arm, my smartlink, my music player my vector zim comlink... all being individual devices are all "nodes". (I can't see any other way to read the BBB.)

I know that Ginder is talking about what used to be called "hostes" in SR3 but as far as i can see there is no such thing as a host anymore.

why won't this lead to;
A- a hacker Running x6 Rating-4 AGENTS
B- old school decking were the team hacker sits in a room in some other place jacked into his "NODE" since he can't have a comlink that can run 6 agents

I am not gripeing or criticyzing it's something i need to have solved befor I start my own game and I'd really like to know how people handle this. If this is available why can't your players have it?
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (OneTrikPony)
i like it too except; my cyber arm, my smartlink, my music player my vector zim comlink... all being individual devices are all "nodes". (I can't see any other way to read the BBB.)

I know that Ginder is talking about what used to be called "hostes" in SR3 but as far as i can see there is no such thing as a host anymore.

I am not talking about hosts at all but simple suggestings another way to manage programs on a node. Instead of (System) number of programs reducing Reponse (which is regardless of program rating btw) you would allow (System x Reponse) "Resource Points" worth of Rating to determine the Reponse decrease.

I understand fully that SR4 no longer has "hosts" as they existed prior, but "Systems" and "Devices" all of which are "Nodes". It's really dependant on what scale you choose to use for various systems.

You can abstract an entire corporation to a single Node or define it as 100. The very generalize simplicity it what makes it harder to digest IMO.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012