Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: classic runners
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
whitezero
hey all! dumpshock's hungriest (and least learned)info-monder here again...anyone know where i can dig up histories on some of the prime runners who arent really in any of the novels...wedge, hatchetman, matador, fastjack and the like...any info would be greatly apreciated!
Fortune
The books Prime Runners and Target: Matrix, along with Cybertechnology would be good places to start.

Your best bet though, is to ask specific questions here, as most of the shadowtalkers are not described in detail in one place.

For instance, Matador is most definitely dead, and Hatchetman is almost certainly so.
tisoz
Wasn't Hatchetman's big story in Cybertechnology, and Fields of Fire had a big long narrative by Matador.

Fastjack was a peripheral character way back in the first trilogy by Charrette.

Unfortunately, a lot of the information is laced through several rulebooks, adventure modules and/or novels and short stories, as well as another game system - Earthdawn.

Wedge... isn't he that Star Wars Fighter jock?
Justin Cray
Get all the books and all sourcebooks and read them. No seriously, you should read everything.

On a similar note...
Why not make up histories yourself? There are some interesting shadowtalkers without any stats or coverage, just pick one you like (from the writing) and go to town. Should they get retconned by FanPro just go "Pshh!" and ignore them. cool.gif
Grinder
QUOTE (tisoz)
Unfortunately, a lot of the information is laced through several rulebooks, adventure modules and/or novels and short stories, as well as another game system - Earthdawn.

Earthdawn gives an insight into the many many (too many?) dragons, drakes and IEs, but doesn't really portray classic runners like Argent, Sally Tsung or Hatchetman.
whitezero
so hatchetman is "the" original cyberzombie right? ive been able to glean that info and picador(who i believe is matador's protege) says that matador is dead in the new runner havens book right...im also pretty sure there is shadowtalk in street magic or runner havens about wedge being dead as well, but im kinda looking more for history, not to use in any games or as plot points but jsut to get a feel for some of the important runners in the canon...also is fastjack in the never deal with adragon trilogy...i thought the main decker in those books was doger...well i havent read them in prolly close to 10 years so that could explain my foggyness!
whitezero
also alot of the narrative shadowtalk in the sr4 rulebook i done by fastjack, so he seems to be a pretty long lived and successfull runner anyone got an idea as to his age and race?
Angelone
Fastjack was born during the 1990's, he mentions it a few times. Including the RAS when he's fighting off the otaku trying to crash shadowland. Something along the lines of "I've lived for six decades and have dealt with better snotnosed brats than you." I think he may have been one of the original Echo Mirage deckers.

Wedge is dead as of the SSG, along with Rikki Ratboy because they "got sloppy". Hatchetman's backstory is pretty fully covered in his Cybertechnology narrative.

I know Wedge was a big "gun nut" and shot off something to the effect of 50,000 rounds a week.
jklst14
If I remember correctly, Wedge wrote the "how to be a runner" essay at the end of the original Street Sam Catalog.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (whitezero)
so hatchetman is "the" original cyberzombie right?

He's among the first, he wasn't the first.
lorechaser
QUOTE (Angelone)
I think he may have been one of the original Echo Mirage deckers.

Wedge is dead as of the SSG, along with Rikki Ratboy because they "got sloppy". Hatchetman's backstory is pretty fully covered in his Cybertechnology narrative.

Man, I'd forgotten about Rikki Ratboy.

And yeah, I don't remember a particular reference, but I always assumed that Fastjack was one of the Echo Mirage guys.
Fortune
QUOTE (Angelone)
Fastjack was born during the 1990's, he mentions it a few times. Including the RAS when he's fighting off the otaku trying to crash shadowland. Something along the lines of "I've lived for six decades and have dealt with better snotnosed brats than you." I think he may have been one of the original Echo Mirage deckers.

According to all accounts, including his own, Fastjack was not a member of Echo Mirage. He was born in 1999.
Dale
Rikki Ratboy 4 Evar !
yesman
was it Captain Chaos that was involved with Echo Mirage? I swear I remember somebody big was.
Fortune
QUOTE (yesman @ Nov 7 2006, 01:12 PM)
was it Captain Chaos that was involved with Echo Mirage?  I swear I remember somebody big was.

Nope. You might be thinking about Damian Knight (aka David Gavilan) though. wink.gif
Dog
Many of these characters were first introduced in the example sidebars in 1ed.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Angelone)
I think he may have been one of the original Echo Mirage deckers.

Well, if you count novels, he wasn't.
In the novel "Night's Pawn" the main character (a former Russian special ops soldier turned freelancer, now more or less retired) hears about the Echo Mirage rumor but dismisses it as he knows (or thinks to know) every single EM member's name and fate - with FastJack not among them.
Large Mike

I can tell you with absolute certainty that FJ was not one of the Echo Mirage guys.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Dog)
Many of these characters were first introduced in the example sidebars in 1ed.

Yeah, about that:

QUOTE (Shadowrun first edition core rules @ p.87)
    "By the Powers of the Deep, I summon thee!" The closing words of the invocation echoed and died away. Harlequin was bending the full force of his magic to open the gates to the power of the astral planes. The space within the complex binding pattern shimmered with blue-green light as the Water Elemental began to materialize. "Gotcha, babe," the mage murmured.
    His smug grin vanished as a bolt of pain jagged through him. The sickening realization that he had overextended his powers was cut off with his consciousness. The last sight Harlequin saw was the amorphous bulk of the Elemental as it began to flow from the now-useless binding pattern into the circle.
    Harlequin has a Charisma Rating of 3 and a Magic Rating of 5. He was conjuring an elemental with a Force Rating of 8. Calculate Drain:
    Target Number = Force of spirit = 8.
    Charisma is less than half the force = D1.
    Harlequin had to resist a Drain of 8D1 with his Charisma. Rolling only three dice, he gambled that he could make at least one success. Harlequin rolled 3, 3, 5. He was pushing the rite, so when he blew the Drain, it killed him. Of course, had it simply knocked him out, the Elemental would have had him for lunch, so maybe Harlequin got an easy out.
whitezero
lol perhaps that was written before they had really fleshed out who or what harlequin actually was!
Angelone
Maybe there's more than one person who goes by that. I remember someone complaining about all the people running around with the name Nemesis. Hell in one of my games another player and I came up with the same streetname for our characters.

Fortune
That isn't the real Harly. That little section doesn't tell the real story. That Elemental was actually sent by the painted one himself to pay the imposter a visit. It just happened to arrive at an opportune moment. wink.gif

I mean, really!!! Charisma of 3 and Magic of 5??? rotfl.gif
Dog
The legwork section in H1 addressed that.
Hocus Pocus
i still can't believe rikki ratboy is dead frown.gif one of my favorite characters frown.gif

wath about Smiley? or the guy that says (auroa has really "big guns" too) in the aztlan book?
Fire Hawk
Angelone: Hell in one of my games another player and I came up with the same streetname for our characters.

Well, in some situations, that can be expected. How many PC 'Sammies have you seen named "Switchblade"?
Angelone
QUOTE (Fire Hawk @ Nov 8 2006, 10:16 PM)
Angelone: Hell in one of my games another player and I came up with the same streetname for our characters.

Well, in some situations, that can be expected. How many PC 'Sammies have you seen named "Switchblade"?

It was Flux, I was a mage, the other character was a rigger. I kept the name.

Aurora died, got cut up by a blood mage. Was it Smiling Bandit that made the "big guns" comment?

EDIT- Actually never have seen a sammy named Switchblade. Neo on the other hand...
SL James
QUOTE (Angelone)
Maybe there's more than one person who goes by that. I remember someone complaining about all the people running around with the name Nemesis. Hell in one of my games another player and I came up with the same streetname for our characters.

The opening fiction to the 2nd ed Shadowrun Companion.
PirateChef
Fastjack states that he wasn'ta member of Echo Mirage, but that he wsa friends with several of the members and that they were damn fine people.

SR4, Page 27:

"Most of the surviving members of Echo Mirage disappeared afterward into the private sector, taking much of their knowledge with them. Only a few known team members ever resurfaced; nobody knows where the rest are today. I know that some think I might have been a part of all that - I only wish I had been, because they were among the finest people I have ever known."
lorechaser
Classic way to divert suspicion!
Fortune
QUOTE (lorechaser)
Classic way to divert suspicion!

Except that every single person that would know the truth has made a statement to the same effect.
Kagetenshi
Then it's proven. There's a conspiracy of silence.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012