Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reflex Recorder
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Fortune
Alright, I'll try this again ... this time hopefully without the brain freeze ... biggrin.gif

The quote ...

QUOTE (SR4-pg. 340)
Reflex Recorder: With this enhancement, extra neural
material is grown in small clusters around the thirtyone
pairs of spinal nerves to allow memorization of certain
“learned” motor reflexes. The reflex recorder adds 1 to the
rating of a specific skill or skill group (Combat and Physical
skills only). Multiple recorders may be taken for multiple
skills, but the effects don’t stack. This bonus may be combined
with bonuses from other sources.

Now, since the Reflex Recorder adds directly to a Skill, and Skills are pretty much hard-capped in SR 4 ...

The questions ...

#1 - Can a character who has, let's use Pistols of 6, but does not possess the Aptitude Quality, make use of a Reflex Recorder?

#2 - Can a character with Pistols of 7, obviously already possessing the Aptitude Quality, gain any benefit from a Reflex Recorder?

#3 - Can a character who has Pistols of 7 (Skill 6 + Reflex Recorder), again already possessing (but having not really utilized) the Aptitude Quality, still purchase an additional level in the Skill?

Maybe more later ... smile.gif
Ranneko
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes because they have a skill of 6(7) rather than 7.
Jack Kain
Yes to all three the maximum would be the skill's rating x1.5

So basicly rating 3 reflex recorder is the max.
9 dice with out apititude (6 in skill 3 in skill wire)
or 10 Dice with apititude (7 in skill 3 in skill wire)

EDIT: Sorry I meant reflex recoreder
Fortune
QUOTE (Jack Kain)
So basicly rating 3 skill wires is the max.
9 dice with out apititude (6 in skill 3 in skill wire)
or 10 Dice with apititude (7 in skill 3 in skill wire)

Skillwires do not grant a bonus to Skills in any way. They grant the ability to use the chipped Skills already imprinted on ActiveSofts.
Jack Kain
Sorry got skill wire and reflex recorder confused again.
fistandantilus4.0
This is a perfect example of the fluff I miss. Was it Street Sam catalog, talking about the guy with a reflex recorder. Goes through some shadowtalk about how he was acting as a sniper, and ended up shooting the guy he had his sites on, because of his hyped reflexes from the recorder.
hobgoblin
problem is that with the number of items and implants that have been showing up in SR over the versions, having shadowtalk to flesh out each of them will lead to each book being as thick as the BBB, with matching cost...

or they can spread them over multiple books, but then people will cry foul about fanpro trying to milk the market.
fistandantilus4.0
Oh I know the reasoning, and it makes sense. But it still makes me sad. frown.gif
hobgoblin
hey, i miss the old shadowtalk just as much as you do. nothing like reading the VR 2.0 opening wink.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Jack Kain)

reflex recorders have no rating. they are all rating 1, effectively, as currently in the rules.
Perssek
Hey, was it on Cybertechnology? I can remember the shadowtalk over hatchetman´s full cyborg transformation with a little help from cybermancy or something like that (don´t have the books with me right now).

Now THAT was flavour text!
knasser
QUOTE (Jaid)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 2 2006, 08:20 PM)

reflex recorders have no rating. they are all rating 1, effectively, as currently in the rules.

*sigh* And how long is it until Augmented is released? They better have some higher rating RR's in there. I want some serious power creep from this book.
Jaid
QUOTE (knasser)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Nov 2 2006, 10:23 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Nov 2 2006, 08:20 PM)

*sigh* And how long is it until Augmented is released? They better have some higher rating RR's in there. I want some serious power creep from this book.

it would be nice, if only because mundanes could certainly benefit from being able to keep up with those pesky awakened types... should probably be limited to rating 2 at chargen though, imo.

though i don't know so much about needing power creep as a generalised thing, so much as 'power creep' in certain, specific (ie currently underpowered comparatively) areas.

for example, it would be nice to see power creep in the form of APDS rounds actually being worthwhile. (or, alternately, explosive and ex-ex rounds losing a little bit of power would work too... )

it would be nice to see some 'power creep' on cyberlimbs (read: make them useful at all).

it would be nice to see some 'power creep' in terms of variety of things that mundanes/cybered characters can do.

it would not be particularly nice to see power creep in the sense of new toys that the players will never get to use. i wouldn't particularly care to see skillwires/skillsofts go up to infinite ratings. and i don't think we need to see a 5 IP cyber either.
BishopMcQ
I would actually prefer the power not to creep drastically with each new source book. To do so would remind me of Rifts, where characters are immediately slaughtered by the next new thing, because there was little attempt made to balance the system.
fistandantilus4.0
I wouldn't really consider things from augmentation to be power creep. They're core supplements, like Street Magic. Thigns that are in there are already in the core book, and expanded on. Think of the cyber that's missing from M&M, like kid stealth legs ( biggrin.gif ), whatever the encephelon is update as, move-by-wire, that sort of thing. These are pre-existing things that would/should be available, and just have been updated yet, with a couple of new things most likely. It's not SOTA 2070. (well, it is but it isn't).
knasser

When I say power creep, I guess what I mean is not an ever-increasing spiral of munchkinism, it's more as a balance to Street Magic. I.e. Street Magic didn't immediately make mages more powerful, but it did open up a lot of new options and it introduced some heavy hitters. The equivalent in Arsenal and Augmentation is to generate some of the same open-ended potential that mages have. If all the whiz-bang super-toys have suitably high price tags and availability, then the GM always has the possibility of keeping them out of player hands and power-creep in check. But the ceiling on Samurai power needs to be lifted, if only to improve the view. Right now, it feels a little claustrophobic.
fistandantilus4.0
Things won't change much as long as their are skill caps, and I don't really see that changing. Other than that, we just go back to mage vs samurai.
Jaid
ah, but you can always at least add some variety to what the sammy can do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012